Search Unity

Asset Store version 1 is closing

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Rowlan, Apr 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rowlan

Rowlan

I just saw this:

closing.png

Please don't! I still revert to the old store because the download & import using the Asset Store version 2 inside Unity just doesn't work.

2. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

This is bad news. I really really dislike the new version.

3. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

The new site won't even load half the time in Safari. I can't navigate with internal links to other parts of the store because the page never finishes loading.

I would probably use the new store if I could.

4. Fsilva

Fsilva

Why Unity will forcing us to use this "asset store version 2", the "asset store version 1" need to be improved and not make a "fancy" asset store that is not useful.
    If the new "asset store version 2" is good, why a lot of people is still using the old one?o_O

Ony, DrInternet, DgoodingIndi and 6 others like this.
  5. KarlGG

KarlGG

We can't have nice things.

6. MrG

MrG

The new one needs a ton of work to be as good as the old one.

Ony, Gekigengar, daisySa and 7 others like this.
  7. RoyS

RoyS

Can't find jack diddly on the new store...especially older stuff. I never use the new store.

Ony, Gekigengar, daisySa and 7 others like this.
  8. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Grrrr :confused:

Ony, Gekigengar and hopeful like this.
  9. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Make a show all assets button please, I don't want to press next 20 times, I have more than a 1000 assets bought

artysta, Ony, Gekigengar and 11 others like this.
  10. KarlGG

KarlGG

And if you're using LTS it means you have to use that to install or update anything. :eek:

11. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

@LeonhardP Please don't let old but functional asset store die on us before the new one is proven to be better.
    This is a serious concern.

Metron, daisySa, TeagansDad and 5 others like this.
  12. RoyS

RoyS

Does anyone know when the old store is closing? I can't find anything on it and my latest asset store newsletter doesn't mention anything either.

13. KarlGG

KarlGG

There's no mention that I know of, just the banner on the old store saying "this is closing soon"

14. tcmeric

tcmeric

Pretty horrible. I also only use asset store 1. ESPECIALLY inside of unity. Asset store 2 inside of unity is the worst.

Ony, ikazrima, DgoodingIndi and 8 others like this.
  15. mgear

mgear

closing around mid april (was said in the asset publishers forum)

and to make things worse, it was mentioned that
    some kind of next beta version home page for the store will be opened at the same time..?

hopeful and JBR-games like this.
  16. Deleted User

Deleted User

17. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Did any of the Asset Store publishers complain about this decision?

JBR-games likes this.
  18. Fsilva

Fsilva

I still don't know any one that know both asset store versions that say the version 2 is better...
    The unity staff know this? like @AndrewAssetStore @caitlyn @caitlyn_unity @Aurore @Aras
    Please, someone tell us that this is a 1st april prank. ( it's not funny! )

19. DigitalSalmon

DigitalSalmon

Store V2 could really benefit from some love. This will be even more true if it's the only option. Hopefully it'll get the attention it needs (It's the backbone of so many peoples development, and it supports many, many development teams in using Unity).

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  20. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Version 2 seems poorly thought out and less functional than the old one.

Ony, Gekigengar, Metron and 8 others like this.
  21. XCPU

XCPU

Much better filters on the old store so I use that when looking for things,
    but the Assets themselves have better info, version, release date, etc.
    The new store preview, video and pics is a pain though.
    Also NEW assets, old store seems to actually show New assets,
    instead of 'impressive' 9 month old ones the New Store does, it seems sometimes.

Ony, SugoiDev, Circool and 4 others like this.
  22. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Can’t we just disable the new store and keep the old one? That way unity does not need to maintain two stores.
    And the users will be happy = win win

artysta, Ony, Gekigengar and 6 others like this.
  23. MrIconic

MrIconic

Can you just leave us alone and not take away version 1?

keepversion1_01.png keepversion1_02.png
    keepversion1_03.png

keepversion1_04.png

Ony, Gekigengar, daisySa and 9 others like this.
  24. Paradoks

Paradoks

that is funny, 100% of people i know are using the old store: faster and more functional.
    Me i would put this banner instead:

Ha ha

xucian, joshcamas, Ony and 20 others like this.
  25. JBR-games

JBR-games

Well looks like shortly I'll have to download anything I feel is important. And out of protest I will no longer being buying assets off asset store....

Shiny doesn't mean better!!!

Ony, Lars-Steenhoff and Fsilva like this.
  26. JBR-games

JBR-games

Although i knew this day was coming.. I was expecting they would atleast fix some of the many issues it had. But from what i can tell they havnt touched it in many months.. Mobile use is still unusable, cant properly sort assets. Loads only a handful at a time. Truely a sad day..

XGT08 and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  27. JBR-games

JBR-games

Ive spent $300-$600 a year for 4-5 years.. But that ends today...

Ony, Fsilva, wetcircuit and 1 other person like this.
  28. Jaimi

Jaimi

That's the only version of the Asset store that works!!!

I can't believe they'd shoot themselves in the foot like that.

Ony, Gekigengar, Metron and 5 others like this.
  29. hopeful

hopeful

Farewell, old UAS! I hope to see you again, should a rollback occur! ;)

Gekigengar and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  30. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

31. RadioactiveXP

RadioactiveXP

Wow! With someone that has more than 3000 assets - it is impossible to download or search for anything on either store. Let alone figure out what's been updated. Honestly both stores aren't very good. They should open an API to the store and let some one build something that knows how to do ecommerce - clearly they don't. It is such a hindrance trying to do anything with either of them...

