Search Unity

[Released] uNode - Visual Scripting [Support C# Import/Export]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by wahid_rachmawan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. sledgeman

sledgeman

Great :cool:. Now i got the steps behind generating C#. Thx.

I was playing with "groupNodes". Like it to organize my canvas !!! But i don´t get it, how to use them proper way. Maybe you can show it in a gif seequence. This is what i got, not sure if this is a bug:
    uNODE_group.png

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  2. wahid_rachmawan

wahid_rachmawan

setupStartInGroupNode.gif

for the line inside a group its a bug this bug will fixed in next update and the dim bug inside group too.

another tips: when you are using flow node i recommended to make function for that so the c# output will be more good.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. sledgeman

sledgeman

Thanks. Got it working now ! :) ... and great if the bug, disappear in a next update.

FlowNode ? I am not that far with uNODE. But curious whatfor a "flowNode" is, in combination with a "function". If you got some time, maybe you can explain it. For now, i am happy with doing my groups, to categorize my canvas.

4. wahid_rachmawan

wahid_rachmawan

I have explain it in the documentation about flow node. using function will give advantage like: it will optimize the generated code and the output is more readable like its written by programmer itself.

5. sledgeman

sledgeman

Sounds crazy ! Can´t believe it :). I will take a look....thx

6. sledgeman

sledgeman

Is there any way, to get a node which has curve-floats ? This is super important, imho. Maybe you also have plans to integrate DOTween into uNODE ?

7. wahid_rachmawan

wahid_rachmawan

What you mean about node which has curve-floats?

uNode has dynamic node which can access every script/libraries in your project using reflection so every third party asset is supported out of the box, without us, them or you having to create an integration. If you have a assembly/libraries to integrate just make sure you have enable it in the preference.

8. sledgeman

sledgeman

This is what i mean (in this example its called "Anim Curve"):

A float value driven by a curve. This way you can do f.e. your own jump behaviours. Its quite handy to have a curve / node which drives the value. Its build in Unity itself, as i know.

DOTween for example can be integrated in Playmaker as a plugin. DOTween is a free library, i guess, i have to figure it out how it works with uNODE.

9. wahid_rachmawan

wahid_rachmawan

You can use AnimationCurve.Evaluate to get float value from AnimationCurve just like gif bellow:
    setupAnimationCurve.gif

Example to setup DOTween and using it to rotate a cube:
    setupDoTween.gif

if you have another problem let me know.

10. sledgeman

sledgeman

Great !!! This was exactly what i wanted ! Thx ! :)

EDIT:
    Hm, somehow i replicated your first example, but it doesn´t work. The red line should show a increasing value (also without a debug.node). But in my case it imidiantly shows "1". It doesn´t matter if i set a value of 1 or 4. Do you know whats wrong ?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  11. wahid_rachmawan

wahid_rachmawan

Are that happen when you edit it in play mode?
    if yes that is live editing bug, this bug has been fixed and the next update will be submitted this week.

12. sledgeman

sledgeman

Yep,
    it is in the play-mode. Because i need to see how the float changes. Good to know, that there will be a fix for that !

13. wahid_rachmawan

wahid_rachmawan

uNode v1.4.1 has been submitted for review!

changelog v1.4.1:
    -Added In Editor Documentation used to find xml documentation of member inside node and display it in inspector
    -Added double click on variable button to rename variable
    -Added double click on property button to rename property
    -Added CTRL + C shortcut to copy node
    -Added CTRL + V shortcut to paste node
    -Improved Editor
    -Improved uNode Editor Performance
    -Improved uNodePreference
    -Improved ItemSelector search filtering
    -Improved ItemSelector type/member filtering
    -Fixed CSharpGenerator error on generating for loop statement when the node generated from CSharpParser
    -Fixed CSharpParser error on parsing for loop statement
    -Fixed event line still show in another graph
    -Fixed node always dim inside group
    -Fixed some error when doing live editing
    -Fixed some GUI bugs.

Attached Files:

14. wahid_rachmawan

wahid_rachmawan

uNode v1.4.1 has been released on the Asset store.

15. RadioactiveBullfrog

RadioactiveBullfrog

Hello,

I purchased your asset last night and I loaded it into a perfectly working project. Immediately on import the console registered several red flags regarding my current project. I looked at the code and everything is fine and has been running just fine. Additionally, when I removed your asset everything went back to normal.

I emailed you and requested a refund, but I would like to try and resolve this issue so that I can use the asset in my project.

