Search Unity

Package Manager Is Missing

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by daniel_7866, Sep 19, 2018.

1. daniel_7866

daniel_7866

Hi everyone, I wanted to install shader graph and I saw that i need to open package manager in window menu.
    The problem is, it is not there! why?
    I have the latest version of unity installed.

2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

3. josh-roamltd

josh-roamltd

Hey man,

I had the same issue, for me it was related to a malformed
    MyProjectRoot/Packages/manifest.json

I updated the file to the following

Before this the file looked like this:

Adding in the com.unity.modules.* and the com.unity.package-manager-ui lines fixed the issue when I launched unity again.

Hope this helps!

4. daniel_7866

daniel_7866

I did that, hope this will be fixed soon..
    Unfortunately it made my project not to open so I had to delete it, the file was completley empty and it works only like that apperantly.. thanks anyways

5. josh-roamltd

josh-roamltd

Ah sorry man,

I heard this could help:
    Menubar:
    If that doesn't work I hope you fix it up soon! if you figure it out, make sure to leave a reply to help others :)
    Good luck!

6. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Hello @daniel_7866 and @josh-roamltd,

I'm sorry you ran into this issue. That obviously should never happen. Meanwhile, if you're still having issues, please do the following:
    • Clone your project by copy pasting on the same folder and identifying it in a way that it is easy to find (I name mine like: clone_project.x so that they're super easy to find and are all bundled together).
    • Load your newly created project clone.
    • Go to the Help tab, select the option "Reset Packages to defaults". Be aware that this might take a few minutes depending on size of project.
      • This operation should reset all packages on your project and make sure that packages contained in your executable are correctly unbundled into the local cache.
    • If that worked well and it reset the packages you know you can do the operation safely on the parent project.
    Some important details that may interfere with package installation:

• Package Manager and package installations require administrator permissions on the machine being used. Please ensure you have read and write permissions in:
      • C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Unity\cache on Windows
      • and ~/Users/Library/Unity/cache on MacOS
    • Work/Schools/etc... environments might sometimes block Package Manager by stopping the user from being able to install signed certificates on that specific environment.

Let me know if you have questions and thanks for your patience while we work on making the experience as even as possible.

Cheers,
    Pedro
    Unity STE

7. amin-ad1

amin-ad1

Thank you very much , it works

pedro_unity likes this.
  8. dienat

dienat

I dont have the Package manager either, i used "Reset Packages to defaults" but it doesnt work. I had it but after i installed the Math package it didnt appear anymore. I use 2018.2.0f2

9. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Hello @dienat,

It seems you may have compilation issues stemming from the math package. If you uninstall "math" are you capable to have package manager UI visible?

Thanks,
    Pedro
    Unity STE

10. CGVIP

CGVIP

Why do I see something different from what you're showing?
    This's mine
    upload_2018-12-1_15-29-59.png
    this's your showing
    upload_2018-12-1_15-32-13.png

11. blackdeng

blackdeng

This helps!

12. CGVIP

CGVIP

Yes,I have found the problem . My firewall blocked the Package Manager from accessing the network ,it's working now~
    Thanks for all~

13. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

I just upgraded from 2018.2.19 where the Package Manager was there to 2018.3, where it's gone— also not under Window > Package Manager.

The console has 3 Post-Processing errors that weren't there in 2018.2.19. I'm guessing this means I need to upgrade the Post-Processing package for the project now in 2018.3. Except... I can't get to the Package Manager.

Advice?

dan_ginovker, Yunus_Sutanti and Quit like this.
  14. XavAleX

XavAleX

Same here.

Package Manager > not showing
    "Reset Packages to defaults" > not showing
    C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Unity\cache > does not exist (but the parent folder does)
    Changing manifest.json > prevents project from opening

Unity versions installed (all are impacted):
    • Unity 5.3.8p2
    • Unity 2017.2.0f3
    Edit: Problem solved after upgrading Unity, my bad.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    dan_ginovker likes this.
  15. horeaper

horeaper

Same here, upgraded from 2018.2.17 to 2018.3.0, and the package manager is missing.

*update* Reloaded the project, and it shows up.

16. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@Xander-Davis @horeaper,

There is an issue with the scripting compilation pipeline that prevents a package compiled assemblies to load up in some unique scenarios. Generally, the problem can present itself when upgrading a project to a newer Unity version. As @horeaper reported, this can sometime be fixed by merely re-opening the project. But in sporadic cases (usually when testing alpha/beta Unity versions or preview/experimental packages), you may have to open the project manifest manually (<project path>/Packages/manifest.json) and massage the package configuration to fix compilation issues. We are working on fixing the root issue for 2019.x release cycle (requires a considerable amount of refactoring).

Reall sorry that you faced this issue.

@Xander-Davis When upgrading a project to a newer Unity version, the Package Manager should automatically update incompatible package to newer compatible versions. Was it the case for you? Can you share what the post-processing version before and after upgrading Unity from 2018.2.19 to 2018.3 was?

