Search Unity

World Building [RELEASED] CScape - advanced building generator

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by olix4242, Mar 11, 2017.

1. HBK_

HBK_

Here Are The Results : I Made a new project and imported Standard Assets And Cscape ONLY.
    Switched from windows to android and changed the colorspcae to linear and Graphics API to OpenGLES 3.
    Then opened the Cscape Demo Scene And This Was The Result https://imgur.com/a/khmVoNW the same black streets.

Then I Did This
    And This Is The Result In Game View : https://imgur.com/a/qLl7WgU
    And This Is The Result In Scene View : https://imgur.com/a/mWJr9g9

On My existing project the street color was Magenta but in new project its different,I Think it will work after it has done showing me the 7 colors of rainbow (Just Kidding and i know Magenta is not one of the 7 colors of rainbow).

So Now what i did wrong? Because there is no documentation or anything that tells the basic setup.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  2. olix4242

olix4242

From a screenshot I think that I understand what is your problem.
    Your Unity says that it runs dx11 on dx10 graphics card. DX10 (or actually, dx9 cards) graphics cards aren't supported by Cscape. You said that you are using gtx1080ti, and this is hasn't any sense. I think that you are actually running Unity on integrated graphics card. That would explain also a bad performance that you are having.

3. HBK_

HBK_

Okay now maybe i know what the problem is...this guy also have same problem like me but 760 graphics card https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/229c5g/dx11_on_dx9_gpu/
    i'll try to find a way to fix this one and will get back to you and Thank You Unity,You Screwed Up.

4. HBK_

HBK_

https://imgur.com/a/nSuXEx7 here...Got it working.I Downloaded some earlier version of cscape (Version 0.9.5 Beta) and imported the street shader from that version and the streets were working again.
    I downloaded the earlier version which is i know illegal but i purchased your asset.If you have no problem with me using the older shader version from the older version which i basically pirated then i can use cscape in my game.
    If you allow me to use it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  5. HBK_

HBK_

yeah just saw it and didn't looked at it until you said.I installed new windows and the graphics driver screwed up a bit and then unity started using the wrong card so now i'll fix it after this project because i don't want more graphics card related problems.
    Thanks for helping.

6. olix4242

olix4242

I don't have any problem in using older version if you have a licence. But you will loose some of the functionality that is important for CScape. So I'm not suiggesting you to do that.
    I think that it's better for you to solve your gfx problem - otherwise you will have slow performance and you might have some other problems (and not only with CScape)
    How to solve it?
    1) Start Unity by right clicking on a Unity Icon, and choosing Run With Graphics processor - and here choose the o ne that isn't onboard GFX.
    2) Or Click on Desktop, open NVidia controll panel, and go to Manage 3D settings. Then select Program Settings, and insert Unity into Select a Program to customize. Then set it to use High performance Gfx card.

7. HBK_

HBK_

I am not using the older version.I downloaded the older version and replaced the older version's street shader with new one.
    that i have.

and thanks once again for helping.

8. HBK_

HBK_

Hi,Me Again.I just made an apk of my game which has default city and third person character with ui controls and thats it,For optimization i disabled POM,Use Graffiti And clicked on Optimize For Mobile Button.Baked The Occlusion Culling And Changed the LOD Settings in a way that when i get really close it should use the high poly model otherwise not and i am using Vulkan which is much faster than OpenGLES 3.0 and Your Cscape Asset Does not let me use the light baking so i have to stick with the Realtime Lighting Which i read that its a performance eater for mobile and should be avoided when making game for the mobile.
    So with all that basic settings That are required to get the best results,I am getting 10 - 28 FPS sometimes 7fps on Samsung Galaxy S9+.
    I made 2 projects,In 1 used the new cscape version with that black shader thing and the fps was still the same then i used that older version's street shader and the performance was still the same so there is no issue with me using the older version of shader which will cause that much low performance.
    So any suggestion how can i boost up the performance?
    And also what about lighting? Do i just have to drop the directional light in scene and just hope that its optimized for the mobile?

9. HBK_

HBK_

Okay i did some testing and found out that the POM is only disabled in Editor and in Android Build its again enabled and that is causing the low performance issue along with the device getting super hot after 1-2 minute of gameplay.Any Idea how can i fix that?

