Search Unity

Official Concept art

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by cirocontinisio, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Smurjo

Smurjo

Not sure whether our sound designers manage that one... But I like that line of text a lot... soup opera.png

2. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Haha, yes, don't know if we can do this but this made me laugh a lot :D

3. Smurjo

Smurjo

I guess I figured out what some of those male and female townsfolk do when we don't watch - resulting in cute little Wunny-kids or Wunnini (with the townsfolk being Wunnais). A festival like that wouldn't be realistic without kids. I know you don't want any more models, but I think we can just scale the male models head up a little and then the complete prefab down - this way we shouldn't break the rigging. Unless we want something special I assume we won't do facial animation for the kids.They might be sitting on the benches in between the grown-ups or playing.

As their parents, Wunny-kids have a keen interest in food and cooking from an early age. This why they use their Sandbox primarily for making dough for sand cakes and baking sand-cakes. Logically I named it "Bakerium". Bakerium.png

shuttle127 likes this.
  4. shuttle127

shuttle127

Would this also work to make a bigger/taller model? One of the characters I named would have to be a lot taller than the rest, and it would be interesting if we had different heights, right?

5. Smurjo

Smurjo

Yes, they can be made different height and - within limits - fat and thin.

shuttle127 likes this.
  6. Smurjo

Smurjo

While we are at baking - of course the townsfolks also wants real cakes... bake away.png

erizzoalbuquerque and itsLevi0sa like this.
  7. Smurjo

Smurjo

Some salad can't miss on the cooking festival. lettuce work.png

Attached Files:

8. Smurjo

Smurjo

And of course some dessert... desserter.png
    I am aware that some of the plays on words won't work for the French version. Unfortunately my French isn't good enough that I could come up with French plays on word's (I can read French and understand most of it, but my active vocabulary isn't so big). Some help would be appreciated.

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  9. galaxyrepeater

galaxyrepeater

Hey Hey! I wanted to contribute to this project. It seems like a fun game with a lot of possibilities.

With the concept art below I imaged these as objects in the game that would be a part of the mission system or task to achieve or pick-up to un-lock different recipes. I also wanted to mimic the initial concept art. It's a lil more sketchy than the originals but hope this can help never-the-less.

Let me know if this is in the wrong area as well or if I'm stepping on toes here.

10. javimtib92

javimtib92

I love this illustrations

galaxyrepeater likes this.
  11. treivize

treivize

@galaxyrepeater, they are great! Next about the usage of them in the game not sure we can decide already they will be a tool for recipes or if they will be part of the decoration object for the town.

Do you plan to do modeling and texturing too?

galaxyrepeater likes this.
  12. galaxyrepeater

galaxyrepeater

Thanks! Treivize and Javimtib92

I could try to do that, I have a very small amount of blender experience. If no one else is interested in modeling I can give it a try.

I also have some other ideas for mission based collectables to concept / model if y'all would like to discuss.

13. Smurjo

Smurjo

They are quite simple. I would politely step back and let you have a go if you like. If I would do for example the wok, I do along the following steps (others might have different approaches - I have no reference):
    - I would first paint the texture unwrapped. It would look something like this: Texture_for_Wok.png
    - Then I would put the texture on a plane in Blender (given that the Wok is somewhat related to plane) and display it with texture. (It takes several steps to do this in Blender you best find yourself a tutorial).
    wokOnPlane.JPG - then I would draw my polygons onto the plane using knife and subdivide (dissolve edges in the delete menu for the edges you want to remove again). You might want to spend some thought on where you need edges and where you don't as you want to keep the amount of polygons low. I put less polygons in the inside of the pan since I think the edges are less visible there.

Of course you can model without texture and take care of the UV coordinates later, but in my experience the matching between the texture and and the edges on the model through the UV can be quite an effort then. wokOnPlane2.JPG
    - then I would delete the superfluous faces, roughly shape the islands and put my model together. Avoid moving single vertices in the early stages, rather rotate, move or scale islands, circles or lines. Merge vertices to connect islands. I intentionally only gave 4 sides to the handle, this way it is less effort to make it 3D, but certainly there will be more subdivide/knife needed to make e.g. a round handle.
    wokOnPlane3.JPG

I hope this helps. I guess, as with everything, practice makes you perfect.

erizzoalbuquerque and itsLevi0sa like this.
  14. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

They are super cool!!

15. laczkyl

laczkyl

Since the game already has a jumping mechanic I was thinking in some platforms that can be reused to create fun puzzles, even if the main game is just about exploration, going from point A to B by jumping is funnier.