Regards,

Pascal

17. Inok

Inok

I have missing package manager in new project 2018.3.0f2. I have 4 errors in console without description. I figure out that these errors dissapear if in "Packages\manifest.json" i replace version of these packages with "exclude": "com.unity.package-manager-ui": "2.0.3", "com.unity.analytics": "3.2.2", "com.unity.collab-proxy": "1.2.15", "com.unity.textmeshpro": "1.3.0". But even after this package manager not show in window menu. And i not sure how i can fix manually this manifest file

conceptfac and ienherjer like this.
  18. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@Inok ,

The *exclude* keyword is deprecated since Unity 2018.1. You can simply remove the package from the
    dependencies
    attribute.

If you remove
    com.unity.package-manager-ui
    from the project manifest, even if you fix the compilation error, the UI will not appear. The package needs to be listed in your project manifest to show up in the editor.

Regards,

Pascal

19. Inok

Inok

why package manager missing on fresh new project with unity 2018.3.0f2. It missing already at unity start, i not do anything except open new project and it already missing! So huge bug, i cant even access many unity features due to this.

ienherjer likes this.
  20. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

21. Inok

Inok

Here log and previous log

Attached Files:

22. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Everything looks fine on the Package Manager front. There is this error when the compilation completes:

Failed to load the dll from [?P], HRESULT: 0x80070057

The library hostfxr.dll was found, but loading it from C:\Program Files\Unity Editors\2018.3.0f2\Editor\Data\Tools\Roslyn\hostfxr.dll failed

- Installing .NET Core prerequisites might help resolve this problem.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=798306&clcid=0x409

It looks like there is something conflicting on your system that prevents the *hostfxr.dll* to load.

Can you try to install the recommended prerequisites?

23. Inok

Inok

24. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

This is strange indeed. Glad it fixed the issue.

25. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

I was having the same problem and this also fixed the issue for me.
    Thank you!

26. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

This also fixed this problem for me! How strange!

27. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Oh wow! I will notify the scripting compilation pipeline team. This problem looks to be more common than I thought!

Thank you all for reporting!

bddckr likes this.
  28. Korindian

Korindian

Same problem for me after upgrading to 2018.3.0f2. Had a bunch of compilation errors due to none of the packages being recognized in my existing project. Tried the above solution of installing the cross platform .NET development and was able to get all packages back, including the package manager. Please let us know when this is fixed, so I can uninstall that package from Visual Studio, thanks.

29. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Korindian likes this.
  30. justasz

justasz

Unity Technologies

Hello @Korindian, @GameDevCouple_I, @DenisLemos, @Inok,

Could you provide your current system locale settings to check if it has any effect upon the issue.

To view the System Locale settings for Windows
    1. Click Start, then Control Panel
    2. Click Clock, Language and Region
    3. Windows 10, Windows 8: Click Region
      Windows 7: Click Region and Language
      The Region and Language options dialog appears.
    4. Click the Administrative tab

31. Korindian

Korindian

Current language for non-Unicode programs:
    English (United States)

32. Sarazan

Sarazan

I'd like to point out that the above solution doesn't appear to work at all for Mac users. Is there another fix so that I can compile my project again?

33. justasz

justasz

Unity Technologies

34. ImperialDynamics

ImperialDynamics

same problem, no package manager after updating from 2018.2 to 2018.3 :(

35. DDI_Jay

DDI_Jay

Same problem on Mac here. Upgraded our project to Unity 2018.3.0f2 from 2018.2.12f1. When doing so on first launch I get the following error for multiple lines:

/.../Library/PackageCache/com.unity.package-manager-ui@2.0.3/Editor/Sources/Services/Upm/UpmSearchOperation.cs(8,59): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `ISearchOperation' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

If I restart the error goes away, but the Package Manager still doesn't show. Tried resetting packages to default, and changing the package version back to 1.9.11. None of it worked.

36. DDI_Jay

DDI_Jay

A possible workaround for Mac users, do these steps in any order.
    • https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download - Download/Install .NET SDK v2.2.101
    • Check for updates in Visual Studio, install them
    • Use homebrew to:
      • brew update
      • brew upgrade mono (or brew install mono if you don't have it)

Lastly you may need to delete your project Library/obj/temp folders and restart Unity, possibly your computer as well. Doing these steps in varying orders has worked for myself and a few of my teammates.

37. mkderoy

mkderoy

Unity Technologies

38. rob_ice

rob_ice

Have found when I was opening an old 2017 project in 2018.3.0f2 that an editor error was holding up the package manager from being available, as soon as we fixed the error, packagemanager finally appeared in the 'windows' dropdown

39. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Thanks @rob_ice,

Indeed, compilation errors are something that can interfere with proper loading of the Package Manager UI. This is something we're working on resolving presently.