10. HBK_

HBK_

Update : I used that SetPOM Script that you gave on previous page (Page no. 27 or this thread which is this https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...uilding-generator.460380/page-27#post-4534012 ) and that script worked and POM is disabled but the performance is still the same.I made a new script which limits the frame rates to 30 fps but the game just doesn't even reach 25fps,Its that much horrible and the device gets pretty hot and battery also drains pretty fast.
    I am using the good graphics settings with no post processing and no pc like special things.

11. Suiheisen

Suiheisen

hello, is it allowed to use the asset for commercial purposes?

12. UndyingSpite

UndyingSpite

Hi, i'm using the latest version of CScape and Unity 2018.3.9f1
    When creating a mega city with default settings, i got this error multiple times:

MissingReferenceException: The variable meshOriginal of CSMaterialsAssign doesn't exist anymore.

Any Idea?
    Thx!

13. adhdchris

adhdchris

Which version's shader did you use? I have the same issue with black streets, though my streets turn black only after I actually build the project and remain black in the editor as well as the standalone build.
    It's super frustrating that @olix4242 refuses to include shaders that actually work on most graphics cards with the asset. Performance optimizations don't really matter if the streets are black...

14. HBK_

HBK_

It was 0.9.5 (Beta),you can only get this version from external sites and it works,just import the street shader only,nothing else.Hope That Will Help.

15. HBK_

HBK_

Hey Oliver,Are you going to provide any support or not? I am almost done,I've made the Third person system,weapon system,Pedestrian AI,Traffic AI,Complete Car system,Mission System and all that is left is City and i came upon your asset hoping that i will get good performance like you claim for mobile devices,i quickly purchased it and got struck by the black shader thing and after that i solved that somehow and made a city and now the performance that you claim is not as same in real life and i got S9+.
    I used the default city and dropped the third person character in the city and baked occlusion culling then clicked on Optimize for mobile button and then unticked the use graffiti and POM thing and applied that.i changed the quality setting to "Good" and have no Post Processing or any effect that can cause performance drop and i think that should be the most basic and low settings that i need to get some good performance But Wait There's more,

The FPS is rarely going 27 and mostly its in between 10-20 FPS.

The Device Get Super Hot,Hot like you cannot hold it in you hand type hot and that is after running the game for 30 seconds or less.

And FYI its S9+ and it has no defect in.I play PUBG at ULTRA Frame Rates And Highest Graphics and it works super fine and doesn't get much hot.

Now if you can help me then please reply because my project depends on it and i spended money on you product which you sell and you should be providing support for it.I know you are one man who has many things to do but its more than one week since i asked for help and you ignored that message like nothing ever happened.Come On Man,Your asset is great and it can do amazing things but you support is Terrible,Just Terrible.
    And a tip,in the asset Description You should write the system requirements like it used that shader so DXbla bla is required or use the other shader provided in THE Package and some more issues like performance should be fixed.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  16. adhdchris

adhdchris

Thanks for the quick reply @HBK_ !
    Everything works as it should now, but I doubt I'll be using CScape in a production build seeing that Oliver doesn't intend on fixing the underlying issues with this asset. CScape is an incredible proof of concept, but the overall quality is severely lacking. I'm getting array out of bounds and missing reference errors left and right, my MBP is running fans at full speed and still feels like it's gonna explode after 5 minutes of running a scene with just the city and no logic in the editor, and the shaders seem to crap out for no apparent reason... smh

17. olix4242

olix4242

Sorry for a wait, I'm on a working trip, with sparse internet connection, and didn't receive any messages about updates on this forum (for this reason, if you need a fast response, it's better to write to email support).
    As for optimizations, you should follow general rules that are required by your platform. It is impossible to tell much about what should be done, as you can create cities that are extremely large, or cities that are small and have different amount of details.
    Few rules for mobile:
    -Keep number of polygons as typicaly required by your device (and this means to keep your city size as required by your device)
    -Decativate POM mapping
    -Deactivate Anisotropic Textures in Quality Settings (this is mandatory) and can lead to really big performance boost.
    -Recompile textures so that they use smaller texture size (it's done via CS Material Tools script).
    -Depending on your case, you might try using a city without Organize Buildings. It could be faster on mobile in some cases if used with Occlusion baking.
    -Set smaller realtime shadow distance.

