Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity Experimental HDRP DXR

Discussion in 'HDRP Ray Tracing' started by SebLagarde, Apr 4, 2019.

1. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Various information:
    - DXR will be available as preview with the official 2019.3 release. Still you can test it with the beta and with package 7.1.1. More important change are still coming in further package.
    - We have indeed not updated the changelog for DXR for a while due to large change we where planning. DXR was experimental, once it will be out as preview with official 2019.3 we will start changelog
    - Documentation is here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...n@7.1/manual/Ray-Tracing-Getting-Started.html
    - We are deleting the github project: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/Unity-Experimental-DXR . Please use official release.
    - We have the toy scene available here: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/SmallOfficeRayTracing
    - DX12 is slower than DX11 currently but is requried for DXR
    - DX12 is in preview state and have some functionnality not supported as this one:
    d3d12: generating mipmaps for array textures is not yet supported.
    This will be fix for 2020.1 and performance will be fix for 2020.2. Both DXR and DX12 should be out of preview in 2020.2
    - Preview DXR in 2019.3 don't support deformer (skin, vertex animation), don't have correct culling for shadow, don't work with VFX and Terrain, don't work with severals material (no hair, no Fabric, no stacklit, no AxF).
    - See documentation for list of supported features (once we update the doc in 7.1.3 :) ).
    - We don't have DXR template anymore, we have a HDRP wizard instead to help to configure DXR in an HDRP project.

During the beta we have very interested by crash that you could get with DXR (in particular if you have repro step). We are aware that there is instability here and are looking for to fix it. Thanks

Elecman, keeponshading, ina and 7 others like this.
  2. elbows

elbows

Thanks for the info :)

From a tech support point of view (just going by what some people say on these forums), quite a lot of people are missing the ShaderConfig macro validation step, or dont understand how to make a local copy of the hd config package so that the changes to that file stay.

Is there any clever way you can make the DXR wizard give a warning if the SHADEROPTIONS_RAYTRACING macro isnt set correctly?

And an easy link to proper official instructions for copying hd config package to a local location would be good, I make a bit of a long mess when I try to explain ways to do this, any my way might not be best way.

examples:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-ray-traced-shadows.749228/

https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-dxr-shadows-and-global-illumination-not-working.751280/

3. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

thanks for those info.

We have plan to provide an UI to deal with hdrp-config. But we have rush a bit to get this system in-time for 19.3, thus why it is a bit manual :) . And yes, we are also thinking to update wizard to make it automatic.

Thanks for the link, I will be sure we update our documentation with information about how to setup the package

elbows likes this.
  4. freenomon

freenomon

"- Preview DXR in 2019.3 don't support deformer (skin, vertex animation)"

When will Unity support skin deformation with raytracing? (RTAO, RTGI, RTshadows)?
    I'm testing raytracing ao, shadows, gi with characters in UE4,and it's really looking great.. I hope unity can
    do the same soon..

ina likes this.
  5. n12901

n12901

It has disappeared. Maybe the 2019.3 beta HDRP supports ray tracing.

6. elbows

elbows

See above:

7. Pyromuffin

Pyromuffin

I know performance is supposed to be bad, but like, can we at least fix the extremely dumb stuff, like spending 50 ms calling GetComponent()? upload_2019-9-28_15-2-28.png

Lex4art likes this.
  8. Pyromuffin

Pyromuffin

found the culprit in BuildSubSceneStructure.
    comment out these lines to get 30 ms back, assuming you're not using reflection probes.
    upload_2019-9-28_15-40-5.png

Lex4art likes this.
  9. dawickedeye

dawickedeye

Shouldn't the Turing 1600 series be compatible with ray tracing too?
    The documentation only seems to mention the rtx and pascal series, while the 1650/1660 were also adressed with the driver update

10. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, 2020.1

ina, fuzzy3d, OCASM and 2 others like this.
  11. Ruchir

Ruchir

12. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

13. Lex4art

Lex4art

Please some info about this "bug/feature". Hope there is no hidden technical reason to use only LOD0 of the model for ray tracing (low-poly proxy objects can soften the blow here, but it will be good to know if there is a need for them or it will be fixed in 2019.3 release or whatever).

