Search Unity

Memory Profiling - tracked a memory leak to a blank Native Object Name

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by mattbrandmm, Sep 22, 2020.

1. mattbrandmm

mattbrandmm

I have been using the Memory Profiler package for the last couple days, trying to pin down a memory leak in my suite of games. The one very glaringly obvious culprit is an 8.0MB texture that appears after returning to a main menu after playing one of the games (see screenshot below).

The trouble is that the Native Object Name is blank, and I have no idea how to track where this texture is coming from. I call Resources.UnloadUnusedAssets when returning to the main menu, so I'm not sure why it would not get cleaned up.

Is there any way to get more information about a texture showing up in the memory snapshot using one of the other fields?

upload_2020-9-22_6-35-33.png

2. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Hi there,
    Is this perchance a snapshot made while profiling the game in Playmode, or is this from a build player?
    If it is from the Editor, there is a chance that this is a Memory Leak in the Memory Profiler UI itself, that we have fixed already and will ship with com.unity.memoryprofiler@0.2.6-preview.1. More info on that can be found in this thread which was asking the same question.

In short:
    If you create textures on the fly (i.e. not loading from file but maybe from the web or creating them newly in c#) you can assign a name to it via it's .name property.
    In this case, there is one reference to it i.e. the blue 1 in RefCount column that you can click on to see what references it. That might help you figure out where this came from too.

mattbrandmm likes this.
  3. mattbrandmm

mattbrandmm

Thanks for the info! This is a snapshot made while profiling the game in Play mode in editor, so it could be a leak in the memory profiler UI itself.

I did click on the ref count, and got this:
    upload_2020-9-22_7-25-1.png
    which I believe does confirm your answer.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    MartinTilo likes this.
  4. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

It does look like that yes :)

mattbrandmm likes this.
  5. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

mattbrandmm likes this.
  6. mattbrandmm