Search Unity

Unity Hub v2.0.0-beta versions feedback thread

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Deleted User, Mar 25, 2019.

1. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi,
    we are behind an restrictive Firewall and a Proxy.
    Where can i set a proxy, user and pass and get all the needed urls for the Firewall like PackageManager, AssetStore in Editor....
    Up to 2018.3.12 it it worked.
    What are the changes introduced for 2019.1.0f2 ?

2. transat

transat

Actually, I’d like to see not just the asset store move to the Hub but also these forums, the Unity Community stuff, anything remotely “social”. It should also be an “asset browser” from which I can browse asset bundles I’ve bought and allow me to selectively drag assets (and their dependencies) into my projects.

Otherwise I’m really struggling to understand why we need the hub in its current form.

3. transat

transat

Is there currently a way to see if I’ve got the latest version of Unity without having to click on the “Add” button??

4. Sharlatan

Sharlatan

Installed VS 2019 now and it doesn't work but in another way :D (but it seems to work in your case, so there hopefully is a way...)

Now, if VS 2019 automatically starts as admin, but Unity not:
    - Unity can open VS 2019
    - VS 2019 doesn't load the selected script though
    - Every time I open a file, it opens a new instance of VS 2019 (which then, as said above) doesn't display the file
    - Curiously enough, if I navigate to "recent files" in VS, the file Unity tried to open is directly at the top

Really hope I find a solution for this. For work, I'm mainly working on Azure Service Fabric projects which require admin rights for VS if you want to set up and debug on local clusters :(

Really cumbersome. Hope, this turns out to be an easy fix either for me or for UT.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Off topic, this thread is about Unity Hub feedback, not Visual Studio.

6. Sharlatan

Sharlatan

I don't think it's off topic since it's a problem that only happens with/is caused by Unity Hub and the Hub is the way things will be, going forward.

But maybe that's not clear in case one didn't read the whole discussion :confused:

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

I doubt that Unity Hub interferes with the editor being able to open scripts in VS or not. There is no reason for that; it's a problem between VS and your version of Unity.

8. Sharlatan

Sharlatan

Sorry, but your answer makes lets me suspect that you either didn't read my posts or the posts weren't clear enough.

I never wrote that the hub directly causes Unity to not be able to open scripts in VS. If you go through what I wrote, you'll see that the problem is that the hub does not allow for starting Unity in admin mode and that causes the problem indirectly.
    Before, you could just start Unity in Admin mode and it wasn't a problem at all. But that's not possible anymore with the hub.
    If you do some googling, you'll find quite a few people that had to start Unity in admin mode because they had the same problem/requirement as me and that's simply not possible with the hub anymore.

If the "Hub Feedback"-thread isn't the right place to give feedback that and why it is a problem you can't start Unity in admin mode through the hub, I don't know where is. Not being able to launch Unity in admin mode is clearly a limitation of the hub. With the standalone version it's not a problem and never was.

MechEthan likes this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Did you try setting Unity.exe "Run as Administrator" in the compatibility tab so that the Hub can run it as admin? I just did that with 2019.1.0f2 and the Hub (v.2 beta) started it in admin compatibility.

10. Sharlatan

Sharlatan

Yes, I did, thanks for asking though :) As soon as I do that, when I try to start the editor via hub, I get the following error:

That's for the old hub and in the new one, it's practically the same but "Error launching the editor" instead of "Error launching the application"
    I have seen other people in this thread (Brathnann) and other threads confirm this problem as well. Maybe it's Windows 10 exclusive? You mentioned using Windows 7, so, that might be the difference in our setup?

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Might be, I don't know.

Are you the administrator of your computer?

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

After setting Unity.exe "start as admin", did you quit the Hub entirely (from the system tray) and restart it?

13. Sharlatan

Sharlatan

Yeah, I'm 100% sure I'm admin on this computer. Also, I don't have problems opening any programs directly as administrator.
    Anyway, don't want to flood this topic with that particular problem, sorry. Just wanted to let UT know, so they can hopefully reproduce and fix it. But thanks for your help!

14. Sharlatan

Sharlatan

Yes, I did. And thanks, your ideas as to what I might have been missing are really appreciated.

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

If a workaround can be found here; it would allow people to use it while UT fixes the problem. :)

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

17. Sharlatan

Sharlatan

Thanks for your ongoing support! Even already tried it through the registry. But I found a solution that works for now (will try it on my second system as well), although I can not really explain why this might help, since it seems that the Unity hub and the Unity Editor installations are almost completely separated.

Earlier on, thanks to your tip, I already tried the Unity Hub 2 beta, since the current version (1.6?) can't be run as admin but 2 can. But that still didn't help, unfortunately.
    But what I did back then, was to download the Unity installer from the website, which installed the Hub as well as 2019.1.0f2 and *then* upgraded to the Hub 2 beta.
    What I did now was:

• Uninstall everything Unity related
    • Don't download the Unity installer but Instead just download the Hub v2 beta, install that, then download Unity through the hub
    • Quit everything (made sure the hub doesn't run in the background anymore), went to the Unity folder, again set Unity to "Run as administrator" in the compatibility settings
    • Started Hub v2 again as administrator.
    • Now, the Hub could open Unity in admin mode and Unity thus can start VS in admin mode without problem :)
    I'm really not sure why it's working now, after reinstalling everything (except VS) again. I tried the exact same before the reinstall and it didn't work and it doesn't really seem to me like the hub and editor are really interconnected much.
    Anyway, it works now and that's all that matters to me.

@APSchmidt thanks again for your ongoing support, it's really appreciated! Even if it's a tad early: Have a nice weekend! :)

MechEthan and Deleted User like this.
  18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't see any issue here, hub does indeed seem to be indirectly causing a bug with VS on some systems so I see no problem.

