Search Unity

Official **READ ME FIRST** Troubleshooting connection/loading project issues with Package Manager

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by samuelb_unity, Apr 16, 2020.

1. ronateds

ronateds

It worked for me using CCleaner
    Download this program -> run -> go to Registry -> Scan for issues - fix selected issues

unitysolving.jpg

Actually, It started having the same problem, but I noticed that when I minimize my browser my project opens.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  2. lrb

lrb

Can't use Unity anymore here for the past 24h! Tried in four different computers, three different networks, also tried this Firewall settings, no proxy at all, no changes on system or networks, just stoped working!

Attached Files:

3. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @lrb, your problem seems to be different from the one usually reported in this thread, according to the diagnostic report Unity and Package Manager communicate in your case. Can you provide the logs (Editor.log and upm.log) after opening your project in Unity? To gather these files, please refer to the Log files section in Unity User Manual (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html)

Keep in mind that the logs are written every time there is a successfully launch. If you run the diagnostic tool, the Package Manager will be ran, and upm.log will be written again.

Any other information about your project in particular will be useful: if you have scope registries, git dependencies, and such. If it fails in all the Unity versions you have installed (which ones have you tried), if the problem started after you upgraded Unity.

4. DhrU-nity

DhrU-nity

This guy in the link says that this might be a peoblem with the windows build version,Update it to the latest verion,
    https://forum.unity.com/members/lord_padriac.5371952/

5. bgrah-so

bgrah-so

This problem (Editor won't open after starting it from hub. It would just silently close midway loading.) happened to me few weeks ago, at that time it was fixed by installing a different version -> from 2019.4.1f1 to 2019.4.2f1. But this time i have no update available (i'm at 2019.4.6f1, hub at 2.3.2). I tried uninstalling editor and reinstalling, but there is no difference. I am able to open a new project.

I ump.log i get
    [ERROR] [Unity Package Manager (Upm)]

Another strange thing that was happening is that from time to time after recompiling, editor would start throwing errors that
    UnityEngine.UI
    is missing. Reimporting assets helped sometimes, sometimes restarts helped. This happened also yesterday. I tried to restart the editor, but it didn't open anymore.

I'm really stuck here, we have an app in production and have a lot of work to do. @supitaUnity if you need any other logs, or have some ideas how to fix this, let me know. Thanks.

Edit:
    Deleting folders
    /Library
    obj
    and
    Temp
    fixed the problem for me now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  6. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello @bgrah-so,

Thanks for reporting this and providing the logs. Happy to see you found a solution. This seems to be a problem with the Unity editor, not in particular from the Package Manager: Unity is crashing, and in the cleaning process it is terminating the Package Manager process, that's what is logged in the `upm.log`. Also, Package Manager server is able to run, and it is able to connect with Unity.

Now, the problem with Unity, as you mentioned seems to be caused by
    UnityEngine.UI
    as per your Editor.log, but I'm not sure what the source is. By deleting the
    /Library
    folder, you flush the cache and it seems you fix your problem. In the manual it states that this folder should not be changed by the user nor included in the version control system, not sure if that's the impacting you (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/AssetWorkflow.html)

Cheers

bgrah-so likes this.
  7. bgrah-so

bgrah-so

Thanks for a good explanation to my problem @supitaUnity ! It makes sense :)
    And yes, we don't touch
    /Library
    folder manually nor include it in version control.

8. SpadilleIndustries

SpadilleIndustries

I'm having the same issue, nothing works.

And worst part of all I need to update my game, it's so bad that one of the app stores took it down. I know what's wrong and how to fix it, but can't open the project.

Attached Files:

mahmoud93p likes this.
  9. mahmoud93p

mahmoud93p

Like me, i have macOS

Can you anyone tell where is support ?!
    I have paid version !!!!

10. razzminkelvin

razzminkelvin

I had this problem (unity2020.1) and i was only able to start the editor by using the method below. it would be annoying to have to use the command prompt each time i want to use the editor, please i need a fix.

