Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity 6 New Naming Convention

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by TreyK-47, Mar 14, 2024.

1. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

Last November during our Unite 2023 Keynote, we announced that we were making changes to our release naming convention, and starting with our next release Unity 2023 LTS will become Unity 6.

Unity 6 is scheduled to launch later this year and will include all the features from Unity 6 Beta (2023.3.0b11), 2023.1, and 2023.2. Coming up this Spring is Unity 6 Preview, the new name for what was previously known as the 2023.3 Tech Stream.

What are the new names?

In case you missed it, last fall we announced that we were adding a third Tech Stream (2023.3) to deliver you more meaningful upgrades. Adding this extra Tech Stream allowed us to bring you some critical developments, particularly in the areas of graphic performance, artist workflows, platform integrations, and a more comprehensive integration of multiplayer options.

The term “Tech Stream” caused confusion amongst some users, particularly new creators. Moving to the new name of Unity 6 also allowed us to change our naming schemes for interim releases to better convey the purpose and intended usage of a particular release.

We will now publish three major types of release:

• Beta (i.e. Unity 6 Beta): These are publicly available releases of the Unity Engine containing an early look at new and changed features. As an industry standard, Beta indicates that these changes may be unpolished and have not gone through rigorous testing, and are not guaranteed of shipping in production.

Recommended for getting your hands on new features and playing around with them before they’re fully released. NOT recommended for production use.

• Preview (i.e. Unity 6 Preview): Previously known as a “Tech Stream”, Preview releases give you a headstart to using locked, production-supported features before full general availability. In some other software, this could be considered a “release candidate” but because we plan to spend months of more testing time, we went with the term Preview. We will NOT add any new features or make breaking changes following the release of the Preview.

Recommended for teams with long development cycles who intend to move to the latest generally available version of the Unity Engine. Recommended for production use, and will be supported until the full release.

• “Full release”: This is the “General Availability” release of the Unity Engine. It includes all features found in the Unity 6 Preview, along with fixes and updates from the additional stabilization and testing time.
      We will no longer add a suffix of LTS (Long Term Support) to the product name in favor of keeping it clean and simple. But it will receive the same level support you enjoy with our current LTS releases. So, when it is released later in 2024, the next release will simply be called Unity 6.

Recommended for all users of Unity.
    Unity 6 version numbering

We have started to implement the new name change along with the version numbering in the engine and ecosystem, starting with Unity 6 Beta. We will continue to roll out version numbering changes for Unity 6 Preview and Unity 6 launch as they release.

upload_2024-3-14_13-58-19.png
    * Where N is a placeholder for the build number.

Where are the changes visible?

Below are areas where you can expect to see the new technical version numbering for Unity 6 Beta.

Editor
    • Splashscreen: shows new Unity 6 branding, the new product name and the new product version.
    • Editor title bar: show the product name in addition to the product version.
      E.g. “... - Unity 6 Beta (6000.0.0b11)…
    • About window: shows both the new product name and new product version.
    HUB
    • Installs tab: items listed show the new product name as well as the product version. E.g. Unity 6 Beta / 6000.0.0b11.
    • Projects tab: versions under the Editor Version column have the new version.
      E.g. 6000.0.0b11. Similarly, the Editor Version shown in the New project window.
    Code / APIs
    • C# Version API: will return the new product version as is. E.g. “6000.0.0b11”

• C# Preprocessor symbols: updated for new product version. E.g. UNITY_6000, UNITY_6000_0, UNITY_6000_0_OR_NEWER
    • Shader preprocessor symbols: is updated for 6000.0.0 according to the following scheme:
      #define UNITY_VERSION major*10.000.000 + minor*10.000 + patch
      E.g.
      60.000.000 for 6000.0.0b11
      60.021.234 for 6000.2.1234f1
      However, note that at this time it is still clamped to 202329 for 2023.2.9 (as it has been throughout the 2023.3 beta).
    Release metadata / APIs
    • RSS feeds: existing RSS feeds show the new product versions. (e.g. 6000.0.0b11), but not the new product names.