14. Seven27

Seven27

15. Lex4art

Lex4art

It will be very good to get so many of mine milliseconds back but it seems not helping in my case (I've found those two strings in HDRaytracingManager.cs file and commented them but still have clumsy 20fps while editing in Scene view/Play mode with ray-traced GI + reflections). Unity 2019.3b5 + DXR 7.1.1

Upd: O, it's working. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  16. copperrobot

copperrobot

Regarding Skin mesh renderers, I found a bit of a hacky workaround. I had a character I wanted to be reflected in puddles, but of course it doesn't show. But knowing non-skin meshes do I chopped up the character into parts and parented them to the rig in the same place.

The good part is that while placing those objects in their own layer and camera-culling it means they don't appear on camera (thus avoiding obvious and ugly clipping), they DO still appear in reflections. In most reflections it will be indistinct enough to avoid anything being noticed.

sqallpl likes this.
  17. Lex4art

Lex4art

I've updated "Real Materials vol.0 ray traced" scene to v1.1, now there is a whole project packed, no need for the struggle with quest "how to enable ray tracing" only thing you need is Unity 2019.3b5.

Visuals are the same, but in terms of performance it's a day and nigh - so that is a experience to share:
    0)Using Tier1 gives 2x performance boost over Tier2. Thanks to Unity DXR team to have an option here to choose )
    1)I've created a layer named "RTPROXIES" for low-poly version of scene meshes.
    RM optimizations 1.jpg RM optimizations 2.jpg
    2)The idea is to set ray tracing work inside it's own low-poly version of the scene (until a proper support for LODs will arrive) and then apply GI/reflections/etc over hi-poly geometry on "Default" layer (deferred lighting magic...). So, using this "RTPROXIES" low-poly layer for ray tracing (via "Ray tracing environment") I've got this performance boost - from 13.9fps to 40fps!:
    RM optimizations 3.jpg RM optimizations 4.jpg
    3)This was possible not only because of low-poly layer usage but also thanks to
    Pyromuffin's discovery about reflection probes. Here is the example with reflection probes hidden (40 fps) and displayed (26fps):
    RM optimizations 4.jpg RM optimizations 5.jpg
    (It's enough to hide them in scene it seems, no need to comment code).
    Upd: this was fixed on Unity side in HDRP 7.1.2+ - no need to switch off reflection probes anymore.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    SKoptev, m0nsky, Seven27 and 2 others like this.
  18. Lex4art

Lex4art

4)And some more essential settings to receive those 40 fps with ray traced GI and reflections enabled simultaneously - new option "Deferred mode" gives huge performance boost and it's necessary to enable it:
    RM optimizations 6.jpg
    "Rays binning", though, instead of rising fps does opposite (minus 4 fps). And be very careful with smoothness of ray-traced reflections (and reflection settings in general), it can drop fps from 40 to 10 very easily no matter how optimized everything else.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently there is a problem with distant GI (it produces quite ugly dark spots on clean geometry and there is no control other this - even if I have fps to spare on that now, there is no option to tweak :(, it looks extra horrible when you move camera through those white objects X_X):
    RM optimizations 8.jpg

Second concern is amount of VRAM - this simple scene eats around 9GB and probably will slow down or even crash on RTX 2080/2070 videocards with 8GB on board VRAM, 2080Ti barely holding...

But things goes better with each beta! Hope this info was helpful, have fun with ray tracing ).

19. m0nsky

m0nsky

Great results. :D

20. freenomon

freenomon

I still don't get raytraced shadows. no matter what I do.. RTGI and RTAO works fine. maybe it's my windows.