Below is a link to a screen shot of the console errors. I've tried this on Unity versions 2017.3.1 and 2017.4 with the exact same results.

https://gyazo.com/589b31fa2cb7d8325993d918fa8f11b7

If this cannot be resolved and the asset made usable I will have no choice but to reinstate my request for a refund. However, I would prefer to utilize this asset.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

16. wahid_rachmawan

wahid_rachmawan

Hi @RadioactiveBullfrog,

Thanks you for purchase my asset. It look like my examples conflict with your project, its easy to fix just remove "uNode/Examples" folder and all will be fine. The example aren't have the namespace so it can conflict with user project i plan to put the example online as soon when i have made 2nd example. I am sorry if you have such a problem

let me know if you have another problem.

Kind Regards.

RadioactiveBullfrog likes this.
  17. RadioactiveBullfrog

RadioactiveBullfrog

Your solution worked perfectly. Thank you so much and thank you for the very fast reply!

18. sledgeman

sledgeman

Very cool you´ve managed to make also a bunch of fixes, beside the addons / improvements !

Btw...the new AssetStore Pic looks really good.

It seems that the bug as described in post #61 is still there. AnimationCurve doesn´t update over time. It imidiantly jumps to value 1. :(

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  19. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

any videos or documentation you can share? looks interesting, but without videos, it's hard to tell.

20. sledgeman

sledgeman

The task is, as described in post #59 the 1st gif / pic. You can see that the value on the red spline is growing over time. This doesn´t work in the current version (value doesn´t grow. It jumps imidiantly to the new value 1 f.e.).

21. wahid_rachmawan

wahid_rachmawan

Right now i don't have any videos to show how it work only a documentation, video will be made soon for now i focusing on make online documentation.

In the gif above i increase the variable "time" with my mouse so you need a variable(float) and increase it over time.

Attached Files:

22. wahid_rachmawan

wahid_rachmawan

Here the prefab for how to get float from AnimationCurve:
    -Graph
    Screenshot (481).png

-C# output
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    5. public class AnimateFloat : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public float time = 0F;
    7.     public AnimationCurve anim = new AnimationCurve();
    9.     public void Update() {
    10.         time += Time.deltaTime;
    11.         Debug.Log(anim.Evaluate(time));
    12.     }
    13. }
    Edit: you need to reset time to 0 every time you want to animate a float, a state machine will give best solution for this.

Attached Files:

23. sledgeman

sledgeman

First of all: C# file works !

1.) If i drag your example (AnimateFloat.unitypackage) , the prefab into the scene the whole graph disappear (playmode). I have to click on class-function button "update" to see the graph again (playmode). This is .... irritating somehow ! Only when i copy your example-component onto an emptyObject the graph appear usualy (idle & playmode).

2.) After copying the example-component onto an emptyObject, and hit play, this strange things happen:
    uNODE_error.png
    Whats wrong here ?

24. sledgeman

sledgeman

Again, only in prefab mode:
    uNode_error2.png
    1.) i click on button "update" to see the graph
    2.) i hit play, the graph disappear, and the 1st error comes up
    3.) i click again onto the button "update" to see the graph, but no value-changes appears inside the graph. Only inside the inspector, i can see the the value is changing. This is irritating, if you don´t see any action inside the graph. It should looks like, in your #59 post !
    4.) i disable play-mode, and than the other 4x errors appears. Also ALL nodes gets compressed and their connection-lines disappear completly (guess its a graphics bug)

25. sledgeman

sledgeman

I have to say: the workflow like in post #59 looks far more simple & easy. Also more logical to me. No need of a delta.time node and a "set type" to "add", etc. The new workflow is too complicated.

My goal is:
    doing my own tween of a float value. Therefore a curve is needed to describe how fast / slow value-changes appears. It should happen in a range of f.e. 0-1. The value should raise from 0 to 1. But NOT linear, the value MUST raise the way the curve described it.

In your example the value is raising into infinity. For me it´s useles, because thefore i don´t need a curve !

And i don´t get the logic of the node "AnimatonCurve.Evaluate". You have a curve, that describes the value 0 to 1. And you have a float that describes the "time". I my opinion it should works this way: with your defined "time"-value the "curve"-value should raise 0 to 1. So if i define time "10" the value 0 to 1 should raise slowly. If i define time "2" it should raise pretty fast. Also if the initial value of "time" is set f.e. to "3" , why do i need to reset the value every time to "0". Doesn´t make sense somehow. In my opinion the node should output directly the "curve"-value (range) to debug-node or to your transformObject node etc.

