Search Unity

Assets [Released] Cascade - Rivers, Lakes, Waterfall and more ..

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by antoripa, Jan 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonGoku10c

SonGoku10c

ask RWT why the height is so high. and no. It will not be a flight simulator. First I want a (MMO)RPG, but this map could also be a multipurpose map. It is huge enough. ^^ Much space for a racing game or a survival game or both at the same time on different areas of the map. :D Damn. That would be funny. Your in a race and suddenly there is a player on the street chased by hundreds of zombies. That could be a new genre of games. OK. Enough fun for now. :p

One tile is 16km x 16km and this map has 2021 tiles = 517375 km² ;)

2. Whippets

Whippets

Umm, and how many players/npcs/mobs do you expect to have on each 16kmx16km map?

3. SonGoku10c

SonGoku10c

That is work for later. First the map and then the other things. I will maybe create ~4 villages per tile and here and there a big city, where you can teleport between big citys, but everything is open at the moment. 7000 villages (I don't want villages on the water for now (OK. I even don't have an ocean at the moment ^^)) are really many. These are all thing, that I will plan in the future.
    Procedural quests would be a good thing then.

4. recon0303

recon0303

don't matter.. what resolution is each tile?. Streaming, you can stream as large as you want.

antoripa likes this.
  5. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

So I posted the above and got a lot of replies all saying I was wrong and it was all the asset store's slow response and how dare I question a (from my point of view) new author with no previously published assets on the store. Now with finally some more details emerging it shows that yes there was something fishy going on with it being removed due to claim of copyright infringement and that the asset store said this on 22nd February even if did take a week later to get the exact details of alleged infringement. If these facts had been made available in this thread much much earlier than they were or even privately there would have been no need for me to post the above posts.

The ticket I opened with asset store has now been answered and they say they will process a refund due to it being removed. I replied saying author had posted a response to copyright claim and a new version had been submitted and they have replied back asking for a link to this thread so they can verify with Asset Store team.

Akshara likes this.
  6. antoripa

antoripa

Hi,
    I don't like not happy users.So kinfly you send me a pm with your invoice number, I will check with UAS how approve a refund.
    Thanks
    Regards,
    Antonio

7. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

You misunderstand the post, if I wanted a refund immediately all I had to do was do nothing and ticket would have given me one. I actually replied to the ticket to see if they would tell me what was going on and now maybe support can prod the asset store team in to doing something about approving the asset.

The reason for quoting the previous posts was a lot of people quoted them in replies when in fact you did know what had happened and had been told enough detail on 22nd to let people know the situation but declined to do so until much later. Your communication could have been much clearer and avoided a lot of the confusion even if nothing could be done about the ongoing delay in accessing the asset.

8. antoripa

antoripa

I understood your post.

9. Rowlan

Rowlan

May I ask why you make such a drama when you can get the asset or a refund at any time from the dev by simply providing the invoice number?

I'm sure even these shady tactics to prevent the asset from going live will be resolved. Patience, also feel free to join the discord channel :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  10. antoripa

antoripa

11. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

I am not making a drama as you call it and the entire thing could have been so easily avoided with better communication. I initially asked a question about the asset, was offered a direct download which yes didn't want and one reason for that is I did suspect a copyright issue as potential issue and if it had been proved (and we are assured not an issue bit didn't know better at time) would have rendered it unusable. With support for those that could get asset and upcoming updates can not fault Antonio but the communication on unavailability issue has been far more vague than it should have been.

As for the shady tactics sentence no idea why you reply to me about that.

12. Rowlan

Rowlan

Was in no way meant towards you. Just in general. It's shady when the asset gets reported (quote "it has been brought to our attention" instead of "it came to our attention" and then pulled because of some skybox that's freely available, even for commercial use. I'm not related to this asset, I just like to toy around with everything. But as a customer who has bought a lot of assets on this store (and a lot of them which I hardly use because they turned out to be not good enough), I'm not pleased with the recent events on the store. Because in order to report the asset, you have to get it, i. e. buy it first. What happened was definitely on purpose.

antoripa likes this.
  13. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

You seem like you are over reacting again and also trying to vindicate the previous over reaction. Why would the dev report a false claim of copyright infringement against him that could only do harm when he would think with a certain amount of reason that the UAS would have quickly resolved THEIR mistake and put the asset back on the store quickly when realising the error.

You are failing to empathise with what must be for a first time asset dev a really difficult thing to grasp. Especially the slow response by unity to a poor decision initially. Imagine putting one or two years of work in for it to be taken away so quickly after release under dubious and still unresolved reasons.

