Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official 3D art assets

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by cirocontinisio, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Smurjo

Smurjo

Now that we have an oven, I guess we need some eggs for baking. Since apart from Tiki I haven't seen any chicken and Tiki is too young for laying eggs, I guess the townsfolk have to use critter eggs. This would also explain the critters hostility - they are only protecting their eggs.

So I made some slime critter eggs. I imagine like frog eggs they have no shell but are embedded in slime. They would come in the same colors as their parents and have this mysterious internal wobbling going on inside (I am using the slime critter materials for the yolk).
    gif_animation_005.gif
    There is no texture, the yolk is 144 and the white is 182 triangles.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    danten66, treivize and itsLevi0sa like this.
  2. Smurjo

Smurjo

Considered even better than slime critter eggs are rock critter eggs. Unfortunately their shell is rock hard. If one would try open it on the edge of a porcelain bowl one would rather smash the bowl than open the rock critter egg. I would imagine the townsfolk would use some special egg cracker utensil (based on the principle of a knuckle joint press? Feel free to suggest some mechanism or even to model it).

rockCritterEggs.PNG
    The rock critter egg has 228 triangles and the texture is 512x512.

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  3. itsLevi0sa

itsLevi0sa

@Smurjo liked the idea! Maybe that could be one of the Key Ingredients we could find in the Rocky Path: Some rare Rock Critter eggs ( golden perhaps?). In general I like all of your ingredient contributions, the eggs add a nice touch since they have this fantasy element. Not sure how much we want to copy real life or think of more fantasy ingredients though. All the above are really helpful. Can't wait to put them in stalls and make a really yummy market scene.

4. Smurjo

Smurjo

I think we should only sprinkle in a few fantasy elements - else they aren't anything special anymore. Yet there was one I had to make in any case - plant critter seeds.

I imagine they taste somewhat intensive. Therefore you would want to be careful not to put too much in a dish as you still want to taste the other ingredients as well. The exception is chicolade (apparently the phoenix chick suggested to use the peeled critter seeds similar to cocoa in chocolade). Chicolade became very popular in Truffleton immediately - not only as sweet but also as ingredient for cakes and desserts.

This is how I imagine the critter seeds and chicolade look like:
    critterSeeds.PNG

The texture for the critter seed is 512x512. The peeled critter seeds and the chicolade use just a color.

Triangles:
    critter seed 244
    peeled critter seed 196
    chicolade 750

cirocontinisio and itsLevi0sa like this.
  5. Smurjo

Smurjo

Thinking of something that Hamlet can find in the forest I made Shiitake mushrooms. I didn't make a box, as Hamlet isn't able to buy them, but let them grow on dead wood, as they would in nature.

Shiitake mushrooms.PNG

The texture is 128x512.

Triangles:
    shiitake detailed 584
    shiitake group 1240
    shiitake group 2 520
    shiitake group 3 760
    shiitake single 1 240
    shiitake single 2 276
    shiitake single 3 260

I am wondering whether I should make the tree stump with mushroom growth a prefab as well, this way it could be placed several times easily. How would I make it possible to interact with the mushroom to have Hamlet harvest them?

6. danten66

danten66

I believe that the animator would need to create a 'picking up' animation within Maya, and then using the Animation and Rigging package within Unity, we could then setup Hamlet with some targets and constraints to pick up properly.

Ciro talks a bit about this in the last live stream but goes into a lot of detail in another unity video (Also mentioned.)

Link to Ciro's Video re: Animation Rigging from Unite 2020 -

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    cirocontinisio and Smurjo like this.
  7. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

We do have an animation already in. Not sure if it's worth too much making it dynamic, as I find (and I found it throught that talk) that you end up at least needing 2-3 animations, since the whole body needs to accomodate the movement... you can't just bend/stretch an arm and call it a day :)

But... it's doable!

Smurjo and danten66 like this.
  8. aby_gamemaker

aby_gamemaker

Can we make hamlet pick up an empty object and then assign objects to the empty.
    This way whenever the empty is picked the object assigned to it will automatically get picked. This could save animating the fingers if required.

Otherwise, we can make a lot of ingredients critter drops. For example, a critter drops a reward satchel upon defeat and hamlet just has to walk over the satchel to pick it up.

9. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

danten66 likes this.
  10. arunchahar

arunchahar

11. Smurjo

Smurjo

@arunchahar I appreciate that you want to build the bridge. But having a look at your concept art, I think it is good for the docks but not for the bridge. To put a pillar in the middle of such a short bridge over the stream would look very primitive (like 4000 year old technology). If you bring a bit of patience, find some great lecture about the different ways to build bridges here:

Sure you don't want to build a big suspension bridge but the basic shapes are still the same.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    arunchahar likes this.
  12. arunchahar

arunchahar

13. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

To make life easier, you can check the Codecks for what is required for the bridge. Requirements such as the bridge being wooden and match with the houses in the town. That way, you can narrow down the design of the bridge, which makes the concept art easier to create. In case you don't have the link, here it is.

https://open.codecks.io/unity-open-project-1/decks/16-3d-shading-animation/card/1aj-bridge-3d-model

arunchahar likes this.
  14. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

arunchahar likes this.
  15. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Is this the bridge or the pier?

16. arunchahar

arunchahar

@MortyJHin thanks for suggestions.

@Harsh-099 Look great. But just wait for a bit, after suggestions from the community members i will add improved arts then i will post again.

@cirocontinisio It is pier. But i will add a improved version soon.

17. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Thanks, I will wait until new art.

18. RTBRuhan

RTBRuhan

Attached Files:

• A.png
      A.png
      File size:
      404.8 KB
      Views:
    cirocontinisio, Smurjo and itsLevi0sa like this.
  19. Smurjo

Smurjo

20. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Some feedback before you open a PR: looks cute, I like the wonky style. It could do with a bit more detail though, right now it's very lowpoly! Like, rounding some edges, or having the "caps" of the planks in a different colour or maybe showing the pattern of the rings typical of wood.
    For the level of detail on the texture, look at the other assets in the project. An example from the Fallen Tree asset:

FallenTree_Albedo.png

Doesn't need to be this detailed, but have some detail.

For how to open a PR, I've made a mini-video-guide:

21. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

22. arunchahar

arunchahar

@Harsh-099, Concept arts for 3D models

Bridge reference
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/concept-art.995365/page-3#post-6835733

Bridge Improved
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/concept-art.995365/page-3#post-6837659

Wooden docks references:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/concept-art.995365/page-2#post-6686314
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/concept-art.995365/page-3#post-6847514

For ropes around wooden pillars. Toroid rings in at angle should do it.

For the anchor ropes its almost a cylindrical shape.

Rope knots. Based on the picture small extrudes with texture painted on it to show outline.

Rope supports It need to be curved in middle for each one.

If you need a bit more detail i will add more sketches, let me know.

Harsh-NJ likes this.
  23. Smurjo

Smurjo

@Harsh-099 I guess you think that ropes are soft objects but modelled in 3D without animation they will be quite rigid. And they will be rigid, you model them just same as a rigid object. You only try to make them look soft as if they were affected by gravity.
    Maybe these screenshots that I took when I modelled the curls give you an idea how to make the coil of rope lying on the pier:
    • As you see I started with a straight strand of hair. I calculated the number of vertices so that I would have around 8 bends per winding (since your rope is larger than the curls you possibly might want around 12. With 3 windings and a few spare you possibly want 40 loops)
    modelling curls 4.JPG
    • Then I literally rolled the curls up. Starting from the tip added loop after loop to the selection and rotated the complete thing in my case around 45 degrees (if you aim for 12 corners it would be 30 degrees)
    modelling curls 6.JPG
    • after each rotation you have to move your selection a tiny bit, this way you can also avoid the second winding goes through the first.
    modelling curls 7.JPG

Harsh-NJ likes this.
  24. arunchahar

arunchahar

25. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Just an idea to make knots easier, you can have a torus that is perfectly UV mapped/textured(along with the bridge) then duplicate them and place them to the right spots to have the knot effect based on the picture. test.PNG Capture.PNG

Harsh-NJ and Smurjo like this.
  26. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

MortyJHin and Smurjo like this.
  27. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

That's a good idea. People often forget that intersection in polygons are totally fine, and they can save a lot of geometry if used correctly (think of a cylinder sticking out of the ground vs. a piece of ground that has geometry that accomodates the pipe seamlessly).

I'm also mentioning this because I had a look at the build on Mac and it felt like we need to take a look at the polygon count and start optimising a few assets! (especially plants).

