Search Unity

[Poll] Bring the old Asset Store Back !!!!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SukhvinderSingh, Jan 24, 2018.

?

Is the new store better?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. No

161 vote(s)
    91.0%
  1. SukhvinderSingh

SukhvinderSingh

The new asset store is just plain annoying. It is slow and its UI/UX is also not intuitive according to my experience plus the layout looks cluttered. Sure, there is a way to revert back but it requires the user to sign in and then click on the option to revert back but considering the fact most of the users, who will be just browsing for assets without signing in, will be automatically redirected to the new store.
    Now due to this, I have lost many pageviews on my asset's page. Google Analytics has stopped working and I have no idea whether it's the GA not tracking pageviews or actually user's are not visiting my assets. The consequence- I am losing sales.
    The reason I think behind this is not so good design of the new store. I find it hard to navigate around.

I'm adding a poll. So please vote whether you like the new version or the older one was better.

Please add your response bellow so that everyone can interact on this thread about the problems being faced by them and to actually bring the old store back or how to make the new one function a little better.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    OZAV, Arisha and jonfinlay like this.
  2. Gunhi

Gunhi

Yes it is! The new asset store is a huge failure from Unity!

OZAV and Arisha like this.
  3. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

I also like the old one more.
    I regulary check latest changes of all assets and need more clicks now :)
    And in my opinion the older Version gave a better overview...

OZAV and Arisha like this.
  4. Gamer_66636

Gamer_66636

I agree. a simple design enhances the users experience since it becomes easier to look at and search for assets. in the new store there is too much links and buttons to navigate and unnesessary cosmetic updates. It is designed to look better not to "Function" better.

OZAV, Arisha and jonfinlay like this.
  5. SukhvinderSingh

SukhvinderSingh

Incorrectly aligned key image, the user has to do more number of clicks to preview anything and this destroys the user experience. Number of clicks and links navigated by the user should be minimum

Bad UI/UX design. Toooooooo small thumbnails. Destroyes intuitiveness and the user does not feel like checking them out. Preview image too small and too much whitespace around it. No button to scroll through them directly.

6. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

I noticed that they've already given back the option to use the old version on the PC, and the mobile version now defaults to the original (at least on my phone).

7. SukhvinderSingh

SukhvinderSingh

Actually, that's for users that are logged in. For those who are not logged in, will be automatically redirected to the new asset store.

8. LaneFox

LaneFox

There's been substantial feedback since they released it as a preview to publishers last year and even more feedback as they soft released it to the public.

I just assume that the UI/UX feedback was received but they don't agree with it or else they would have fixed it by now. There was often requests to use the Feedback button to send comments directly, which a lot of people did, but still no significant UI/UX improvements.

I guess it's fair to let them give it time so they can gather enough response on it but I think the response is pretty clear and the feedback is consistent. It's just generally not a good layout, it's slow, the search isn't as good and there's enough white space to start a race war.

chingwa, jonfinlay, mgear and 3 others like this.
  9. jjejj87

jjejj87

Please use the old Asset store but just add more tools to navigate.

For example,
    1. Force all publishers to change their old Unity Webplayer demos to the new WebGL.
    2. Add in the ability to sort by release date, (not just updated.)
    3. Add in info that show exactly how much further support will be given or planned features.
    4. Lower Unity's portion of the profit. (is it like 30% now?) seriously lower it to something like 10% and attract publishers. Why is Unity even profiting from this? Take the amount needed to maintain the store, and not more.
    5. Force all publisher to release 1080p youtube video that was recorded at 1080p screen resolution. (Some publishers use Virtual Box with 800x600 resolution....just bad marketing practice) I often find it hard to compare two competing products because the preview image/video is just crap.

RendCycle likes this.
  10. Josh_OAS

Josh_OAS

As some of us have been speaking about privately; no it is not better. It is a broken mess and has been for a while despite feedback. It's very disappointing.

11. sowatnow

sowatnow

Same thing happened to "commercial" forum, which got replaced by "Connect", which was a failure too.

devotid and Josh_OAS like this.
  12. dadude123

dadude123

whew, I wasn't so sure if maybe I'm just alone with my opinion (+a vocal minority in the forums)
    but that poll paints a pretty strong picture :eek:

The thing people don't like is very simple:
    We don't want a store where the main concern is "nice to look at"; we don't want the result of some sort of web-design-art challenge.

We want usability, no useless whitespace, no fancy nonsense.
    The ability to compare things quickly, sort, order with as few clicks as possible.

We don't want any dumb popups ("quick look"), slide-shows, or anything really that takes makes navigation take even 0.5sec longer.

Now, to get back to my main point. It's not that we have something against all the little details, its the whole thing that we don't like. The whole design philosophy.

We're not on the asset store for the viewing pleasure of a really fancy looking website.
    To put it as bluntly as possible: We're there to buy or sell stuff, nothing else.

