Search Unity

Official Unity 2020.1 Is Now Available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Jul 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Download & Release Notes | Blog Post | Docs

Unity 2020.1 is now available as the latest TECH version on the download page and in the Unity Hub.

Read the blog post for an overview over the biggest changes or visit our 2020.1 landing pages for more details:

2020.1 landing page

Remember to back up your projects before opening them in a new version of Unity. If you encounter any issues, please let us know by submitting a bug report so it can reach our developers.

If you have any questions related to 2020.1, please feel free to ask them in this thread and we will do our best to follow up on them. This thread will remain open for questions until August 21.

Grizmu, John3D, _met44 and 10 others like this.
  2. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Congratulations with the release!

I would like to ask for a Mac native title bar option. in 2020 the title bar changes depending on the light or dark theme.
    I'm using the light theme and the title bars is now a different grey color that does not follow the OSX UI standard.

I can understand why it happened, but please make it optional. I prefer to have the light theme with OS native title bars ( in my case black )

OSX Native:

Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 15.12.54.png
    UNITY Colors:

Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 15.16.30.png

Attached Files:

3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Where can I find the "Display Stats" window?

upload_2020-7-23_15-26-12.png

AskCarol likes this.
  4. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Where is ECS? I thought it would leave preview status in this version?

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

noyogiisMYusername and AskCarol like this.
  6. shmafoo

shmafoo

There was an update to the Jobs system somehow between 2020.1.0b16 and 2020.1.0f1 which deprecated
    WithDeallocateOnJobCompletion
    . Now there's
    WithDisposeOnCompletion
    instead.

However, using it throws Invalid IL Code exceptions like this:
    InvalidProgramException: Invalid IL code in Somenamespace.Somesystem/Somenamespace.<>c__DisplayClass_SomeJobName:RunWithoutJobSystem (void*): IL_0000: ldarg.1

As soon as I just remove WithDisposeOnCompletion, the error is gone. The error itself points strait to the line where I define the "Job.WithCode". In my case, what I want to dispose is just some EntityQuery.ToEntityArray with allocation type TempJob.

/edit: I know what's up: For some reason I had this in a job I used ".Run()" on which totally doesn't make sense. It works on scheduled jobs. However, this was working before but I guess this is a "fix" then?

/edit2: This actually happened in another Entities Package update. The weird thing is that I was using 0.11preview4 all the time and the package managed didn't show me any newer versions. However the version introducing it was actually released just some days after 11p4? What... also the documentation url com.unity.entities@latest was pointing to 11p4 until 2020.1 was released. Confusing stuff.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  7. andrew-lukasik

andrew-lukasik

Is it just me or all/most ecs-related packages disappeared from Package Manager window? I see them listed in json file still

deus0 and CaptainJeoy like this.
  8. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

9. chingwa

chingwa

Anyone else notice a pretty significant speed increase with 2020.1, at least as far as editor fps reporting is concerned? All the projects I've tested here have about a 10-20% boost. It seems particularly impactful on CPU processing, whereas the places where GPU was being challenged are still getting bogged down in a similar fashion in 2020.

I also noticed that setting the vSync count doesn't seem to have any effect. Frames are not getting locked to 30, or 60, they are just full on as fast as possible.

LeonhardP likes this.
  10. sectors-x

sectors-x

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

12. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

Might be because of code running in Release instead of Debug mode by default which should increase performance.

DebugMode.png
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.1/Documentation/Manual/ManagedCodeDebugging.html

Make sure that vsync is turned on in the game window resolution setting.

vsync Game Window.png

LeonhardP and chingwa like this.
  13. Kan15hkSMT

Kan15hkSMT

We tried to update our project to 2020.1.0f1 but we get "The type or namespace name 'TMPro' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?".

Could you please recommend how to fix this?

vertexx, AskCarol and firstuser like this.
  14. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks I didn't know about either of those new options. I still think vsync is bugged. Turning it on sets frames closer to 60, but not exact, and setting every other blank doesn't seem to do anything. The debug doesn't seem to affect performance (at least in my single test scene), but I'm happy to see any kind of performance boost in the editor.

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

Deinstall the package TextMeshPro and reinstall it, or update it to whatever version will fit your project.

AskCarol likes this.
  16. sebas77

sebas77

Possible bug:

WebGL 1.0 is called OpenGLES 2.0. I thought was a more serious bug until I tested.

upload_2020-7-24_9-4-48.png

17. Kan15hkSMT

Kan15hkSMT

We already tried that and no luck. We are already on the latest version on TextMeshPro.