MortyJHin likes this.
  28. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Would this be a task to optimize some of the assets, or will the task go to the original creator of the models that need to be fixed? For example, if someone did a certain hat or character, that person has to optimize it.

29. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Mostly, yeah. Unless we can do it ourselves. And I understand it might be hard for us to track down the person who made the thing in the first place! :D

30. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

That's true, a lot of people have contributed to the project recently(me included). I can see how it would be hard to get the original creator to optimize the asset.

This was why I was suggesting if this would become a task on Codeckm first. Plus, it would be less for the Unity team since I know how busy you all must be. However, if not done correctly, UV maps might be affected while optimizing the model, which could ruin the textures. However(however lol) I could be wrong about that.

Smurjo likes this.
  31. Smurjo

Smurjo

I think you are absolutely right. I have observed in Blender that merging vertices breaks the UV whereas dissolving edges typically doesn't - except on the boundaries of a texture island.

While optimizing the mesh the boundaries of the islands should be kept. People optimizing assets would have to keep an eye on the UV all the time and repair the UV in case of any accidents. I would usually model textured or at least switch to the textured view frequently (if the texture is very dark) and have the UV editor open in a second window.

32. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Hey all, here is the v1.0 of the pier
    Suggestions please... bridge.png

Attached Files:

33. Smurjo

Smurjo

Here are my suggestions:
    • as the round posts are quite thick it's very obvious the are not round. Maybe you would want to replace them with a cylinder that has e.g. 12 or even 16 edges. Try smooth edges (you remember the thing with averaging the normals) before deciding whether 12 is enough.
    • on the other hand you can save a lot of triangles on the ropes - I guess 8 or even 6 vertices around the rope should do, since the rope is much thinner than the round posts. Therefore it will also be much smaller on the screen. When winding the rope around the posts you possibly want to give the rope the same number of bends as the posts have edges.
    • Don't have the ropes in the knot overlap that much. Real ropes wouldn't do that, they would only deform slightly.
    • Possibly you can make the boards look a bit uneven and worn. Cut of a corner, move the corner vertices a tiny bit in a random direction, make one board thicker and one thinner, rotate them a tiny angle around the vertical. Here is how I have done it on the stage for the cooking festival so far: unevenBoards.PNG
    • Underneath the boards I would rather expect a beam on each side than this big plane (that would have needed a monster tree to cut it from).

cirocontinisio and MortyJHin like this.
  34. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

I have a couple of suggestions.
    1. You should smooth the edges of the pillars so it blends with the knots and looks
    more appealing. (Also make sure to optimize the torus polycount, sometimes they have a lot of polys that you might not need. However, I don't know the poly count for Blender toruses.)

2. Instead of having a huge rectangle to support the planks, split it into two
    thinner ones(not too thin, because it would break if someone stepped on it IRL), to
    make it more appealing and realistic.
    Inkedbridge2_LI.jpg

To make it even better, have those planks be inside the pillars. (I didn't smooth the edges, I just wanted to show an example of how the supporting planks CAN be done, but its up to you)
    1.PNG

Or if you want to make it even better, if your scroll up there is an awesome video by @Smurjo about bridge structures.

3. The planks are colliding with the knots/beams, so you can scale them a bit smaller by the X-axis(whatever the red arrow is for Blender, I use Maya, which uses a different axis from most so I couldn't tell if it's X or Z, so sorry about that). For appeal, you can slightly rotate them so it looks a bit more character.

2.PNG

That's all I can say about the pier. Can't wait to see what you do :D

itsLevi0sa and Smurjo like this.
  35. AstroKale

AstroKale

Hi, I saw the open card on Codecks and made a modular simple bridge for the project. I plan to make a robust bridge too, but I wanted to submit this one for some feedback before I start on the next. Thanks!