The ladder was in the isometric concept art, but making the character climb the ladder would require new animations.

PlatformsUnits.jpg PlatformExample.jpg

16. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

That's cool! The only worry is that this game doesn't use physics, and the character controller can only do so much. I'm not sure how it will work with moving platforms, for instance.

17. aby_gamemaker

aby_gamemaker

Instead of levers and mechanics cant we do the raising with magic.
    We will some how have to either reward or make purchasable a bag of magic dust.
    We could tint magic manipulatable items differently for recognition.

Can we use those lift moving blocks from lego microgame somehow?

18. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Not sure if you mean the logic or the geometry, but in both cases: no :D

The assets are probably covered by a license which is incompatible with the one on this project. For the code, as I said, we don't have physics-based movement (which I believe is used in that Microgame?) so I don't think they are compatible. Plus, the license stuff I mentioned before.

19. laczkyl

laczkyl

It doesn't work with moving side to side platforms, as the character doesn't stick to the surface, but leaning and lifting platforms works okay, and as a side add is quite entertaining, especially with the boing sound effect.

EDIT; I take that back, there is a stuttering with the lifting surfaces

20. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Just for clarity, that sound effect is going to go, it's just for testing purposes. It's going to be more reflecting a real sound.

21. laczkyl

laczkyl

Well, that's just heartbreaking.

cirocontinisio likes this.
  22. erizzoalbuquerque

erizzoalbuquerque

Hey @galaxyrepeater nice work with the concept! Loved your pan and oven!
    I wasn't aware of your concept and created a 3d model of my own head for practicing my 3d skills (I'm a beginner. This is my second model)

You should try making your own 3d model. Is not that hard.

I will follow this thread. I'll be waiting for more cool concepts.

NicknEmart likes this.
  23. laczkyl

laczkyl

That is like super amazing for a second model @erizzoalbuquerque ! Not only the model but the texture is perfect

erizzoalbuquerque likes this.
  24. erizzoalbuquerque

erizzoalbuquerque

Thanks a lot @laczkyl :)
    I have some experience with 2d art (I make comics) that helps a lot. Also, I'm using other 3d assets in the game as a reference for texturing and art direction, so I always have some base to start.
    I'm having a lot of fun learning some 3d skills.

PS: I'm really enjoying your concepts. They are very cool and game development friendly. Keep the good work!

25. galaxyrepeater

galaxyrepeater

That model is quite good!! it matches the Aesthetic of the game really well.

erizzoalbuquerque likes this.
  26. treivize

treivize

@cirocontinisio, a small word because I wanted to share with @galaxyrepeater the credit you made about my simple big dish asset contribution during the last livestream. He was the one behind the great idea of having the phoenix engraving on tableware and other kitchen utensil.

27. arunchahar

arunchahar

A rough islands region distribution[Refer to attached image]. Different regions in islands can provide specific ingredients.
    1. Beaches: For catching fishes. Seafood dishes ingredients.
    2.Grasslands: Town would basically be located in grasslands region having fertile soil. The towns or villages are located here - village A (fishing village), village B, town C, village D, E, F etc.
    Each village/town have their own speciality crop fields. Ingredients specific to crops can be found here. As well poultry animals
    3. Forest: Wild animals, herbs fruits etc. Some hidden recipes or special ingredients.
    4. Mountains: A bit dangerous area with wild beasts but having more unique and rare ingredients.

A map which can show the icons of the ingredients to the specific area. And everything can have their own specific icons.
    Island Region Distribution.png
    -----------------------
    What is the requirements for ingredient icons 512x512 ?

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  28. arunchahar

arunchahar

Made a rough sketch for apple icon.

apple_icon.png

29. Smurjo

Smurjo

In general we definitely need some overall map and I like the idea of having different ingredients coming from different areas so that the player has to explore the whole island.

Yet could you refine your map with only one town? I fear we are struggling to make enough art for one town (or rather village). We also have - after some dicussion (https://forum.unity.com/threads/whiteboxing.987468/) - a real nice location for the town on a cliff with the mountain behind. truffletonOnTheCliff1.JPG

It would be good if you could incoorporate that in your map as well.

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  30. itsLevi0sa

itsLevi0sa

@Smurjo and @arunchahar i am about to post a general whitebox map by the end of the week (I had time during vacation to actually finish it), including Smurjo's town and other community's contributions so @arunchahar you had a great timing. I like these "sections" differentiation and although we only really have one village we can include that thinking in the town structure as well apart from the general map. Working a really "rough" idea of that expanding on Smurjo's work so we could shape this altogether.