Blocked Ports & Timeout Suggestions

Some users have reported that Unity is not able to start communicating with Package Manager in the allotted 10 seconds that we allow during startup. To find out whether this is happening, you can try starting Package Manager manually and then connecting to Unity. In a terminal or command prompt, run the following:

Windows
    <path-to-unity-installation-dir>\Data\Resources\PackageManager\Server\UnityPackageManager.exe

Mac
    <path-to-unity-installation-dir>/Unity.app/Contents/Resources/PackageManager/Server/UnityPackageManager

By default, this will start Package Manager on port 10010. You can also specify your own port with
    -p
    e.g:

UnityPackageManager -p 3000

Now that Package Manager is running, try browsing to http://localhost:10010/health (replacing 10010 with your own port number if needed) to check that Package Manager is responding.

Finally, you can tell Unity to connect to your instance of Package Manager by running the following command:

Windows
    <path-to-unity-installation-dir>\Unity.exe -upmServerPort 10010

Mac
    <path-to-unity-installation-dir>/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity -upmServerPort 10010

Make sure to replace 10010 with your own port number if you set one.

quarksrule likes this.
  11. razzminkelvin

razzminkelvin

i later wrote batch code to automate the process of opening the two applications with command line. this reduces the stress for me

12. ShimmyDev

ShimmyDev

I have another issue:

Code (CSharp):
    1. ❓ UPM health check (UNKNOWN)
    2. Start the UPM process and call its health endpoint
    3. >> Could not find UPM executable at path '/Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2020.1.3f1/Unity.app/Contents/Resources/PackageManager/Server/UnityPackageManager'
    Mac OS Catalina 10.15.6
    Unity 2020.1.3f1

13. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

It seems that you have an incomplete Unity installation as you are missing (at least) UnityPackageManager application. It could also be the result of the action of an antivirus or any external software removing/quarantining UnityPackageManager application.

In any case, this should be solved by reinstalling Unity through the Hub. Make sure you don't quit the application while installing through the hub and the installation completes successfully.

Did you see a dialog with the error stating that Unity Package Manager local server application was missing while launching Unity? We worked on improving the error message for the scenario that you are on, and the change was part of 2020.1.2f1, I see you were trying 2020.1.3f1

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  14. jariwake

jariwake

Hi. I noticed that some packages are missing from the package manager listing in the latest Unity (2020.1.3f1). I made thread about it in Graphics section (because I was looking for Vector Graphics package and it was missing) before reaslizing there is a forum section for the package manager was well:

Heres a link to the thread with more info about the problem: https://forum.unity.com/threads/vec...manager-with-preview-packages-visible.957845/

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

I have same issue, Unity does not work and is stuck. Internet works, so i cant understand why Unity would not work.

I have lost all day trying, nothing works.

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

Please let us know when will be the soonest we can work with Unity again, change anything that creates the problem to something that works and please let us know when we can resume working.

I dont want to handle network problems, just work with Unity.

17. jfperusse_bhvr

jfperusse_bhvr

Hi,

For us, the issue occurs randomly, and we just realized that it is happening when the UnityPackageManager fails to start with all the ports tried by Unity.

Error: listen EACCES: permission denied 127.0.0.1:xxxxx

Out of curiosity, how are those ports selected by Unity?

Our workaround will likely be to enforce specific ports which we know work when launching Unity, but maybe Unity should look for UnityPackageManager errors and try different ranges when permission denied errors are encountered?

18. nasos_333

nasos_333

Now it does not work in my home network even !!!!

Is there anyone doing anything about it ? We cant work at all now, this is crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. jsutph14

jsutph14

Having the same issues. I turned off my firewall and anti-virus and it hasn't had any positive result. I have tried all solutions above with no effect. The only Unity engine that works for me is 2018.4.26f1. Anything above that, all the way to 2020.1.2f.1, is not working and presents the same error. PLEASE HELP! My classes are starting soon and I would like to be using an up-to-date version of unity.

Picachucho likes this.
  20. Picachucho

Picachucho

¨Thank you for your patience and understanding. We will continue to keep this post up-to-date with the latest findings around this issue¨ I have no patience right now, my Unity doesn´t work, nothing, I have to do a proyect and I can´t because of this problem, it´s incredible that you can´t fix this issue, it´s September 5, and you don´t give us a solution yet, please if someone can help me i will apreciate that.

21. Gamerboygaming

Gamerboygaming

Yeah, nothing this thread has said has helped. I'm at a loss at this point.
    Edit: Opening Unity Hub instead of Unity worked, but pretty much all my assets are gone. Thankfully my scripts are fine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  22. Sourav-03

Sourav-03

Have been trying to solve this issue from last few days, nothing is working for me.