You should understand that this isn't any kind of a limit imposed by CScape. It is a limit on texture baking technology. It will work with CScape, but lightmap baking can't work efficiently with large surface area. Baking works on surface, and this means that what counts is a surface area in square units * pixel density of lightmaps. As any city surface expands in 3 dimensions - you will have extremely large surface area to lightmap. And this requires much of a memory for baking and storing textures. If you can't bake a city that uses CScape, then for sure, you can't bake similar size city made with any other tool.
    Realtime GI can be heavy for mobile and rules described abowe apply also for this task. But Realtime GI uses some more memory as a pixel denisty can be much lower.

Description states that it requires GLES 3.0. To be able to simulate full GLES 3.0 in editor you have to use Dx11 capable graphics card (this is a hardware limit, and isn't my decision or non willingness to support it). Actually, Unity itself requires DX11 graphics hardware. DX11 can use some older graphics cards, but only to some extent, as it runs in compatibility mode. If you don't have DX11 compatible hardware, some features of DX11 simply doesn't work (silently). I'm not mentioning this, as DX11 is a requirement by Unity Editor.

I think that Vulkan implementation is still in experimental stage in latest Unity 2019.1. But anyhow, Vulkan shouldn't give you any significant boost in rendering with CScape.

18. olix4242

olix4242

This error should be absolutely harmless and could happen sometimes when editor freaks out. It doesn't impact anything. It is only editor 'issue' and will not happen in build - so there is no need to worry about that. I can't fix it because I mostly can't reproduce it. If you give me some steps when this happens, I can eventuially track the issue.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  19. HBK_

HBK_

Hi Oliver,Let Me Surprise You.
    I have already done that,
    City Is Fairly Small Like There are 290 - 300 buildings.In Default city its more than 700.
    Anisotropic Textures is already set to Disabled.Here's my quality settings,Its almost near to fastest https://imgur.com/a/dAsMOZl
    Did the Recompiling of textures via CS Material Tools Script too.
    I already saw that Organize thing and instantly De-Organized The buildings,streets and then baked the occlusion culling and i also disabled Ads and Building Details So that the poly and tri count stays as low as possible.
    Shadow Distance is 45 which is not very high,In the picture the resolution of shadows is medium but i chosed Low Resolution while building and Instead of close fit i chose stable fit.

okay i understand but how do i increase performance and stop the overheating issue? Because there is nothing much left to optimize.
    Nope its not https://imgur.com/a/fr75hP3 .
    Don't know about Cscape But it gives a lot more boost to unity game over OpenGLES 3.0
    Below Is Taken From https://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/09/29/introducing-the-vulkan-renderer-preview/ When it was in preview.
    Maybe check this out These are small videos of less than 1 minute which shows the comparison between Vulkan And Open GLES :

Maybe try to implement the support for Vulkan in you future updates if you can it will definitely give boost to the Cscape's Performance on Mobiles.

I also tried using profiler and there was GFX.WaitForPresentTime which was causing the fps drop by eating 40 - 120 ms.I googled about it and didn't found any answer which can help.

That said,Now let me know what should i do to optimize the cscape scene and stop my device from overheating and get better performance.

20. HBK_

HBK_

yup me too.Because of the performance issue i don't think i can use it because the device gets super hot and thats after 30 seconds of gameplay and i don't think anyone will even try my game after release.
    Currently i am holding my review for the Cscape and will post my review on the asset page after the issues are fixed so that i should post my opinion after really trying every way possible to get the best performance out of it because the look and the city is stunning and the only thing that left is performance.

21. HBK_

HBK_

That sounds like you are pointing at Graphics API and pretty much everyone has Open GLES 3.0 and Metal In Unity.
    I know and i/nobody is blaming you,I just gave my opinion that you should put something like system requirements in description.Its more like a suggestion/Review to improve your product and service,Not a blame.Sorry if that sounded little bit rude.

22. olix4242

olix4242

Everyone has an option to set any existing API. But this hasn't anything to do with a capability of a target hardware. For example, even if Editor graphics card doesn't support DX11, you can still build for Andriod and GLES 3.0 and it won't show correctly in editor, but will show correctly in a build.

23. olix4242

olix4242

Vulkan reduces CPU usage (and not GPU usage). But Vulkan can't process shaders and so on - Cscape is extremely optimized for CPU usage so using Vulkan can hardly give any improovements.

24. olix4242

olix4242

Vulkan reduces CPU usage (and not GPU usage). But Vulkan can't process shaders and so on - Cscape is extremely optimized for CPU usage so usign a vulkan can hardly give any improovement.

