Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity Experimental HDRP DXR

Discussion in 'HDRP Ray Tracing' started by SebLagarde, Apr 4, 2019.

1. unity_RuwGDfd2lVx01A

unity_RuwGDfd2lVx01A

Okay, what the hell... I disabled and re-enabled raytracing in my pipeline asset and now it gives me this error:

System.Exception: Cannot load. Incorrect path: Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition//Runtime/RenderPipeline/Raytracing/Shaders/RaytracingReflections.raytrace Null returned.
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.ResourceReloader.Load (System.String path, System.Type type, System.Boolean builtin) [0x00036] in C:\Users\BillGates\Desktop\ScriptableRenderPipeline-HDRP-staging\com.unity.render-pipelines.core\Runtime\Utilities\ResourceReloader.cs:153
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.ResourceReloader.SetAndLoadIfNull (System.Object container, System.Reflection.FieldInfo info, System.String path, System.Boolean builtin) [0x0000c] in C:\Users\BillGates\Desktop\ScriptableRenderPipeline-HDRP-staging\com.unity.render-pipelines.core\Runtime\Utilities\ResourceReloader.cs:162
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.ResourceReloader.ReloadAllNullIn (System.Object container, System.String basePath) [0x0007e] in C:\Users\BillGates\Desktop\ScriptableRenderPipeline-HDRP-staging\com.unity.render-pipelines.core\Runtime\Utilities\ResourceReloader.cs:45
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipeline.UpgradeResourcesIfNeeded () [0x00092] in C:\Users\BillGates\Desktop\ScriptableRenderPipeline-HDRP-staging\com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition\Runtime\RenderPipeline\HDRenderPipeline.cs:444
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipeline..ctor (UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipelineAsset asset, UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipelineAsset defaultAsset) [0x004ef] in C:\Users\BillGates\Desktop\ScriptableRenderPipeline-HDRP-staging\com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition\Runtime\RenderPipeline\HDRenderPipeline.cs:298
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipelineAsset.CreatePipeline () [0x00004] in C:\Users\BillGates\Desktop\ScriptableRenderPipeline-HDRP-staging\com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition\Runtime\RenderPipeline\HDRenderPipelineAsset.cs:38
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

"RaytracingReflections.raytrace" exists but in
    com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition\Runtime\RenderPipeline\Raytracing\Shaders\Reflections

not
    com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition\Runtime\RenderPipeline\Raytracing\Shaders

Screen goes black, can't see anything. And yes, I am using HDRP 7.1.1 imported from github. When I disable raytracing again everything works fine. Deleting my library folder and restarting doesn't fix it.

2. wenzy

wenzy

thanks to your video! I think maybe I miss the first part which download the SRP from GitHub and do the replacement.So I can't see the raytracing option in the editor like yours.I will follow your steps and have a try

3. freenomon

freenomon

I'm experiencing the same problem. when I do the HDRP wizard and check every option to make it green then restart the editor, the screen goes blank. (gray on scene window and black on game window). I can see the cursors (arrows for translation tool), but no geometry nor sky nor background is visible.

any thoughts?

4. freenomon

freenomon

I'm experiencing the same problem. when I do the HDRP wizard and check every option to make it green then restart the editor, the screen goes blank. (gray on scene window and black on game window). I can see the cursors (arrows for translation tool), but no geometry nor sky nor background is visible.

any thoughts?

importing the new SRP from github will give you the raytracing options, but even at that I am getting gray screen of windows.

this is the error message I get:

System.Exception: Cannot load. Incorrect path: Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition//Runtime/RenderPipeline/Raytracing/Shaders/RaytracingReflections.raytrace Null returned.
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.ResourceReloader.Load (System.String path, System.Type type, System.Boolean builtin) [0x00036] in D:\PROJECTS\UNITYPROJECTS\DXR5\Packages\com.unity.render-pipelines.core\Runtime\Utilities\ResourceReloader.cs:153
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.ResourceReloader.SetAndLoadIfNull (System.Object container, System.Reflection.FieldInfo info, System.String path, System.Boolean builtin) [0x0000c] in D:\PROJECTS\UNITYPROJECTS\DXR5\Packages\com.unity.render-pipelines.core\Runtime\Utilities\ResourceReloader.cs:162
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.ResourceReloader.ReloadAllNullIn (System.Object container, System.String basePath) [0x0007e] in D:\PROJECTS\UNITYPROJECTS\DXR5\Packages\com.unity.render-pipelines.core\Runtime\Utilities\ResourceReloader.cs:45
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipeline.UpgradeResourcesIfNeeded () [0x00092] in D:\PROJECTS\UNITYPROJECTS\DXR5\Packages\com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition\Runtime\RenderPipeline\HDRenderPipeline.cs:444
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipeline..ctor (UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipelineAsset asset, UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipelineAsset defaultAsset) [0x004ef] in D:\PROJECTS\UNITYPROJECTS\DXR5\Packages\com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition\Runtime\RenderPipeline\HDRenderPipeline.cs:298
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipelineAsset.CreatePipeline () [0x00004] in D:\PROJECTS\UNITYPROJECTS\DXR5\Packages\com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition\Runtime\RenderPipeline\HDRenderPipelineAsset.cs:38
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Shoud I uninstall the old/original HDRP that comes with the unity 2019.3 beta first?