Cheers,
    Pedro
    Unity STE

Rallix and rob_ice like this.
  40. kwcae

kwcae

@pedro_unity If it helps i opened a project that didn't use packages from the package manager in 2018.3.1f1 and as soon as it loads i get the following console errors. Package manger isn't available as an option and the Help > Reset Packages doesn't help.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Packages\com.unity.package-manager-ui\Editor\Sources\UI\Common\PopupField.cs(8,36): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'BaseTextElement' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    2. Packages\com.unity.package-manager-ui\Editor\Sources\UI\Common\PopupField.cs(118,33): error CS0115: 'PopupField<T>.ExecuteDefaultAction(EventBase)': no suitable method found to override
    3. Packages\com.unity.package-manager-ui\Editor\Sources\UI\Common\PopupField.cs(8,53): error CS0535: 'PopupField<T>' does not implement interface member 'INotifyValueChanged<T>.SetValueWithoutNotify(T)'
    4. Packages\com.unity.package-manager-ui\Editor\Sources\UI\Common\PopupField.cs(8,53): error CS0535: 'PopupField<T>' does not implement interface member 'INotifyValueChanged<T>.RemoveOnValueChanged(EventCallback<ChangeEvent<T>>)'

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  41. Wabaloo

Wabaloo

I found a way to fix my problem. I had exactly the same issues as @kwcae after upgrading Unity to latest: same compilation errors, no package manager in menu, and all the suggested fixes in this thread did not work for me.

I found that I had old copies of the packages sources in my project's Package folder. I deleted all the folders, leaving only the manifest.json file. I think that Unity was using those instead of the versions in the appdata/local/unity/cache folder.

After reloading my project, I saw that Unity updated the version of the packages in my appdata/local/unity/cache folder, and now everything works fine. ie: com.unity.package-manager-ui's version was 1.9.11, and now its 2.0.3.

Now compilation works, and the Package manager is back in Unity's Window menu!

Hope it helps someone.

rob_ice and Kirsche like this.
  42. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Fantastic @Wabaloo,

I'll investigate internally. Thanks for tracking down the problem and writing up the resolution.

Cheers,
    Pedro
    Unity STE

43. antislash

antislash

hi guys...
    sad sucha a beautiful tool comes with such flaws.
    can't anyone at unity release a routine to validate install or fix known issues ?

44. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

English (United Kingdom)

45. antislash

antislash

in case this helps : i just updated properly win 7 (after i had to reinstalll it) and everything worked fine.
    sounds like updating .NET framework did it.

46. hadmaerd

hadmaerd

I'm trying to update project from 2018.2 to 2018.3.4f1, but same as for people above Package Manager doesn't appear for me. Also I got a bunch of errors telling about all those unknown functions from missing but used in code packages (Addressables, TMPro).

What I've tried:
    - restarted project;
    - pressed "Reimport All";
    - pressed Help->Reset Packages to defaults;
    - removed manifest.json; then put it back with Addressables and TMPro included;
    - didn't try windows 7 update (cuz I'm on windows 10);
    - installed last version of Visual Studio 2017 with "NET Core cross-platform development" included;
    - removed everything but manifest.json from packages folder;
    - manually changed version of "com.unity.package-manager-ui" to "2.0.3" in the manifest;
    - removed Library folder;
    - *SOLUTION* replaced "Library/PackageCache/com.unity.package-manager-ui@2.0.3" folder in my project with the same folder from newly created working empty project;

I guess I will have to remove everything related to Addressables and TMPro from the project before Packege Manager will appear again, and if this is the solution, then it's gonna be disaster.

UPD: Nah, removing all links to packages didn't help either. Errors disappeared but Package Manager still not working (doesn't exist). Btw fresh project works fine.

UPD: SOLUTION: Replaced "Library/PackageCache/com.unity.package-manager-ui@2.0.3" folder in my project with the same folder from newly created working empty project.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    kaushaldave likes this.
  47. ArkadiuszR

ArkadiuszR

I hvae same problem but even on new created project i have this same warnings/errors :(

48. mb28

mb28

I also had this same issue migrating my project from 2018.2.14 to 2018.4. Ran into a bunch of compile errors, missing package manager.

Since I have work I have do, I've reverted back to 2018.2.14. I'll stay there for the foreseeable future and revisit an upgrade in a couple months from now. Hopefully these issues will be better sorted out at that time. Tough trying to stay at the bleeding edge sometimes. :)

49. thatcharles

thatcharles

Thanks that really helps!

50. brokole

brokole

I fixed it for my self in a round about way but it works so far here is how. had to manual downgrade to 1.8.0 in the manifest.json add ("com.unity.package-manager-ui": "1.8.0") in the dependencies remove any other version.
    Then open de project and open the package window then close it again. The manual upgrade to 1.9.11 ("com.unity.package-manager-ui": "1.9.11")
    then open the project and it should be fixed.
    do yourself a favor and add (
    "com.unity.modules.ai": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.animation": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.assetbundle": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.audio": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.cloth": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.director": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.imgui": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.particlesystem": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.physics": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.ui": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequestwww": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.video": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.vr": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.xr": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.imageconversion": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.jsonserialize": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.physics2d": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.screencapture": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.terrain": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.terrainphysics": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.tilemap": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.uielements": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.umbra": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.unityanalytics": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequest": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequestassetbundle": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequestaudio": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequesttexture": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.vehicles": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.wind": "1.0.0"
    )
    this also to manifest.json when your done. otherwise you wont have any of the build in packages like physics or wind or terrain or tilemaps or audio and more.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    marck_ozz likes this.