Search Unity

The state of Cluster Rendering

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by cecarlsen, Oct 2, 2017.

1. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

I am currently deep into a project that requires cluster rendering. 20 HD screens, in total 9600px across, driven by five slave machines.

Before starting the project I contacted Unity about the Cluster Rendering feature and got this response:
    Also the forum threads lead nowhere.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/cluster-rendering-with-unity.308883/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/cluster-rendering-setup-in-5-3-2.386269/#post-2721522

The Unity docs pretend that Cluster Rendering is great and all. But clearly it seems the feature is not taken seriously internally. I understand that it's a niche feature and that UT probably have more broad reaching features to take care of.

So why not let the community solve it?

What I (or any other Unity developer) needs from the Unity's API to achieve Cluster Rendering is:
    • Pause the Update loop and request Update calls on demand from a different thread.
    • Set Random and Time variables on demand.

For the project I am currently involved in, I have rolled my own solution using simple OSC messaging. It works for the purpose, but it's far from optimal.

Carl Emil

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  2. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

I'm surprised that they said they have a beta of cluster rendering themselves from the sounds of it? Looks like it's already further ahead than nested prefabs and a new terrain system, so I'd go with that.

3. cms

cms

Hello, well, we are desperately trying to get in contact with the person in Unity giving licences ? We would like to know if Unity is still working on it ...

4. cms

cms

Any news on this ? we need to use Cluster Rendering

5. shwhjw

shwhjw

MiddleVR might be worth looking into for you guys.

6. hunterua

hunterua

Looks like this feature has been dropped on recent versions of unity....at least I could not find anything about it on 2018 versions of unity....
    that's sad
    I've been looking into it to try it on very big amount of PC that driving 4K screens.....
    Wondering what is the current state of it now?
    It's abandoned ?

7. qwert024

qwert024

We want to use Cluster Rendering in our projects, too!

8. madleen_unity

madleen_unity

Unity Technologies

Cluster Rendering is currently not supported any more (it was supported until 2018.1 I believe).
    However, we are currently working on fixing the issues that have stopped it from being supported and are planning to reintroduce it again in later versions of Unity by the end of this year hopefully!

richardkettlewell and zyzyx like this.
  9. abenson_fts

abenson_fts

When it is reintroduced will it again be a separate product or will it be included in a Pro subscription?

10. L4Z3RC47

L4Z3RC47

I'm currently also looking into cluster rendering options. @madleen_unity any updates?

sean_virtualmarine likes this.
  11. cosmicelysium

cosmicelysium