31. arunchahar

arunchahar

@itsLevi0sa and @Smurjo I have added some more sketches about general layout of regions. Also we dont even need to add entire village just a couple of houses should do. I think that since we are on an island so maybe all houses can use same models.

House sketches are roughly taken from here https://forum.unity.com/threads/concept-art.995365/#post-6477269

BeachVillage
    1. Fishing Area: Catching fishes
    2. Docks: Arrival and docking of boat
    3. Fish market: seafood ingredients
    4. Residential area
    BeachVillage.png

ForestVillage
    1. Bushes and grass: berries.
    2. Residential Area
    3. Forest and trees: fruits, rabbits maybe ?
    ForestVillage.png

GrasslandVillage
    1. Fields: wheat etc.
    2. Residential area
    3. Poultry farm: Eggs, chicken etc.
    GrasslandVillage.png

MountainVillage
    1. Residential Area
    2. Roads and Bridges
    3. Mountains
    4. Waterfall
    MountainVillage.png

TOWN (SPREAD OVER A BIG AREA) - As @Smurjo said can be placed in mountain area.
    1. Market area: Town market area. ingredients and stuff.
    2. Residential Area
    3. Festival Bonfire and Gathering Area
    4. Festival cooking stalls: All kinds of cooking stalls.
    Town.png

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  32. arunchahar

arunchahar

Okay. I had added some sketches for regions, waiting for input @itsLevi0sa and @Smurjo . Once its confirmed i will add the a refined map as you suggested.

33. itsLevi0sa

itsLevi0sa

@arunchahar what a great input! Loved your sketches. I think some characters could reside outside the main town, so who knows, maybe we could add scattered houses here and there tied to different map-quest areas. I will place several Placeholders similar to your numberings around the map and include your contribution to the current whitebox, which originally started with @NicknEmart 's map . Looking forward to your refined map as well!

34. arunchahar

arunchahar

Added a top down map. We first first finalise our map. @cirocontinisio , @itsLevi0sa , @Smurjo added a insland map in the shape of phoenix chick. Lets finalise the map before i add more sketches of different regions for better visualisation and whiteboxing.

IslandMap.png

Colors and regions
    Brown - Mountains
    Dark Green - Forests
    Light Green - Grasslands
    Yellow - Beach
    Blue - Lake and streams

Lables
    1. Town. @Smurjo As you have suggested the town is big and located in centre of the island and in mountain region. And a small stream flows down from the mountain.
    2. Mountains Lake - Lake located at highest point. From this lake it falls as waterfall at the town background and flows through the town then again as waterfall and create a small lake as the base of the town. @Smurjo incorporated https://forum.unity.com/threads/concept-art.995365/page-2#post-6671476
    3. Roads - Roads and mud paths connecting different region of islands. And have brdges when crossing the streams.
    4. Docks - Ships and MC arrives here. (Docks roughly look like phoenix chick's legs ^_^).

And the small squares are all houses.with the TOWN having large number of them.

And Happy New Year to all.

Smurjo likes this.
  35. Smurjo

Smurjo

This looks better. We put the town on the cliff to give the player a view of it from afar, so he is kind of guided in which direction to go.

What I am still a bit uncertain about is how much space we need for the cooking festival. We don't want it too small so the player's view is obstructed very often and navigation is difficult. But neither do we want it too big as we have fill the space with "life", which would all be art assets and animations that have to be made. Plus we might get performance issues with animating too many townsfolks at once.

36. arunchahar

arunchahar

Tried using the style from here Concept Art Unity and color pallete. Added a Town Terrain sketch based on them.

TownTerrain.png

37. Smurjo

Smurjo

It's pretty rectangular... I think we would want to avoid that as it doesn't look like any mountain natural processes would create. It would be another story if we would want to show something man-made - like a pyramid or space-ship - but I don't think that makes much sense here.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  38. itsLevi0sa

itsLevi0sa

@arunchahar your approach reminded me of @NicknEmart 's approach when he did his map proposal by getting inspired by story related shapes as well (a bowl and a glass to form the island shape). But I know you both did so in order to have a basis to start working on, which is fairly reasonable when you start from scratch. I am just putting it out there to escape the trap of sticking to a certain form from the beginning (the final form will come as a result of the gameplay's functionality).
    Regardless of the island’s shape, it’s the main idea behind the concept that is really what we are concerned about and in both maps’ concept art the main idea seems to be: We have the town in the center placed on a mountain and surrounded by green/water, connected with all the areas we’ll explore potentially giving a clear view of it from the beach. I’ve updated the current form of the whitebox after your latest inputs with the different subparts and village-functionality proposals and it looks like this:
    General Map Diagram.jpg
    For now, the only village we are having is the main one where the festival is happening but there is space for more if we’d like in the future. Now this has been a result of a variety of contributions and I would like to share the process that led to this to discuss on it but since this regards mainly the Whiteboxing thread I am continuing the discussion there .

