Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

New asset store isn't ready for primetime

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frosted, Dec 7, 2017.

1. frosted

frosted

Navigation is difficult. Basic functionality is a mess. I still can't like - click on an asset to view it's page (chrome). The "quick view" button works, but the main button doesn't. The navigation dropdown to the left of the search bar doesn't work. Like basic functionality.

I thought the asset store was a major profit center for UT?

I'm sure it encourages people to click on the massive promotional screens more often, but I can't imagine this driving sales like the old one did.

JBR-games, elias_t and mgear like this.
  2. frosted

frosted

The best part is when checkout doesn't work.

chrome_2017-12-07_09-17-01.png
    and it just spins forever.

schmosef and Shizola like this.
  3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Sure... it may be broken and not functional, but I would still call it an improvement. ;)

schmosef, Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  4. Player7

Player7

it's also got that S***ty bold google roboto font for everything look to it which makes the whole site look dumbed down to me.

search bar no long has a quicker access to search filters either
    no way to check package contents
    white space padding all over the place making the layout just really bloated and poor use of pixel space. Maybe that crappy layouts are for people who view websites in fullsceen at 4k.. not me or most people. etc

it's not really much of an improvement on anything..I'm failing to see any benefits to using it... is there anything good about it that I'm missing? because while the old one works I'll use that to check the store.

JBR-games and elias_t like this.
  5. ScoobyNooby

ScoobyNooby

presentation is pretty good. but I switched back to old version because I couldn't purchase any assets.

AndrewAssetStore likes this.
  6. Amon

Amon

It works pretty well for me. I can always find what I'm looking for. I bought Bolt Visual Scripting, a few 3d models and upgraded to Platformer Pro, all went smoothly at checkout and without a hitch.

The Unity Store is, for me, without a shadow of a doubt the best digital store for game creation assets I have ever been to or experienced. The new version is much better imho.

7. landon912

landon912

This is occurring to me with around 30% frequency. Additionally, the only way to open an asset's dedicated page is through -> "Quick Look" -> "View Full Detail". Simply clicking on the asset does not open it's page.

Running Microsoft Edge 41.16299.15.0

8. Apposl

Apposl

Hated it and immediately switched back. I fear change.

Aiursrage2k likes this.
  9. recon0303

recon0303

I disagree, as someone who designs UX/UI, I find the search to be terrible...it reminds me of what Unreal did....It makes it harder to find assets.... Unreal market place search is terrible.... I reverted back to the old as I find the old easier to deal with...I also hated that you Unity got rid of the invoice numbers on our account.... Since June... Now we have to go to our email and find each email and dig though to find which asset is which and what is what invoice.,...pain in the butt...Before I could go to my account and it showed the invoice number...

10. Whippets

Whippets

Can't find a button for "show me all new assets in date order" along with showing more assets per page, which is the first thing I always go for with the old store, and that was crappy to only showing the last 10 in side bar.

Simple subset ordered searches from a database shouldn't be tricky.

JBR-games likes this.
  11. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I didn’t say it was any good, just less terrible. Mostly from a functional point of view. From a UX standpoint, neither is very good.

recon0303 likes this.
  12. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

I think it is ugly as sin and an unintuitive mess. It reminds me of sites doing web 2.0 and ignorant of the fact it actually makes user navigation harder - not easier. More mouse travel, less usable information, and it is harder to navigate. It serves no purpose. It makes it harder to get less information - I personally don't even think it is salvageable.

elias_t, ikazrima, frosted and 5 others like this.
  13. recon0303

recon0303

Ya I agree.

Apposl likes this.
  14. recon0303

recon0303

Ya I agree, both are bad. but used to the old one.

15. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

Don't like it at all. I think it is a step backwards.

JBR-games and Martin_H like this.
  16. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I have to update all my assets in the asset store by december 30th to remove javascript or they all get deprecated ( i dont even use javascript) because unity decided to disable it, what a pain. I cant believe this isnt more of an issue

17. LaneFox

LaneFox

The old one has more practical UI. The new one has a better back end but much worse 'modern' UI.

I think they both are fairly terrible, so I don't really care much. Kind of a toss up.

18. frosted

frosted

I was looking for some icons today.

The new asset store is "locked" for me, with the "back to old store" button redirecting for the new store. I tried to use it but it was tedious.

I had to open the asset store in incognito in order to get back to the old store. I couldn't find anything I wanted, but at least I was able to efficiently view a ton of assets fairly quickly.

The new asset store is 100% about impulse buys and promotion, not about serving the customer.

elias_t, Ryiah and Martin_H like this.
  19. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm able to continue swapping back and forth on Chrome 62. You may have just caught it in a moment they were fiddling.

20. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Why would you have to update your assets if they don't include any JS?

21. ikazrima

ikazrima

If I switch to the new store, it logs me out. Then if I switch to the old store, it automatically redirects me to the new store. Have to re-login in the new store to access the old one. Not that it's a big problem, just an annoyance.

So far I've never made any purchase on the new store. The layout scares me away to browse anything, actually.

Ony likes this.
  22. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that we're only disabling assets that actually contain .js files. @Aiursrage2k if you think you're not using any Unityscript in your packages and that we've mis-identified something, could you DM me the package details and I'll go investigate?

23. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

If you're testing out the new Asset Store beta I strongly suggest that you submit feedback to the team through the feedback tab floating on the right of the webpage.

24. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

You can do a blank search: https://assetstore.unity.com/search

F
    rom there, you can set parameters and if you'd like save the URL: https://assetstore.unity.com/search/?order_by=updated&q=released%3A7&q=type%3Acontent&rows=42

I
    f you don't mind a longer load time, and don't want to click through as many pages, just change the URL some more: https://assetstore.unity.com/search/?order_by=updated&q=released:7&q=type:content&rows=500

25. Ryiah

Ryiah

Is there a good reason why the filters directly below this search are not present on the store's front page?

It's not showing up at all for me.

JBR-games likes this.
  26. LaneFox

LaneFox

The real question is why a user would have to change the URL to get a better page structure instead of having a dropdown exposed for them.

JBR-games, angrypenguin and Ryiah like this.
  27. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Its probably the standard assets.

28. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

That's not good, it should be right here. Feedback button.jpg

If you're not seeing it would you mind sharing your OS / Browser with me? Feel free to DM if you prefer.

The filter to the left of the search bar reflects the navigation bar on the top of the Asset Store beta. The lists on the home page of the beta are curated lists, not filters or categories.

It would be great if you could drop that feedback to us through the feedback tab!

29. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just checked again and it still isn't there. I even tried clicking the spot to see if anything would happen but it didn't. I'm on Windows 10 64-bit Version 10.0.14393 with Chrome Version 63.0.3239.84 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Edit: I just had a moment of insight and tried disabling my adblocker (uBlock Origin). After refreshing the feedback tab showed up and some of the other functionality I thought was just an oversight is actually working now. :p

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  30. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

Good to know! I'm surprised mine doesn't block it, I'll let the team know that is an issue.