21. Lex4art

Lex4art

Directional light - ray traced shadows works fine from it (should be enabled in Directional light properties).
    Point & spot lights - no ray traced shadows options at all, not working.
    Area lights (rectangular) - ray traced shadows options are there and they works, but only if there is a Directional light in the scene with ray traced shadows enabled in his properties and intensity (in Lumens) of this Directional light are not 0 (if 0 there will be mad flickering of ray traced shadows from area lights). Weird behaviour, reported about those as bugs (Case 1188932 and 1188935).

keeponshading likes this.
  22. elbows

elbows

Work on these has already been done, but I forgot what branches on github they ended up in. Perhaps the 'not yet finished' HDRP 7.2.0 which can be found in branch release/2019.3.

As for shadows not working for some people, most likely explanation is failure to make sure screen space shadows is enabled in both HDRP asset and also via camera 'Custom Frame Settings' (or instead of Custom Frame Settings on camera, HDRP quality/default settings which I dont have experience of, never got it working for this purpose).

Lex4art likes this.
  23. freenomon

freenomon

Those are all checked.. but I do get this error on the Console:

Please fix all the compilation errors for Ray Tracing Shader "RaytracingShadow"!

I read somewhere that is has to do with some Non ansci? character errors on some files (BSDF and some other I forgot)

24. Lex4art

Lex4art

Whoops :/, it seems that all that time I was working on that old 7.1.1 DXR build from month ago (that installed manually in Packages folder) and it's not updating automatically with Unity 2019.3b5 (how did I get those new options like rays binning and so on?)... Now testing area lights - they working fine without Directional light, point & spot light have ray traced properties for ray traced shadows and they are also working fine. Thanks for notice!

Btw, after I cleaned up packages folder from remains of 7.1.1 now every time close editor this SHADEROPTIONS_RAYTRACING = 1 (from Packages > High Definition RP Config > Runtime > ShaderConfig.cs.hlsl) resets to 0 and this is probably the case for people who can't get ray tracing to work...

antonsem likes this.
  25. elbows

elbows

They made some of these config files live in their own package, so that you can copy that hd config package to local packages, without having to copy entire HDRP to local project location. Then when you edit the file the changes will stay.

In projects where Unity have done this, they usually create a LocalPackages folder within project folder, copy package files & folder to be inside LocalPackages folder, and then use file: references in manifest.json to include that package. But normally I do it a more lazy way, I just remove reference to package from manifest.json, and manually copy package folders into existing Package folder in project. It sounds like this is what you were doing with an earlier HDRP dev version. But this time you only need to do it for com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition-config, you can leave the main hdrp package alone.

Lex4art likes this.
  26. elbows

elbows

If what I said there isnt clear, note that Unity do the LocalPackage thing in the SmallOfficeRayTracing project now:

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/SmallOfficeRayTracing

Note the LocalPackages/com.unity-render-pipelines.high-definition-config folder.

And the Packages/manifest.json file, where main HDRP package dependency is referenced in the usual package manager way:

"com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition": "7.1.2",

But config package is referencing the local copy:

"com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition-config": "file:../LocalPackages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition-config",

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/SmallOfficeRayTracing/blob/master/Packages/manifest.json

Lex4art likes this.
  27. elbows

elbows

Also, for people not happy manually editing manifest.json file, if you want a local package that lives somewhere other than Packages folder, can probably do it using the plus button menu at top left of package manager with option 'Add package from disk'. But I havent actually tried doing it that way so I keep forgetting to include it in my attempts to explain solutions for this.

28. Lex4art

Lex4art

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  29. ina

ina

Has anyone tried running this in the cloud? AWS or otherwise

(In reference to streaming RTX over WebRTC )

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  30. Mav71

Mav71

Hi

This is my first scene with DXR and i've experimented problem with SHADER.

