Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does NetworkTransformChild have to be attached on the root object?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Ladace, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Ladace

Ladace

When I was using UNET I had a question. There're no such constraints for NetworkTransform that requires the GameObject should be a root in the hierarchy. But as long as I attached a NetworkTransformChild, I could no longer put this GameObject under others.

This doesn't look reasonable to me, and it actually has already affected the development of my project. So I wonder why. Is it possible to remove this strange constraint?

2. mischa2k

mischa2k

All the networking starts at NetworkIdentity - so all NetworkBehaviours have to be a component next to it (aka not on children)

3. Ladace

Ladace

Right. But there's not such requirement that GameObjects with NetworkIdentity should be root GameObjects. So why does NetworkTransformChild have to be on root GameObjects?

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

My understanding is the NetworkIdentity in fact does need to be on the root GameObject.

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Networking.NetworkIdentity.html

And the NetworkTransformChild needs to be on the same GameObject as the NetworkIdentity, so that's why it also has to be on the root GameObject.

5. Ladace

Ladace

Oh I see. Wasn't aware of that. Thanks!

I was putting GameObjects with NetworkIdentity under other objects when they are spawned, and it seemed fine.

Hmm this constraint makes it harder to group GameObjects in the hierarchy.