I actually worry about my investment of time and money in unity if this is how devs can be treated. A bit of community support may be appreciated at this time.

nirvanajie, Teila, S4G4N and 2 others like this.
  14. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi everyone,

I have been on the Unity Asset Store for more 5 years now and I would just like to give another perspective on Unity Technologies that needs to be considered & respected.

I can assure you Unity Technologies has always done things to their best ability to do right to everyone out there.
    Publishers, Developers and The Company. They have a sometimes very difficult position to do things that at the end is at everyones best interest. Let me explain.

VERY IMPORTANT:

First, I am not insinuating ANY wrongdoing on part of the publisher.

Unity as the "re-seller" has a duty that each of us, whichever one you are developer and developer, to do to their best to ensure that anything we do buy from the Asset Store has been checked to the best of their ability to make sure that whatever you and I buy is 100% legit.

We want, need and expect this, for surely nobody in their right mind want to some time down the line be told that package X, Y or Z had this and that copyright infringements on it and development done with it is questionable.
    Surely if Unity saw themselves or has been alerted by whoever has to take steps to prevent possible damage by keep selling somethings that has a question mark over it for the time being.

Anyone would have great reason for anger if that for instance happened and Unity just kept selling it. That would have been plain negligence and seen as just possible money hunger reason of Unity to do so. And if it was reported by someone that saw it, that person should thanked, not crucified.

At the end, any publisher, @antoripa included will if nothing wrong get the stamp of approval and the status of the package will be returned. I do not want to ever be in the position that he is finding himself now, but in the bigger picture, a week or two of a lifetime of possible few years of the asset is nothing.

Just my 2 cents worth. Please don't crucify me, I am just trying to give another very real perspective.

Good Luck @antoripa

Cheers
    Cobus

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  15. MostHated

MostHated

I dunno about that, if you had a single tile that was like 50,000km2, it would not really help much, it would still have to load the tile.

antoripa likes this.
  16. I think this time you're wrong. Let me explain:

The support knows that they can't process any questions let alone inquiry in weeks. And they decide they inactivate the asset regardless without ANY fact check.
    If this asset wouldn't be allowed to use for commercial stuff, you would be right.
    If this asset wouldn't be part of a Unity package, you would be right.

But it appears that whoever did this inactivation just didn't care enough to ask a question, "hey, what about this skybox?" - if he or she can't check the legality of such asset (which they are able to).

It really sounds fishy: "we heard you are in copyright infringement, so we inactivate your stuff, good luck with the support".
    This is just wrong. And yes, maybe on a two year scale two weeks are nothing (which it is already inactive for), but one of the best two weeks in terms of sales, probably.

I like Unity in general, but they screwed this up big time. And I only hope that the support person who did this made an honest mistake and didn't play along with someone just for the profit...

Just imagine, you're doing your update, you heat the hype and when you release I report your asset for a false copyright infringement, how would you feel?

17. Teila

Teila

I think the big issues here is that the initial take down was done with no explanation. It took days to hear anything and even that was very vague. Then it took some time to get Unity to even reach out to the developer.

That is the wrong in this. I do not think anyone did anything wrong either. It was reported, Unity did not bother talking to the developer before they pulled...he found out when someone told him the next day it was gone.

Then they made him wait.

Yes, we want Unity to make sure the assets are safe for us to use and sometimes mistakes are made. But this was just handled badly.

So yeah, keep on protecting us from bad assets, but please, communicate with the developer so he can communicate with the users.

18. antoripa

antoripa

Hello guys ...I should not comment latest posts , You know ..I am biased and is not easy matter.

I don't think that you are on different positions but that you just have a different point of view but same "core" idea. All are valid becuase everyone each point of view comes from our background and different experience.

I would consider what in my humble opinion is a good point : the strong due diligence on Cascade by UAS team. And I was not concerned

And that is the right answer to who did a nasty action reporting something that is not true. From last message I received by UAS team, all is fine and that is yet another confirm that who reported a not true copyright infringemen was not in good faith.
    Who was ? . sincerly I don't mind . it is just like dust to brush quickly from your jacket-

I care only do a nice work and give my small contribute to the entire community.

Other assets are in my pipeline to support procedural lanscape generation ( TerraPainter, Sentieri, TerraVillage and TerraFormer ) and with Cascade are a new and innovative powerfull tool to create neverending procedural 3D worlds that work smoothly in combination with other excellent assets like Vegetation Studio and MicroSplat...
    I am gonna head to bed . I would say thank you guys for the great support from all you in latest days and that
    good things come to those who wait.

AND CASCADE IS BACK ...
    STRONGER THAN BEFORE

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/106072

19. Ian-Dunlap

Ian-Dunlap

Administrator

Hi Folks,

I want to give everyone an update on this from the UAS side.

We understand there is a lot we expect from our publisher community to be aware of, especially when it comes to complying with and understanding all nuances of software rights and ownership. We see instances that come from malicious intent, but most instances we handle come from practical misunderstandings. Regardless of the best intentions of a publisher, we are not able to be lenient on decisions related to copyright and trademark infringement. Our goal is to always make sure our users are safe and not vulnerable to any legal issues that would arise from utilizing Asset Store content.

When these instances occur, we do not act on unfounded claims. In this matter, our actions occurred from a legitimate necessity to remove content that was not compliant with DMCA guidelines. The infringing content was removed from this product and since EarthShaping was compliant in the process, it is allowed to return to the Asset Store.

antoripa, Akshara, nirvanajie and 3 others like this.
  20. Teila

Teila

Thank you, Ian! Very happy to know that all is well now. :) We do appreciate your diligence. I know I would hate to unknowingly use an asset that caused my game to be taken down.

Appreciate that you came here to let us know what happened. Far too much speculation going on...which happens when folks do not know.

antoripa likes this.
  21. Rowlan

Rowlan

The unity decompressor seems to be still not working. I tried downloading the asset and i got this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Failed to import package with error: Couldn't decompress package
    2. UnityEditor.Web.JSProxyMgr:DoTasks()
    I checked the file in

.\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\EarthShaping\Editor ExtensionsTerrain

Apparently there's a blank in the filename right before the extension which causes problems.

Changing

Cascade - Rivers Lakes Waterfalls and more .unitypackage

to

Cascade - Rivers Lakes Waterfalls and more.unitypackage

i. e. removing the blank before the extension solves the problem. Manual installation of the unaltered downloaded unitypackage didn't work and resulted in the same error, but it worked when the blank was removed.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    antoripa likes this.
  22. jbooth

jbooth

Did you also remove the blacksmith demo from the asset store? Because that's where the skybox came from..

23. MostHated

MostHated

But.. there are screenshots here below in this post that show that the item in question was under Creative Commons 4.0 license. So, that makes me wonder how this matter was a legitimate infringement?

https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...waterfall-and-more.514871/page-4#post-3412126

antoripa likes this.
  24. Ian-Dunlap

Ian-Dunlap

Administrator

jbooth, Whippets, antoripa and 2 others like this.
  25. boysenberry

boysenberry

Personally, having invested quite a bit of time and energy into Unity assets and having bought this asset just before it got yanked, I wasn't perturbed by the situation. Not being the creator of the asset changes my perspective quite a bit. My initial investment was secured and the asset developer was more than considerate of his users.
    As far as Unity the company goes, I'd hate to be in their shoes when stuff like this happens. I am glad to participate in using both their wonderful platform to develop my video game on as well as the assets I have purchased to make it easier with. Cascade is great! Like so many other wonderful assets it will help me produce something wonderful for others.
    I try not to lose site of that. For me its a privilege to develop a game for others to enjoy. The folks at Unity are making something wonderful for us all, for that I am grateful, as well to those who add their weight to the fray.

So thanks, I hope I can give back as much as you all give to me.
    Boysenberry Payne

26. MostHated

MostHated

Ian-Dunlap and antoripa like this.
  27. Rowlan

Rowlan

antoripa likes this.
  28. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

After the post here by the asset store explaining the issue I went back and very carefully checked the details mentioned in this post. I found 3 issues where the skybox was failing to be attributed to correctly which meant UAS could not accept it. They are very hard to spot but are the kind of things that UAS would have had to check. As it was also referred to will mention Unity Blacksmith Environment demo doesn't have any of these issues.

I have sent these issues I found to antoripa and would imagine if he fixed these could include the skybox again in a future update.

I'm just pleased can finally see the asset and will be downloading it tomorrow to try it out.

Rowlan, antoripa and S4G4N like this.
  29. antoripa

antoripa

Thank you for all the support received by unity asset store team to make Cascade compliance with DMCA regulations.
    I look forward a long relationship at my end as asset store publisher.

Seneral, Whippets, AndyNeoman and 2 others like this.
  30. antoripa

antoripa

31. recon0303

recon0303

Never mind I don't have time for nonsense..

32. recon0303

recon0303

Congrats Antonio

antoripa likes this.
  33. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

A reminder to everyone that the thread is moved to the asset store section, above link.

antoripa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.