Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Cloud Computing / Teamviewer alike solution

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by JPFerreiraVB, Mar 7, 2018.

1. JPFerreiraVB

JPFerreiraVB

Hi.
    I have a, not so usual problem/feature, i would like to have or to at least know if it is possible to implement.

I want to have a powerfull machine that runs multiple instances of my unity project, and to be able to render those instances on different "clients". BUT the client have little processing and rendering capacity.
    So my analogy to the teamviewer. I want the exact same solution, but all inside of a unity project.
    Similar to unity networking, but instead of having two projects with the same assets, i would have a server with all my game objects/scripts/logic and a client that is just rendering the scene and sending input events. Like a cloud gaming system.

Any ideas, guidance on this issue?
    Best regards.

2. TwoTen

TwoTen

No shortcuts afaik. Stream the screen server to client and input client to server.

As for if it's the best approach. I doubt it. It's dirty and won't give you very good quality.

3. Ellernate

Ellernate

So like OnLive and Playstation Now?

Keep in mind cloud gaming is a huge task and even the best networking teams struggle dealing with the obvious issues like latency. However, the "simple" way to do this with unity is to listen to inputs from the client and play them out on the server. Save the camera's view to a RenderTexture, grab the bytes from that and then send it back to the client. This is an expensive process and will take a lot of optimizations, but that's the gist.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Note that the Unity license specifically prohibits use in this fashion for any build you would distribute to anyone, even for non-commercial purposes, unless you get a separate cloud license from Unity.

https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/software

5. catsdogslover3

catsdogslover3

Hello. I read a lot about cloud computing on the blog https://pro4people.com/blog/ and we are considering to implement some solutions based on amazon web service. Is there anyone here who works with this system and could share his opinion?