Test HDRP-RTX -1.png

This is the result with shader HDRP/lit > Rendering Pass > Default

Test HDRP-RTX -4.png

But if i set Rendering Pass to Raytracing model disappear

Test HDRP-RTX -2.png

Anyone ..... know why?? :eek:

31. keeponshading

keeponshading

Great stuff. Thanks.
    According to your demo i created an RTPROXIE for an Car interior and for the ground. Gives me solid 45fps on an Titan RTX. Are there any tips for moving the car?

Lex4art likes this.
  32. Pyromuffin

Pyromuffin

When writing the emission channel from shader graph, the GI contribution for the object isn't used. A work around is to use an emissive map texture, but it's still inconvenient

Mav71 likes this.
  33. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, we have made a PR to remove all special character: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/pull/4773

34. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

hi, I am not sure to understand, could you describe a bit more your step please?

You have a shader graph and when you used emission input of it, then GI doesn't work? Are you talking about the raytacing part (relfection ?) or just the regular rendering?

THanks

35. alexander_unity931

alexander_unity931

36. Lex4art

Lex4art

I don't have enough experience with animated stuff and ray traced rendering but all should work fine if it is not skinned mesh and proxy objects animation matches that on the original meshes.

37. Mav71

Mav71

Hi Seb

Excuse me for my intrusion, but i 'm in confusion with shader. The standard HDRP/lit in RenderingPass option
    need to be set Raytracing only for transparency? or it need to be set for every type of rendering?
    When i set to Raytracing model disappear, but editor setting for DXR raytracing are correct ......

38. keeponshading

keeponshading

aah. ok. i cannot wrap my head around completly what calculations are done via the proxys and what calculations work with lod 0 or high detail geometry.

39. elbows

elbows

Those errors are caused by entries in Packages/manifest.json that were expecting you to have a manually copied version of HDRP etc packages in a SRP folder. This has already been changed, so you must be using an older version - try cloning the repository again.

Here is what I mean, the current manifest.json file doesnt contain those entires anymore, now it gets HDRP 7.1.2 in the standard package manager way, and only uses a local package for HD config package, not the others.

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/SmallOfficeRayTracing/blob/master/Packages/manifest.json

However there may also now be a mistake @SebLagarde in the LocalPackages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition-config/package.json file. It is set to version 7.1.2 but the unity version is still set to 2020.1 (and release a03) instead of 2019.3 and 0b4.

https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...pipelines.high-definition-config/package.json

40. newguy123

newguy123

Hi Guys

Newbie question1, for raytracing to work, should my main monitor I use the editor on, be connected to may raytracing enabled card, or can that card be my secondary card without monitor connected? (I have a Gtx 670 as my primary and 1080Ti as my secondary)

Newbie question2, For raytracing, can 2 X RTX2080Ti's be used in SLI to double up the VRAM, or is SLI not supported currently?

41. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Indeed, thanks for the report

elbows likes this.
  42. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

question1) I don't know, safe answer will be that primary card should support the raytracing.
    question2) SLI is not supported

newguy123 likes this.
  43. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

RenderingPass set to rayrtacing allow to enable the effect we call Recursive Rendering : https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...1/manual/Ray-Tracing-Recursive-Rendering.html.
    So you need both a volume of recursive rendering + object that use Renderpass: Raytracing to be able to transparent object with raytracing (i.e multiple reflection and refraction). It is also suppose to work with opaque (in this case primary ray come from the camera instead of using the gubffer as primary ray).
    Note that we only support lit, unlit HDLit, HDUnlit currently.

keeponshading likes this.
  44. copperrobot

copperrobot

Been working on a new scene with DXR. You can see the reflections in the puddles and on the cars. Spotlights sadly do not raytrace, but they work for the limited use case here. Going to make a fun little music video thing.

forbidd3n3ra, Lex4art, Mav71 and 2 others like this.
  45. copperrobot

copperrobot

As a note, the astronaut is a skinned mesh renderer, which is not currently supported. However I placed mesh renderers of the different parts parented to the bones and then culled them from the camera so that they only appear in the reflections.

46. ArnoldCarterWong

ArnoldCarterWong

Is there any chance StackLit will be supported with DXR in the future?