Attached Files:

itsLevi0sa, Smurjo and MortyJHin like this.
  36. Smurjo

Smurjo

I think it is good to have this modular bridge to get over swampy terrain. But over the stream I am not so much in favor of a middle pillar. I have some remarks: SimpleBridge Modular Display.png
    1 I like this, it fulfills the function of the diagonal braces with less material.
    2 This beam could take at least double the weight if it was turned 90 degrees (being wider vertical than horizontal)
    3 I don't understand the function of this block. Ornament?
    4 or 5 If we have the braces 1 we would need these even more. It could be build like 4 or like 5.
    6 would balance the forces on the pillar better. The rope for the railing should bend less as it would be quite loose if it bends this much and not cary anything but its own weight. The curve it bends isn't quite correct - it would bend in a catenary curve
    The wood texture is too large. It might possibly be in the wrong direction as well.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    AstroKale likes this.
  37. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Yes, I remember, and did it.
    And I have optimised it to and extent (got rid of ~3000 vertices).
    pier.png

Attached Files:

Smurjo likes this.
  38. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Both the bridge and the pier are very cute, but please stay low with the polygons. For instance, 2250 triangles for just one section of the pier seem like a lot.

MortyJHin likes this.
  39. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Yes, I deleted the inside faces of torus (the knots, which are inside the planks, cylinders etc, and not visible by any way).

Where are the other areas of improvements? (the fours cylinders have 12 faces each, 9 planks with 8 faces, and two supporting beams with 8 faces each. Only visible faces of torus are not deleted).

40. Smurjo

Smurjo

Have you tried to remove loops from the toruses with "dissolve edges"? This will merge the two faces left and right of the edge.

41. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Won't this ruin the curved shape of it? (it has 3 loops, center, left and right. And various small loops across its width.)

42. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Not all the time. If you take out specific edge loops it won't negatively affect the model. Don't forget to soften the edges, when you do so.

I forgot to mention this. Delete the faces/edges under the poles of the pier. No one is going to see the bottom, so it will be wasteful if they are still around. They shall be missed though :D

43. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Yes, I did it before posting these pictures. Vertices were ~5000, after deleting every face that it inside of some geometry (posts, planks etc), now vertices are ~1000

44. AstroKale

AstroKale

Thanks for the feedback! It's meant for the swamps or small gaps, not the larger river. For that I'm gonna make an arched, robust bridge. But I'll redesign this with the tips you gave

Smurjo likes this.
  45. Smurjo

Smurjo

I have refined the big buttress root trees for the forest. I would like these trees to create this typical shadowy atmosphere with lightspots in the forest. The player can walk around in-between the gigantic roots to bring some variety to the maze in the forest.

The tree tops now have a texture and are somewhat more rounded, albeit I have kept some of that playful irregularity. The tree trunks don't have the right shader - for some reason the toon shader is broken in my version (toon wind is still working).
    treeTops.PNG buttressRoots.PNG ButtressRootTrees.PNG

The trunk has 986 triangles and the tree top 464. Together this are 6 less than the tree called "tree" that can be seen in the middle of the picture above.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    itsLevi0sa likes this.
  46. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

I think I can't go any far down from this.
    pierTop.png
    pierRope.png
    Please let me know if it's possible to come more down.

There are 8 ropes, 2 each on each post. 9 planks, rectangular. 2 supporting beams, and 4 posts, 6 sided (hexagonal).

47. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

No, I think this looks ok. How many polygons is it now? This is the pier, right, not the bridge?
    So it would be a piece of the pier, which we'd duplicate a few times?

For the texture you can probably recycle space a lot, since the pier has a lot of repeating elements, so you can reuse texture space for many planks and for more than one pole, and for all the rope pieces.

48. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

It's been a while since I saw a bridge post, so as a break from homework I decided to Whitebox some simple bridges. I haven't optimized it, I made all of the bridges in under 30-40 minutes. I wanted to have a clear picture before I start modeling. From the three bridges I made, are there any that would fit with the game? Any other feedback is also welcome :). Note: I'm just using simple shapes before I start modeling. WhiteBox.PNG

itsLevi0sa and Smurjo like this.
  49. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

They all look very nice! We can definitely use them in town, or even on gaps across rocks. Personally I like the 1st and the 3rd. No other feedback for now except that it could be nice to have more than one variation in length so that we can cover different gaps. So a very short one like the ones you posted, to bridge a small stream, and maybe one twice as long to use across boulders. I wonder if more that a curved-up bridge in that case it makes more sense to build a hanging one (like in the concepts from @arunchahar)

Also as always: keep an eye on the polygons, especially on those ropes!

MortyJHin likes this.
  50. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Right, First I am making @arunchahar's pier and then the bridge.

Yes, one piece is of 9 planks.

Yes, I will start on textures after the model is finalized.
    Please let me know.