Search Unity

Big list of suggestions about new design of Asset Store (it need serious work)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Artaani, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Artaani

Artaani

1. Horizontal scroll areas on the main page is very bad design choice. Very uncomfortable to read. Remove it and replace with normal vertical grid list.

2. Too much free space. Redesign it.

assetstore (1).png

3. Why this ads here in the footer? I already saw this in the main scroll area in the header, no need to show it in the footer again, It looks silly.

assetstore (2).png

Same here

assetstore (3).png

4. This semi transparent icon on the right side is not readable and have no any sense. Looks like a visual garbage. Wrong design solution, replace it with arrow.

assetstore (4).png

5. If you want to use horizontal sliders, at least make animation faster 2-3 times. It is too slow and unreadable during animation.

6. Date of review on the right alignment? There is nothing else and a huge amount of free space between texts. Wrong design solution. Move it to the left side and \ or avoid full width texts.

assetstore (5).png

7. IMPORTANT While I am browsing asset store, I want to open a lot of assets in new tab using middle mouse button. But I can't. Even left mouse button do nothing. I need to click on "quick look" and after that click "View Full details". Two different clicks in order to open asset in new tab + 1 additional click to return back at the browser! Super wrong design choice! Make it possible to MMB click on the asset. LMB too. Who need this "quick look" button?

theANMATOR2b, Romenics and mgear like this.
  2. Artaani

Artaani

Only 5 images per post is allowed. So I will continue my list in the comments.

8. When asset opened In new window, expand "show more" by default. Earlier I needed just to scroll description with mouse wheel, now I need to locate small blue button and click on it. Not convenient. Just expand it by default or place in scroll rect as in previous version. By the way. This "gradient to transparent" text effect looks bad. Remove it, just cut the text without any gradient to transparent.

assetstore (8).png

9. It is no longer possible to filter "release date" by custom value (only 1 or 6 months ago) but no 90 or 95 days ago, as it was possible before. Return slider back (as for price range slider)

10. "Updated" slider are gone. Return it back. It can be useful in some cases (in order to exclude abandoned assets.

11. "Maximum size" slider are gone. Actually I never used it. But maybe someone need it? Return it back if possible. But if you are sure that this slider is not required, okay. It can be removed.

12. When asset store opened in Unity, there is no top bar with categories so I can't select any category

assetstore (7).png

13. If asset was updated but I already downloaded this asset long time ago, I will not have "Update" button. Just "Import" button instead. Seems like a bug?

14. "Star rating" filter is gone. For example I want to display only 5 stars assets. Return it back.

15. You are still didn't added a quick button to the support thread on the Unity forum as I suggested here.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/sug...show-full-hd-screenshots.486070/#post-3169061

And similar suggestion here
    https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/a-support-forum-built-into-the-asset-store

Add this button near "support website" button. Most developers does not have good website. But users need a support forum. Will be better if it will be in the dedicated button instead of somewhere in description.

This is quite important aspect of asset store. Support.

16. Send email to every asset store developer and ask them to re-upload a screenshots in fullHD. Despite the fact that new version allows fullHD screenshots, size of most screenshots is ridiculously small.

17. Review sections have full with text block! This is wrong design solution. Avoid full width texts. Make it 2 times smaller.

18. Small mistake in layout.

assetstore (10).png

19. Percentage of discount no longer displayed (such as 20%). Return it back.

assetstore (11).png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, I don't like the new design : (
    And this is not a classic "previous was better because I am already familiar with it!"
    New design really have issues in terms of functionality and also it have many wrong visual design solutions (this is not my taste, it is a rules of functional UI). Mostly these issues related to full width design + some smaller aspects which I described above.

I even can't say why new design is better.
    Well, it works faster in Unity Editor, icons a bit bigger, and seems like new design allows to upload fullHD screenshots (but I still didn't saw any asset with fullHD screeshots because (look item number 16)

But these advantages can be easily achieved with small tweaks of "old" Asset Store design.

To be honest, I don't see any reasons to completely redesign Asset Store design. Especially if new version have so many flaws in comparison with previous one.

But if you already started this process and you don't want to roll back, let's try to develop new design to the usable state (because now I can't use it at all, I am always use "old" design).

Hope people from Unity will read this. If I described something bad and \ or you will need additional information or suggestions, feel free to ask. I will be glad to help.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Gekigengar, theANMATOR2b and Romenics like this.
  3. mgear

mgear

Middle button works in chrome, but not in firefox..
    that is probably one of my most used feature also, to open multiple tabs and then check them out..

theANMATOR2b and Artaani like this.
  4. Artaani

Artaani

Indeed. In that case it is a bug. Firefox is important and popular browser.

I didn't thought that such a simple function as "MMB click" may not work in different browsers. Seems like they are used really weird web technologies for this new asset store design.

5. Artaani

Artaani

6. xeleh

xeleh

This is a real good list of suggestions and I wish at least some of them got implemented someday. As an Asset Store publisher, I am really concerned about the quality of the new store.

In absence of a proper issuetracker for the Asset Store, a few publishers decided to start an unofficial issuetracker to gather all these issues in a central place where each issue could be discussed and tracked separately:

https://github.com/uas-publishers/uas-issuetracker/issues

Please feel free to use it.

mgear and AGregori like this.
  7. mgear

mgear

one other huge annoyance is if you click a link that goes to new store,
    then click 'shop old store', it doesnt take you to that same package ><

literally would take 5 minutes to fix that (by adding javascript or server side redirect, using package number)

Artaani likes this.
  8. mgear

mgear

description div starts fading already from the top it seems,
    yet it would be useful to be able to read it properly without fading, since those lines fits there..

also those lines are almost whole monitor wide (on regular 1920x1080 screen).. bit hard to read.

upload_2018-4-5_15-53-7.png

Artaani likes this.
  9. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I keep trying the new store, to see if they've gotten it right yet, but end up running away screaming each time. While I agree with many of the previously mentioned comments about wasted space, most of my beefs are with the "My Assets" section. It looks like they finally have "Status" sorting implemented, which means I can see which assets need to be updated at a glance, but there are still a few outstanding issues.

1. Layout: How about adding a layout preference, so that those who actually like the big multi-line listings for each asset can continue to use them, but those of us with hundreds of assets, who would prefer a more compact, single line display, can manage our assets without getting carpal tunnel from all the scrolling?

2. Scrolling: I noticed that when trying to scroll vertically, the scroll bar slider is invisible until after I've scrolled down a bit using the mouse scroll wheel. It seems to be hidden behind the banner at the top of the page initially. Here's what my assets page looks like when I'm at the top:

Scroll1.PNG

... and then after scrolling down half a dozen entries, the scroll bar slider finally makes an appearance:

Scroll2.PNG

When combined with item 1 above, this kind of thing makes me hate using the new store, and instantly reach for the "Shop on Old Store" button every time I go there.These seem like pretty basic web GUI issues, so should be easy enough to fix... except that everyone appears so intent on making complex, heavily scripted web pages lately, they may have forgotten how to make simple pages that actually work. :(

Artaani likes this.