arunchahar and Smurjo like this.
  39. arunchahar

arunchahar

Added Island Map Terrain. @Smurjo Yeah rectangular looks weird. Tried to make it more natural.
    IslandMapTerrainTopDown.png

@itsLevi0sa saw your post. Looks great. I am posting another Top Down TerrainMap anyway, as i had already started on it.

So now the island shape and terrain are decided right ? So i should move over to arts of specific regions.

By the way can you post a top down only screenshot of your map. I would like to stylize it in the color pallete.

40. itsLevi0sa

itsLevi0sa

Hey @arunchahar here you go:
    town top down view.jpg
    (Those white shapes on the mountain are supposed to be clouds. I saw a tweet from Ciro working on some clouds for the skybox so I was wondering if we could have them around the mountain too?)
    Definitely not :p You can think of this map more like a diagram really. I don't think we'll be able to settle on a final version any time soon, it might constantly change up to the very end as the story and quests provide more input, this is just a rouph basis of how the areas mentioned in the Game Map could be laid on the map. I think it will depend on the individual area's needs how it's going to change. For example perhaps the maze in the Forest Maze area (which has been not worked on yet) might be more functional if it was surrounding the mountain, I don't know. I think we'll jump from the specifics to the general picture back and forth for some time before we get it "right" and that's definitely going to be a result from all the different community inputs regarding the different areas.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Smurjo and arunchahar like this.
  41. arunchahar

arunchahar

Haha well no worries. Imma keep pumping out. This took quite a while. MC arrives at the beach and first thing he sees when he lands is the Town located at mountains with a waterfall.

Beach_001.png

42. arunchahar

arunchahar

Okay. I will just keep adding the Concept Arts. By the way all the arts that i am posting since this post https://forum.unity.com/threads/concept-art.995365/page-2#post-6681676 I am and will be using the color pallete as used here https://open.codecks.io/unity-open-...chmentId=74134ccb-0d2b-11eb-88b0-fbc9a2fa9ef5. Just for keeping some consistency.

43. arunchahar

arunchahar

Island Silhoutte. Intro, MC is sailing and island silhoutte is visible through fog and then island is fully revealed to the MC as reaches the isalnd.

IslandSilhoutte.png

cirocontinisio and itsLevi0sa like this.
  44. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Thanks for this @itsLevi0sa, as you say even if the shape might not be the final one, this stuff is really good to help ourselves at least visualise the island. Then we can work on it.
    But I like this simple structure, really good!

45. arunchahar

arunchahar

@itsLevi0sa stylized your screenshot https://forum.unity.com/threads/concept-art.995365/page-2#post-6685912 in color pallete. Kept it simple to avoid cluttering. LeviosaIsland.png

@cirocontinisio @itsLevi0sa @Smurjo I am just taking this island outline as an example.
    When MC accesses the map in menu at the beginning of the game this map shows up covered in fog of war. Similar to fog of war in Assassins Creed's Maps.
    LeviosaIslandFogOfWar.png

And after the player has explored some part of the island the fog of war get removed. Red dot is player position.
    LeviosaIslandFogOfWarExplored.png

The 2D map can be used as map in menu where player position and other stuff like quest location marker etc can be shown.

And a separate camera from top down can be used as mini map. Or the same 2D map can be used as minimap as well similar to Grand Theft Auto style minimaps

Will try to think about icons.

And add some fast travel points at certain places and the player will have to go and unlock those fast travel point and then player can teleport between those fast travel points. And these points will appear on map as fog of war is removed after player exploration.

itsLevi0sa and Smurjo like this.
  46. Smurjo

Smurjo

I have done this and it worked. I suspect it is quite resource intensive though, it only makes sense if we need to show many things on variable locations - that might be ingredients (I have used it for a treasure hunt with treasures spawning at random and vanishing if not collected in time). If we only want to show the player position it is more efficient to move e.g. red dot around on a static map by script.
    On the more practical side it needs to be considered that the player and the ingredients in scale with it wont be visible on the typically tiny size of minimap. We would have to make special huge signs that are only visible on the minimap.

