Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[SOLVED] Unity 2017.2.1 unusable

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Nick72310, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Nick72310

Nick72310

I am having issues with Unity 2017.2.1 to the point where I cannot do anything with the program. It is extremely slow even with a brand new project file with nothing in it. It seems to be refreshing something every second (the cursors turns into a loading spinning wheel). I am running in Windows 10. I had no issues with Unity 4 or 5, with my same PC. In fact, it doesn't seem to be related to my PC performance at all, because I am able to do anything I want (other than in Unity) in lightning fast speed, even with Unity projects open.
    One thing I noticed is that I am continuously getting console warnings/errors, even when the game is not in play mode. I can't remember off the top of my head if this happens with previous versions or not. But I get the same message nearly every second. (The warning is because I have "OnLevelWasLoaded" in a script and it's becoming obsolete.) So, something is continuous running in the background with Unity 2017.2.1.

I originally upgraded from Unity 5 to 2017.2.1, and it automatically uninstalled 5 in the process... Once I ran Unity 2017.2.1, I was getting this problem. So, I uninstalled Unity all together, and did a fresh install, and the issue is still present.

Please help!
    Thanks in advance!

2. mgear

mgear

3. Nick72310

Nick72310

As I mentioned, even with a brand new empty project, I am still unable to do anything because it is so slow. (No console messages appear in a new project)

Light baking does not seem to be enabled.

4. D43DB33F

D43DB33F

I'm having the exact same problem after upgrading from 5.6.3 p2 to 2017.2 1f1. Unity is fully using one of my physical cores, causing permanent a 25% CPU usage, without any console message. Just like it was constantly recompiling scripts when coming back from Visual Studio. This is completely unusable.

It's frightening to see that this issue exists since 7 months and still exists today. What the F are they doing ? Talk about support... I should have stuck with the old version I had, or moved to unreal engine.

Nick72310 likes this.
  5. Nick72310

Nick72310

Yup, that's the same issue...

6. gesicht

gesicht

Same problem here, it's happening with every 2017 build I tried: 2017.1.2p4, 2017.3.0f2, as well as the one which is automatically downloaded. 2017.2.X? 5.6.4 runs fine on my computer, but in 2017 I instead get the lag every few seconds which makes it impossible to do anything (even on empty projects.)

It seems to be caused by 4 functions being called every few seconds:

CreateAndSetChildDomain, ModuleManager.InitializeModuleManager(), EditorAssemblies.ProcessInitializeOnLoadAttributes(), and UpdateSceneIfNeeded.

I wish I could fix this because I'd like to play with Cinemachine and enter the Neon Challenge, but I might be out of luck here. I've tried turning off antivirus, auto-refresh, updating my graphics drivers, turning off v-sync, but to no avail.

Is there somewhere specifically I should post my error for the devs to see it?

7. gesicht

gesicht

Here's a shot of the profiler with the children opened. Seems to be a GC problem.

8. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Oh wow, that is super weird. We call those functions when reloading scripts - such as after a compile, or when you're going into play mode. It's a pretty heavyweight thing to do - definitely not something that should be happening every few seconds.

I've pointed the scripting team at this thread. The rest of you who are having problems, could you also open up the profiler and see if you're seeing something similar?

9. Matt_at_mindtrigger

Matt_at_mindtrigger

Just add me to the list. I encountered this problem as well with my brand new HP Omen Gaming Notebook (Windows 10).

Every other second the cursor turns into the loading-circle and the unity-editor process uses a constant 13-33% of CPU power for something. Also when clicking a GameObject in the hierarchy it is selected with a 1-2 second delay each time. Had to uninstall and revert back to 5.

10. superpig

superpig

If you're seeing this kind of thing, could you please file a bug report, and post the case number here? Filing the report will cause Unity to send us your Editor.log file, which might shed some light on what is happening.

11. greg-harding

greg-harding

Similar stuff to https://forum.unity.com/threads/2017-2-0f3-editor-very-slow.500288/ that contains comments about generally terrible performance in the editor. In our case, we're seeing 14k+ gui update calls in frames while looking at empty scenes in empty projects.

Case# 978826 2017.2.x Editor poor performance on Mac.

Related to script compilation, we're also experiencing errors in batchmode builds where two commandline builds run immediately after each other are either succeeding or failing (without any project changes). Unity Analytics define is randomly missing in one, causing a failure. Could this be related to these script compilation problems?

Case# 979910 Unity Editor crashing on exit, batch mode broken.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  12. Nick72310

Nick72310

FYI, I just downloaded Unity 2017.3.0f3, and the issue is still present.

13. gesicht

gesicht

Huh, does seem like a weird bug. o_O Hopefully this will help then. My case number is 980308.

14. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

15. BlackPete

BlackPete

I wonder if this could be related to where the project files are stored?

Is it stored somewhere in %APPDATA%, or in some specifically named folder (like D:\Project\Blah)

16. ParacyteZero

ParacyteZero

Upgrading from 5.6.3 into any version of 2017 does this. I took this screen in Unity 2017.1.2f1. I'd love to open the children entries up but it just won't let me. They open for a second and close back up. Unity runs smooth for about a second then freezes up for about 15-20 seconds, runs for a second, freezes, etc.

I noticed if I sign out and restart Unity the problem goes away and all that. A temporary solution everyone here might want to try.

Edit - I'd like to point out I initially upgraded to 2017.3.0f3, then downgraded to 2017.1.2f1 and the problem persisted.

Attached Files:

17. superpig

superpig

We've confirmed that this is an issue when you've got a 5.x license on your machine and then move to 2017.x. It's an issue with our license server - we're fixing it ASAP, at which point the issue should just disappear for you, without you having to do anything.

I'll let you know once there's more news.

Thanks very much for the bug reports - once we saw the repeated license requests in the Editor.log file, it really helped us zero in on the source of the problem.

18. ViktorEvil

ViktorEvil

I have installed 2017 on a clean Mac and still get this issue so I don't believe its related to old 5.x license files being left on a machine

19. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

gesicht likes this.
  20. superpig

superpig

Could you please use the Help -> Report a Bug menu item to file a bug as well, so we can get your Editor.log file and hardware info? Post the bug number here once you've got it.

21. greg-harding

greg-harding

Is this related to the general 2017.2 (and now 2017.3) performance issues as well, like our example of 14k+ editor control id calls per frame moving around an empty scene stalling for seconds at a time?

JamesArndt likes this.
  22. ViktorEvil

ViktorEvil

just tried 2017.3 on a clean install of High Sierra on a MacBook Air and the lag issue is gone

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi Greg, Can you still repro this issue now?

Thanks.

Justin Zheng

24. greg-harding

greg-harding

Ooh, 2017.3.0f3 is currently not doing the 10's of thousands of EditorGUIUtility.HandleControlID() calls generating megs of garbage per frame that all of 2017.2 was doing for a few months and 2017.3.0f3 was doing the other day when I checked too.

If you didn't see the other thread or the Case# 980243, here's a typical profile of what I was seeing rotating the scene camera in an empty scene;

Unity_2017.3.0f3_editor_profiler_moving_scene_camera_in_empty_scene.png

Were you expecting your licensing fixes to affect stuff this?

Could this possibly affect batchmode builds as well? We've been having terrible trouble in 2017.2.1 with back to back batchmode builds randomly succeeding or failing (UNITY_ANALYTICS define disappears randomly from a build) - would licensing fixes possibly affect/help this? Case# 979910 (has editor logs from the builds).

JamesArndt likes this.