Search Unity

[Released] R.A.M River Auto Material.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NatureManufacture, Oct 13, 2017.

1. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Thx for your skype feedback we fill fix asap.

BTW
    Any feedback from new version? UI etc?

Mark_01 likes this.
  2. blitzvb

blitzvb

At first I thought I knew what you were teasing but now I am not sure :)

Now my bet is on a feature to change the terrain textures and heightmap bellow ? am I hot or cold? :)

awesomedata likes this.
  3. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

4. Artomiano

Artomiano

Hi,

RAM looks very interesting to me. Good work so far. ;)

I have two questions or suggestions:

1. Suppose, in the river are different sized stones. Is it possible to deform the surface of the river so that it corresponds to the overflow of water - automatically? I speak of the model of reality. Normally, the water surface changes according to the ground, so for example stones. RAM simulates (using shaders?) actually only random water movements. Is this right? Would it be possible to use terrain and possibly objects, such as stones, as the basis for calculating the water surface?

2. If the river meets an obstacle, such as a rock or a river curve, the direction of the river must change accordingly. The rock must be wrapped around and in the curve, the shader must also "calculate around the curve". Does RAM already handle that? In your videos, it seems, that the river flow "in" the obstacle. ;)

5. awesomedata

awesomedata

Is it possible to use a 'paint' styled tool to "push" the splines (and therefore meshes) up away from (or down to touch!) the nearest geometry?

For example, I would like to draw out a path in the air for the river, then "push" most of it down to meet the ground normals as far as it can go by using a form of a (perhaps "spherical"?) paintbrush in the scene view or something -- assuming it's possible..

6. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

You want to snap to terrain by brush? Not by points?

awesomedata likes this.
  7. Rowlan

Rowlan

New version is awesome imo :)

ram.jpg

8. nomax5

nomax5

I like your grass, may I ask is it an asset?

Cheers

Roy

9. Rowlan

Rowlan

Vegetation Studio Grass + Lighting Box (i. e. postprocessing).

It was the first I had at hand. Only wanted to toy around with the new RAM version. You can also find great looking grass in the Advanced Foliage Pack.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  10. Rowlan

Rowlan

Just tried the demo in R.A.M with the intersection. It totally adds to the scene. Great update @NatureManufacture :)

ram-drago-2.jpg

kerrmedia, nomax5, Mark_01 and 2 others like this.
  11. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Cool i could add this into galery as community screen:)

Rowlan likes this.
  12. blitzvb

blitzvb

The grass you are using is coming from This asset?

13. Rowlan

Rowlan

I created a comparison image. Top is R.A.M demo scene, bottom is what I added. It's really super easy to do, that scene was set up within minutes:

comparison.jpg

Asset breakdown:
    • R.A.M.: loaded advanced demo scene
    • Vegetation Studio: added grass & trees
    • Advanced Foliage Pack: additional plants
    • Microsplat's Wetness & Streams module: wetness detail around the river
    • Lighting Box 2: postprocessing
    If you'd like to see a good how-to, check out the tutorial video of @NatureManufacture using R.A.M., Vegetation Studio, Advanced Foliage Pack:

14. blitzvb

blitzvb

ok ok!

I am buying Advanced Foliage Pack... but I am going to be blame to be a fan boy of NatureManufacturer between CTS, RAM and that ;)

15. awesomedata

awesomedata

Using the brush on points is fine actually -- the major thing I need is to (gradually) push multiple points (in a given diameter) down at a time toward a mesh and/or terrain in order to manually finesse rivers across subtle bumps and hills in the terrain. Being able to "shift" those around horizontally with a brush stroke would be nice as well, but not necessary I guess.

The best way I can think of is to "stroke" a brush across those points a little at a time with a user-defined strength and diameter (and possibly a falloff) so you can control large lengths of long rivers from high in the sky as well as control subtle shifts in height across large areas with rivers near slight bumps and hills on the ground that cover a large distance across a terrain or mesh. This would be especially useful on large waterfalls too.

Having to go in and manually move each and every point on tons of long splines using the transform widget would take forever for this kind of detail work, so this is pretty important to me.

Does that make sense?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  16. nomax5

nomax5

Really....
    I sort of got to thinking RAM instead of microsplat wetness I didn't think that they might compliment each other.
    Do you make a stream with microsplat then put RAM on top? or is it just on the sides?

I did think about placing tributary's feeding into the river

Have you got any tips for us?

Cheers

Roy

17. Rowlan

Rowlan

I used a RAM river and then painted wetness at the edges of the river. The problem with Microsplat's stream is that it doesn't use a flow map. Instead it's height based. So you get the best effect at stones where the water splashes down like a waterfall. Having it on horizontal terrain doesn't make much sense because there's no water origin, but still, along the edges it's just fine as an additional layer like e. g. in the pic above with the horse. It looks better of course when it's animated.

Here's a quick video with overkill in painting, should of course be only around the edges of the river, it's only for showing the effect:

Makes me wish that R.A.M. would be extended with something similar, but respecting the flow of the river :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    kerrmedia and trilobyteme like this.
  18. nomax5

nomax5

Ahh I see what you mean, they do compliment each other nicely but you've got to air on the realism side. You could have a rocky tributary running into / under the river I think

Thanks for the video, its really helpful

Rowlan likes this.
  19. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

20. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Mark_01 likes this.
  21. Rowlan

Rowlan

@NatureManufacture Looks awesome. Will there be another making of tutorial? These are really an inspiration :)

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  22. treshold

treshold

Is the "Mountain Tree Pack - Dynamic Nature" totally new product or is it update to Mountain tree pack or is it possible to pay crossgrade price since I own Mountain tree pack? nevertheless new Mountain Tree Pack - dynamic pack will be insta-purchase whatever the price is :p

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  23. blitzvb

blitzvb

Yeah tell us more.