• GraphQL release API: Nodes in queries `getUnityReleases ()’ can now include a productName, which will be populated accordingly with the new product name (e.g. Unity 6 Beta). The existing version attribute will be populated with the new product version (e.g. 6000.0.0b11).
    Web portals
    • Beta mini-site: now references the new product name and version number.
    • Unity download archive: no impact during beta, but will start showing a 6000.0 tab once Unity 6 Preview is released.
    • Issue Tracker: versions from 6000.0.0b11 will start showing, but 2023.3.0b1 to 2023.3.010 will remain. I.e. 6000.0.0b11 is a direct continuation of the same stream.
    Documentation:
    • Documentation for Unity 6 Beta is available at: https://docs.unity3d.com/6000.0/Documentation/Manual/index.html.
    • Additional support for "docs.unity3d.com/6/Documentation/Manual/index.html" will be added at a later date.
    • URLs pointing to "docs.unity3d.com/2023.3" will be redirected to "docs.unity3d.com/6000.0" automatically.
    • All mentions of 2023.3 within Unity documentation (including Package docs) will be updated with 6000.0 in phases in the coming weeks.
    • The label for Unity 6 used in the documentation version display and version switcher will refer to Unity 6 Beta, Unity 6 Beta (6000.0), or 6000.0, instead of 2023.3.

Note: Older Unity documentation sets such as Unity 2022.1, 2022.2 will not be updated to refer to Unity 6.

Stay informed on Unity 6

Unity 6 will deliver elevated graphical performance, accelerated multiplayer workflows, dynamic AI capabilities, and deeper support for the mobile Web and new XR platforms.

Make sure to sign up here to get alerted of the launch of Unity Preview, as well as the Unity 6 launch and more.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2024
  2. mgear

mgear

is this correct? both have same numbering..

how to determine (programmatically) if your version is tech stream or LTS?
    upload_2024-3-14_21-15-3.png

3. lord_ungrateful

lord_ungrateful

Out of curiosity, why 6000.0.X instead of something like 6.0.X?
    Could we expect that feature releases would follow the old Unity 5 scheme eg: 6.1, 6.2, etc?
    And if so, how would that be represented, 6000.1, 6000.2?

xCyborg and Gasimo like this.
  4. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

reelie, drawcode, Whatever560 and 9 others like this.
  5. lord_ungrateful

lord_ungrateful

Ah. Yes. I see now.

6. DevDunk

DevDunk

The sign up goes to the changelog of 2023.3.0b1, while we are already at 2023.3.0b10

Why isn't the latest version shown?

7. CarlosRincon

CarlosRincon

Unity Technologies

Thanks for flagging this, we will update. It should indeed really go to https://unity.com/releases/editor/beta, which will always show the latest beta.

DevDunk and UnityMrAndyPuppy like this.
  8. CarlosRincon

CarlosRincon

Unity Technologies

Hi, both have the same number format because they are the same stream, with the same set of features etc. Whilst historically we would have bumped the minor version at the transition to LTS, that bump wasn't semantically correct, strictly speaking.

The LTS assignation is therefore more a signal of hardening/stabilisation, but not one that implies any semantic changes.

That being said, you can determine whether a given build is a Beta, Tech or LTS from the release metadata you can get from the release API: https://services.docs.unity.com/release/v1/#tag/Release/operation/getUnityReleases

9. JiRo_Dev

JiRo_Dev

Will we have Unity 7 Beta before 2025? I'm interested in the major engine rework to implement CoreCLR instead of .Net Mono, I'm not seeing this change in Unity 6 so most likely Unity 7 Beta.

10. AlgorithmicKing

AlgorithmicKing

now that its unity 6 beta can i remove unity logo from the splash screen in the personal plan or free plan?

Gasimo and ProfPivec like this.
  11. XEDORA

XEDORA

Don't forget the elephant in the room. Will ✨Runtime Fee✨ be applied to Unity 6 beta and preview?

