Search Unity

World Building [RELEASED] CScape - advanced building generator

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by olix4242, Mar 11, 2017.

1. shredingskin

shredingskin

I think that the jumping from 2018 too 2019 is not as jarring as it was 2017 to 2018, and I'm currently on 2019, so I don't care, but can I see how many people would prefer to stay on a LTS.
    I wouldn't start putting SRP as a priority, as for now it's still constantly changing and different versions require different packages, and now with LWRP moving to universal I don't see it as being stable at least in 2019 lifecycle (and still HDRP is kinda of a pain).
    But at the same time, it's pretty clear that the current pipeline is going to be deprecated sooner than later (specially now that they're dropping support for enlighten).
    It's a tough call.

hopeful and JBR-games like this.
  2. JBR-games

JBR-games

CScape is already great.. So keep support with current feature set for 2018LT add improvements where its easy...
    but id say for your time focusing on 2019 and beyound makes more sense as most people will also be moving to these.

JRD, shredingskin and Alverik like this.
  3. olix4242

olix4242

Here are some new upcoming CScape features that I'm working on: In annew version it will be possible to make freeform buildings and import buildings from Open Street Maps. Cscape manages all UV mapping in procedural fashion. This is pretty powerfull feature that lets you correct mesh issues typical for online maps and/or make complex buildings in minutes while maintaining incredible performance because whole city can use one single procedural shader, thus, reducing draw calls and build sizes to minimum.

4. HBK_

HBK_

There are still some bugs in new version and that's why many devs like me don't upgrade their project to newer version and like to stay on the older and much stable version with much more error support from community on the older version than the new.Dropping the support for 2018 will be a big no no from me.
    That is something that you stole from my brain,Few days earlier i was making a custom city with your Cscape and made a weird looking block and placed a building from cscape and it didn't fit there and i thought well only if there was a feature to change the shape of the buildings in cscape and today i saw your this post and couldn't be more happy to see the feature coming to next update.Thank you

MorpheusXI likes this.
  5. HBK_

HBK_

Now you have me really excited for the next update,Importing buildings from OpenStreetMaps is a huge Feature along with the FreeForm Buildings,Any estimate when the next update will be rolling out?
    Please be the best.I am only struggling with the performance issue on the new version other than that its just Awesome.
    For the new version what worked for me in a default style city is that if i set the minimum buildings per block size to min 1 and max 3 then the performance in editor is like 30-35 or sometimes 48 and that is better compared to 10-14 or 22 max and i am looking to test it on my device soon to see the thermal issue and if there are none then i will use the latest version,Other than this performance issue the asset clearly shows the hard work of yours.Have a great day and please try to focus on performance when you are done making these awesome features.

JBR-games likes this.
  6. olix4242

olix4242

Cscape will be supporting alcso a new type of freeform buildings. Those can be pretty heavy in respect to standard CScape buildings, but they are pretty nice when used with parsimony. image.jpg

JBR-games, buc, sharkapps and 3 others like this.
  7. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Me likey!

olix4242 likes this.
  8. olix4242

olix4242

Hera is a new procedural roof management workflow:

khos and sharkapps like this.
  9. olix4242

olix4242

And some new render made with CScape and my Deckard Render.

buFFalo94, khos, Deckard_89 and 2 others like this.
  10. MorpheusXI

MorpheusXI

For the moment I'm staying with 2018 LTS. I will move to 2019 mid 2020 should I make money from my first game by then. This is the process I intend to use yearly e.g. migrate to last years version mid the following year.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  11. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Oliver,

I just updated my project to 2019.2 from 2018 and now the menu option to add a CScape city is missing. There are no errors or Warnings in Console. This also happened to Weather Maker, and I have posted to their forum as well.

Any thoughts?

12. olix4242

olix4242

It is missing probaby because you have scripts that doesn't compile. If you try to play any scene in unity it will not play and will give you a compilation warning. Look into a console for warnings on what scripts doesn't compile. I'm pretty sure it's not cscapes fault.

13. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Absoultely correct.

For the record; It was an issue with an older version of Post Processing when I upgraded Gaia, but not PP.

Thanks again for the help.

