Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Official Unity 6 Preview is now available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by TreyK-47, Apr 16, 2024.

1. PapayaLimon

PapayaLimon

It is safe to change to unity 6? Or this will have the new revenue fee? I'm a little scared that they want to get back to the download fee for just demos and simple stuff.

2. MiTschMR

MiTschMR

3. BTStone

BTStone

Just for the record, when Unity 6 (not Unity 6 Preview) will release, the next Unity version will be Unity 7 Beta, right?

WolveX likes this.
  4. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

By the current plan, it'd be the next version, but I'd expext that version to come out before the full release of #6.

5. detzt

detzt

Back to giving feedback for the Unity 6 Preview: The new create menu is great. It's better organized and easier to read and find your way around in it. Having the three most used types as shorthands at the top is well thought out, but I am missing an easy access to creating variants. Right clicking onto a prefab or a material would ideally have "create prefab variant" or "create material variant" as a shorthand at the top.

spiney199 likes this.
  6. rockin

rockin

Hmm, the blog post announcing Inity 6 Preview seems to state otherwise, or am I reading it wrong?

7. Spy-Master

Spy-Master

You're reading it wrong. It applies once you update to the general availability releases that are not marked as preview. Keeping a project on a preview release would mean the fee doesn't come into play.

8. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Yes agreed, and also the button next to it does not even have the same height as the rest of the buttons( version control)

Edy likes this.
  9. sylvansart

sylvansart

That's amazing

10. detzt

detzt

I like the new build profiles! And also the idea behind the Player Settings Overrides in them, but not the way it is implemented. Instead of copying the entire player settings and storing it in some string based format in the profile, I would have expected something similar to the overrides in prefab variants.

An issue arises when I have player settings overrides in the build profiles and then make a completely unrelated change in the Player Settings. I then have to remember to go through all build profiles and make the same change in each of them as well.

joan_stark and JesOb like this.
  11. Kabinet13

Kabinet13

Just something I noticed, the 6000.0.1 changelog doesn't appear to have any changes listed, despite their inclusion in the release. (aka there isn't a section for features or improvements/ bugfixes) I assume this is an oversight and I thought I might mention it.

12. bugfinders

bugfinders

Um, the very link of release notes https://unity.com/releases/editor/whats-new/6000.0.0#release-notes has changes for 6000.0.0f1

13. MiTschMR

MiTschMR

14. bugfinders

bugfinders

15. eiwzkart

eiwzkart

Yea, In 6000.0.1f1 , there is no changes from 6000.0.0f1

16. SunSailor

SunSailor

Am I the only one, who experiences extremly bad system stability, if Unity 6 is running? I'm working all day long with 2022 for my paid jhob no issues in this direction, but when I start Unity 6 and the computer was in suspended mode afterwards, almost guaranteed after some time the screen goes black, all vents speed up and the computer starts new. Really anoying. I have this effect since the very first preview version of Unity 6 I tested and with the latest release, it is still not gone.

17. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

That'll be a hardware stability issue most likely. Unity won't make your whole system "unstable". I'd recommend running some stability checks for GPU, CPU and Memory; plenty around.

DragonCoder likes this.
  18. runner78

runner78

Maybe the known problem with the Intel 13th Gen and 14th Gen Core K-Series CPUs, if you have on of them.

Spy-Master likes this.
  19. bugfinders

bugfinders

my 14th gen is doing just fine

20. runner78

runner78

If you don't know: The instabilities only occur in certain scenarios, e.g. often in unreal 5 games, I know from someone who had the problem, not only in games but also with other programs.
    You should try to change the settings in the BIOS and see if it will still come to crash, so you can exclude this as a problem. The problems come from too aggressive settings of the motherboard manufacturers.

21. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

When I create a Windows Standalone player of my game using Unity version 6000.0.2f1, the game window does not open. However, the .exe file is listed in the Background Processes section of the Windows Task Manager. The Player.log does not provide any helpful information and no errors are displayed.

This issue did not occur with previous versions of Unity and was also not present in the Unity 6000 beta version. I have reported this problem with bug-report
    IN-76529
    and would appreciate if you could investigate this problem.

22. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Could it be https://forum.unity.com/threads/bui...ing-from-unity-2022-3lts-to-unity-6.1589163/?

Peter77 likes this.
  23. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

24. SunSailor

SunSailor

Actually - it does. I'm aware that it is a side effect with a driver, my guess would be the NVidia driver, which is regulary updated on the other hand - but it really only happens if Unity 6 is open and the system went into suspension. With the current 2022.3.27f1 I can do this all day and all week long, having plenty of 2D and 3D software open. But as soon as one of the Unity 6 projects was open, the comuter randomly crashes within one or a few hours. It is at least that reproducable.
    And sorry - saying Unity wouldn't be able to make the system instable - I know enough about low level programming with system drivers, as I have to strongly disaggree here ;). That is, like every machinery is a smoke generator if used appropiately wrong.

25. stigmamax

stigmamax

can I test this version with my 2022.3.15 project or do I have to wait for a real version?

26. bugfinders

bugfinders

You are your own man.. you dont need permission

sergiusz308, BTStone and stigmamax like this.
  27. joan_stark

joan_stark

test it but with version control, then no problems can happen :)

28. stigmamax

stigmamax

I tested on another PC and the only error I have is that I can no longer install TextMeshPro

29. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

My experience with 6: installed 6000.0.0f1, upgraded project, lost all references to the custom components in the inspector, filled bug, uninstalled.

Cool, I'm contributing!

30. stigmamax

stigmamax

the game runs well despite some non-blocking errors. But I'll let the users wipe the plaster. I will use the stable version later.

31. sevengiants

sevengiants

In Unity 6 preview 6000.0.3f1, if you add trees to the terrain and bake Reflection Probe, the editor crashes.

upload_2024-5-29_16-20-31.png

32. VentaGames

VentaGames

More issues were found starting from 6.0.3f1 on MacOs (Silicon, Somnia)
    If I click on some objects in the scene, they're not selected, instead editor selects the parent object or even the root object. This is super annoying when you're in active-level design. But some objects are selected as expected.
    Next, when I upgrade my project from, let's say 6.0.2f1 to 3f1 or 4f1, the first build happens without a small build progress popup, plus the Unity badge also doesn't indicate the build progress. I can see the only rainbow spinner. So I have no idea if it freezes or doing something. The build process itself happens normally, if I wait for 10-20 minutes, it finishes successfully. For the next builds, the progress popup appears as expected as well as the Unity progress badge.
    In general, this small progress bar now appears with some delay. For example, when you switch back from the code editing, the process starts, but the progress bar appears with a delay of up to 3-5 seconds. The same when you import some assets and so on.

33. Nikita500

Nikita500

please dont let include splash screen in build/ its inside even if turned off in settings. its in resourse folder or something and always auto include in build. as i know its final size after compress is 0.3 . but anyway

Attached Files:

34. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

You need to disable the Show Unity Logo option. Disabling Show Splash Screen is not enough because we have a public API to draw the splash screen outside of that option.

adamgolden likes this.
  35. Nikita500

Nikita500

ty this helped :)

adamgolden and karl_jones like this.