26. wahid_rachmawan

wahid_rachmawan

1.) i still fixing this bug, this bug will be fixed in next update.

2.) i have try to delete my prefab and import with i upload above and i not find any error, i look into image you sent above look like you have different object why it is "GameObject" and it not connected to prefab are you export/import it?
    If yes maybe there have some bug in import/export.

I look at my source code, your node has a missing owner of the node i think something wrong with the prefab.

The prefab i give above it just a example for how to increase the value over time you'll need state machine to handle it, i mean "0" is the initial state so when you have initial "0.3" you should reset to "0.3" and for control slow/fast increase use Time.deltaTime * speed.
    in the future i will make new action like AnimateFloat in playmaker.

I am very sorry if you have such a problem in newer version of uNode. I will be fix all know bug and submit it on the Asset store in short time.

Thanks you.

27. wahid_rachmawan

wahid_rachmawan

Hi @sledgeman ,

i have made custom node AnimateFloat for animate a float with animation curve it very simple and very easy to use, this is just prototype so this can't generate c#. I'll made it available to support c# when this is useful.
    animateFloatPrev.gif

So what do you think?

Note: this node only can be placed in State Graph.

Attached Files:

28. sledgeman

sledgeman

Hey.

What i recognize when building a uNODE graph is, you select a object in the hierarchy (or now as a new feature a new preFab ... very cool), after building your first node, uNODE generates automaticly sub-objects under your selected object. So this "compressed node"-bug appears only if i try to copy a component to an other object. My guess is, the sub-objects are needed and causing this bug. I´ve done this with the common copy n pasta in Unity. But with "import/export" it works as expected.

As said, like in your post #59 the visual feedback inside the uNODE graph is important. And you can see in #59 that the value is changing over time. I don´t know why it doesn´t work in my version. The changes appears only in the inspector. Its on my wish-list to have it back again ;)

I would say, for all VS users out there, the usability is important. So complicated stuff, should be as simple as possible in a VS system. Goal should be: more simple as writing code by my self. Otherwise not a real big benefit here.

29. sledgeman

sledgeman

You are fast :cool::D ... wait a lil bit. Have to check it out.

EDIT:
    Yes ! This is what i mean by "make it simple" ! (crazy, but now the visual-feedback works !!) You said, you will make it availible when its usefull ? But it is usefull. Make it working also when compiling to C#.

It looks like, we are able to build our own nodes and put them f.e. into folder "Other". This could be a great benefit for the uNODE-community to share among all users special nodes, for special tasks ! Is this possible, this way, that when users creating such nodes, the nodes are able to be compiled to C# ?

30. wahid_rachmawan

wahid_rachmawan

Ok i'll make that node generate c#.

Anyone can build they own nodes and place it anywhere in the project.
    Yes its possible by creating new class that extends Node or ValueNode. For support c# you need override GenerateCode() function like this one bellow:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    4. namespace MaxyGames.uNode {
    5.     [NodeMenu("Flow/FlowControl", "FlowControl")]
    6.     public class FlowControl : Node {
    7.         [HideInInspector, FieldConnection(true)]
    8.         public List<MemberData> nextNode = new List<MemberData>() { new MemberData() };
    10.         public override void OnExecute() {
    11.             Finish(nextNode);
    12.         }
    14.         public override string GenerateCode() {
    15.             string data = null;
    16.             for(int i = 0; i < nextNode.Count; i++) {
    17.                 if(!nextNode[i].isAssigned) continue;
    18.                 data += CSharpGenerator.GenerateFlowCode(nextNode[i], this).AddLineInFirst();
    19.             }
    20.             return data;
    21.         }
    22.     }
    23. }
    I have made API for user can made they own nodes but for now there is no documentation to read so i think it hard for new user to made they own nodes.
    For now i still focusing on fixing bug, and online documentation.

31. sledgeman

sledgeman

Okay....thats great !:) I mean, i will first take focus on building some of my projects with uNODE. Later on i will try to dive in building my own nodes, for special purposes. Thx for showing off how to do it.

