Search Unity

Feature Req: Use Project Title from Unity Project

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by mcarriere, Jul 11, 2018.

1. mcarriere

mcarriere

A bit of context before I dive into this otherwise simple request:

Like many teams, we have a lot of projects going on at once. We have developed an internal convention that there is an additional top-level folder that contains our Unity project, along with any files that we want to keep in version control, but otherwise outside of our Unity project.

This has lead to a standard of every single one of our projects containing a "Unity" folder and our project picker (either from Unity Hub or Unity itself) as showing a stream of "Unity", "Unity", "Unity", "Unity", "Unity"... in the list.

Granted, you can look at the folder path to determine which project is which, but it's definitely not as easy as it could be. Additionally, this also makes the MenuItem project list (which would be super useful) completely useless with this setup.

Since you're already pulling from a separate file to grab the Unity Project Version and displaying it in the project list, could you please also grab the unity "Project Name" from the Player Settings and display that instead, rather than assuming that the folder containing the Unity Project is a desired "Project Name"?

2. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @mcarriere ,
    This request is already in our plan on the Hub, although it is still too early to know when it will be available.
    Hope this info helps, and stay tune!
    Joe

mcarriere likes this.
  3. mcarriere

mcarriere

upload_2019-5-14_7-23-28.png

I would like to bring this thread back up, along with a screenshot of what the latest Hub looks like without this feature. This has been a _huge_ step backwards for folks with standard organization around their projects where Unity is not the top level folder for the project.

Our project organization is something akin to this:

Code (csharp):
    1. ProjectName/
    2.    Documentation/
    3.    Tools/
    4.    Unity/

TofaPT, mikelortega, andymads and 3 others like this.
  4. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

I would even extend this request to allow to give/edit a nickname or meta-name to the project in the Hub only.

As I also keep clones of the same project to easily perform batch multi-platform builds in parallel, I would like to have a name that indicates the platform or more info about it.

5. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

I will try my best to bring this back on the table for re-evaluating priority.

TofaPT likes this.
  6. jeslinger

jeslinger

This is an absolute must have feature. Not having context of which project I'm opening up is a terrible user experience. At least the last version had the paths in a convenient place to where you could at least use that for context. Downgrading until this gets resolved.

7. andymads

andymads

@joeksy can you provide a link to an older version of the Hub as 2.0 is not nice to use atm?

8. jonas_68432168

jonas_68432168

2.0 looks nice, but I'll also wish for an option to differentiate the identically named projects (toggle showing the foldername again at least)

9. mikelortega

mikelortega

I have exactly the same problem @mcarriere mentions. In my case, all folders for different projects have the same name, so showing the path is a must. Right now the only option I have is moving the mouse to read the tooltip for each project or open as a new project.

10. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

I am sorry that I cannot provide a downgrade.
    On the other hand, we have this issue as a priority.
    Once again, sorry for the inconvenience.

11. allebrandt

allebrandt

12. Please don't bump every single thread about the issue, it's considered spam. They said they're working on it. The one thread you newly created on it is more than enough, I think..

13. BradZoob

BradZoob

this is weird, is everything ok over there? almost 2 years is a long time to stall on something as basic as a cosmetic UI update.

14. allebrandt

allebrandt

Bump December 2020...

15. mikelortega

mikelortega

I've found a solution in Windows, using NTFS Directory Junctions. The command "mklink /J" creates a directory that links the Unity project. The new directory is just a link, the contents don't change and saving saves on the original path.

mklink /J "New Project Name" Unity

Then open the new folder with the Hub. It will show the new project name in the Hub and the titlebar of the editor.

allebrandt likes this.
  16. mgear

mgear

in the meanwhile, other alternatives too:

if you are on windows,
    can use custom launcher with rename tool (F2),
    title is saved into ProjectSettings/ProjectName.txt so it can be committed to git.

optionally can use ProductName from player settings as project listing title:
    upload_2023-1-27_11-11-42.png

mikelortega likes this.
  17. mikelortega

mikelortega

Some advantages of using Directory Junctions is that it will show the new project name in the editor title bat and when connecting the Visual Studio debuger.

18. Orion

Orion

I can't believe this has still not been implemented in the Hub. It's the single one thing I've been waiting for since the very first version of the Hub and as a developer, I can't believe it's more than a few hours of work to implement on Unity's end.

It's nice to have a workaround, but I really don't want to mess with linked folders.

19. Sailendu

Sailendu

@joeksy is it still in the plans after more than 4 years? Or we should move on with life accepting the fact that we would not be able to rename the project title anytime soon? I feel like this is not a very big feature that can take more than 4 years to implement. I am frustrated of waiting for so long. Please let us know something about this.