Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

what _TerrainAutoUpgrade is?

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by alex-av, Sep 16, 2018.

1. alex-av

alex-av

After upgrade to 2018.3.0b1 there is _TerrainAutoUpgrade folder was created in Assets folder. Is this something temporal or this is some new feature? I use git for version control and I doubt about should I put this folder under version control or not. Maybe this folder is misplaced and should be in Library folder?

2. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

I haven't upgraded an older project with a terrain system yet, but I'm guessing this folder holds an updated version of your terrain that will work with the new terrain system in 2018.3

wyattt_ likes this.
  3. alex-av

alex-av

After some experiments I come to this guess:

New terrain system create new type of assets "layers" which hold infomation about terrain textures. In upgrade it create this assets for each texture in terrain and stores them in _TerrainAutoUpgrade folder. One can move/rename this assets. But there is a issue (Case 1081612) - this exported layer-assets unlinked from terrain-asset after upgrade (issue reproduced only on upgraded terrain, terrain created with 2018.3 works fine)

4. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

That is correct. 2018.3 brings some new changes to Terrain. The concept of Terrain Layers/Materials as assets is one of them. The _TerrainAutoUpgrade folder houses the generated Terrain Layer assets that were pulled from older Terrain created with older versions of Unity. These are used for painting texture on Terrain.

@alex-av, thanks for created a bug report for that!

5. FIFTYTWO

FIFTYTWO

Should I ignore this folder from git or commit?

6. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Nope! Make sure you add it to your version control. The data in that folder is used for Terrain splatmaps, etc. You can rename it and move the assets around as you wish but should definitely include that data in version control

7. castor76

castor76

I have _TerrainAutoUpgrade folder moved to the other folder to make it cleaner project root, but it keeps rebuilding that folder with its content everytime I open the project. :( So now I have 2 of the same folder. Is there way to move that folder and not reproduce it everytime?

Eldoir likes this.
  8. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

@castor76 which version of unity are you on?

9. castor76

castor76

Unity 2018.3.b12

10. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Thanks. I'll see if I can reproduce this

Eldoir likes this.
  11. castor76

castor76

To be 100% more accurate, I have moved it into Standard Assets folder. If that counts for anything.