25. olix4242

olix4242

One question: what is your rendering resolution on device? S9+ ahs a pretty high number of pixels. Are you rendering at full resolution?
    Also, are you using Deferred or Forward rendering?

26. olix4242

olix4242

What MBP? Running in editor or player?
    What problems do you have with shaders?
    I really need some info that can help me track those issues. A simple rant doesn't help without technical information. :(

27. HBK_

HBK_

I am using Forward Rendering.

S9+ has 3 Screen Resolutions.
    1. HD+ (1480 X 720)
    2. FHD+ (2220 X 1080)
    3. WQHD+ (2960 X 1440)

So my default resolution is FHD+ and i tried Cscape with FHD+ and the results were not good as i told earlier.

After you brought this i tried setting it to lowest resolution which was HD+ and here are the results,
    The temperature still rises and device get hot after 1.5 - 2 minutes but not so much hot.You can hold it but its still hot.
    The FPS was same,No Gain in performance.

That's it,Just some temperature cooling but the performance is still the same.I'll try to set the 1480 x 720 the default resolution of the game but that will just help a little because i have a city to populate with cars,peds,etc and i am trying to make them as optimized as possible by reducing poly count and using the same material for different objects and some batching,etc and i was expecting 40 - 50 fps from the city itself so i can cap it to 30 fps and then use the rest of the power for these things.
    Any suggestion for further optimization?

28. olix4242

olix4242

I would try to switch to Defered. When testing, I've used to have much better performance with Defered when dealing with large cities.
    Another thing, if you can test it for me:
    -if you look away of buildings (in sky or at terrain), is your framerate still low and what improovements do you have (if you have any)?

29. olix4242

olix4242

I have tested just now my s8, without using Cscape and just an empty project/scene. I can get max 30fps even with an empty scene.

30. olix4242

olix4242

Can you please check one another thing: switch a shaders from CScape Building and CScape street into a standard shader. You wont get textures, but for test it can be usefull: and look at your performance and how does it improove?

31. HBK_

HBK_

Yeah the frame rate increases like it goes from 20 fps to 40 or more when i am looking at ground/player's feet.

tried and not working,Performance is even worst.

32. HBK_

HBK_

That helped the fps a lot,It went from 20 fps to 120 and sometimes 150 fps with just replacing the MegaCity Shader.

33. HBK_

HBK_

Hear me out.I made a new project and imported the Cscape 0.9.5 (Beta) and made a city and dropped the third person character in it and believe me the fps was above 80 in the editor with occlusion culling baked and Also baked lighting.That felt like what you've promised about the Cscape was true.The city was stunning and performance was just top notch but when i tried to build it for the android it gave me 276 errors https://imgur.com/a/3DLzMK1 . If you can help me sort this out then i need no more help cuz the performance and quality of the earlier version is just awesome.I know that i will loose some functions of latest and greatest cscape version but the earlier version suits my needs more than the latest.If you can help me with this then please.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  34. olix4242

olix4242

At the moment I can't get my hands on that version. Can you upload it to Wetransfer, and sent to my email? My mail is: olix@iol.it
    I can check from where those errors are coming..

35. HBK_

HBK_

Just did,Take a look at your mail and let me know if you got it or not.

olix4242 likes this.
  36. olix4242

olix4242

HBK_ likes this.
  37. HBK_

HBK_

Thank You So Much For Quick Support (Can't Believe I'm Saying This),Its Working and i am getting stable 48 - 53 fps on S9+ with FHD+ (2220 X 1080) Resolution and the best part is that it doesn't Heat up.
    First with just 30 seconds of gameplay it started to heat up but now i tried the scene for almost 5 minutes and i am also living near the sun so the normal temps right now is 42 - 43 Celsius and after 5 minutes of running the scene the device temps were just above normal which is very acceptable because the quality of the city looks like pc quality and its on my phone.
    Almost all of my issues are fixed and will post my review on asset store after making the city alive with people,cars and other things and will let you know the performance and other stuff after populating the city.
    For those of you who didn't get what i did,I used the older version of Cscape 0.9.5 (Beta) and That version is just so fast that i get almost 80 fps in editor at 1280 x 1080 resolution and there was a problem with building for android and Oliver fixed it with a script patch so huge thanks to him and now i have a well optimized and awesome looking city.