47. wenzy

wenzy

Hi @SebLagarde.

Does DXR not support procedural mesh in Rendering pass - Raytracing yet?
    Here is my result.All the objects is procedural mesh and updating vertices everyframe except the sphere.They all use the same material(Rendering pass - Raytracing) and MeshRenderer component.Only the sphere's rendering is correct.The others turn black and has some flickering.

批注 2019-10-11 105636.png

When i change that to Rendering pass - Default,they works well.I'm using 2019.3.0b4 and has enabled recursive rendering~
    批注 2019-10-11 111102.png

This is the testing video. (https://twitter.com/i/status/1182324728851075074)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Ehredt likes this.
  48. INedelcu

INedelcu

Unity Technologies

The only component type supported in 2019.3 will be Mesh Renderer. Also any [geometry / tesselation] shaders that deform the original mesh geometry while doing normal rendering won't affect ray tracing. Unity 2020.1 will additionally support Skinned Mesh Renderer component.

49. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

1. Since I linked my FB account to my unity account, the forum thought my username was already in use? I don't know if someone can fix this, I had to change it to get on, even though I was able to change it back to 'forbiddenera' in my unity account. Was frustrating as it said I wasn't logged in on the forum, I couldn't login, couldn't create new account, or even log out.. Eventually figured it out..

2. I've had a heck of a time getting any DXR stuff running decent in Unity yet and it's been discouraging. What is encouraging is some of the beautiful renders I've seen in this thread. I mostly got my RTX card (2060, 8-core (older) xeon, 32gb ram, mp3,1) for this; I started developing a racing game back in the early Unity4 days, got it running pretty decent on Unity but my hardware at the time couldn't keep up. Finally have some OK hardware so want to get it running again.

3. I guess I don't fully understand how projects are laid out in Unity anymore? I mean it seems obvious but..? I would think that creating a new HDRP project would create an empty project, maybe give me the option of loading/importing a sample scene but not load it right into my project..I guess it does seem to take care of a lot of stuff for you which is always nice, but, can I just maybe delete the scene stuff and save it as a 'clean' project? It would be odd to have any leftover 'sample/example' assets in your own project, no? :) Not to mention just starting a project results in an over 500 megabyte folder! My entire last test project was less than that and you were able to drive a car around a rather large track.

I've had numerous issues; all seemingly random and not always repeatable. One that is repeatable that has been mentioned in this thread already is the
    ShaderConfig.cs.hlsl
    #define SHADEROPTIONS_RAYTRACING (0)
    getting reset all the time.

I've literally only been working with the sample scene so far, just trying to implement all the DXR stuff as listed in the docs.

The docs list a "Tier 3" ray tracing option, for some reason I only ever see Tier 1 and 2, there is no Tier 3. Docs say this is required for path tracing, but I had that working earlier on Tier 2? Last time I tried it, all I got was black scene.

I'm going to go through and try a few things while writing this post now and see what issues I run into. It's quite possible that some/many/maybe most or even all are user error, I haven't worked with Unity since 4 was new, my last project started on Unity3 and upgraded to 4 when it came out.

Even though I've started a bunch of projects and had issues with all of them I'm going to start a fresh one for this as I'm already having issues with the one that is open. (the #define had reset itself it seemed even though I didn't close/exit editor, now GI wont RT suddenly even though AO is working)