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

Try older versions then. :)

AskCarol likes this.
  19. Rob-A

Rob-A

In this Editor Version there are missing packages not shown in the Package Explorer.
    Like for "Unity Physics" in my case. I even have it installed now but its still filtered out in the Registry view.
    This would block users to locate and install it via Package Manager.
    I had it uninstalled and could not find it. Its installed as a dependency to Havok physics now in my case.
    I think this is not intentional !?

Unity Registry View:
    upload_2020-7-24_10-51-13.png
    upload_2020-7-24_10-50-0.png

Packages in Project View:
    upload_2020-7-24_10-50-41.png
    upload_2020-7-24_10-50-54.png

20. shmafoo

shmafoo

Unfortunately, not a bug.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/visibility-changes-for-preview-packages-in-2020-1.910880/

21. SketchWork

SketchWork

Make sure you have TMPro v3.0 installed and have updated the Essential TMPro Resources from the Windows menu?

22. nongbenzgames

nongbenzgames

Build times are pretty insane now with uninformative progress bars. Normally a warm build would take less than a minute in 2019.4. Now 30+ minutes in 2020.1... "Application.Message" for ages (though it does eventually complete).

This must be a bug, right? :(

EDIT: Found the reason 2020.1 takes ages to build if you have a lot of files in StreamingAssets. Definitely a regression.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Wappenull likes this.
  23. Deleted User

Deleted User

About that, I use a line of code to check what key was pressed.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (Input.anyKeyDown)
    2.     Debug.Log(Input.inputString);
    When I press the A key,
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.A))
    doesn't react but
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Debug.Log(Input.inputString);
    returns "a".

When I press the Q key:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  Debug.Log(Input.inputString);
    returns "q" but
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.A))
    returns that the A key was pressed.

johnroodt likes this.
  24. John3D

John3D

Amazing! Thanks!

25. noyogiisMYusername

noyogiisMYusername

See here for more information

26. Yukken

Yukken

My webGL build gets stuck loading at 90% on itch.io after going to 2020.1. If I build and run from the editor it works perfectly. But the itch.io one doesn't load after I upload it.
    I am using linear colorspace with webGL 2.0 if it matters. Also heavily use shadergraph. I am not getting any errors during the build.
    The webGL build worked for 2019.1 with those settings.
    And course the desktop build works.
    I am at my wit's end.

27. Holasoydani

Holasoydani

where is IK manager 2d? i cant find it pls help :c

28. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

It'd be easier if you just create your own thread about this.
    2020.1 introduced a new template for WebGL if I recall correctly, if you have a custom template then that might already be an issue.
    I uploaded a Universal Render Pipeline build to itch.io. I didn't change anything of the default settings. It is already set to Linear color space and WebGL2. The only thing I ticked on was: "decompression fallback" and it loads just fine.
    Not all problems are caught by build errors. You should check the console if your game doesn't load.
    But please create your own thread post if continuing on this issue of yours.

Probably hidden just like the XR Interaction Toolkit. Open the package manager click on the + select from Git Url and fill in com.unity.2d.ik it'll add it, but it might be that they have hid it on purpose or it has not been verified yet for 2020.1.

LeonhardP and AskCarol like this.
  29. Yukken

Yukken

I tried again with compression turned off and it loaded. Might also work with decompression fallback have to check.

30. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

The animator won't show in the inspector. Does anyone else have this problem? (clicked on my blendtree and inspector stays empty)

31. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

What version of Unity and TMP are you upgrading from?

This issue can be related to the your script using Assembly Definitions where a reference to the TextMesh Pro assemblies is missing.

I have also seen this happen with some source control where the project solutions somehow are missing reference to the TMPro stuff.

Are you using Assembly Definitions for your scripts?

AskCarol likes this.
  32. docsavage

docsavage

Hi @LeonhardP, @Stephan_B,

2020.1 looking really nice. Been playing around with it and it seems to have some serious speed increases over 2019 in some of my test projects.

There is one major think missing (or hidden) though!!!! The package manager system for showing updates to bought assets is a nightmare for those of us with more than 50 assets. There needs to be a filter added for recently updated assets.

If there is one already present I have no idea where it is.

Thanks

LeonhardP likes this.
  33. Deleted User

Deleted User

The "Sort" drop down menu...

LeonhardP and AskCarol like this.
  34. docsavage

docsavage

Brilliant. I looked everywhere except there. Trying to do too much and meeting myself coming back!