5. unity_RuwGDfd2lVx01A

unity_RuwGDfd2lVx01A

Okay I fixed my issue at least. Enable raytracing in your pipeline asset, goto Project Settings>HDRP Default Settings, click on "HDRenderPipelineRayTracingResources" and add the shaders back manually. Mine somehow magically added themselves after I added the first one and now everything works.

So for clarification "Reflection Raytracing RT" needs "RaytracingReflections.raytrace" in it.

EDIT: To make reflections not mess up during runtime, turn off static batching. And in screen-space reflections turn "Min Smoothness" down to a value like 0.4!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Lex4art likes this.
  6. Lex4art

Lex4art

Meh, that bug with "if mesh has more than one material on it - ray tracing dies" still there in 7.1.1 :(. No use for me with this limitation...

Upd: hmmm, it's more like about overall count of unique materials or even amount of unique texture maps used on them. Testing...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  7. elbows

elbows

Thats been fixed in HDRP/staging branch on github now. ( https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...mits/8b171a04ddf0434d503d6d51bda0ba611cd9aa45 )

And point light raytraced shadows should be in that branch now too.

OCASM and Lex4art like this.
  8. unity_RuwGDfd2lVx01A

unity_RuwGDfd2lVx01A

I have a question: Why does my fps tank when I look at smaller objects? Shouldn't it be a constant rate of rays being fired?

Also, Lex4art: Mine seems to work fine with two or more materials on objects. Unless, of course that's the cause of my lag lol.

soleron likes this.
  9. freenomon

freenomon

Thanks for the post, doing that made my scene view show the content. however I still don't see any raytracing effects on it and shadows are gone.. (and AO with raytracing turns off AO).

upload_2019-8-31_9-29-27.png
    I have all raytracing options enabled..

this is the error I see:
    Please fix all the compilation errors for Ray Tracing Shader "RaytracingShadow"!
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  10. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Can you try this? https://github.com/0lento/Unity_DXR_Test. If that doesn't work, then it's something else wrong on your computer.

11. soleron

soleron

Ouch? Is this limitation in the 19.3 Beta version? Is this why materials disappear when you switch them to Raytrace?

12. petersx

petersx

I confirm - that 0lento project from github works perfectly with ray tracing ( I have GTX 1070ti) - it uses HDRP 7.1.1 which is not enabled in beta 2019.3 even in staged

13. petersx

petersx

You have to add recursive rendering in volume (Add Override->Ray tracing->Recursive Rendering)

soleron likes this.
  14. elbows

elbows

To be clear when people speak about 7.11 here, thats the current version under development on github and it isnt finished yet. So it wont show up in any package manager yet, and its a moving target, eg if I was speaking about 7.11 a week ago, well the raytracing code has already changed again a number of times since then.

soleron likes this.
  15. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

^ this is why never call random grabs from github specific versions (as they are just WIP versions toward that release number eventually).

soleron likes this.
  16. elbows

elbows

Yeah, I try not to do that, unless its a version on github that has actually been finished and just hasnt shown up in package manager yet.

Anyway I look forward very much to getting my teeth into the ray tracing stuff more this coming week, havent had enough time recently but that should change soon.

17. soleron

soleron

Thanks that helped the material to not disappear which is a step to the right direction :D but removed all texture info from the material. Still not usable. :(

Is there a proper guide about how to set this up somewhere along with any troubleshooting information for issues that may occur during the transition?