19. joinchen

joinchen

i have a big promble.when i creat projct from hub2.0, when i move or roto the scene,very slow,and lag phase, but if i creat project just unity (don't ues hub2.0),don't have the promble.(i have two computers,all they have this promble)

20. Baste

Baste

It might be the lag I described here. In that case, closing the hub fixes the issue.

@AbrahamDUnity, any status on fixing that bug? Any status on 2.0 beta 4?

21. joinchen

joinchen

yeah,i also have this promble

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Unity Hub 2.0.0-beta 4 is available. Will the update install itself at the right place? Suspense...

Installing the update... ... ...

Ah, this time it worked! :D

Capture.JPG

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  23. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Yes! We fixed the lag issue in beta 4. You should no longer experience absurd lag in 2018.x with the Hub v2! Thank you for your patience.

Baste likes this.
  24. Baste

Baste

I like the term "absurd lag". Should use it more often when I ship patch notes for our own products.

25. a1-programmer

a1-programmer

Hmmm. This menu isn't appearing for me. I believe I know why. I'm on a slow/metered connection in a rural area, so I download the core components on my laptop at a coffee shop or elsewhere. My installations almost always happen outside of the hub and are added manually.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  26. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@a1-programmer You can't add modules to manually located editors yet. Sorry.

a1-programmer likes this.
  27. MechEthan

MechEthan

BUG:
    Like Hub 1.x, Hub 2.0 Beta 4 still can't determine and display the current/last-opened-with Target Platform:

The projects in this screenshot have 3 potential target platforms, Android, iOS, and macOS. The Hub should say "Android" for both of them in this screen shot, not this indeterminate state.

Android is what the top, actively open project is set to, and also what the bottom, currently closed project was last opened with. In both cases, Android is what Unity Editor will launch into if I re-open them and don't specify a different target.

Let me know if there's more info I can provide!

28. joinchen

joinchen

i don't understand what you mean. i just down beta4 but,nothing had change. i don't see" restart now"

29. joinchen

joinchen

hi,i canit update,i down the link beta4 and install ,but no upate message.

Attached Files:

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

31. joinchen

joinchen

32. joinchen

joinchen

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

You don't need the update if you already installed the latest version. :)

34. joinchen

joinchen

.I directly installed the latest version. You said it was fixed in beta4 , but i also have the promble about "lag issue"

35. joinchen

joinchen

So there are two possibilities. One is that I cannot download the latest version from the latest link(also old version), and the other is that this BUG has not been completely solved. Is there any way to know whether I am using beta4 or not

36. Deleted User

Deleted User

The latest version is 2.0.0-beta 4. If you have problems, maybe you should use the stable version 1.6.0: https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-hub-v-1-6-0-is-now-available.640792/

37. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

38. mk-kabam

mk-kabam

is it possible to show (partial) folder name in the "Projects" screen ? (like v1.x) ?

bc all our projects is now just say "Unity", which make the project selection hard (we need to manually mouse over each item to check)

eg below screen shot are for different project/path except all under a "Unity" folder
    thanks

upload_2019-5-5_2-55-23.png

39. Z_Kir

Z_Kir

I can't open old version project, but it possible in Hub v 1.6.x

40. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Could you open a separate thread for this issue? And possibly report a bug through the Hub's bug reporter and post the case number there? Once we have access to your logs we'll be able to investigate further.

We've had similar feedback already and are working on a solution to address this. Stay tuned.

Could you open a separate thread for this with more details about your setup and what Unity version you're trying to open?

41. SolarianZ

SolarianZ

Unity Hub 2.0 beta make Unity 2017.x and 2018.x slow!
    When open a 2017.x/2018.x project from UnityHub 2.0 beta, it while become vely slowly when moving Scene camera.

42. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

The issue was reported in this thread and is now fixed :)

43. Deleted User

Deleted User

@AbrahamDUnity Hi, I don't know if this has been asked already so I'm asking now. When we install a new version of Unity and deinstall the previous one, the projects must be assigned a new version to use. When I do that, the choice doesn't hold; to make it hold, I must start the project.

Could you please make it so the choice holds? Thank you.

44. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @APSchmidt,

Do you mean changing the value from the dropdown? Currently the dropdowns allow you to choose an Editor version and build platform before launching a project but they don't apply any change beforehand.

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yep, that's what I mean. It just feels untidy that we can choose the version but that choice must be validated by launching the project. It's just cosmetic, of course. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2019
    MechEthan likes this.
  46. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

We'll look into it :). Thank you for the feedback!

MechEthan and Deleted User like this.
  47. mrbenn

mrbenn

I'm getting an "Error launching the editor: License is invalid" message, though I have a valid licence. It seems to be related to different projects using different versions. For instance I have ProjectA using 2019.1.1f1 and ProjectB using 2018.3.14f1. I can open and close ProjectA multiple times without problems. If I then open and close ProjectB I get this error when I try to open any project from Hub. A restart of the Hub fixes it.

Attached Files:

48. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Thank you for reporting the issue @mrbenn. We are aware of it and will fix it by the official release.

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

@AbrahamDUnity Hi,
    There is something I just noticed:
    • the Hub shows only six projects in its list,
    • there are eight projects in the registry list (HKEY_\CURRENT_USER\Software\Unity Technologies\Unity Editor 5x).
    I recently (yesterday) removed two projects manually, which could be the reason for the difference but, how is it that the registry didn't update itself?

(cough, cough, any way to make this thread sticky so that people find it easily? Just asking... ;) )

50. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@APSchmidt We remove projects that are not in the filesystem from the list but not from the registry. We're actually trying to move away from saving projects in the registry. We will support removing projects from the list very soon.

Cheers,

Noisecrime, Ryiah and Lurking-Ninja like this.