Remove whitespace; remove fade in/out animations; remove quick look.
    On a specific details page of an asset: make the "slide show" scroll thing as large as possible. We don't want to click "next", then wait 0.4s before being able to click it again, just to get to the portion of the screenshots that are actually interesting. (Granted this was a problem in the old store as well; but it was not even fixed in the new one, same problem. The only change was that the scroll view is now vertical)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    devotid and Josh_OAS like this.
  13. Arisha

Arisha

The New AssetStore 2.0 is a TRASH!!!
    The Old AssetStore is PROFESSIONAL and USEFUL!

nikosurfing, Gunhi and Josh_OAS like this.
  14. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

remember the new (old) forum ? #neverforget

wood333, chingwa, mgear and 2 others like this.
  15. Arisha

Arisha

AssetStore 2.0 - the same story ...

Josh_OAS likes this.
  16. nasos_333

nasos_333

Even if the new store worked and did not have huge bugs like it does now, the bloated categories and huge icons that double or triple the browsing effort make the experience much worse as well so there is no real point in this new site.

Every single thing so far is a worse experience to me. The text in the pages must be activated to see which is crazy bad. The reviews preview is confusing. The images are small and cropped. The reviews now take up multiple pages and you need huge effort to go through. Everything is bigger and feels like in your face and floating out of the screen. Generally it is a crazy bad experience versus the elegant and tight old store.

The new forum had the same issue, everything was bigger, more interactive and fancier but was much much harder and more cumbersome to use, like the new store.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    devotid, Mark_01, AltSoftLab and 3 others like this.
  17. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Exactly. You summed it up perfectly. It's really not clear what they are thinking. The new forum is only in black and white as well, just can't understand the logic, it's not like they needed to save colour.

Josh_OAS likes this.
  18. SukhvinderSingh

SukhvinderSingh

One thing I have noticed is that the rankings of my assets have fallen down in the new asset store. Earlier it used to be somewhere on the 1st page but now it is on the 6th page.

19. Gamer_66636

Gamer_66636

www.lingscars.com <- even this website is better and more functional than the new store. LOL! :p:p:p

20. superjayman

superjayman

30% for Unity for essentially not doing anything apart from listing the Asset is ridiculous, it should be more like 10%. How does Unity justify 30%??

21. cybersoft

cybersoft

You are right the newest Asset Store design and functionality are a very poor quality.

22. coverpage

coverpage

The only thing I miss from the old store is the stronger filter capability. The new store filtering capability is a subset of the old store which I think is a compromise with little gain.

There are plenty of things better in the new store like full width, peeking asset, visually better composition, instant search suggestion.

23. TonyLi

TonyLi

This is exactly the problem. The old store is built on legacy code that makes it very difficult to add new features. The Asset Store team has been putting a huge amount of work into the back-end system to make it faster and easier to add new features. I think it will just take some time to get the customer-facing front-end where they ultimately want it to be.

24. SukhvinderSingh

SukhvinderSingh

It has been months but still, no considerable improvements have been made to the new store. :(

chingwa likes this.
  25. andyz

andyz

The new store currently loads so slowly my browser starts complaining (and it is still far less usable than the old)

devotid likes this.
  26. nikosurfing

nikosurfing

Very bad design, too many click that makes bad user experience. I blamed for the designer for this. Why unity hire bad designer? How many designer that works for unity anyway?

27. SukhvinderSingh

SukhvinderSingh

exactly

28. SukhvinderSingh

SukhvinderSingh

On the top of that, Google Analytics is still not working and I cannot even track the number of pageviews that I a getting.

29. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

The new is a disgrace!

30. imgumby

imgumby

I won't call it a total failure even though I'm not fond of it.What I do not like is the constant redirect to the new store even if I use a link to the old store...Makes no sense to have a "take me there" button on the old store page.It also wouldn't be so bad if it redirected to a functioning page.As of now none of the sorting filters are available in my wish list and probably more....in short...quit the maddening redirects to a partially finished page that takes me 5 minutes to find what I want please
    thanks

31. VisamP

VisamP

The new store is awful, especially within unity. It's slow and clunky...

32. RendCycle

RendCycle

Initially, I hated the new version of the Asset Store. But after trying out the new version, I think it somehow grew on me. The first issue I noticed about it why I didn't like it before is: I thought I lost the features that were important to me like displaying detailed information (i.e. upload date, updates, etc.) of the Asset. Well, I discovered those information can be actually seen by clicking on the "blue arrow" on each label to expand it. So I guess if Unity can make those things more easily noticeable for Asset Store users would be good. The loading speed I am experiencing on ordinary browsers is still decent for me. Inside Unity, the Asset Store's speed is slower but still tolerable in my location so the problem others are experiencing might need further checking. But I think I discovered a bug. When searching for deprecated assets, sometimes they don't appear in the list. You have to sort by Publish Date for them to appear.