Attached Files:

23. Sang_0

Sang_0

I could not import Vuforia package from Unity asset/manually. When I tried to import the package into Unity, after some normal steps, Unity asked me to upgrade the package to the newest vision. If I choose to update, the program stucks by resolving package. If I don't, some scripts will be missing, some other can not be loaded.
    I tried many solutions i found in Internet but not successed.
    Today I import the Visual Studio configuration from a other computer, in which i can import Vuforia package. And then the problem has gone.
    I don't know exactly how, but maybe it's worth a try.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iNVUGhfwyEy7RbzRYoVLf7fNu8jgmUMB/view?usp=sharing

24. stupidrobot7896

stupidrobot7896

Didn’t work

25. arsheikh665

arsheikh665

UPM health check (FAIL), this issue maybe becomes when any web server(like node.js, xampp or etc) is working on back.
    So before start to use "unity editor" you must have to stop your web server first.

26. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is there any news on solution to this issue ?

Also why 127.0.0.1 ip is used ? Seems like a very common ip that could conflict with many things, why not use something different ? Or another way to communicate with the server as well altogether locally.

27. JomaLeo

JomaLeo

I was so excited learning Unity I purchased the bundle and watched the video, but the package manager download didn't work. I tried following all the instructions in this thread, but nothing works. Please help I'm stacked in this error.

Attached Files:

28. JomaLeo

JomaLeo

Looks like nothing will happen, should I uninstall Unity and forget about the purchased I made from you? I tried it in different computers and Mac too, but the problem is still the same I could not download the asset that I purchased from you. I think I'm losing my interest.

29. Yanosh_

Yanosh_

I solved the issue by closing all other applications (including Skype, browsers)

30. nathansisler

nathansisler

My Unity was opening fine. I did some disk cleanup processes and now this.

31. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Has this been fixed, because i cant access the asset store, all my assets that bought (over $1000) are gone!

The asset store is not accessible from Unity.

Im using Unity 2020.1.2

32. cunod

cunod

The apostrophe in the dir path was it! I can't believe it. I read past that multiple times before seeing it.

33. ilovezevran

ilovezevran

Oh, I have a serious problem with unity (version 2019.4.11 f), I have been suffering for several days. There were no new installations or changes in the system during this time, but unity projects refuse to start with an error : "Could not establish a connection with the Unity Package Manager local server process. "(most often) , then with an error : "Can't connect to the Unity Package Manager local server". I try a lot of things from different forums and messages. Firewall settings (and disabling it completely), adding an environment variable, deleting different folders. I tried to reinstall unity several times, and this version, and a slightly older version (version 2019.3.0), reinstalled UnityHub. Sometimes, for some unknown reason (this was especially common when I tried to launch a project with "-noupm"), the project can start, but instead of the usual screen appears pink and black, which then becomes completely black and I can only click something blindly.
    Please tell me what I can do to solve this problem? Thank you.Have a nice day.

34. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

Have you tried manually launching Package Manager as suggested under the section Blocked Ports & Timeout Suggestions and checking if you can access from the browser http://localhost:10010/health ? Can you try installing 2019.4.12f instead?

35. ilovezevran

ilovezevran

http://localhost:10010/health returns the following message: "{"status":"OK","node Version":"v12.2.0","upmVersion":"v3.14.1"}"
    Version 2019.4.12 f was installed in one of the attempts, the problem was the same.
    I'm also trying to launch unity via the command line using «-enablePackageManagerTraces» . In this case, unity starts, but it becomes a black screen completely and in the Editor. log file there is an entry "Shader compiler not found: <Path>/UnityShaderCompiler.exe" and I can't figure out how to fix it. Along the way ...\Unity Editor\Editor\Data\Resources\PackageManager\Editor there are a lot of tgz archives, I saw a message about this on the forum, but I don't know what to do in this situation.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  36. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

When you are able to launch from the command line the Package Manager, and you are able to get the response as you mentioned before in the browser from http://localhost:10010/health, are you able to launch Unity using the correct server port?

<path-to-unity-installation-dir>\Unity.exe -upmServerPort 10010

I think you are having several issues at the same time: the connectivity problem between the Package Manager and Unity, the Shader Compiler issue, I'm not sure if they are all related. It seems that you are able to launch Unity from the command line bypassing the connectivity problem, but still hit a wall with other subsequent issues. Is the Shader Compiler application in the path the error in the Editor.log states?

