Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2017.x beta testing thread

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by jmitcheson, Oct 5, 2017.

1. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

Hi,

There have been lots of new Unity releases lately and I wanted to potentially save some people some time by sharing my results of testing my Daydream app with various versions. I was primary focused on rendering time and any major bugs which will prevent Daydream app store acceptance.

The performance test scene was one of the large Synty packs. I can't include the project but this is the test scene I rendered:

Here is a quick summary. T

Average Camera.Render time on a Google Pixel - lower is better

Unity 5.6.1f1: 3.9ms
    Unity 2017.2f2: 1.89ms
    Unity 2017.3b3: 2.50ms

Daydream bugs

Unity 5.6.1f1 - 'Quit to home' issue (fixed now)
    Unity 2017.2f2 - controller issue, mesh baking bug, strange issues with box colliders
    Unity 2017.3b3 - controller issue, strange issues with box colliders

Conclusion: 2017.2 offers amazing render time performance but is not quite ready for production. Of course, no beta is officially 'ready for production' but the render performance is too good to pass up!

I am uploading a bug report now about the render time regression in 2017.3 with my example project and hopefully they can identify it.

Once the controller issue is fixed, I will submit my app to Google with a 2017.2 build and report back here.

Claytonious likes this.
  2. Claytonious

Claytonious

Thanks a ton for sharing your findings.

What were your render stats while getting these timings? (As in the render stats menu in the game view - how many triangles, draw calls, etc. was this scene)?

3. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

This is from my editor so disregard the timings, but it would be the same geometry stats. The overall low rendering time on the device is because I baked the whole scene with Mesh Baker

upload_2017-10-9_11-7-59.png

Claytonious likes this.
  4. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

Oh and if you want the script, I have attached it here. Put it under "Editor" and then Window > Profiler Data Exporter will bring up the panel. You need to have the profiler open and obviously have it filled up with the data you are interested in. The script will log the average over the samples in the profiler.

Attached Files:

Claytonious likes this.
  5. Claytonious

Claytonious

That's a *lot* of triangles but it's performing wonderfully on a Google Pixel - just goes to show that a low number of SetPass calls and batches is really the key as opposed to raw amount of geometry. Thanks so much for sharing!

6. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

No problem. Yes worth pointing out it's all one single material too, and I disabled the game objects once I had baked them because that saves culling time in the render loop (so one material, 18 game objects).

7. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

Thanks for doing this. I was using 2017.1 for a Daydream game but noticed some FPS loss on 2017.2 and 2017.3, which has held me off on upgrading. I only tried those versions after reading about the Daydream performance improvements in the release notes. Thanks for putting up some real numbers with a reproducible example!

8. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

The performance in 2017.2/3 is a little complicated, I am finding. For example, rendering only the static background artwork is faster, however I am seeing much worse performance once I add dynamic skinned meshes. Overall, I am fastest on 5.6.1f1 :confused:

9. Dirly

Dirly

I cannot even get 2017.2 to launch my daydream app that was working in 5.6.3...

10. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

Mine took a lot of fiddling around, but everything that was an issue was logged in the editor console. If you have cleared all errors then perhaps backup and try the good old delete Library/Project settings trick and see if that changes something.