1. Unity Hub -> new 2019.3.0b6 High Definition RP project
    2. Window -> Render Pipeline -> HD Render Pipline Wizard
    --> HDRP shows issues with Asset Configuration and Diffusion Profile
    --> HDRP + DXR shows those two, plus Auto Graphics API not supported, DX12 needed, Screen Space Shadow Required, DXR not activated, DXR Resources
    --> Click FIX ALL..wait...Restart Editor..wait.....
    3. Packages -> High Definition RP Config -> Runtime -> ShaderConfig.cs.hlsl -> Edit with MSVC -> Set
    #define SHADEROPTIONS_RAYTRACING (1)
    .. wait ...........................................................
    4. HDRenderPipeline Asset Config -> Enable Realtime Raytracing, Tier2
    5. Edit -> Project Settings -> Player -> Uncheck Static Batching
    6. Edit -> Project Settings -> HDRP Default Settings -> Ray Tracing was already on
    7. Sky & Fog Volume -> Add Component -> HD Raytracing Environment
    8. Sky & Fog Volume -> Add Override -> Lighting -> Ambient Occlusion -> Override for RT on -> RT on -> Seems to work, adjust settings a bit..
    9. Sky & Fog Volume -> Add Override -> Raytracing -> Global Illumination -> Override for RT on -> RT on -> seems to work this time as well..noisey though..turn on both denoisers and it's not so bad, seems to do more than cranking sample count.
    10. Sky & Fog Volume -> Add Override -> Lighting -> Screen Space Reflection -> Override for RT on -> RT on -> no idea.. don't see a difference, nothing is really reflective in this scene.. Maybe I should add something / change a material, but first I want to continue through the list of things..
    11. Directional Light -> Shadows -> Shadow Map -> Screen Space Shdows ON -> Ray Traced Shadows On
    --> Contact shadows disappear on 'medium' or 'low' it seems..on 'high' they don't appear good at all..distored with lines and stuff..but I remembered where the settings for them were..turned up sample count, looks better..though I had to go all the way up to get it looking decent.
    12. Starting to have issues. I pressed play, while the shadows look perfect in the static view, and in the scene view (though moving in the scene view looks weird because of the way the RT shadows fill in over the contact shadows..) it looked screwed while playing, the shadows change completely. Disabling RT shadows made them look 'normal' in play mode again. Re-enabling still looks wrong; disabling contact shadows shows almost no shadows in the scene at all when RT shadows is on, so RT shadows aren't showing up in the camera when playing. Though they show up when not playing. Actually.. some shadows do show up.., like from the paint bucket and table but not from the wall.
    13. Sky & Fog Volume -> Add Override -> Path Tracing -> Enable -> blackness..press play->whiteness!! This did work before.. and I have never been able to select a Tier 3.. which I believe docs say is req'd. I press stop, the editor window does show some path tracing..for a bit..then goes black..
    14. Let's restart the editor. Save. Restart. Still black..hmm too bad that worked before..? Oh, but my shader config #define is 0 again, woo. Set to 1. Path tracing still black. Scene looks darker than before. Unity Editor crashes....

Will continue in another, post, because I want to link this in my bugreport.

Attached Files:

50. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

15. Restart Unity. Set shaderoptions_raytracing to 1, again. Unity actually responds by importing stuff this time (didn't last time)
    16. Now I just get a grey editor screen. Only thing rendering is the XYZ doohicky (with or without path tracing). Camera is solid black. Pressing play changes nothing.
    17. Check HD render pipeline wizard -> 'there are issues with the asset configuration', 'there is no diffusion profile' .. *fix all* .. no change.. still grey scene view / black camera.
    18. Turn off RT options for AO, GI and SSR, forgot shadows. Save Project. Restart Unity. Scene appears normal in editor and camera with RT shadows.
    19. Set shaderoptions AGAIN. Responds, imports.
    20. Press Play, most rt shadows disappear. Stop, reappear. Actually, it seems like it's mainly just the shadow of the wall. The shadow of the table too. The hammer and other stuff on the table, paint bucket and construction light cast their shadows.
    21. Lets try Recursive Rendering. Select floor material, select ray tracing. Disappears (expected). S&F Vol -> Add Override -> recursive rendering -> enable -> floor is now reflecting stuff and is raytraced. I press play and it turns grey. With wierd things rendered 'in the floor'

I've followed pretty much this exact same process on several different projects just trying to test this out with the example scene. I've had path tracing working. I've never seen tier 3. It seems like every time I start over with a new project, I get a different problem.

Attached Files: