Search Unity

Projects title in Unity Hub 2.0 (UI/UX issue)

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by allebrandt, Jun 8, 2019.

1. allebrandt

allebrandt

Hello,

I'm experiencing a UI/UX issue with Unity Hub 2.
    All my projects on Github use the same folder's standard, something like this...

[project-repository-name]
    /art/
    /documentation/
    /materials/
    /unity/

I'm working on a project where each map is in a different repository, and I like to keep the project folder's name the same across the different repository for better organization.
    The problem is that Unity Hub 2.0 shows the name of the folder as the project's title on the Projects list, and in my case, all titles are just "unity".
    In the Unity Hub 1.0 this wasn't too bad because I was able to see the entire project's path and I could distinguish different projects this way, but now the UI space for the project's path is smaller and I can't see it completely, so I have no way to know which project I want to open.

unity-hub-titles-issue.jpg

With that in mind, I would like to suggest a few things that I believe could solve the problem above...

1) Add an option under Preferences to show the "Product Name" value defined under "Project Settings/Player" on the Unity project as the title instead of the folder name;
    2) Make the window wider to have more space for the project's path on the disk;
    3) Show a hint with the full path of the project when the cursor stays over the path label in case the winder window still not enough for some users due to longer project paths.

In case there is already some way to show a different title for the project on the Hub 2.0 list of projects without having to rename all my project's folders, please let me know, I couldn't find any solutions for my problem...

Noisecrime and nandovilla like this.
  2. eduardo-pons

eduardo-pons

Agree, at least giving a field to name the whole project, like a title, and using it in HUB would be ideal!

3. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions.
    Actually, we are discussing how to address this issue, and I will share your suggestions with our produce and ux team.
    Best,
    Afshin

Loventropy and nandovilla like this.
  4. nandovilla

nandovilla

April 2020 - bump

5. tj42

tj42

This would be huge. Right now I have a list of 8 projects all called 'client' and I have to mouse hover over them to tell them apart.

And renaming the folder on a per-project basis isn't an option, they're all different streams under source control.

6. mikelortega

mikelortega

I've posted a possible solution for Windows users, using NTFS Directory Links, in this thread.

allebrandt likes this.
  7. allebrandt

allebrandt

Thanks for sharing this @mikelortega , this seems to work very well!

8. Sailendu

Sailendu

Please consider adding this feature, I need to be able to change the project title without renaming the folder itself.

9. allebrandt

allebrandt

@Sailendu, unfortunately, this is a very old request that hasn't been attended so far...
    The workaround suggested by @mikelortega above solved the problem for me for now...

10. Sailendu

Sailendu

Actually the workaround is only for Windows, but I am on Mac, so I hope Unity officially consider adding this feature.
    Also there is a product board thing in this page, but that idea is about renaming the folder itself, which kind of defeats the purpose of the request in this thread, but I have no idea which one they will implement.

mikelortega and allebrandt like this.