24. awesomedata

awesomedata

25. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Sorry I will in the morning - hot line here;/
    Ok so....
    Here you go -accepted 2min ago:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/107004?aid=1011lGkb

New movie!:)

And another one!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Rowlan, lawsochi, blitzvb and 2 others like this.
  26. Rowlan

Rowlan

27. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Ditto.. Grabbed it and rocks pack which was my other missing NatureManufacture pack!

28. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

We will add this. This is good idea :)

Mark_01 and awesomedata like this.
  29. treshold

treshold

Awesome release for friday just grabbed new forest pack.

NatureManufacture likes this.
  30. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Give feedback etc:)

31. Teila

Teila

How do I change the direction of the water flow?

32. Mark_01

Mark_01

This link shows changing direction

If I understand what you are meaning. And the Vertex Paint tool can change the speed in places you want as well

Hope this helps

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  33. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

She catch me at skype. Just in material you could setup "-" in every water stage and mix to get direction that you need. Example: main speed from 0 0.018 set to 0 and -0.018 and water will move from last to 0 point if we will set 0.018 0 it will move in 90 degree...

Important note:
    Textures will handle 0 , 180 degree but 90... could change visual aspect at waterfalls, so its better to rotate by 90 degree in mesh - rotate uv.

Maybe i should add this into doc? Mostly because of rotating by 90 in material instead of by spline.

Mark_01 likes this.
  34. Artomiano

Artomiano

35. NotQuiteSmith

NotQuiteSmith

Hi,
    We're using this in a VR project but have an issue where other objects and particle effects are being masked by the river (like they are "behind" it). I'm no expert on screen shaders, etc. - could someone offer any advice or potential fixes?

Thanks!

EDIT: LITERALLY JUST UPDATED TO THE LATEST VERSION AND THIS IS FIXED!!! Can't believe it - it looks AMAZING!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  36. NotQuiteSmith

NotQuiteSmith

Just bought your Rocks Pack too. This stuff is just too good.

37. Mark_01

Mark_01

Agreed !! :)

38. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

1,2 Not yet, in upcomming updates.

Mark_01 and blitzvb like this.
  39. Artomiano

Artomiano

1. Alright, I'm really excited. ;)
    2. Will the upcoming rendering system in Unity 2018 have an effect to the river renderings?

40. blitzvb

blitzvb

41. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

yeap
    We will make update but even now it should work fine.

Mark_01 and blitzvb like this.
  42. blitzvb

blitzvb

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  43. Zaki_X

Zaki_X

I would like to ask about "Mountain Trees - Dynamic Nature" asset as I can't find a proper thread. I've seen a notice about it's new 1.1 version that says:

"fixed problems with brightness at unity 2017 (removed tranclucency, it bug AA sometimes) This also means better performance Translucency will back with unity 2018 and post process stack 2.0"

My question is- so is there a way of achieving visual effects like these that have been shown in the movies above (since trees have no translucency)? Unity 2018 is still beta and knowing Unity's history it will become stable after 5-6 months. This ain't a good news at all :(.

44. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

In material you could change direction by 90 degree. If you need to change up/down simple set negatove values in speeds.
    At movie we didnt had translucency so sure you could achive that. We just had good post process profile nothing more. We used normal unity lighting and default skybox etc.

blitzvb and Mark_01 like this.
  45. halecc

halecc

Hello @NatureManufacture,

Was wondering if there was a way to blend the water edge better or perhaps it could be a future feature? I am trying to see if i can use this asset for a lake but even then i feel like it would help the asset overall. Let me know if i missed some setting or feature since i tinkered with it for a while.

Attached Files:

• RAM.png
      RAM.png
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
  46. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

A) turn on the light at editor view. Without it alpha not show at editor view.
    b) blend shoudnt and not look like that did you modify material?

47. halecc

halecc

Bah sorry you are totally right, i went back and did the test in your sample scene and the blending is great! I made this new scene and tested it again and it looks amazing! I must have messed with some settings i didn't know about. I am really glad this asset can be used like this! Many thanks!!

Attached Files:

• RAM.png
      RAM.png
      File size:
      735.3 KB
      Views:
  48. NotQuiteSmith

NotQuiteSmith

Hi,
    What would be the best way to detect if the player is "under water"? If I have a river that flows flat, then down a waterfall then flat again, I can't do a simple "player.y < waterlevel" of course.

Is there a way to maybe raycast up from the player to see if I hit the mesh renderer? Can I just add a mesh collider to the RAM object? Are there any performance issues?

Edit: Hmmm can't add mesh collider because then I just walk on water :).

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  49. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Raycast to water colider from position of player eyes - up and down.
    Up - if it hit water that mean player is under it = swim and you could add any effects of underwater
    Down - player is under water, distance will show if he should swim.
    Mesh coulider could be trigger. Btw R.A.M mesh is pretty simple so there shouldnt be any performance issues. Anyway dont create one huuuge river over whole world, cut it into parts with our system to connect them.

50. NotQuiteSmith

NotQuiteSmith

Is there already a collider on the river somewhere or do I just add one?