32. wahid_rachmawan

wahid_rachmawan

uNode v1.4.2 has been submitted for review!

changelog v1.4.2:
    -Added promote to node in input context menu.
    -Added promote to variable in input context menu.
    -Added NodeAnimateFloat.cs
    -Added DefaultNode.cs used to generate default(T) keyword.
    -Added ConditionalNode.cs used to generate conditional (?) operator.
    -Added CoalescingNode.cs used to generate coalescing (??) operator.
    -Added support to parse default keyword.
    -Added support to parse conditional (?) operator.
    -Added support to parse coalescing (??) operator.
    -Fixed bugs on parsing method when parameter has keyword "params"
    -Fixed bugs on parsing constructor when parameter has keyword "params"
    -Fixed bugs on generating constructor
    -Fixed bugs on generating AnimationCurve
    -Fixed NodeWaitForSecond.cs won't generate next flow node.
    -Fixed bug null value after creating value type variable
    -Fixed GUI bugs can't assign member instance
    -Fixed GUI bugs when entering play mode the uNode editor goes wrong
    -Fixed GUI bugs after deleting StateEventNode

33. sledgeman

sledgeman

Review? Does it mean the Unity-Team have to check it out, before releasing it on the assetstore ?

34. wahid_rachmawan

wahid_rachmawan

Yes

35. sledgeman

sledgeman

Okay......strange poeple there :confused:

36. Rixtter

Rixtter

Very interesting tool.

I'm currently using Bolt, which I love, but you have a couple of extra strings to your bow with uNode. The behavior trees and the C# nodes to code / code to nodes. Excellent.

Nottorus was king of VS in terms of C# but the dev has all but vanished and stated support has ended. I hope you get interest from that side of the fence, I posted a reference to here in hope of helping their disheartened community.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/released-nottorus-unlimited-visual-programming-plugin.395750/page-22

I'll be keeping an eye on this one, likely buy it cuz my hobby is playing with VS tools lol. I own most tools and haven't got a single dependency on any of them cuz i always end up prototyping & then code it myself.

Best of luck wahid...

Mark_01 likes this.
  37. Mark_01

Mark_01

I just found this forum and uNode. I can not code c#, kind of know how to run playmaker.
    I got Bolt in Dec and just started 2 weeks ago, learning Bolt. and I love it. But it will never out put C# scripts
    like real C# , Ver 2 will have output code, but in Bolt terms.

So Unode could very well work well with Bolt, I am thinking. What I am wondering is this ..

Is the output of uNode like C# that say bolt could read and turn into its Bolt nodes ?
    I like visual coding that is simple. With Bolt I am getting a handle on C# just by using, Bolt.
    So in part my plan was to use Bolt to get an understanding for C# in general, SO maybe one day I can
    write simple C# if needed. But if Ucode can do that for me in a visual way, and using reflection,
    then I am really looking at this. It is on my wish list. And another way to generate interest might be to consider
    a " secret sale " to get some extra promotion, in the What Is On (Secret) Sale? forum page.
    The main idea is get enough people to put a rating on this, preferably 5 stars :)

With the situation with Nottorus, Unode might get a lot of lookers in the next while. I am the same as the post
    above me. I'll be keeping eye on this as well.

Best wishes for the future wahid !

38. sledgeman

sledgeman

Man, the reflection has been discussed here. No need to worry about it, because if you output C# you left reflectioness (answer from dev) ;) !!! The C# is pretty well readable ! And i am not a pro programer ! .... this means a lot. So i guess you can use it for Bolt.

39. Mark_01

Mark_01

Maybe i was wrong, I thought I had read that uNode has refection ... if not, my mis-reading / understanding, sorry about that

40. sledgeman

sledgeman

I asked the Dev about reflections of using it inside uNODE, because i read about it, they are usefull but slow ! He tells me, it doesn´t matter if you use them, when you output C# you are fast codewise as usual. It means it supports also reflections, as i understand ;)

41. wahid_rachmawan

wahid_rachmawan

Thank you.
    from what i see bolt using reflection which make dynamic node from the script, so the c# output generated by uNode can be turn to Bolt nodes (if you make function/property/variable to public). uNode has reflection system too which turn script object into nodes same like bolt do this mean you can integrate bolt with uNode and of course any other plugin too.
    You are not wrong, uNode has reflection system as well, which is used by dynamic node and action. But as sledgeman say reflection is useful but slow compare to native c# script. But uNode has c# generator which make your code runs faster so you don't have to worry about it.

Thanks.

Mark_01 likes this.
  42. wahid_rachmawan

wahid_rachmawan

uNode v1.4.2 has been released on the Asset store.

online documentation will be available soon, i has been working on it:). as soon as is finish i will make new example for uNode and a couple of tutorial videos, of course the first priority still improving uNode.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  43. sledgeman

sledgeman

Finally ! Everything works so far, as expected. Good job ! :)

I think, bunch of examples would be great for users. I guess making video-tutorials are taking some time. Documentation also. In my opinion i learn best while working with uNODE. So learning by doing. If its faster for you, 1st i would do some example scenses. Than you got more time for developing uNODE.