12. mgear

mgear

XEDORA likes this.
  13. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

But often we need to know this at compile time, hence the defines. Will there really be no define to differentiate between the different streams?

mgear likes this.
  14. mgear

mgear

same here, i have custom tools to find suitable versions,
    and this new system would require lots of useless web requests..(if that info is not available locally)

as a workaround, even simple "release.txt" file in unity editor folder would be fine..
    content: "LTS" (or something else),
    or in the unity.exe properties.

upload_2024-3-15_10-22-52.png

15. bugfinders

bugfinders

Not yet.

16. ProfPivec

ProfPivec

Are Unity reneging on their promise?

17. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It will probably happen the same time as the runtime fee, which is planned to go in effect with the actual non beta, non preview release of Unity 6, which is supposed to happen towards the end of the year.

18. bugfinders

bugfinders

Like @AcidArrow id guess not until it becomes the released version. TBH i didnt expect it to be v6 until .4 as they said something about an additional version this year i thought so.. So if anything this feels ahead of time, as i too thought v6 was scheduled at the end of the year. (Q4)

19. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

20. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Not engine code, it's user (game dev) code that'd need adaption. Especially some older assets from the store that do not get maintained, would have run into problems.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    joshcamas likes this.
  21. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Just take a look at the flipside. On the other hand, changing a fundamental piece of the compile process and risking to break almost every single Unity project on the planet just to rename the product?
    The risk is high, the result/advantage is questionable. It's all aesthetic, I'm glad they decided to go with this. I still think rebranding is silly to put it mildly and not necessary, but if needs to be, I'm glad they chose the slightly less intrusive way

22. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

The reason to go with "Unity [A small number]" isn't so much a rebranding for the typical reasons companies rebrand things.
    It's to be able to change the release cyclus of major versions. The year based number was quite strictly enforcing a yearly cycle.
    That yearly cycle was clearly becoming problematic, so this was a necessary change.

23. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

I mean yes, if you're so impotent that you can't finish a simple context menu in a year, then you need to try to conceal the fact that your development process and "resetting" your organization is a giant and utter train wreck.

If you call that "necessary", instead of "moving toward the least resistance", then you're right. I call it utter bull crap and very problematic.

LooperVFX and TieSKey like this.
  24. AlgorithmicKing

AlgorithmicKing

Attached Files:

25. Spy-Master

Spy-Master

Based on this language
    https://unity.com/pricing-updates
    and

(screenshot from post by Spiney)
    Sounds like it won't be available during beta and preview, since these are not LTS. So the table would look like this.
    upload_2024-3-15_21-41-18.png

CrandellWS, joshcamas and bugfinders like this.
  26. bugfinders

bugfinders

Its always been like that for us free users

27. Kory-therapy

Kory-therapy

I was wondering do you think we will get a new LTS build this week GDC 2024 like Unity 2022.4 I'm was hoping for LTS 2023 and 6 at the end of the year but I guess 2023 is 6

28. bugfinders

bugfinders

TBH I thought they were talking lts come the end of the year..

29. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

? 2022 is already in LTS. 2023 / 6 will be in LTS or "released" towards the end of the year.

30. xCyborg

xCyborg

I hope you stick to this new/old naming convention, hopefully lose the 000 for all but internal numbering and stick with 6.x.x for future versions.

31. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity's promise was that the splash screen would be removable with the release of the LTS. Unity 6's "preview" is not the LTS.

32. runner78

runner78

This probably won't happen for technical reasons, because 6 is smaller than 20xx. This can lead to problems wherever the major version numbers are compared or sorted.

DragonCoder likes this.
  33. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Exactly. It's common to compare against that number to allow for compatibility with different Unity versions.
    Using "6" while previously e.g. "2023" was used, will mean that the oldest possible code is suddenly selected...

34. Kory-therapy

Kory-therapy

Thanks for the reply I know we are on LTS 2022 I think like 2022.3 I was wondering if this week we will get LTS 2022.4 with some new features probably not but if anyone find the Roadmap to 2024 GDC please post video
    20240318_160723.jpg

35. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

You won't, there is no 2022.4 LTS. There will be a 2023.4 LTS renamed to Unity 6. And it will be around end of the year, according to Unity. The roadmap video will be posted some time after the end of GDC 2024 in a blog post. Also according to Unity.

