Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity 6 Preview is now available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by TreyK-47, Apr 16, 2024.

1. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

upload_2024-4-24_10-23-44.jpeg

Our latest release of the Unity Editor, Unity 6 Preview, is now available on the download page and in the Unity Hub.

Curious about what’s new in Unity 6 Preview? Check out our blog post & release notes, as well as the Unity Documentation, to learn what’s included in the release.

Unsure how to go about upgrading? Check out the upgrade guides to help you go from previous Unity releases to Unity 6 Preview. For complex productions with a high number of dependencies, find out how our Success Plans can ensure the upgrade process goes smoothly.

Please remember that with Preview releases you’re trying out the newest features & tools to help us shape Unity’s development, so make sure to back up your projects before opening them in a new version of Unity. Preview releases, just like Tech releases of the past, are not recommended for projects in production or close to release. For these projects, we recommend our latest LTS release. If you encounter any issues, please let us know by submitting a bug report so it can reach our developers.

If you have any questions or feedback related to Unity 6 Preview, please feel free to share them in this thread and we will do our best to address them.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
  2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

It was said Unity 6 Preview will be released in "May".

Today is May 1st. :eek:

That's a new record in timeliness. :cool:

3. sathya

sathya

Can we remove splash screen in this version?

4. Hipernt

Hipernt

is Optional Splash Screen Available now?

joan_stark likes this.
  5. joan_stark

joan_stark

6. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

As @joan_stark shared, that has indeed been added.

joan_stark likes this.
  7. bugfinders

bugfinders

And proof its working may those who need it, rejoice

upload_2024-5-1_18-51-15.png

AlgorithmicKing likes this.
  8. LaneFox

LaneFox

Hey look at this bad boy runtime fee estimator they served up as well, here to simplify everyone's lives.

I'm pretty stoked to take a whirl at the new graphics features, maybe in a couple of weeks. GPU Resident Drawer + GPU Occlusion Culling + STP looks really powerful.

The Multiplayer TLC stuff looks exciting as well, although I doubt I'd use it.

Overall pretty exciting stuff!

9. UnityMrAndyPuppy

UnityMrAndyPuppy

Unity Technologies

And to clarify, Unity 6 Preview is not included in runtime fee calculations.

PaulMDev, Thaina, JesOb and 3 others like this.
  10. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Wow, now they get brownie-points to completely screw everyone and then making a visualizer for it... neat sycophancy.

rawna likes this.
  11. hibbygames

hibbygames

Faster URP sounds nice

andreiagmu likes this.
  12. LaneFox

LaneFox

When you used the tool, what did it say you should expect your company to owe, based on your revenue and engagements?

13. Gasimo

Gasimo

If I understand it right, as it stands right now you will never pay more than 2.5% of monthly revenue.

"If your game crosses both thresholds, you will be charged whichever amount is lower:
    - 2.5% of your game’s monthly gross revenue, OR
    - The Runtime Fee based on monthly initial engagements."

The only worrying thing on the Runtime fee (for me) is
    A: The means of what (invasive) tracking may Unity bundle into the engine to enforce this (and the detection of pirated copies etc), unless this all is self-reported.
    B: Unity having the ability to alter the license anytime in the next major version.

andreiagmu likes this.
  14. TwiiK

TwiiK

Well, if that's all you're worrying about it should be easy to soothe:

A) They don't, because it's self-reported, ref. https://unity.com/pricing-updates
    B) So does every company anywhere.

15. Gasimo

Gasimo

With B its about the track report. I think it was late Riccitiello years that they tried to make the license affect already released versions and silently changed the license on github so that it reads that too without telling anyone.
    As for A, there have been worries when the whole Runtime Fee started and Unity claimed they will "keep track" of users themselves with tracking. The ironsource merger def. didnt help public image haha

andreiagmu likes this.
  16. Prodigga

Prodigga

Looks great!

Will the foveated rendering API be available to use on mobile devices without a VR headset? IE just a regular mobile game where I want to boost rendering performance at the cost of blurry screen edges?

andreiagmu and adamgolden like this.
  17. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

They never ever mentioned tracking. That was the headless hens panicking who made that up.
    Unity only made the mistake of not explaining how they'd do it.

christh and andreiagmu like this.
  18. sacb0y

sacb0y

The thing is rolling that back is probably why 2022 doesn't have the option to remove the logo.

At the end of the day the whole RTF thing exists as a solution to punish people who don't play by the rules they've always had and avoided getting pro when they were supposed to with no real consequences.

But real talk you shouldn't trust companies anyway.

andreiagmu likes this.
  19. eiwzkart

eiwzkart

Glad le splash screen made with Unity is removed

Last edited: May 2, 2024
  20. qmqz

qmqz

genuinely impressive release. job well done to everyone who worked hard on this.

21. AlgorithmicKing

AlgorithmicKing

Baldrekr likes this.
  22. AlgorithmicKing

AlgorithmicKing

thank god

23. Christopher412

Christopher412

I don't see 2023.2.* in Unity Hub since 6 was released. Was 2023.2.20f the last release that's going to happen there?

24. bugfinders

bugfinders

Id expect so, as its not LTS

25. Edy

Edy

Soooo.... still we can't use several SRP in a single project without having to duplicate everything for each RP?

laurentlavigne likes this.
  26. Edy

Edy

Oh, and no Block Shaders either :(

cecarlsen and laurentlavigne like this.
  27. Trindenberg

Trindenberg

First time on Unity in a while, decided to finally learn DOTS + Unity 6. So far so good, although dual Authoring/Runtime inspectors doesnt seem to work. Otherwise, everything seems to be smooth and snappy.