18. Lex4art

Lex4art

RMvol0RT1.jpg RMvol0RT2.jpg RMvol0RT3.jpg
    Some problems were solved and now I have a sandbox to play with ray tracing. Here is the link if you wish to try this map :). Intended to be used with HDRP package 7.1.1 (not 7.0.1 that comes with Unity 2019.3b1) - so follow this video, import my HD pipeline settings as on screenshot:
    Import pipeline settings.png
    and apply this fix after that (even if you did that before in this project).

Lessons learned:
    0)It's fun :D. Even with 15-20fps on RTX 2080Ti I can move objects and have GI/reflections in few next seconds ... aggghhh. Need moar, though!
    1)It's safe to have up to 4 materials on mesh. If more - ray tracing may stop (sometimes 5 materials per mesh may work, but only sometimes). Currently it's perfectly enough to have some fun with sandboxing.
    2)Map settings (camera, postFX volumes, direct light, fog and sky volume) - all that should be turned in to prefab on the SampleScene that comes with HDRP and used on my own map. My own cameras/direct lights/volumes should be wiped off completely because they are causing a version of this nasty bug with material limit but in this case it can limit material count drastically (2-3 materials per mesh and ray tracing may die).
    3)GI with per-pixel rays is way too heavy and probably will have no go until 3-4 times more performant hardware will be available. There is a need for something more like that was done in "Metro: exodus" and PTGI v9 in Minecraft.
    4)Foliage still a problem for per-pixel ray tracing. Maybe this was already solved in Metro/Minecraft too, though. Currently old trick with GIPROXY objects helps to receive at least approximation of a shadow/GI from tree canopy/bushes.
    5)Reflections are over-optimized (left is reflective surface, right is view from camera on the same spot):
    RMvol0RT4.jpg

Suggestions:
    1)GI - it will be good to have additional parameter "Secondary rays length ratio" that cuts Ray Length for second bounce and up. This way, maybe, it will be possible to have more than one GI bounce and have enough of performance (because secondary rays are usually happens inside the mesh cavities/intersections and only short rays are doing job, long ones are waste of resources anyway).
    2)Reflections - it seems there is a pattern:
    - pixels with smoothness 1 (polished metal, glass, etc) need to have Ray Length with maximum possible value (50 currently, not enough imho) and no filtering to stay razor sharp + can have more than 1 bounce without serious performance loss.
    - pixels with smoothness <1 need lower Ray Length need to have more filtering and than lower the smoothness of the pixel than lower Ray Length is needed and then more filtering should be applied for them to look correct (and more optimizations from point 5 of "lessons learned" can be done on them + no secondary bounces).
    So, maybe this can be hardcoded and give better results with a quality and performance boost*?*, if per-pixel rules can be so flexible to setup and fast to perform...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    keeponshading, OnlyVR, OCASM and 3 others like this.
  19. iriguchi

iriguchi

I tried to use DXR last week but there is no luck......
    I use Quadro RTX 5000. but I can not find the card on siggraph 2019 presentation "Direct X Ray Tracing in Unity 2019.3".
    Is the card supported on Unity 2019.3 with DXR?

20. freenomon

freenomon

Raytracing effect not showing on the dxr demo that downloaded.. I still get this error:

Please fix all the compilation errors for Ray Tracing Shader "RaytracingShadow"

anyonelse get this error? Maybe I'll just wait for official release.. sigh

21. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

That error probably means you haven't changed the hdrp config package define manually.

22. Jess_AA

Jess_AA

Hi,

I'm having a persistent problem with the DXR raytracing environment (using Unity 2019.2.0a5, HDRP version 5.16 I think) where the editor will keep crashing. As such I can't confirm the HDRP version I'm using as I can't open the project but pretty sure it's that.

It's frustratingly inconsistent: it first started happening when I tried to import a very simple mesh (~300 polys), and most recently has been happening as a result of me adding several track groups to my Timeline.

I've attached the Editor log, as well as the Error log and a screenshot of my computer specs. Sorry for the lack of info, please let me know if there's anything more info I need to provide.

Attached Files:

23. sqallpl

sqallpl

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-metro-exodus-ray-tracing-4k60-analysis

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-battlefield-5s-stunning-rtx-ray-tracing-tech

Would it be possible to expose these kind of settings for raytracing resolution in the HDRP DXR implementation?

Question to HDRP devs. Do you plan to develop/expose solutions that can use smaller than 'one ray per pixel' resolution for DXR, especially for GI?

