Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity 2018.3 is now available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I'll re-test creating a new project using the 3D Template and provide feedback thereafter.

Update - Just created a new project using the 3D template and no errors.

Have you tried deleting your package cache which is located at "...\AppData\Local\Unity\cache"?

I would also suggest updating Visual Studio 2017 to the latest release which is 15.9.4.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  2. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Deleting the cache and updating Visual Studio did not fix the problem.

I installed Visual Studio using the Unity 2017 installer, and it seems that on some systems Unity 2018.3 requires an extra component to be installed in Visual Studio.

How I fixed it:
    • Open the Visual Studio installer from the Windows start menu and then click the "Modify" button.
      VSTutorial1.jpg

• In the window that will open, scroll the mouse until you find "Other Tools" and check the following options as described here:
      * Visual Studio extension development
      * .NET Core cross-platform development

VSTutorial2.jpg

• Proceed with the installation and at the end restart the system.

• Now Unity 2018.3.0f2 is running smoothly for me and I can create a new project and use the editor. The Package Manager and TextMeshPro are now visible in the Windows menu and most importantly, no more error messages.
      Unity2018.3.0f2.jpg
    I found the solution in post #23 of this thread.

Thank you for your support, sir.

alexrau, fdz_ and LeonhardP like this.
  3. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Glad you resolved the issue and thank you for posting the solution / link to the other post here as well :)

4. bato-sandboxvr

bato-sandboxvr

I have created a new project and followed the instruction of VR in HDRP but still getting black screen in windows build.

I have installed the latest version of related packages.
    - HDRP (4.6.0 preview)
    - Post Processing (2.1.2)
    - OpenVR (1.0.2)

I have also attached the output log for your reference.

Is there anyone tell me how can I fix this issue?

[Edited] @Peter77 Just tried to add all shaders from Post Processing package to "Always Included Shaders" but still no luck. :( Thanks for the reply.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

According to the log file, it seems to be caused by Unity's Post Processing Stack.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/PostProcessing/Uber' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    3. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    4.   at UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.RuntimeUtilities.get_copyMaterial () [0x00013] in <c4af8c0d05674915bfcaad3b985bb56c>:0
    5.   at UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.RuntimeUtilities.BlitFullscreenTriangle (UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer cmd, UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderTargetIdentifier source, UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderTargetIdentifier destination, System.Boolean clear, System.Nullable`1[T] viewport) [0x00046] in <c4af8c0d05674915bfcaad3b985bb56c>:0
    6.   at UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDRenderPipeline.Render (UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext renderContext, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras) [0x0179c] in <36aa4e28490a4ddc8d422ce26fd7c57e>:0
    7.   at UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.RenderPipelineManager.DoRenderLoop_Internal (UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.IRenderPipelineAsset pipe, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras, System.IntPtr loopPtr) [0x00023] in <9b3b6573bfb64614aa7ee01c0905dc79>:0
    I also had issues with Post Processing Stack, but prior 2018.3 though and I had to add all shaders from that package to the "Always Included Shaders" to make it work. Not sure if it's the same issue, but you could give it a shot.

6. whidzee

whidzee

Hey gang. I have recently opened up a file from a friend who was using an older version of unity. after the conversion i added the lightweight render pipeline. suddenly everything is pink. even after converting all the shaders in the project to the new ones.

When looking deeper I saw that I am unable to apply the lightweight render shaders to my materials, they are located in the "Failed to Compile" at the bottom of the list (the list that comes up when you try to change the shader in a material)

I'm not sure what to do here. I cannot find any information online about these shaders failing to compile

7. expee105

expee105

Is there any suggestion how to fix my problem?

8. matteocristian

matteocristian

Hi, is Intellisense working fine now for visual studio code? i remembe having some trouble with it some time ago so i don't actually use it until it was updated

9. CDF

CDF

Hey is there anyway I can make the default script braces go on the same line?
    Previous versions would put braces on the same line. This is how I've been formatting code for the last 10 years.
    Maybe there's a setting somewhere I'm missing?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class NewBehaviourScript : MonoBehaviour
    2. {
    3.     // Start is called before the first frame update
    4.     void Start()
    5.     {
    7.     }
    9.     // Update is called once per frame
    10.     void Update()
    11.     {
    13.     }
    14. }
    16. //to
    18. public class NewBehaviourScript : MonoBehaviour {
    20.     // Start is called before the first frame update
    21.     void Start() {    
    22.     }
    24.     // Update is called once per frame
    25.     void Update() {    
    26.     }
    27. }

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

This above is the default presentation when you create a script in Unity; it has always been, at least, as far as I know, since version 5x.. Where you put the braces, curled braces, parenthesis, is not important, what counts is that there are one opening and one closing of each kind. ;)

If you want to create you own formatting, you can edit the file named "81-C# Script-NewBehaviourScript.cs.txt" that you'll find in "~\Unity\Editor\Data\Resources\ScriptTemplates". You'll have to modify it each time you install a new version of Unity. :)

Mine looks like that:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class #SCRIPTNAME# : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    8. }

CDF likes this.
  11. CDF

CDF

Nice Thanks

12. Next time please open a separate thread for your separate question.

You will need to review this support entry. Be aware that you will need to replace the templates on every new version install.

Peter77 likes this.
  13. mattis89

mattis89

Hello!! LWRP VR is not working properly. There is some ridiculos ”lag” when you look around at scene objects, models are jittering.. And I have a good step above 120 fps, I mean my computer is ranked 64 on user benchmark...

14. markvi

markvi

15. snacktime

snacktime

I'm about to do the first test upgrade of our project from 2017.2 -> 2018.3 and it's fairly large so I'd like to get this right the first time.

We have the incremental compiler installed along with the hacks necessary to make it work. Should I uninstall that package before or after upgrading?

16. Gaspedal

Gaspedal

Please, continue the 2018.2.x Updates too...
    I can't upgrade my project to 2018.3 because I get a lot of errors and bugs with rendering.

17. Shadowing

Shadowing

In my Assets folder I have a new folder called _TerrainAutoUpgrade
    Can this be removed after the editor compiled successfully?

I had issues when first opening the project which is mention above. Followed instructions to just simply reload the project and that fixed that issue. Then i had duplicate .dll files for photon chat for some reason. so i removed the oldest file and then my project compiled successfully but that _TerrainAutoUpgrade folder exists. I'm assuming it was something that was suppose to be auto removed maybe?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  18. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

This folder houses the generated Terrain Layer assets that were pulled from older Terrain created with older versions of Unity.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/what-_terrainautoupgrade-is.556219/#post-3688426

If you already moved its content elsewhere and the folder is empty, you can probably remove it. Otherwise you'd remove the generated terrain assets.

19. scappatura

scappatura

I migrate my project present in google play store from Unity 2018.2.18f1 (64-bit) to Unity 2018.3.0f2 (64-bit) for future upgrade. Now I can build my project and do .apk without error but when I start my game in my smartphone it present artefacts especially in the player, to slow, go jerkily, unplayable but you can browse through the menus and not crash.
    .apk build with 2018.2.18f1 (64-bit) with same configuration work fine. Does anyone have the same?

20. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

If it works fine with 2018.2, but does not with 2018.3, then you probably found a regression.

In this case, please submit a bug-report as described in this document:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

Submitting a bug-report allows Unity Technologies to take a look at this issue.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a bug-report Case number. You can post this Case number here (in this forum thread) for Unity staff to pick up, in case they see it.

schmosef likes this.
  21. Shadowing

Shadowing

Having a serious issue with this new nested prefab thing.
    I have a prefab in my scene and I want to delete something on the prefab. When I try a window pops up saying I must open the prefab up in a the prefab window to edit it.
    That is fine and all.
    The problem is I don't want this object to be part of a prefab anymore. How do you break the prefab instance?
    The option to do that in the GameObject menu is no longer there.

Cause that is super annoying having to make a new variation of a prefab every time I want to just alter something in my scene by a little bit.

DevPz likes this.
  22. MagicMiikka

MagicMiikka

You can do it via script.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/PrefabUtility.UnpackPrefabInstance.html

23. XantRoss

XantRoss

Any one had an issue with unity remote 5? When i press play the project don’t reflect on my iphone 7 plus/ iphone xs max any suggestions guys? In 2018.2 everything was fine...

24. Shadowing

Shadowing

Heres a new issue I encountered today. Watch the transform while I'm hovering over this Tent.
    This tent is a single game object. No child game objects.
    Or is this some new feature. Its super annoying though. Some times it moves to another spot when you try to grab the transform axis.

25. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

26. Shadowing

Shadowing

Lol thanks @Peter77
    So odd. This entire time I thought holding down Shift V was for vertex snapping but it seems thats a toggle.
    Didn't realize it was just holding V down.

I don't understand how I never had it always on in the past though.
    But then again I've only been using Unity 2018 for only a month and a half and i don't think i did any vertex snapping during that time. Maybe that toggle was broken in 2017.

27. DevPz

DevPz

Anybody getting their prefabs' values changed? I'm noticing them change either during "play mode" or because I made the game controller run in editor so it may be causing something............... or unity 2018.3 has something broken with values in prefabs.

This level of instability is annoying to work through :/

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  28. spark-man

spark-man

29. Ziron999

Ziron999

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!you broke overlapsphere!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PlayerLayer = LayerMask.NameToLayer("Player");
    //CenterTrigger = Physics.OverlapSphere(defaultCenter, 1, PlayerLayer);
    //if (CenterTrigger.Length > 0)
    //{
    //Debug.Log(PlayerLayer);
    //Debug.Log(CenterTrigger[debugValue].gameObject.name);
    //}
    now it picks up other layers even with a layermask................................
    you have no idea how critical this is for me....

terrain is picked up even though it's layer is default

However if i redo my variables
    Public LayerMask PlayerLayer;
    then it works but this takes more memory then just caching an int!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  30. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

If it works fine with earlier Unity versions, but does not with 2018.3, then you probably found a regression.

In this case, please submit a bug-report as described in this document (it's important to include a project to reproduce the issue):

Submitting a bug-report allows Unity Technologies to take a look at this issue.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a bug-report Case number. You can post this Case number here (in this forum thread) for Unity staff to pick up, in case they see it.

31. siliwangi

siliwangi

Any news for Unity 2013.3.1?

MagicMiikka likes this.
  32. pachermann

pachermann

@gabrielw_unity My Unity is freezing when i work with the new terrain Object.
    Its a very small scene only 1 * 200m2 Patch.
    I made a empty Scene without terrain and its not Freezing.

Inside the taskmanager shows "Power Usage - Very high" but CPU use only 16%.
    Also it says (not active) while freezing on the unity icon.

I have this issue on all of my Studio Machines.

But else no issues its awesome!

Best Regards

33. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Could you please submit a bug-report, including a project to reproduce the issue, as described in this document:

Submitting a bug-report allows Unity Technologies to take a look at this issue, posting in the forum does not.

pachermann likes this.
  34. snacktime

snacktime

I've hit a definite pattern of replacing dll's will cause the editor to lock up hard. 0 cpu usage not responsive in any way.

I have a shared C# project where new dll's are copied to the Unity project via powershell. Do it a few times and Unity eventually locks up. It always happens when I do successive copies without entering play mode, usually not even touching Unity. At some point I try to gain focus on Unity and it's locked up. .Net 4x.

It could be god knows what, from a specific library that's problematic to 2018.3 to a Unity domain reloading bug.

Not even sure what's the best approach to debug this. Will attaching VS debugger to Unity even show anything since it's related to reloading?

35. snacktime

snacktime

So one thing that might be related is on startup the console is telling me two of my dll's will not be loaded, that it can't resolve Unity.Mathematics. Which I reference from ScriptAssemblies. It can obviously resolve in the end somewhow because there are no compile errors. My server project which references the same dll's works fine also.

Now that I think about it the mathematics dll is likely rebuilt or copied over at start, so it's not there at some point and then it is. So it seems the console messages I can likely ignore?

36. ronilGT

ronilGT

sir can i ask?
    where do i get the serial number so that i can start my project...im only a beginner...hope u will answer my question..
    than you...have a nice all

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

What serial number?

38. spark-man

spark-man

You don't need the serial number. Just select Unity Personal radio button and proceed forward.

39. khoand_unity

khoand_unity

When i update to this version 2018.3 and set to .Net.4x. It show errors but all is empty. How do i know what errors to tell you how to fix it? So weird.

40. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

41. khoand_unity

khoand_unity

So how to fix it? Restart so many times is still nothing

42. Shadowing

Shadowing

I'm getting a windows stand alone build crash with zero errors in the log file.
    probably gonna have to send the project to Unity. Its odd it worked fine on 2018.3 before then all the sudden now every build crashes. Doesn't even say it crashes in the log.
    Maybe if i update to 2018.3.1

43. scappatura

scappatura

UnityHelp.JPG Hi, try this in configuration, next remember to restart.

44. Zaine7673

Zaine7673

seriously contemplating on going back to an older version. Everything i seem to do seems to result in errors on the console. I'm finding that I'm spending more time on fixing these issues than actually building my game. that's not productive at all. Even the unity remote settings asset from the store results in errors.

Even things that used to work fine like firebase is also no longer working.

45. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

@Zaine7673 maybe try to send some log error, we could maybe help you ?
    Sometimes we have an issue here when we switch to Unity 2018.3 due to library issue. Try a reimport on the root of your project or a reimport all and see if it solves some of your issue.
    This was an issue that must be fixed since beta.

46. Zaine7673

Zaine7673

@aurelien-morel-ubiant sure - luckily i am able to give this to you as yet again i have got another error lol

I've been trying to add firebase sdk to the project (firebase had worked fine on 2017 version of unity) but now when i add it, it brings up quite a lot of errors.

I wont put them all here but these are just a few. I've added the error log. if you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Attached Files:

47. Zaine7673

Zaine7673

I have tried updating google playservice resolver, delete obsolete files, force resolve and everything else I've found about this on github and on other sites but when i get all the errors off from the console - the messaging system doesn't actually work. it's hard for me to resolve at this point as I am getting nothing in the console to tell me where to look

48. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

I need to check maybe deeper your issue cause we use Firebase from our side with unity 2018.3 and no issue occured during the switch from 2017 to 2018 except updating the firebase asset.
    We have a different logic from our side cause we manage the asset without using the play resolver to be sure of all the assets that are integrated but I encountered no issue during this process.

I delete entierely the lib as you did then we integrate the new one (currently 5.4.0 here) but I don't think the 5.4.3 would generate issue on this.

Integrate the play resolver is on my (future) roadmap to allow me to let google manage its own package instead of me and my custom builder pipeline

49. HitsuSan

HitsuSan

Ehm, i think the Cameras are missing the Depth Only function, it was definitely there in 2018.2 cause i'm using it for a post processing free UI. It is also mentioned in the documentation...

50. Zaine7673

Zaine7673

I've managed to get it working but i still get the remote settings errors in the console. quite a few of them. everything is working as expected but i dont like to see errors in the console. might be my OCD :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.