The major glaring issue that I think must be improved in the Asset Store is it's very traditional Rating System. It does not apply to software like Game Assets especially those more complex ones (i.e. AI, Extensions, etc.). For simpler assets like 3D models, Sound FX, etc. it can suffice but not for those that require more information like provided support from the Publishers. If anyone is interested, I have posted an idea here about a New Dynamic Rating System for the Unity Asset Store for people to develop and vote on. Please feel free to post any feedback there. Thanks! :)

I noticed some changes was made already after some of the postings above. I wish Unity will continue improving the Asset Store and make it more usable for both the Customers and Asset Publishers alike.

33. OZAV

OZAV

Down with the new asset store lack of screen estate, no style, and no front end functionality. It should be voted out asap, so we vote to have it down, or done properly. And stop deleting our posts, and do some work, Unity, and don't default us to the new store, till is done properly, please.

34. walkirie

walkirie

I also want the old Asset Store, the new one is very slow and as I see it incomplete, you have to go back (forgive the spelling, I'm not English)

35. IvyKun

IvyKun

Shop in old store button is gone... this sucks. Searching for something in the new store is super annoying compared to the old one.

36. XCPU

XCPU

The New new store this morning, first sniff.... just kill me! now! Less search options than ever.

37. Rtyper

Rtyper

It's in the footer now.

I have to disagree, the new filters down the side of the page are more in depth than I remember it being before. Plus the speed (page load & search) is miles better than V2. I really think this is moving in the right direction now.

IvyKun likes this.
  38. XCPU

XCPU

Would be nice to filter the latest Assets Updated. Filter only shows released.
    New releases would be nice too.

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  39. nasos_333

nasos_333

The 24 assets per page is very limiting, i hope there is a default option of at least 36 like old store, or since categories were merged now and are much more huge, of 64 assets per page or more.

Browse now is much much more cumbersome and slow, that is a huge issue and can only lower sales for everyone.

40. hopeful

hopeful

I can't tell if they are actually trying to improve the asset store or not. It looks almost non-functional to me.

I can't figure out how to browse this new store to see what was added to or updated on the store today. Anyone know?

As a side note, it looks like we can remove favorites but not add them.

41. XCPU

XCPU

recently updated doesn't seem to be an option until you enter a valid search, like terrain, or even just 'a'
    and ' * ' doesn't find anything, so no option.
    Been using the new store almost exclusively a year for buying stuff and getting info on Assets, but always used the old store searches to actually find things to look up on the new store once I found them.

42. N00MKRAD

N00MKRAD

I don't know what the point of this spam thread is.

Unity is NOT going to change anything. So quit whining and just accept it.

43. imgumby

imgumby

Resistance is futile...I know how deaf Unity can be....just grin and bear it and know there's a proud web developer somewhere happy to see his/her efforts come alive...... wobbly and unusable as it is...Probably nothing some bailing wire and duct tape can't fix...

recon0303 likes this.
  44. XCPU

XCPU

Actually I found the Updated. Need to hit 'released' something other than All first.
    Then the Dropdown shows up and you can select recently updated.
    So, one down.
    In the Editor it's still extremely slow to load the list of MyAssets to download updates,
    what took 5 minutes tops a few days ago now takes well over 30 minutes, before you can even start downloading.

45. Gladyon

Gladyon

When you try to buy an asset, the new Asset Store requires you to fill in your phone number.
    Honestly, I don' really care if the new Asset Store is better, faster, easier to use, etc. If I cannot buy anything from it, it's useless.

recon0303 likes this.
  46. recon0303

recon0303

I personally cant stand the new store so I always used the old..... this makes me even more not want to buy assets.. I rarely do now any days, but this make me not want to search through the junk even more...HORRIBLE design.

47. recon0303

recon0303

this is what happens when they try and get cheap labor from inexperience devs...as an experience, GAME , Web , UX.UI Designer, 20+ years I would of been fired from my job if I produced this.... not kidding... making user experience worse not better is not in a normal designer nature....so this shows me the company/person who did it, does not even know the basics.....But not surprised , we see this nonsense all the time.

48. recon0303

recon0303

I would not go that far, but yes it was better, professional/? no.. better yes..

49. wood333

wood333

Permit me to add my opinion. The new asset store is horrible. It will not even sort my owned assets by name, correctly. The new asset store is a solution in need of a problem. Just a waste of time. Since I know my opinion will fall on deaf ears, I will express my displeasure in the only means available. I will purchase no assets on the new store and consider jumping over to Unreal. I may purchase assets directly from developers on their stores. ;)

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    IvyKun likes this.
  50. hopeful

hopeful

It's there. Refresh your page?

wood333 likes this.