Fix the experience with either of them, and then close the other; don't close something that at least works for some people.

transat, Gekigengar, daisySa and 5 others like this.
  32. malkere

malkere

I always immediately switch to the old store.
    On the new store I can see max 21 assets on the screen, and only 7 in the "my assets" section
    On the old store I can see max 30 assets on the screen, and 12 in the "downloads" section
    That's really 99% of the reason why I never use the new store. It's bloated, full of extra space and padding that just makes it harder to navigate. We're not buying hot new rap albums at tower records, we don't need flash and frills. We need to be able to filter through thousands of assets in a fast and neatly organized manner. The new store moves in the wrong direction.

Ony, truefx001, Gekigengar and 7 others like this.
  33. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

This is very disappointing news.

I always immediately switch to the old Asset Store when accessing it from inside Unity. The new store is significantly slower whether you're viewing it from a web browser or within Unity, but it's worse within Unity.

(Only reason I don't immediately switch to the old store when viewing in a web browser is that I have the old version bookmarked already)

The new store is also terrible on a mobile device. Not only is is slow (even on a new phone like my Pixel 3), but the screenshots open at only slightly larger than the thumbnail size and you can't zoom in.

Like many others, my list of purchased assets numbers well into the hundreds. What we really need is a better interface for managing these, as it's extremely slow doing it through the Asset Store tab (either version). Grab Yer Assets is a lifesaver -- I would go insane having to wait for my downloads tab to load up every time. If only the Asset Store API would allow tools like GYA to download updates...

PhannGor, Ony, Gekigengar and 9 others like this.
  34. Kanos

Kanos

I hate the fact that there is a button you have to keep pressing to load the assets you own to view them.
    Then it takes an eternity for those assets to load. What the hell is it doing to take so long???
    That list should load instantly and there should be an option to load all your assets rather than hit a button over and over.

Also the layout is too spaced.

Ony, Gekigengar, SugoiDev and 4 others like this.
  35. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Expect AS v2 to mutate into v3.

36. hopeful

hopeful

If v3 looks and acts like v1, that would be a help. ;)

But they've had oodles of time to develop v3 and implement it in place of v2, so ... IDK what's really going on. It doesn't sound like forward movement.

TeagansDad, JBR-games and SugoiDev like this.
  37. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

This is really surprising given the amount of bad feedback (which has not been dealt with to date) the new asset store gets. After all the feedback it still functions the same so I am surprised they are just forcing us onto it.

Feels a bit like when they killed the job hunting forum area and forced everyone onto connect, and killed off a large portion of the unity contract work market in the process.

Ony, StevenPicard, JBR-games and 4 others like this.
  38. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

Move to v2 has totally no sense. There is only one reason came in my head - they spend a lot of money to write some very controversial v2 store, but greed don't allow them to throw it to trash.

39. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

In my guess the ones that created the new store don't own more than 5 assets themselves, otherwise they would know what a hassle it is to import the assets you already bought into unity, and would actually do something about it.

Ony, daisySa, ikazrima and 8 others like this.
  40. DgoodingIndi

DgoodingIndi

R.I.P. old Asset store.

The last storefront I could use where I could search for something I see at least 20 results at once.
    Unreal, Cubebrush, Turbosquid, Sketchfab. All of them have that giant button deal I just really don't enjoy.

Plus new asset store loads slower than literally all of them. Making it go from my favorite to least favorite.

Ony, hopeful, JBR-games and 1 other person like this.
  41. roykoma

roykoma

At least make version 2 fully functional first. The filter-function for mobile is still missing, so you can not really use the search there.The only good think I notices about the new asset store yet is looking at bought assets. Having over 3000 assets this took a few minutes on the old store, but only seconds on the new one.

Everything else was better on the old store. If you want to make your userbase happy:
    • keep the old store
    • give it a redesign if you need to (making the design more modern, but keeping the very useful layout and all the functionality)
    • implement optional paging when looking through bought assets.

Ony and StevenPicard like this.
  42. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

the reason why it is faster to load is the same reason I dislike the new store. It shows only a few results. I need to see all my assets and fast, unity should cache all the thumbnails for assets that I bought locally, and then only do a version control to see what assets are out of date.
    that way even a 1000 assets will load fast

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  43. JBR-games

JBR-games

And as usual since Unity doesn't like what we have to say they just ignore us...

Ony likes this.
  44. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

There's a lot of great feedback in this thread. I hope Unity takes notice.

Circool likes this.
  45. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Its not the first time we gave feedback

https://forum.unity.com/threads/asset-store-beta-feedback.476701/

https://forum.unity.com/threads/new-asset-store-isnt-ready-for-primetime.507886/

Ony, hopeful, JBR-games and 1 other person like this.
  46. mgear

mgear

47. drcrck

drcrck

Version 2 is way slower and lacks many functions =\

48. SonicBloomEric

SonicBloomEric

Yes. The Asset Store Publishers forum (only accessible to publishers) has had multiple threads on the topic, covering not only issues with the Asset Store page within Unity, but also the fact that very little has changed with V2 since it launched in "beta" several years ago, regardless of the large amount of usability feedback that was provided.

The Asset Store Publisher Advisory Panel has also been voicing concern to the Asset Store team within Unity pretty much from the start.

For the record, the Asset Store tab in Unity doesn't even work anymore in versions of Unity earlier than 5.5. It does say something that this hasn't already been more widely reported by users...

Hopefully Unity will announce more solid plans about the store "transition" and some sort of roadmap for addressing concerns related to search, usability, browser compatibility, etc.

Ony, JBR-games, hopeful and 3 others like this.
  49. sxa

sxa

The website version of V2 is fine for browsing, but not quite as good for finding out details about an asset. Inside Unity, though, V2 is pretty much unusable here. And the fact that there's no 'update all' is ridiculous. Very poor decision.

50. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

hey guys, be sure that they're listening to your feedback.
    even if doesn't look like it most of the time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.