14. gianluca-menini

gianluca-menini

Hi ,
    I bought cscape and I'm using your plugin. I uploaded the demo scene into a new project. If I use the WebGl platform by compiling the application, uploading it to my server and using both Chrome and Firefox as a browser returns me a completely black window and immediately after an error message from the browser itself. In the editor, inside unity, once the WebGl 2.0 emulation is set, it returns me a view where the street part is completely black. I'm using unity 2018.3.8.f1 (I also tried it with the 2018.2.14.f1 version). I honestly don't know where to get my hands on... Help!
    I send you images that show the image I see in the editor and the setting of both the lights and the player setting
    Thank

Attached Files:

15. olix4242

olix4242

Did you use this update? Maybee it could help in your issue:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zsdzx4swv01sr2/CScapeStreetBlackFix.unitypackage?dl=0

16. gianluca-menini

gianluca-menini

Thank you, I didn't download it. Now with how much you sent me to editor the problem is solved while if I load the application at runtime with any browser the problem remains. By clarity I mean that once I compile the application I load it on my server and launch the application with a browser (chrome or firefox); doing so does not appear that a black screen and if I try to give the command of full screen I receive an error message from the browser (only firefox chrome appears in the upper left a sad emoticon...).

17. Lazy_Eight

Lazy_Eight

Is it possible to retexture the city, I'm trying to make it cel shaded however trying to alter the shader, on each building just seems to alter the entire city and makes it all white.

18. olix4242

olix4242

I think that I know what is going on. By running fullscreen video memory looses it's contents, and a texture that should be rendered from a start of application, gets lost. You might want to try to reload your scene once you enter a fullscreen (this is more of a hack and not a real solution).
    There are some other solutions but they require coding from my side, and I'm currently in vacation untill next week without an easy access to Unity.

19. olix4242

olix4242

I think that I know what is going on. By running fullscreen video memory looses it's contents, and a texture that should be rendered from a start of application, gets lost. You might want to try to reload your scene once you enter a fullscreen (this is more of a hack and not a real solution).
    There are some other solutions but they require coding from my side, and I'm currently in vacation untill next week without easy access to Unity.

20. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Oliver,

I created a new project to test out CScape in 2019.2.2f1 I added CScape, added Standard Assets, added the Toolkit, added the two update assets (CScapeFix_0.9fix and CScapeStreetBlackFix) I have rebooted the project as well as my computer and I still get the following three errors:

• Assets\CScape\Scripts\BuildingEditorOrganizer.cs(38,19): error CS1061: 'BuildingModifier' does not contain a definition for 'dontDestroyChildren' and no accessible extension method 'dontDestroyChildren' accepting a first argument of type 'BuildingModifier' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

• Assets\CScape\Scripts\PowerMerger.cs(34,19): error CS1061: 'BuildingModifier' does not contain a definition for 'dontDestroyChildren' and no accessible extension method 'dontDestroyChildren' accepting a first argument of type 'BuildingModifier' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

• Assets\CScape\Scripts\CSFloorDetails.cs(229,63): error CS1061: 'BuildingModifier' does not contain a definition for 'isInRoot' and no accessible extension method 'isInRoot' accepting a first argument of type 'BuildingModifier' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    I also get quite a number of warning messages, though nothing there jumps out at my as the source of these errors. Let me know what other info you need and what I need to resolve this. I will continue to look into this and add to this post if I find anything.

Thanks
    James

21. olix4242

olix4242

CScapeFix_0.9fix shouldn't be added. Probably it breaks your project.

JamesWjRose likes this.
  22. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

For the record, for others, you are correct. I created a new testbed, added Standard Assets, then CScape and not either of the new updates and no issues. Thanks kindly.

olix4242 likes this.
  23. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Oliver,

Some other good news: The issues I was having with texture compiling causing errors is no longer an issue with 2019. (same machine)

olix4242 likes this.
  24. jnbbender

jnbbender

I haven't looked at this asset in a while. Does it still use convex collider is around every building? Or does it use colliders to more appropriately shape to the building?

25. olix4242

olix4242

It uses mesh colliders. only the first initial alpha version used approximative colliders due to a bug.