47. arunchahar

arunchahar

Went through some other gameplays and here are some of my ideas.
    If this is not the appropriate post for current thread thread then just link this thread to the appropriate one.
    Thanks for mention @cirocontinisio , @Amel-Unity , @ChemaDmk on livestream.
    @itsLevi0sa @Smurjo happy to contribute ;):):cool:

1. Icon or logo
    We see the exe file of the game with this particular icon.
    I just added it without size specification.
    GameIcon.png

2. Splash Scheen
    After we open the game we are greeted with splash screen and game name and some motto. And background image is the silhoutte of island.
    SplashScreen.png

3. Game Menu
    We get the game menu. And the menu of the game is like in the shape of a burger since this is cooking game.
    Menu.png

4. Gameplay
    We start playing the game. Some game features.

MAP
    @Smurjo you are correct, the mini-map might be a bit overdoing stuff for a small game.
    A simple 2D map with player position projected should do. Originally it should be covered in fog of war and then it gets revealed as player progresses through. And other icons on maps are also displayed.
    MAP displays the player position, fast travel points and the quest objective. It should be enough and without clutter.

X-RAY VISION, SEE-THROUGH
    In the previous livestreams there was a shader which displays the player through the objects like rocks in different color. A bit similar to Eagle Vision or Eagle Sense in Assassins Creed.
    Example:
    Our character goes in jungle and there are some ingredients and a monster is hiding with the ingredient. We toggle the x-ray vision of character then all the shader of environment gets replaced with dark and dull shader colors and the enemies, NPC and ingedients and player have very bright color shader.
    And when player toggles x-ray off the original shaders are enabled.
    This should be feasible as its just shader or material replacement.

TREE, STONE BLOCKED VIEW
    When the player is turning around the corners of the tree or stone. It gets in the way and blocks the player view.
    A shader can be added which can gracefully fade in and fade out in transparency when camera is near to that object like tree or stone in camera way which hides the player view.

FLOATING QUEST MARKERS
    There can also be a floating marking which shows the distance to the current quest objective and also shows on the map.
    Also the player can simply toggle select or deselect any point on the 2D map and then returning to game it displays floating marker with distance to that particular point.

DAMAGE DIRECTION INDICATOR
    A floating marker which simply points the direction from where the player is attacked. Its not that necessary as the field of views is wide enough to see enemies, but maybe if its looks more pleasing.

ENEMY DETECTION
    When player is detected and attacked by enemy there is some kind of sound or indicator and some fast past music plays out. And that music fades away after fight is finished or player runs away.

5. Inventory
    It looks bland.:p. @ChemaDmk
    Could you let me know the size specifications. I could add some icons files for them. I will add some sample arts for it soon. The background of the inventory could be similar to the menu background.

48. arunchahar

arunchahar

A path through the forest.

001_ForestPath.png

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  49. arunchahar

arunchahar

Cartoony Coconut Tree

002_CoconutTreeCartoony01.png

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  50. itsLevi0sa

itsLevi0sa

Hey @arunchahar ! Really like the effort, its nice to have more concept art :D A little personal feedback on some of your points just to keep the discussion going:
    For the icon: I have to admit it reminds me of Twitter a bit. And since you imagine it for the .exe file maybe it should have a pig or something cooking related?
    For the splash screen: I like the idea of having one and what you suggested (perhaps showing multiple islands instead of one as a reference to the bigger game?), don’t know if this has been discussed somewhere or if it’s considered.
    For the game menu: I think a burger is a bit limiting – not sure if we can decide on a specific dish (yet) as a protagonist for the main menu (?). There has been some discussion in the UI Wireframing thread (there is also the official UI Miro board ) if you’d like to take a look to get ideas for that part (if you haven’t already.) I guess eventually there is going to be a specific thread for the UI graphics.
    For the X-Ray: Well…do we really need an x-ray vision for ingredients and monsters? Dunno, it sounds cool, but it brings other kind of game genres to my mind that relate more to combat/stealth than puzzle/adventure. I think we want the player to not know where things are (to keep exploring).
    For the inventory: @Smurjo has been working on several ingredients in the Regarding art assets and music thread which I assume would need an inventory icon if they are going to be picked up/traded. Maybe you could revive the Inventory Icons thread and post the sample art you mentioned there? Just saying – thinking of links that you might find useful. Cheers.

arunchahar and Smurjo like this.