Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Private Lobby to public

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Skeledurr, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Skeledurr

Skeledurr

Hi everyone!

I wanted to build a lobby that allows users to invite friends across the network to the lobby. Once everyone is ready the lobby would then enter an automated matchmaking process which would find the remaining players to fill the last slots. Most of this is not a problem, it's only the process of making my lobby switch from private to public.

I thought the best approach would be to create a match and set matchAdvertise to false while in the private lobby. But I couldn't work out how to allow the match to be advertised again when I want to find my remaining players.

I then thought to create a private lobby but I couldn't work out how to then add that lobby / players to the matchmaking pool.

I have looked at the tanks networking sample and I am digging around the documentation, but I can't seem to find the best practice for this. Am I approaching this all wrong? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should approach this?

Thanks!