Some Basic-Example Scenes are welcome. Like :
    - transform objects
    - collision / trigger
    - fadeIN, fadeOUT objects / uGUI
    - score system (variables)
    - raycast stuff
    - etc

Maybe some other users, can also write here some wishes...

44. Mark_01

Mark_01

Thank you for the reply. I am very interested in uNode! It is a bit out of my price range now, funds wise, but I have a feeling this can be one of the top packages for visual scripting / output to c# .. I love bolt, and this is the most productive time i have had in the last 3 weeks, with Bolt over, the last 2 years. since I had been dreading to learn C# > I should say I am almost 60 retired. So I am pretty sure visual coding is for me one way or another.

The hardest part for hobby guys with little c# skills is that each package is its own . Like say you have a
    RGP system like Rfps , then emerald AI, then add a weather system. So I think for a fair amount of people here..
    unless you know how to code.. getting different packages to talk to each other is very hard with zero c# coding skills.

So the reflection is really important for people like me with hardly no c#, to get all these wonderful packages to work together. And i am really happy i got Bolt on sale. However, Unode looks like the next step to learn, or to bridge something that Bolt might not be the ideal way. Please forgive my ignorance... I have a feeling that Unode will
    end up being very good for the Unity community. When you have little skill the possible slowness of " reflection "
    does not really matter since not knowing C# your going to be writing slow anyway. As skills build then yes I can
    see that might be a bit bothersome, but you have to start some where, once you realize that there is no way to get around not coding at all, unless your willing to have only what ever rpg system has in it.

Congratulations on a great looking system wahid!!! :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Gontz likes this.
  45. wahid_rachmawan

wahid_rachmawan

Very interesting idea but video tutorial is very important too, some user don't like to read.
    As i focus on creating documentation, next update will need more time to release.

Thank you.

46. wolfen231

wolfen231

Not sure if this has been asked. Please forgive me if it was.

1. C# Generator. What are the limitations if any on this?
    2. Does it require ANYTHING at all to go with the output / generated scripts? Or is it just plain old C# script that I can just hand the file over to some one else?
    3. Any other "gotchas!" about the C# Generator?

47. wahid_rachmawan

wahid_rachmawan

• Can't generate new enums, interfaces, nested class/struct/interfaces types (uNode will support this on the future, just look at the roadmap in first post)
    • Can't generate new indexer for class/struct (this will be supported in the future).
    • Can't generate new delegates (this will be supported in the future).
    • Can't generate new generic interfaces, struct, and class types (this will be supported in the future).
    • All the c# output from State Graphs are required one file from uNode to handle the StateMachine, BehaviorTree and coroutine node. And the c# output became more hard to read at least for non/beginner programmer of course this only applies on State Graphs, the c# output generated from Flow Graph are not affected even if you use State Graphs.
    • If your are not using State Graphs the c# output does not required anything. If you using State Graphs the c# output required one file named RuntimeSMHelper.cs from uNode and that file you can share with the other.
    • Any other requirement based on your graphs ex: when you using iTween then the c# output required it.
    3. No

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    wolfen231 likes this.
  48. wolfen231

wolfen231

Thanks for fast reply. So. One thing I want to use this for if it's doing what I think it is... is making simple scripts for Dungeon Architect. Rules and transforms. Nothing overly complex.

Unfortunately for me.... I am not 100% sure if making those scripts would contain ANY of the things you had mentioned. HAHA.

And of course this boils down as well to if your asset can actually even support reading from DA's stuff. Like a few other visual script systems out there (Bolt for example) it can read stuff from DA. Unfortunately it doesn't support exporting of scripts what so ever.

Mark_01 likes this.
  49. wahid_rachmawan

wahid_rachmawan

uNode can read any script/library as well. maybe because i not include information about reflection system in uNode this confuse someone. so i clarify uNode has a feature called dynamic node that allows anyone to integrate script/libraries to uNode from variable, property, method, generic method, type, generic type, indexer, event/delegate, and enum all are supported.
    look at post #59 i integrate uNode with DOTween without creating a new node script, so uNode should support Dungeon Architect too.

Mark_01 likes this.
  50. wolfen231

wolfen231

Naw. Scripting is just one of my weakest areas so a lot of what you speak is greek to me haha.

Thanks for the info!

Mark_01 likes this.