I would recommend you to submit a bug with as much detail as possible: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

37. Deviamadev

Deviamadev

Hello People, I'm working on a video game and on my 3rd or 4th day of working on it i got an error and it doesn't work anymore :(

Attached Files:

38. xiangxin72

xiangxin72

Unity Hub 2.4.1 with Editor 2019.4.12f1 here, on Mac 10.15.5.
    • same issue when launching project
    • diagnose log shows: "Server started but did not respond to health requests"
    • I can manually start 'UnityPackageManager' in CLI, waited for ~120 seconds, then 'http://127.0.0.1:10010/health' is accessible and showing: {"status":"OK","nodeVersion":"v12.2.0","upmVersion":"v3.14.1"}
    • Launched Unity with -upmServerPort 10010, which opened Unity Hub, clicked the project which opens up Unity ==> still failed with same Package Manager Error: "Could not establish a connection with the Unity Package Manager local server process. This is most likely due to a proxy or firewall configuration. Make sure the process [/Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.4.12f1/Unity.app/Contents/Resources/PackageManager/Server/UnityPackageManager] is reachable via HTTP on the IP address 127.0.0.1."
    • 127.0.0.1:10010/health is accessible fine the whole time

I think it's just need to take longer:
    • when the package manager error pop up is shown, do not click any button yet
    • use terminal to show unity package manager is running on a random port
    • waited for 120 seconds and visit localhost:<port-from-cli>/health, and I can see the health info fine
    • But clicking any button on the pop-up window would relaunch the package manager hence goes into same failure loop again. So if it can just 'retry using same port number', I guess it would work as a mitigation

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  39. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

Could you share your Editor.log and upm.log? If 127.0.0.1:10010/health is accesible from the browser, launching Unity from the terminal with -upmServerPort 10010 should work as well

40. larock01

larock01

Did not work for me.

upm-dialog:

[2020-10-25T14:59:24.808Z][INFO] Opened report file 'C:\ProgramData\Unity\UnityPackageManagerDiagnostics\diagnostic_report_25_10_2020_115924,44.txt'
    [2020-10-25T14:59:24.809Z][INFO] Starting diagnostics
    [2020-10-25T14:59:24.810Z][INFO][UpmRegistryReachable] Sending HEAD request to https://packages.unity.com
    [2020-10-25T14:59:25.705Z][INFO][PingUpmRegistry] Starting ping test on 'http://packages.unity.com/com.unity.package-manager.metadata'
    [2020-10-25T14:59:31.050Z][INFO][PingUpmDownload] Starting ping test on 'http://download.packages.unity.com/.../com.unity.package-manager.metadata-0.0.1.tgz'
    [2020-10-25T14:59:37.053Z][INFO][UpmRegistryDownloadSpeed] Starting speed test with UPM registry
    [2020-10-25T14:59:47.876Z][INFO][UpmRegistryDownloadSpeed] Download: 11.08 Megabits per second
    [2020-10-25T14:59:47.878Z][INFO][Speedtest.Net] Starting speed test with Speedtest.net
    [2020-10-25T14:59:59.039Z][INFO][Speedtest.Net] Download: 10.72 Megabits per second
    [2020-10-25T14:59:59.039Z][INFO][Speedtest.Net] Upload: 9.07 Megabits per second
    [2020-10-25T14:59:59.045Z][INFO][UpmHealthCheck] Starting health check
    [2020-10-25T15:00:00.052Z][INFO] Finished diagnostics
    [2020-10-25T15:00:00.055Z][INFO] Created report at 'C:\ProgramData\Unity\UnityPackageManagerDiagnostics\diagnostic_report_25_10_2020_115924,44.txt'

Attached Files:

41. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

can you share your upm.log please? my previous post that you quoted was a reply to the error "Could not find UPM executable at path...", the error that you have is not the same.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  42. AIParanavithana

AIParanavithana

× Making an HTTP request to the UPM package registry...
    × Measuring the latency of the UPM package registry API...
    × Measuring the latency of the UPM package download endpoint...
    × Testing the Internet connection using the UPM package registry...
    × Testing the Internet connection using Speedtest.net...
    √ Detecting whether proxy-related environment variables are set...
    √ Running the UPM health check...

43. AIParanavithana

AIParanavithana

❌ UPM registry reachable (FAIL)
    Make an HTTP request to the UPM package registry
    >> Connection error.