Thanks.

forbidd3n3ra, OCASM and Lex4art like this.
  24. Pyromuffin

Pyromuffin

I don't know if this has been covered in this thread (it's quite long), but i've been messing around with the DXR hdrp in 2019.3 beta. My biggest issue so far is that the denoiser is far too temporally slow for anything moving slightly fast. Is this a motion vectors problem? I've had to crank up the samples per pixel so that I don't have to use the denioser, which makes things ridiculously slow. I'm doing 30 fps at 720p with 64 spp on a 2080 ti, using RT GI in my GPU simulation game Vectorboy64:

https://twitter.com/pyromuffin/status/1168448038412537856

if I leave the denoiser on, i get unusably blurry ghost-trails on all the fast moving lights.

otherwise, i am pretty happy with how easy it is to make something look super duper ridiculously cool. :D

edit:
    another thing I've noticed is that the RT GI doesn't take into account recursive rendering eg. putting an emissive source in front of a cylindrical prism doesn't create caustics like I would expect. It would be pretty cool if that worked!

fuzzy3d, OCASM and keeponshading like this.
  25. freenomon

freenomon

Really? I went to the folder where the hls file is located and opened in wordpad and changed it to (1).. and Unity reimports somethings (I think shaders), so I thought it was changed. Or is there a certain way it has to be changed?

26. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Unity can reset it unless you move the package to some local folder, simplest is to just move hdrp config package from library/packagecache into packages folder and edit that file there (just have to do this again if you upgrade HDRP itself later on).

27. Pyromuffin

Pyromuffin

Has it been explained what the "Ray tracing mode" drop down box on mesh renderer does? It doesn't seem to matter that much for RT GI, because even when objects are set to Ray Tracing Mode off, they still receive RT GI.

28. Lex4art

Lex4art

Btw, I've recently noticed that ray tracing reflections are always using LOD0 of the model, regardless the distance. Culling distance also ignored - model is culled, but it's reflection of LOD0 stays visible. Bugreport with clear example was sent (Case 1181348) but later I did more tests with ray-traced GI/shadows/occlusion and it's the same - they're always using LOD0 (you can move each LOD to different place but GI/shadows/AO will stay in the same place were LOD0 was located or not appear on LOD mesh with different position) and ignoring distance culling. Not sure this is a bug with current "preview of the beta" stage, but maybe this report somewhat useful... At least major performance improvements are possible here with future development ).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  29. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

On current github version, denoisers are totally unusable for real-time games IMO. I hope they work on this. I don't know about DXR tech itself but it feels weird that they don't discard obviously bad data from temporal filtering asap in motion but let it ghost for really long durations. This is especially bad today on raytraced shadows denoising but also clearly noticeable on all DXR denoisers, including GI and reflections.

To use DXR reflections, I have to ramp up the samples a lot as I can't use the denoisers myself either.

30. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

31. copperrobot

copperrobot

So I have GI and reflections working via the test project posted earlier. 7.1.1 package etc. Really it just works and there's some tweaks done for taste. However I'm seeing two issues .The first is that as you can see the reflection doesn't reflect shadows.

The second is that emmissive objects don't appear to cast any light.

Also get this bug, which is annoying, but I've no idea if it's breaking anything or how to stop it:

This error sometimes occurs, which seems more serious:

32. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Reflections actually show the shadows but in this case the shadows get culled from the main screen and they don't show on the reflection because of that. If you move the camera further back when the shadows for those object render on main view, they'll show on the reflections as well. This is a known issue.

33. unity_RuwGDfd2lVx01A

unity_RuwGDfd2lVx01A

Terrains don't contribute to raytracing:

34. copperrobot

copperrobot

I've moved the camera every which way and seen no difference in this. I have seen the bug you mention before however.

35. copperrobot

copperrobot

Okay, so it seems direct light is fine, but rectangle lights do not cause shadows in reflections

36. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Doesn't work on my end either, just tested this.

37. OnlyVR

OnlyVR

Thank you!
    By the way, how to disable the temporal denoising?

38. Pyromuffin

Pyromuffin

btw, i was able to increase the speed of the temporal denoiser by editing line 164 in TemporalFilter.compute, to produce a significant reduction in ghosting:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     // Fetch the current value, history value and current sample count
    2.     #if SINGLE_CHANNEL
    3.     float color = LOAD_TEXTURE2D_X(_DenoiseInputTexture, centerCoord).x;
    4.     #if HISTORY_IS_ARRAY
    5.     float2 history = LOAD_TEXTURE2D_ARRAY(_HistoryBuffer, historyTapCoord, _DenoisingHistorySlot).xy;
    6.     #else
    7.     float2 history = LOAD_TEXTURE2D_X(_HistoryBuffer, historyTapCoord).xy;
    8.     #endif
    9.     float sampleCount = history.y;
    10.     #else
    11.     // Get the current sample to filter
    12.     float3 color = LOAD_TEXTURE2D_X(_DenoiseInputTexture, centerCoord).xyz;
    13.     float4 history = LOAD_TEXTURE2D_X(_HistoryBuffer, historyTapCoord);
    14.     float sampleCount = 2; // history.w; <--------------- this seems to be how many frames of previous data it will use for the temporal densoising. I think the max is 8, so setting it to 2 seems to be a pretty significant reduction in ghosting.
    15.     #endif

edit: at least for GI, you might need to edit a different sample value for the shadows.