One more thing in the latest version if you click on ads or streets or details parent object where the Organize and de-organize script it attached and click on De-Organize and then click Organize again everything disappeared and the child objects gets destroyed,Even after refreshing the city it doesn't come back or anything.It doesn't happen with buildings.

olix4242 likes this.
  38. olix4242

olix4242

Those scripts actually should be used only when dealing with final export - and yes, you loose complete editing possibilities once done on objects other than buildings or streets. This is because all objects are linked by scripts, and by merging them, you loose those links. This feature is destructive.
    But in reality, there is no real need to use it. Unifying Buildings have it's performance benefits, mostly in Unity editor. all other objects are LODs, so merging them will always lead to worst performance.
    Real usage of this ability is when working on small environments, to be able to export them as single meshes.

39. HBK_

HBK_

What i meant was that the object for example if i clicked on streets details and click on de-organize and then again click on organize then all the street details get destroyed from the child and also from the scene,Like you deleted them.Its not getting merged or anything its getting deleted from the scene.I did this with street and then i had city with no streets.That seems like a bug to me.

40. blacksun666

blacksun666

@olix4242 reading the above it looks like @HBK_ and others have issues with the latest version and have had to go back to an earlier version which you've supplied a fix for. Are there plans to fix their original problems with the current release?

adhdchris likes this.
  41. olix4242

olix4242

JBR-games and blacksun666 like this.
  42. olix4242

olix4242

Working on a new features for CScape.
    This one is a freeshape modelling object, that can help in making complex building shapes. Essentially, you can draw any building floor plan for your levels by moving points. Video speaks more by itself.

magique, HBK_, JBR-games and 6 others like this.
  43. Testmobile

Testmobile

Looks fantastic!
    Hey Oli, it's been a while since i last used CScape and the new look just blew my mind but i got a question here, whenever i stop the editor i get a bunch of missing components and unassigned references.
    I understand that it could have been something that was in use when it got destroyed, is that non issue or it could crash my game when i change a level or something!? Screenshot 2019-07-19 23.19.55.png

44. olix4242

olix4242

Those errors are completely harmless as they happen only on editor scripts in a phase of scene loading (and they doesn't get compiled on runtime).

JBR-games and Testmobile like this.
  45. buc

buc

OMG, this is a fantastic feature:)

Since I'm working on a CScape addon for "snaky" european cities with automatic alignment to easyroads, im curious about this: In the video a mesh-face changes for example from 2 windows to 3 windows. Is this done automatically by the shader or does this need special uv-handling?
    And now the question all customer love and the developer "loves": is there any eta?

46. olix4242

olix4242

All UV's are handled automatically in this new procedural buldings generator. Floor plans has to be set manually (visually in editor, or by providing array of 2d points via script - this should simplyfy usage with scripting like getting data from OSM).
    I plan to finish first stage of this modeller in few days. I will share it here so if anyone wants to start scripting and playing it - can start to do so.
    Later I will do some expanding of it's possibilities (before including it officially into CScape).

buc, JBR-games and Testmobile like this.
  47. olix4242

olix4242

As you all probably know I'm working on a new version of CScape 2.0 that will add some important features and much better flexibility.
    As Unity version 2019.2 is released, I was thinking about dropping out a support for Unity 2018. This will free some time for developement and let me implement support for HDRP that is becoming more stable. Should I do this or no?

48. hopeful

hopeful

I think 2018 LTS should be supported, as it is a stable release, though maybe not with all features. I wouldn't want to prevent work on future CScape compatibility.

My impression is that there's still changes coming for HDRP and LW.

49. buc

buc

From my own experience: when the release date is 6 month and closer you realy like to stay with one version, because in a bigger project it can be a massive problem to hop to another editor version. I had over 8 month no editor version which could run all needed assets, packages etc., and had to work with 3 different versions to get the job done (and downgrading a project because you need it in another engine version is just a nightmare).
    But as long as the older packages are somehow accessable, I would prefer to drop compatibility with older versions, because a "in general it would be better to support older versions" sounds good, but in reality the second part "that the features come" is missing, because the part that sounds good, just blocks the development.
    Maybe adding the features first to the newer versions and later to the older ones would be a compromise.

But this needs to have more different thoughts to get a full picture of the needs.

50. blacksun666

blacksun666

so many people and developers are having trouble with the 2019 series of releases with their optional/preview packages. This is especially true of the HDRP packages which seem to alter their apis with each update. I'd really appreciate continued support for the current LTS version.