36. MiTschMR

MiTschMR

The roadmap video is in fact already out:

DragonCoder and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  37. bugfinders

bugfinders

odd i thought the drawer / new culling thing was killed when they fired a guy and being replaced with some nivida thingy.. or did i have the wrong end of that stick

38. bugfinders

bugfinders

The fight to get a bug recognised no matter how basic and blatent it is is a sure up hill struggle..

Heres a good example

So, templates were encouraged at one point..

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-or-only-recognized-when-the-hub-is-restarted

apparently although hub wont see a new template without a complete restart... it seems apparently making templates is no longer supported (btw thanks unity for bothering to update jra with the fact you gave that the finger)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    reinfeldx likes this.
  39. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

In light of all this, when will the 2021 LTS support period end?
    I ask this because Unity promised to keep Unet servers running until the end of this LTS period.
    (Although they are down now...)

This affects live games...

40. Spy-Master

Spy-Master

https://unity.com/releases/editor/qa/lts-releases

41. xCyborg

xCyborg

Hence "...for all but internal numbering".

jobof18697 likes this.
  42. zezba9000

zezba9000

Couple things
    * What C# version will be supported in this version?
    * Beta, Preview, Release is kinda odd. Why not use (Alpha, Beta, RC and Release)
    * Hopefully you drop working on so many Unity version at once and just focus on what matter.
    * Also no reason to release every year, just release when ready
    * Also so odd to use 6000 just to hack sorting in lists. Almost just sad doing this.

zafery likes this.
  43. Spy-Master

Spy-Master

The releases up to now have been C# 9. We probably won't suddenly see scripting updates until the point where they try shipping stuff like the CoreCLR runtime for players, or the next round of betas. Probably better to ask for an update in the 6 beta forum than in an announcement about a new naming convention.

They already do that. You don't see major feature work going on in LTS 2022 while 6 Beta is in progress. Having bugfixes on older versions is important as well, you'd probably want a decently long support period for something you build a game on.

If you can rework how numbers work so 6 > 2022, congrats

DragonCoder likes this.
  44. zezba9000

zezba9000

Well you can rework "6 > 2022" etc as being higher with not using the name as the sorting value.
    C# this is easy and I'm sure is the case with JS. But I understand this could be annoying. Still an odd choice given other options. Will be interesting to see what happens when CoreCLR is ready.

45. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Why is this problem so hard to understand?..
    We are not talking about NEW code that may use the version variable and thus you'd have the freedom to handle it differently. The problem lies in old code!
    There are thousands of assets in the Asset Store and surely also quite some unpublished studio assets from the past that make use of the version variable to determine which compatible code to compile with. That would then try to compile with code either for Unity 5 or 2017 if they went with a value of "6".

I do not see any more convenient alternative to what they have done.

46. raincole

raincole

There wouldn't be a problem if they just kept calling it Unity 2023, 2024, etc. But Untiy loves to make trouble for the users and itself.

Anyway there are a lot of big words. More shiny things. We got it.

How about really basic features like creating animation clip at runtime? How about some love to "abandoned" packages like PlayableGraphVisualizer?

I don't know why they care AI content generation so much (well I know, because that keeps stock price afloat. I mean besides that). They just need to keep making Unity editor fast and extensible. When the technology is ready the third party AI tool developers will swarm to Asset Store.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
  47. bugfinders

bugfinders

cos AI is the current buzzcrap of the year...

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  48. zezba9000

zezba9000

I can't wait when they go back to years and then we have to call it 72027!!!
    Sometimes simple hacks eat you later. But its fine, again I think the choice is silly given other options but its not going to effect ppl much. Just talking.

Looks like Unity 6 bumps macOS from 10.x to 11.x. Just made me think of asking if OpenGL support on macOS is being dropped?

WolveX likes this.
  49. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

What are those other options?

50. zezba9000

zezba9000

I already posted it above.

raincole likes this.