26. gianluca-menini

gianluca-menini

Hi
    the problem also arises without giving the maximized. I was doing the test of the maximd just to see if the refresh helped the system. In webgl appears all black building, street, etc.
    For security I tried both with Edge,Explorer,Chrome and Filezilla but the result does not change .

27. olix4242

olix4242

I'm back in the office, and trying to build any WebGl... but without any results (with or without Cscape). Have constant crashes. I must admitt that I didn't test webGL implementation for months.
    In a meantime - what comes into my mind is: are you sure that a browser runs on a dedicated hardware that can support webGL2.0 and not (for example) an integrated graphics card?

28. gianluca-menini

gianluca-menini

Hi
    If I told you I'm sure of what you'd ask me to lie: I don't have certainty. I can only tell you that I have done several tests of unity applications for webgl and I have not had any problems (which does not mean anything). I only noticed that one browser in particular from problems often and willingly and it is Edge. If you can use it in the site we are doing you can find an example of a unity application made by us that uses some features of amplify plugins. The address is www.aegvirtualworld.com . If you think it might help you to check the project sources there's no problem with them. One last thing , I hope it can be useful, I tried the application with cscape and another application without cscape on different pCs (the browsers are the same). One pc had an integrated intel card; the second a nvidia with 6 gb of ram and the last with new generation nvidia with 8 gb the result is the same. Another detail the drivers of the two nvidia I placed them in the tests with two different versions. The result is the same with all-black cscape with the second application the problem does not exist. Look I'm the first to acknowledge that I'm absolutely not helping you but I'm trying to provide you with the maximum amount of information and I've used these days to do different tests. If you need any kind of information or want me to test no problem!

29. olix4242

olix4242

Can you look into the browser console and see if there are any errors? Something about shaders?

30. gianluca-menini

gianluca-menini

But dirty world! Excuse me you're right I'm heavenly but you'll pass or the address of the example made with cscape instead of writing novels in you I pass it. I'm with chrome
    http://aegvirtualworld.com/webgl/city/

olix4242 likes this.
  31. gianluca-menini

gianluca-menini

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CScape/CSTentsShops' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CSIndustrialProps' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CSRefraction' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CScape/LightPoles' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CScape/CSAdvertising' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    2UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Standard' - Pass 'META' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CScape/CSRooftops' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'NordLakeLite/NordLakeRiver' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CScape/CSBuildingShader' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CScape/Balcony' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    2UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Nature/SpeedTree' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CScape/CSRooftopsArrayPBR' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader

32. gianluca-menini

gianluca-menini

Sorry the previous list was not completed.
    Here is the list completed:
    Initialize engine version: 2018.3.8f1 (fc0fe30d6d91)
    UnityLoader.js:4 Creating WebGL 2.0 context.
    UnityLoader.js:4 Renderer: WebKit WebGL
    UnityLoader.js:4 Vendor: WebKit
    UnityLoader.js:4 Version: OpenGL ES 3.0 (WebGL 2.0 (OpenGL ES 3.0 Chromium))
    UnityLoader.js:4 GLES: 3
    UnityLoader.js:4 EXT_color_buffer_float GL_EXT_color_buffer_float EXT_disjoint_timer_query_webgl2 GL_EXT_disjoint_timer_query_webgl2 EXT_float_blend GL_EXT_float_blend EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic KHR_parallel_shader_compile GL_KHR_parallel_shader_compile OES_texture_float_linear GL_OES_texture_float_linear WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc GL_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc_srgb GL_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc_srgb WEBGL_debug_renderer_info GL_WEBGL_debug_renderer_info WEBGL_debug_shaders GL_WEBGL_debug_shaders WEBGL_lose_context GL_WEBGL_lose_context
    UnityLoader.js:4 OPENGL LOG: Creating OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics device ; Context level <OpenGL ES 3.0> ; Context handle 1
    15The AudioContext was not allowed to start. It must be resumed (or created) after a user gesture on the page. <URL>
    UnityLoader.js:4 UnloadTime: 0.195000 ms
    UnityLoader.js:4 The referenced script (CScape.CScapeLODManager) on this Behaviour is missing!
    UnityLoader.js:4
    UnityLoader.js:4 (Filename: Line: 195)
    UnityLoader.js:4 The referenced script (CSMaterialTools) on this Behaviour is missing!
    UnityLoader.js:4 The referenced script (CScape.TextureArrayTools) on this Behaviour is missing!
    UnityLoader.js:4 The referenced script (DetailMaterialTools) on this Behaviour is missing!
    UnityLoader.js:4 The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'CScape City') is missing!
    UnityLoader.js:4 (Filename: Line: 294)
    UnityLoader.js:4 A scripted object (probably CScape.CScapeLODManager?) has a different serialization layout when loading. (Read 32 bytes but expected 76 bytes)
    UnityLoader.js:4 Did you #ifdef UNITY_EDITOR a section of your serialized properties in any of your scripts?
    UnityLoader.js:4 (Filename: Line: 2001)
    UnityLoader.js:4 The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'CScape City') is missing!
    UnityLoader.js:4 A scripted object (probably CSMaterialTools?) has a different serialization layout when loading. (Read 32 bytes but expected 276 bytes)
    UnityLoader.js:4 Did you #ifdef UNITY_EDITOR a section of your serialized properties in any of your scripts?
    UnityLoader.js:4 A scripted object (probably DetailMaterialTools?) has a different serialization layout when loading. (Read 32 bytes but expected 80 bytes)
    UnityLoader.js:4 A scripted object (probably CScape.TextureArrayTools?) has a different serialization layout when loading. (Read 32 bytes but expected 208 bytes)
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Legacy Shaders/Diffuse' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    2UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CScape/CSStreetShader' - Pass 'FORWARD' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CScape/CSStreetShader' - Pass 'DEFERRED' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CScape/CSStreetShader' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CScape/CSStreetShader' - Pass 'ShadowCaster' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CScape/CSStreetShader' - All passes removed
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CScape/CSTentsShops' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CSIndustrialProps' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CSRefraction' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CScape/LightPoles' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CScape/CSAdvertising' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    2UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Standard' - Pass 'META' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CScape/CSRooftops' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'NordLakeLite/NordLakeRiver' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CScape/CSBuildingShader' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CScape/Balcony' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    2UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Nature/SpeedTree' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'CScape/CSRooftopsArrayPBR' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader
    UnityLoader.js:4 UnloadTime: 1.240000 ms
    UnityLoader.js:4 Unloading 5 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)
    UnityLoader.js:4 Unloading 5 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 4063.
    UnityLoader.js:4 Total: 2.495000 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.220000 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.064999 ms MarkObjects: 2.195001 ms DeleteObjects: 0.015000 ms)
    80537f3e-e47d-459d-9d79-681da45ecdab:2 warning: 2 FS.syncfs operations in flight at once, probably just doing extra work

33. olix4242

olix4242

34. gianluca-menini

gianluca-menini

I'm finishing up doing a little project always with cscape to try it out on webgl. As soon as I'm done and tried I tell you if anything has changed.
    I take the opportunity to ask you something else. To make sure that the city can be manageable even on pCs with hardware ... "poor" I divided the city into parts that I'm going to call up as scenes separately (the loading times even on i3 5 years ago with intel as graphics card are good). But I have the problem of how to create an image of the city that has to replace the block that I'm going to load. I tried to create it with the render texture but honestly the result is poor. Do you have an idea to give me? Last thing the software I'm finishing in the end is a huge e-commerce, exhibit, museum-gallery and not only where the stores became real stores how can I make the store windows be placed in place of those that by default by cscape? (we're basically creating a fully virtual social) And I could change the textures of the buildings to create cities of different style (I read that in the future you would do it I would just understand if I have to wait for new releases or I could do it too). Thank you for your patience regardless of your tools is really (in Italy it is said in these cases): ""Mythical!"

35. olix4242

olix4242

You are in Italy? I'm also. Feel free to contact me in private and we can maybe speak by phone. I'm also working a lot in virtual art/museum sector.

36. HiWill

HiWill

some question about the occlusion culling : it's cpu or gpu culling ? precompute or realtime ?

37. Testmobile

Testmobile

Hello, im sorry if it's a recurring question but im trying to make a remastered version of a old game i did that uses a lot of old stuff (unity 5.6), Cscape imports nicely but the textures are not showing up, except for the bus stop texture.
    Is it worth the time to be messing around or i should just try to upgrade?!

Screenshot 2019-09-08 09.27.27.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-08 09.17.01.png

38. olix4242

olix4242

It's a hard question. New CScape uses some functionality that isn't available on older Unity. Also, because Unity has had many changes so far (most in shader departement) it is pretty impossible to keep a compatibility with older Unity shaders. I immagine that you are trying to switch your project from old Unity to a new one resulting on a broken shaders?
    Solutions?
    1) If you pass me a folder with a version that you were using, and give me info on what Unity version you are planing to use it and pass me CScape folder package that you were using (in private), I can probably convert your shaders to current Unity version. Not sure about succsess, but I can try.
    2) backup your project and try to import a new Cscape scripts. Not sure about updating, but I was always trying to make it more or less compatible for updates. This means that your city might work out of box or maybee require some changes. It mostly depends from what version you are updating. Note: your city will slightly change it's appereance.

p. s. I'm not sure, but having those black buildings makes me wonder if you have enabled shader emulation. In that case, you probably don't need to update Cscape.

39. olix4242

olix4242

CScape works with unity baked culling and LOD system.

40. Testmobile

Testmobile

I was trying to use the latest version of Cscape on my old 5.6 3f1 Unity project wasn't using Cscape(the city on the screens was the Cscape demo).
    Thanks for the reply and don't worry, i was just asking in case it was something dumb i was missing. I think your time will be better spent on new toys for Cscape instead looking at some backwards compatibility issues.

41. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Oliver,

Is there a way to update the city without changing the location of the buildings?

Example:
    • Generate cIty
    • Move buildings
    • Change Random Settings so that buildings are taller (change min and max)
    • Press Generate or Refresh city
    I attempted multiple scenarios of the above, and the buildings get placed back into the grid if I press "Generate City" and the buildings dont change if I press "Refresh City"

42. buc

buc

As far as I know, not at the moment.

But it is pretty easy to iterate with a custom script over all buildings and add X meters to the height.
    2 things to know about:
    - after setting the new height (I think it's called floornr or something similar) you have to call an updatecity method.
    - if you want to use random values, remember that the time is not running the same inside the editor as when using random method during play mode.

Currently I don't have access to my IDE, etc. so I can give you only some hints from memory.

43. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Thanks, I have been working on some code for the past hour and it hasn't updated, I came back to here to see if Oliver had answered and her you were. Thank you.

I'll tweak it tomorrow to see if the UpdateCity works.

Have a great week

44. buc

buc

There are 2 methods that need to be called, AwakeCity() and UpdateCity(). Still no working development system, so I'm not totally sure about the order, but: getting the BuildingModifier script, setting the floornr and then AwakeCity() followed by UpdateCity(), for every building should do the job.Not sure if this is the best way though, but that's how I got it working.

JamesWjRose likes this.
  45. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Thanks Buc,

I got it working with the info you gave me. Thank you kindly.

[SerializeField]
    private int bldgSizeMinimum = 10;
    [SerializeField]
    private int bldgSizeMaximum = 10;
    [SerializeField]
    public string bldgTag = "";

var buildings = GameObject.FindGameObjectsWithTag(bldgTag).ToList();
    foreach (var building in buildings)
    {
    var bldgModifier = building.GetComponent<BuildingModifier>();
    bldgModifier.AwakeCity();
    bldgModifier.floorNumber = Random.Range(bldgSizeMinimum, bldgSizeMaximum);
    bldgModifier.UpdateCity();
    }

46. badradionz

badradionz

How do we edit the shopSigns texture array to change the shop signs?

47. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

48. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

There is a file: AdvertisingPanels.png in \Assets\CScape\Models\ADVPanels2.fbm Adjust this and then switch back to your city and the signs will change.

There is a lot of white space in the file, and I don't know what that does. If you figure it out, let us know.

49. badradionz

badradionz

AdvertisingPanels.png and shopSigns texture array are two different things!

Advertising Panels I edited no problem, but the shopSigns are inside an array that I can't seem to access with photoshop or anything.

shopSigns are the Burgers, Electronics, Hotel signs on all of the shop fronts.

50. rmorph

rmorph

Hi! Could you tell us a little bit more about the addon packs you have planned? I am particularly interested in creating SCI-FI cities.