Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a proper development concept behind multiplayer?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by cscxfjug, Feb 7, 2019.

1. cscxfjug

cscxfjug

There's so many ways one could manage it. One of these is:
    Have 10 players in the game, have 9 players send their input to game host, have host verify tokens and security, which is 9 internet inputs and 1 local input. Host's Unity, constantly executes commands in game's scene, and accurate updates are being sent to every player every 20ms.

I never really developed such a system, what is a general consensus on frameworks regarding a multiplayer game?

2. Hoshiqua

Hoshiqua

I'm no expert but I'd say it's really dependent on how your game works, your expectations in terms of performance / reliance on good ping and how you want to have the shared data processed (whether it be through a central dedicated server or a peer to peer host). I don't think, therefore, that there is such a thing as a "general consensus" on the framework - if there was someone would have developped the ultimate networking engine that you could plug into any project and making online games would be a whole lot easier.

cscxfjug likes this.