here's my game running 4k 60fps with 4 samples per pixel :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  39. Lex4art

Lex4art

It's hard-coded in to ray tracing core as far as I see, disabling "Denoise" option in Global Illumination and Reflections settings will make it less noticeable but there will be horrible amount of noise:
    denoise OFF.png

40. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Also as mentioned by Unity developer on discord, there are few settings that can speed up raytracing for games. Firstly we should use Tier 1 on HDRP Asset as it's meant for games, Tier 2 is more for visualizations and is more expensive.

With Tier 1, you can set deferred updates per effect (reflections and gi at least have their own toggle for this) which should be faster. As a huge downside, you can't set the sample or bounce counts at all on Tier 1 raytracing (which seems frankly a silly limitation as it should be a dev option to still be able to tweak these).

Lex4art likes this.
  41. f1ac

f1ac

Are RT GI and SSAO meant to be used together, or does GI completely replace SSAO?

42. sqallpl

sqallpl

Good to hear that. Do you know what are the main differences between Tier2 and Tier1 that makes the Tier1 faster? Is it all about deferred updates?

BTW. Raytraced reflections are not working on Tier1 for me at the moment.

43. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

@sqallpl, no idea what's different on the tiers under the hood but RT reflections definitely work for me on both tiers.

44. sqallpl

sqallpl

Works for me too. I had them turned off globally before.

45. Lex4art

Lex4art

Ray traced AO is a subset of GI algorithm, so they're same and should not be used simultaneously. I didn't test this yet, but maybe ray traced AO can affect foliage assets while GI ignores everything with subsurface scattering and alpha-tested opacity. Soo... put all foliage assets to separate layer, make GI (through "Ray traced environment" settings) ignore foliage layer and make ray traced AO ignore every layer except one with foliage assets... this may bring some nice AO on foliage and don't mess with other objects in the scene with proper GI on them...

46. sqallpl

sqallpl

dxr00001.jpg

First image: GI + Reflections + AO (default values)
    Second image: GI + Reflections + AO (Ray Lenght 50)

I don't know why but on the first image, with default settings, ambient light is occluded in the corridor, but only to some degree and won't go down to pitch black.

On the second image it gradually goes to pitch black, but to achieve this effect I have to raise the AO ray length very high, which is probably not a correct way to use it.

It works same for places that are completely closed/occluded. For example, a room build from six walls, without any windows/doors/holes still gets the 'minimum' and probably flat amount of ambient light. Only way that I've found to make it pitch black is to raise the AO component ray length.

Looks like there is some base value of ambient light that is used by GI so pixels that are not receiving any light (physically) after raycasting calculations still use this value. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how it looks at front end at the moment.

Lex4art likes this.
  47. Lex4art

Lex4art

+1 here, I did a closed space test and there was no complete darkness with GI-only lighting no matter the Ray Length distance I've used... weird.

sqallpl likes this.
  48. copperrobot

copperrobot

I managed to get the Unity Beta version working fine. Below runs fairly well, using Reflections (you can see the sphere's and floors reflecting) and GI+AO.

I've not yet seen emissive textures light anything.... anyone know how to get that working?

Also reflections will not reflect shadows created by rectangle lights.

ahonformative likes this.
  49. copperrobot

copperrobot

Is that emissive textures? If so how did you get that working?

50. elbows

elbows

I was messing around with seeing how GI was working by trying a scene lit only with an emissive material just over a week ago. I stumbled around for a while till I managed to kill off the ambient light from the sky, since I didnt want that stuff to get in the way. Perhaps you havent done this? I'm not the right person to provide instructions for this right now, although I will attempt to later on if nobody else has and you havent got it figured out yourself.

I didnt post a screenshot at the time because it isnt pretty (it wasnt supposed to be), but I suppose I will now since various forms of this topic are in the active conversation right now.

GiLighting.PNG