Search Unity

Daydream controller freezes after returning from Daydream Home

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by jmitcheson, Oct 5, 2017.

1. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

Hi,

I have noticed an issue in 2017.2 and 2017.3. The issue is that if you exit to Daydream Home, and then return back to the app, the controller stops responding.

I have submitted a bug report to Unity, who say:

"So this bug seems to be caused by google's code base. Issue is already in their database under review."

However I can't seem to find anything in the github issues list, and the Unity staff member didn't include any other information.

Can someone from Google kindly advise when this issue might be fixed or if there is a C#-side workaround?

2. dsternfeld

dsternfeld

Official Google Employee

Hi,

Thanks! We are aware of the issue and are actively looking into it with Unity. Unfortunately, there is no C#-side workaround. For the time being, you'll have to stick to 2017.1 or earlier, or wait until a version of Unity is released that fixes the issue.

Thanks,

Dan

3. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

:eek::eek::eek:

I don't think I've ever awaited news on a bug more eagerly than I do this one.

Sorry to be a pain but is there any kind of public tracker, email list; anything?

When it is fixed, do you know if you have any influence over whether the fix can be a patch release into 2017.2? That would be the absolute best case scenario for Unity / Daydream developers with regards to publishing highly performant titles. The thing is that rendering performance regressed in 2017.3 and this issue appears to be the last/only thing that would prevent publishing from 2017.2

Thanks

4. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

The best I can tell you is we are targeting 2017.2.0p1 to have a resolution for this.

Claytonious likes this.
  5. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

@joejo - thank you. That's perfect.

6. Claytonious

Claytonious

@jmitcheson : What specifically are you referring to here? I've been fighting an uphill battle against a drop in FPS on 2017.3 but I was unaware that there was anything officially known about a regression in 2017.3. What have you found here?

Ah - you must be referring to https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-2017-x-beta-testing-thread.498785/. Got it.

7. Claytonious

Claytonious

Did this fix ever land? I just experienced the controller being unresponsive upon returning to the app from daydream home on a build from 2017.2f3.

8. dsternfeld

dsternfeld

Official Google Employee

The fix is still in flight. I will post an update here when it lands.

Thanks,

Dan

JaredJudd and Claytonious like this.
  9. Claytonious

Claytonious

10. AlexHolderDev

AlexHolderDev

Hi, this bug is preventing me from publishing to Daydream. Unity 2017.2.0f2 and GVR for Unity SDK 1.100.1 here. Can't downgrade Unity due to porting the game to Windows Mixed Reality at the same time. Keen for that update to fix it!

11. Claytonious

Claytonious

We're also standing by to submit the apk for this, too. It's the last blocker for release.

12. dsternfeld

dsternfeld

Official Google Employee

Thanks for letting us know that getting this fix out is important to all of you! It's coming soon.

-Dan

bpetersonvalorem and Claytonious like this.
  13. Claytonious

Claytonious

Sorry to be a pest, but @dsternfeld - even though I completely understand that you wouldn't want to give any hard commitment to a release date for this fix, can you please share any informal, unofficial projections about when you guys think this fix might land, and in which versions of Unity you will aim for applying it to? This would be very helpful for planning purposes for all of us - and we can use it simply for planning, not as a commitment to try to hold anyone to.

We've actually moved on to 2017.3b6 at this point (for other, unrelated, but also important reasons). I'm worried that whatever patch emerges here might not make it into 2017.3 for quite some time, which would be sad, but I would rather know as soon as possible so that if we have to go nuclear and downgrade our project or something like that, we can begin planning for it now.

Thanks!

14. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

The fix will be shipped for 2017.2 and later as the issue only happens there. Estimated releases are 2017.2.0p1 and 2017.3.0b7 but I can't guarantee that right now. Just keep on eye on release notes.

Claytonious likes this.
  15. Claytonious

Claytonious

I really do hear you saying "I can't guarantee that right now", but I'm so happy to read those words anyway. I hope it makes it into 2017.3b7. For now, I choose to believe! ;-) Thanks as always, @joejo - the value of the information that you share with us on these forums can't be overstated.

16. Claytonious

Claytonious

This appears to be fixed in 2017.3b7, based on a test that I just ran locally. I'll keep an eye out to see if it repros again later, but this is looking good!

17. davidcox70

davidcox70

Sadly not fixed here on 2017-3-b7. Clicking the home button in an otherwise working game takes the user to the Daydream home page, but on return, the Daydream controller is unresponsive to anything other than home-button presses. On some occasions, it doesn't appear at all. Also on some occasions, the controller works in scene 1 but is completely frozen in scene 2. This game was working in 2017-1.
    DC

18. bullardo

bullardo

Wish I found this earlier haha, been trying to figure out if this was just me.

19. Claytonious

Claytonious

I cannot reproduce this problem on a build from b8. Has anyone else tried yet on b8? I've been in and out of Daydream home 10 times in a row now, including switching scenes within the game, and the controller has been fine throughout.

20. bullardo

bullardo

patch is out for 2017.2, confirmed it fixes the issue.

dsternfeld likes this.
  21. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

dsternfeld likes this.
  22. bullardo

bullardo

haha, par for the course working on the bleeding edge in VR I guess. I remember the struggle was real in t he Dk1 days.

23. dsternfeld

dsternfeld

Official Google Employee

As has already been stated, the patch release that fixes this issue is now out!

24. Claytonious

Claytonious

Did that fix also make it into 2017.3b8?

25. AlreadyTaken

AlreadyTaken

@dsternfeld : which patch is it.. can't find it in the issue list of all avaiable 2017.2 patches.

26. AlreadyTaken

AlreadyTaken

2017.2.1p1 has this issue fixed!!

27. wfoxall

wfoxall

Does anyone know the exact point version when this first arose? Was it the first release of 2017.2?
    I'm working on a project for daydream and have already had to roll back from 2017.3 to 2017.2.0 due to the resonance audio bug introduced in 2017.2.1...
    So now I need to roll back to the latest version before this home button bug appeared.

28. Percy-Pea

Percy-Pea

2017.1 works with both resonance audio and the controller. We had to do the exact same thing due to resonance issues.

Annoyingly you will have to undo any of the auto script updates for VR to XR settings.

29. AlreadyTaken

AlreadyTaken

@wfoxall
    there is a resonance audio bug? :-( we don't have sounds yet so it was not on my radar. whats the bug about? Can you give me an issue number?

30. wfoxall

wfoxall

@AlreadyTaken Yup, it's #14.
    I lost all my audio when I deployed to android. Obviously worked a treat in the editor.
    There is dupe of that issue (#18) in which anokta suggests that a patch from Unity will be out very soon so depending on your project timescale, you might get the lucky fix before you start implementing audio.

@Percy-Pea. Thanks. I was pushed for time so used a workaround (just using Input.getbuttondown("Fire1")) in the end. But I'm going to start the next project on 2017.1 until a patch comes out.