❌ Ping UPM registry (FAIL)
    Measure the latency of the UPM package registry API
    >> No successful pings could be made in 5.668 seconds (2 failed)

❌ Ping UPM download (FAIL)
    Measure the latency of the UPM package download endpoint
    >> No successful pings could be made in 6.148 seconds (2 failed)

❌ UPM registry download speed (FAIL)
    Test the Internet connection using the UPM package registry
    >> Connection error.

❌ Speedtest.net (FAIL)
    Test the Internet connection using Speedtest.net
    >> Connection error.

44. AIParanavithana

AIParanavithana

please help me to solve this problem.

45. retrakker

retrakker

Here are my 2ct in the discussion. I'm on Arch Linux and with a recent update things went haywire similar to what is described above. The problems seems to be in the network access on localhost as in the Diagnostics only the UPM health check fails.

```
    [hartmut@homeworkstation ~]$ /opt/UnityLts/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/Server/UnityPackageManager -p 3000
    Failed to start server: Error: getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND localhost
    [Unity Package Manager (Upm)]
    Application terminated due to an uncaught exception:
    Error: getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND localhost
    [hartmut@homeworkstation ~]$ ping localhost
    PING localhost(localhost :):1)) 56 data bytes
    ```

46. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, I'm sorry to see you are having this problem. Could you double check if you have in the file
    /etc/hosts
    this line
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    . Adding that line should fix the issue.

47. AIParanavithana

AIParanavithana

Unity Package Manager Diagnostics (v0.1.5)
    ============
    Ran 7 checks
    ============
    2 succeeded
    5 failed
    ============
    ❌ UPM registry reachable (FAIL)
    Make an HTTP request to the UPM package registry
    >> Connection error.

❌ Ping UPM registry (FAIL)
    Measure the latency of the UPM package registry API
    >> No successful pings could be made in 6.344 seconds (3 failed)

❌ Ping UPM download (FAIL)
    Measure the latency of the UPM package download endpoint
    >> No successful pings could be made in 6.541 seconds (3 failed)

❌ UPM registry download speed (FAIL)
    Test the Internet connection using the UPM package registry
    >> Connection error.

❌ Speedtest.net (FAIL)
    Test the Internet connection using Speedtest.net
    >> Connection error.

✅ HTTP proxy environment variables (PASS)
    Detect whether proxy-related environment variables are set (HTTP_PROXY, HTTPS_PROXY, ALL_PROXY, NO_PROXY, UNITY_PROXYSERVER, UNITY_NOPROXY)
    >> Proxy support has been configured through the following environment variables:
    >> UNITY_NOPROXY = localhost,127.0.0.1

✅ UPM health check (PASS)
    Start the UPM process and call its health endpoint
    >> Server start duration: 1078.00 ms
    >> Server response duration: 646.02 ms
    >> Server response:
    >> {"status":"OK","nodeVersion":"v12.2.0","upmVersion":"v3.12.0"}

hello,

this is my Unity Package Manager Diagnostics report.

I've been trying to log into my Unity account through Unity Hub and the Unity Editor, but it won't let me. Sometimes I get a message saying "The server is currently unresponsive" even after I correctly enter my login information on Unity Hub.

The only way for me to log in is through Chrome, and I can't do much with the editor or hub because it requires you to sign in to those to access assets and such.

I'm using Unity Hub 2.4.2, Unity Editor 2020.1.1f1 (64-bit), and Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

thank you!

TheWox likes this.
  48. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

There seems to be some kind of connectivity issue on your side, as all the test to validate connection with our registry fails, but even testing your internet connection fails (Speedtest.net). Are you behind some proxy? It seems you have some proxy/firewall misconfiguration affecting you

49. retrakker

retrakker

Thanks for the quick reply. Indeed this fixed it. Did you guys by chance updated WebPack internally?

50. cookies13

cookies13

I see a lot of people on Mac who still have this issue, and I just wanted to share what fixed it for me. I had tried every suggestion on various threads and guides, but thanks to the latest couple of replies in this thread, it's now solved. To reiterate what was said above:

With hidden files visible, go to "Macintosh HD/private/etc". Open the file "hosts" with a text editor. Add the line "127.0.0.1 localhost". Save, and try to open a unity project. The package manager will run.

FWIW I noticed I have two "hosts" files in the /etc directory. One of them is filled with entries by adobe and the other was blank.

Loopik likes this.