Thanks @APSchmidt

35. Lionious

Lionious

Is asset store coming back? i read 2020.1 onward or something? But 2020.1f asset store still closed.

36. docsavage

docsavage

It looks like it's online only from now on. Meant to speed up the editor.

37. Jacksendary

Jacksendary

I think I've found a sort of severe bug or at least a feature which may accidentally have been removed since the 2019 version; In 2019 I were able to assign scriptableobjects which were inherited from a generic class in the editor, but ever since updating to 2020 im no longer able to do this, if they're assign in 2019 it seems to work fine in 2020, but I can't seem to change the reference; please refer to my post here as it describe everything in fine detail: https://forum.unity.com/threads/can...in-inspector-after-updating-to-2020-1.939266/

38. snacktime

snacktime

Wanted to add my voice and those I work with that we are not at all happy with the dumbing down of the package manager. Evidently we are all too dumb to be able to reason about should we or should we not install that shiny new package we discover.

So of course the obvious solution is remove discovery. If Unity tells us in a forum post that something is available then it's good, otherwise sorry it's above you.

This is just a huge slap in the face to everyone who has been using DOTS. Hundreds probably thousands of us have been using preview stuff for over 2 years now. And now you treat us like idiots?

Furthermore if you don't want people using some package, then for the love of god just don't put it out there. But if you do you should be prepared to support it. At the level it was designed for of course but support it nonetheless. What you are effectively doing is just making it easier for your developers to get lazy. Guess what DOTS package was the most F***ed up in this release? Animation. And how? Broken dependencies. Really basic S*** that should never have gotten through. And it did because hey it's early preview who cares. Now that paradigm is just going to get worse not better because you have baked in one more reason why people shouldn't be using preview packages.

pm007 likes this.
  39. smallbit

smallbit

[BUG] I guess the focused inspector doesn't work as intended on macOS, whenever I click back on the main unity window, all focused inspector windows disappear (they go behind the main window), I cannot find a way to pin them to be always on top, as i presume this is the desired behavior

40. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Unity Technologies would like to get a bug report as mentioned in the first post of this thread:

41. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

I've forwarded the feedback to the team. They say they will keep the request to add an option for this in mind, however the way it works in 2020.1 is intentional and the macOS guidelines allow for title bar theming to your UI's theme.

Thats a HDRP only feature, not available in URP yet, https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...@7.1/manual/Render-Pipeline-Debug-Window.html

42. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

The fix for the first issue will land in 2020.1.1f1

A second bug with the spacebar not being recognized has just been fixed in 2020.2 and the fix will most likely also make it back to 2019.4 and 2020.1.

The layout issue is still being investigated.

Deleted User likes this.
  43. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for the good news! "[Linux] Default shortcuts for different keyboard locations are physical location-based, not letter-based", that's what it's called? No wonder, QA team never understand my bug reports... :D

Thanks again! I guess it will be fixed in 0a19? I don't remember seeing this in 2019.4...

All right, I hope they'll find a fix very soon. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2020
  44. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks, I know its intentional, but I just don't think it works well for me, There is a lack of contrast between a title bar and the window content, It may be better on the dark theme, but I'm using the light theme.

Would love if there was an option to choose the title bar style , thanks for forwarding it.

LeonhardP likes this.
  45. VRKid

VRKid

has the skinning issue been fixed in this release?

46. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The default version of the TMP package for 2020.1 has just been updated to version 3.0.1.

This change will be in the next release of 2020.1.

Deleted User likes this.
  47. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

What skinning issue? Do you know the bug report Case number?

48. nongbenzgames

nongbenzgames

To revise my issue before, 2020.1 build times blow up if you have many files in StreamingAssets. Zipping them all into one fixes the issue so it's file count not size. Regression from 2019.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  49. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

This sounds like an instance of this regression: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1260359/

The fix is coming in 2020.1.1

firstuser and nongbenzgames like this.
  50. Deleted User

Deleted User

Installing 2020.2.0a19 right now...

Second bug with the spacebar not being recognized is not fixed in 0a19... :mad:

Code used:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. public class Test : MonoBehaviour
    4. {
    5.     // Start is called before the first frame update
    6.     private void Start()
    7.     {
    8.         Debug.Log("Hellow World!");
    9.     }
    11.     // Update is called once per frame
    12.     private void Update()
    13.     {
    14.         if (Input.anyKeyDown)
    15.             Debug.Log(Input.inputString);
    17.         if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Space))
    18.             Debug.Log("La barre d'espace a été pressée.");
    19.     }
    20. }

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.