Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Cluster rendering or nDisplay (Unreal Engine) equivalent?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Retrokat, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Retrokat

Retrokat

We're working on an interactive art installation that's 12 HD screens with one main processing computer with three nVidia Quadro P4000s and a sync card.

We're working at 7680x3240 pixels and getting a framerate of around 40fps with Kinect real-time interactivity. Have turned off nearly all post processing, using minimal lighting etc.

From what I've read on here, Unity used to support "cluster rendering" to multiple render nodes but old threads indicate it stopped working a few years ago and I didn't want to necro those. eg
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/the-state-of-cluster-rendering.498397/

Confusingly Unity is now using the term 'cluster rendering' for unrelated lighting architecture in the HDRP.

What we're after is an equivalent of this: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/Rendering/nDisplay

I really don't want to have to move to UE! Any ideas on if this can (now) be emulated in Unity?

2. echuang98

echuang98

I also want to know if clustering rendering is still supported. o_O

Retrokat and VJzoo like this.
  3. madleen_unity

madleen_unity

Unity Technologies

Cluster Rendering is currently not supported any more (it was supported until 2018.1 I believe).
    However, we are currently working on fixing the issues that have stopped it from being supported and are planning to reintroduce it again in later versions of Unity by the end of this year hopefully!

4. iaogiannakidis

iaogiannakidis

Hello,

any news on this? Is there a beta version we can apply to?
    Please @madleen_unity make an official update on this matter as it is quite important and critical to a lot of people working with clusters... With the alternative of nDisplay by Unreal, it becomes even more difficult to convince our stakeholders to stick with Unity.

Thanks,

Alex

sebastien-barry likes this.
  5. JakeTurner

JakeTurner

Unity Technologies

Sorry to say I don't have an answer to the question of whether the feature is supported.
    I am trying to find the answer.

6. Matjio

Matjio

Unity Technologies

Hello,

Here is an update.

Before 2020.1: Cluster Rendering has never been officially supported and only used by very few people. We have been fixing lately a few issues and regressions that we are landing in 2018.4 LTS and 2019.3, but this system will be deprecated as it each time requires core changes.
    -We are now working on getting this system outside of the core in order to offer more flexibility for users and faster turn around on our side. We are putting all efforts to release this new system for 2020.1.

For more information, please DM me.

Best,
    Mathieu (Technical Product Manager Film-TV)

7. Brainslum

Brainslum

What's the state on cluster rendering and will this come out in 2020.1?

8. Brainslum

Brainslum

I saw the roadmap highlighting this functionality at copenhagen.

Would love to hear official update on when we can use it

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello,

@Matjio You got any news on that ?
    I saw it was on improvements for 2020 alpha 7 and after no news, no doc, nothing :)

I dont' want to go to UE please give me some good news !

10. martinreimer

martinreimer

Trying to keep this discussion going. We are in need of this type of solution to support multiple screens with multiple computers. @Matjio What are the latest updates on this feature?

11. percramer

percramer

Any news on this?

12. pachermann

pachermann

we need this to, go unity go unity we love you!!!

sebastien-barry and dan_wipf like this.
  13. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

pachermann likes this.
  14. sebastien-barry

sebastien-barry

Hi, just some new about cluster rendering should be great. I don't want to leave Unity for Unreal. Unreal is more and more present for events, tv shows, VR AR and one of the reason is ndisplay. Please give us a roadmap for cluster rendering. It's not possible to work on professionnal projects without a release date for this functionnality. I sent multiple messages to Matijo, but no answer.

pachermann, joshcamas and dan_wipf like this.
  15. sebk99

sebk99

For those needing cluster rendering, MiddleVR for Unity is still the best option! We just released MiddleVR 2.0 and we will soon have support for HRDP, DirectX 12 and curved screens.

16. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

@Matjio @JakeTurner
    Well Unity 2020.1 is out now... but no cluster rendering in it, so whats going on?!

unityunity