28. LaneFox

LaneFox

Is there a use case for this other than UAS Publishing for multiple RPs?

29. Edy

Edy

Building the same game for different platforms!

PC/Consoles with HDRP, mobile/web/Switch with URP, if you need a more precise example.

The new Build Profiles feature in U6 would have fit really really nice with multiple SRP coexistence :(

30. LaneFox

LaneFox

Ooo I never thought of that, pretty interesting idea.

31. madpolydev

madpolydev

Looks promising, for people complaining about runtime fees, it seems the fee will never exceed 2.5% of the monthly revenue of a company and if you dont want to deal with runtime fees, a flat 2.5% royalty is also possible (unreal takes 5%). I think so far its not too bad, if you re ever that lucky having to pay royalties to unity, 2.5% is not much especially since it comes with a threshold. I just hope unity will focus on the engine now and also work on more resources like from start to finish tutorials instead of everything pre done and they just show the systems off. I have had problems with getting similar APV results so I want to see if 6 fixes it now

I do believe unity should reduce the pro pricing per seat considerably now since they are charging more, albeit more passively.

Last edited: May 2, 2024
    Ghat-Smith and laurentlavigne like this.
  32. hurleybird

hurleybird

2023 LTS became Unity 6 which became... a tech preview and not anything at all like an LTS release? Do I have this right?

33. Spy-Master

Spy-Master

No. 2023.4 was to be the LTS branch and is equivalent to Unity 6. We haven’t seen releases equivalent to 2023.4 yet, we’ve been getting 2023.3. 2023.3 is a tech stream release and is equivalent to Unity 6 preview. 2023.4/Unity 6 is yet to come.
    https://blog.unity.com/engine-platform/2023-3-coming-april-2024-with-updates
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-6-new-naming-convention.1558592/
    upload_2024-5-2_19-55-45.png

34. PedroDuran

PedroDuran

Is there any chance to get an editor option to disable that "asset store" button if we want to? personally i find it very distracting, we already got an shorcut to asset store via Window > Asset Store. No need to re-implement the same funcionality on another button.

ggg.png

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  35. AlgorithmicKing

AlgorithmicKing

also, pretty huge improvement in getting into and out of the play mode without recompile. it would have taken me 1-2 minutes just to play and stop the game in the editor before.

christh and DragonCoder like this.
  36. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

But not all of them have shamelessly demonstrated their eagerness to do it.

37. Ryiah

Ryiah

Some companies have support for continuing to use the previous license agreement in their licenses as long as you don't need to download the newer software. Epic does this with Unreal Engine. You can't access certain services or download new copies but you can keep using the existing copy you have without accepting the new license.

38. AlgorithmicKing

AlgorithmicKing

any help here

39. hurleybird

hurleybird

Oh, that's very confusing, but thanks for making sense out of it for me.

40. bugfinders

bugfinders

If its any consolation ive been poking my sore point and trying to urp my game again since 6 came out, and im randomly getting errors such as
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Error building Player: Shader error in 'ProBuilder6/Standard Vertex Color': 'PBRDeferredFragment': cannot convert from 'struct v2f_surf' to 'struct SurfaceDescription' at /Users/Liz/Documents/Unity/DungeonDisasters/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.shadergraph/Editor/Generation/Targets/BuiltIn/Editor/ShaderGraph/Includes/PBRDeferredPass.hlsl(145) (on webgpu)
    or webgl, or, sometimes it will be my own really simple shader.. it seems to be happening to shaders upgraded from built in to urp, trying to make a small test case because my will to fight the bug system is sub zero

41. tomashined

tomashined

What is newer than Unity 6 Preview or Unity 6 Beta (v16)?

42. bugfinders

bugfinders

preview

43. Gasimo

Gasimo

44. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

That's completely false. Self report wasn't an option in the initial announcement. And even now if you don't self report, per terms of service they will use all other data available and make up a number estimate for you and charge based on that no matter if it's correct or not.

They could've also instantly say there will be no tracking and shut down the discourse, but they didn't even after multiple clarifications of the "plan" and only introduced more confusion. Let's not rewrite history. If the plan was to do self report from the very beginning, they would have said so. It's not hard to communicate that.

Last edited: May 3, 2024
    christh, IDGG73, Spy-Master and 3 others like this.
  45. jpons_unity

jpons_unity

I don't understand the new version number. I don't get why it is a "6". You changed to the standard system of mayor, minor and hotfixes, in the version number, being the first number the mayor, and instead of the "year", the real version of the product. But 6?
    In the old version system with the first number was tracked one of the most important things I use: the version of the gradle. It is the main headache when you compile for Android and I need to know in a very simple way with version of Gradle I am using. It is impossible the new version to be Unity 6. Google update gradle a lot. And the same happens with the other external tools. How will I easily know with version of external tools are you using, now? "Unity 6.0 will use gradle 8 and Unity 6.23 gradle 9"????

cecarlsen and Gasimo like this.
  46. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

The version is actually 6000.0.0f1 so semantic versioning still works as expected.

Spy-Master and bugfinders like this.
  47. Ryiah

Ryiah

Because we already had a Unity 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

We've always had that. Both for the original releases (eg 5.6.7) and the yearly releases (eg 2023.1.20).

DragonCoder and Spy-Master like this.
  48. R1PFake

R1PFake

Any news about the new C# runtime switch, I thought it would happen with Unity 6 but I didn't read anything about it in the blog post?

49. Spy-Master

Spy-Master

christh likes this.
  50. Edy

Edy

Actually that was a core feature of Unity in the pre-SRP era ("Author once, build many").

WolveX likes this.