Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 beta is now available.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for insight from anyone who has experience with game testing to help us better Unity. Take our survey here. If chosen to participate you'll be entered into a sweepstake to win an Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a proper development concept behind multiplayer?

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by cscxfjug, Feb 7, 2019.

1. cscxfjug

cscxfjug

There's so many ways one could manage it. One of these is:
    Have 10 players in the game, have 9 players send their input to game host, have host verify tokens and security, which is 9 internet inputs and 1 local input. Host's Unity, constantly executes commands in game's scene, and accurate updates are being sent to every player every 20ms.

I never really developed such a system, what is a general consensus on frameworks regarding a multiplayer game?

2. Hoshiqua

Hoshiqua

I'm no expert but I'd say it's really dependent on how your game works, your expectations in terms of performance / reliance on good ping and how you want to have the shared data processed (whether it be through a central dedicated server or a peer to peer host). I don't think, therefore, that there is such a thing as a "general consensus" on the framework - if there was someone would have developped the ultimate networking engine that you could plug into any project and making online games would be a whole lot easier.

cscxfjug likes this.