Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

I keep getting Failed to destroy editor windows: #1 errors no matter what I do

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by erdostamasa, Oct 14, 2020.

1. erdostamasa

erdostamasa

Error:
    Failed to destroy editor windows: #1
    FallbackEditorWindow
    UnityEditor.<>c:<ReloadWindowLayoutMenu>b__28_0()

I keep getting this error. I restarted Windows & unity, reinstalled unity, reset factory settings, reset layout, nothing works.

Also when I start my game the something happens and the screen goes black or the PC completely dies. I think I ruled out the gpu because it works perfectly when running at maximum power with demanding games like the Witcher 3. (My scene that crashes it is just some simple cubes&capsules with a player controller)

2. DiegoDePalacio

DiegoDePalacio

Unity Technologies

Hi @erdostamasa,

Is the same error happening if you create an empty project?

erdostamasa likes this.
  3. erdostamasa

erdostamasa

I have created a new project, it doesn't have the error. I went back to the project I was working on, apparently the error only happens there. When I open it, I get this warning:

The editor layout could not be fully loaded, this can happen when the layout contains EditorWindows not available in this project
    UnityEditor.WindowLayout:LoadDefaultWindowPreferences()

And when I revert the layout to factory settings I get the mentioned

FallbackEditorWindow

error

damosuzuki432 likes this.
  4. DiegoDePalacio

DiegoDePalacio

Unity Technologies

Are you using any plugins?

This is maybe happening because a custom Editor window is not loading properly.

If that's the case, my recommendation is to create a new project where you can copy all of your assets gradually.

You can do it in the next order:
    1. Create a new project
    2. Add all the Unity's packages
    3. Add all the Unity's Asset Store assets
    4. Add the rest of 3rd party assets from other sources
    5. Add all your project assets, except the scripts
    6. Add your Editor scripts
    7. Finally, add the rest of your scripts
    In each step, Unity will compile / import what you have on your project one step at a time, so you'll be able to detect when the issue is happening.

Once you found the step in where you have the problem, you can try to refine your search by adding the assets of such a step gradually.

I hope this helps!

KnifeOffWork and erdostamasa like this.
  5. erdostamasa

erdostamasa

That project was a test project where I followed a tutorial so it's not that important to keep it. If I encounter this error in any of my other projects, I will use these steps to solve it. Thanks for your answers, they were really helpful!

DiegoDePalacio and Joe-Censored like this.
  6. erdostamasa

erdostamasa

@DiegoDePalacio
    Hi! I started a completely new project with a fresh install of Unity and I got the

Invalid editor window UnityEditor.FallbackEditorWindow
    UnityEditor.EditorApplicationLayout:FinalizePlaymodeLayout()

error. I don't have any extensions/plugins and I'm using the default layout.
    If I revert to the factory settings the error stays and I again get the

FallbackEditorWindow

error. This is a really fustrating problem because I can't find the source of it no matter what I do. I use two monitors, Unity is maximized on the main monitor and I ususally got the documentation open on the second one. Could this have to do something with my problem? I really can't think of anything (new Win10 install, new Unity install, problem still remains)

EDIT: I put the pc in single monitor mode and nothing changed, I still get the same errors.

My unity version: 2019.4.12f1 Personal

OxiGenX6 likes this.
  7. DiegoDePalacio

DiegoDePalacio

Unity Technologies

You shouldn't have any errors like this.

Would you mind to create a bug report following the next steps: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

This will help us to check more in-depth about what is happening and solve it accordingly.

Thank you!

8. erdostamasa

erdostamasa

It seems like it's gone again. It it happens next time, I will submit a report! Thanks for your help:)

DiegoDePalacio likes this.
  9. dgoyette

dgoyette

chanon81 likes this.
  10. chanon81

chanon81

Same thing after upgrading from 2019.4.10f1 to 2019.4.13f1

11. FlamingPopcorn

FlamingPopcorn

I get same issue, "Invalid editor window" error, try to reset layout to factory settings resulting in "Failed to destroy editor windows: #1" version 2019.4.13f1

12. WizardGameDev

WizardGameDev

It is sad and truly unbelievable that these productivity crushing bugs are completely ignored while Unity Technologies prances around with all sorts of flashing marketing and sales and pushing sizzle and wow features when nearly everyone I know that has abandoned and moved on from Unity (triple AAA developers included) have done so because core development grinds to a halt under bugs and broken scenes. The pro devs literally budget out thousands of hours to push through the bugs and broken pieces to get a game out while the smaller devs just get crushed waiting to do simple things like import their assets. It is sad and demoralizing to continue checking in and see there is virtually nothing to be done. Just find another tool or put up with it.

Immersive-Matthew and HeeyVic like this.
  13. dgoyette

dgoyette

If you want to make posts like this, where Unity ignores us common folk, you should pick your battles. Unity fixed this literally yesterday in 2019.4.15.

And you're saying that this message that was showing up in the console, which had no other impact at all, was a "productivity crushing bug"?

Eristen, Zephyr_AM and DiegoDePalacio like this.
  14. AppBite

AppBite

I see Wiz's point of view, I've burnt ~2 hours total trying to debug this error on a large project over the past month. I've deleted, I've recloned from git, I've tried disabling stuff along the lines of the Unity suggestions above.

And then today I created a fresh project from Unity Hub just using New -> 3D Project and got the same error!

I'm sorry but Unity shouldn't be releasing software which is this untested, it wastes peoples time.

There should be a test plan before release where someone at Unity hits Create New Project --> 3D and see if it works. How that gets past QA is utterly beyond me, it's the most base level thing to create a new empty 3D project and see the error.

15. Tangerunity3d

Tangerunity3d

I'm facing the very same issue but it's actually part of another issue.

When I load any project (not a new one) I get this message every time:

The editor layout could not be fully loaded, this can happen when the layout contains EditorWindows not available in this project
    UnityEditor.WindowLayout:LoadDefaultWindowPreferences()

Now, that error relates to something went wrong within the Editor layout, so almost everyone says deleting the file located at: \Library\CurrentLayout-default.dwlt or hitting Layout/Revert to factory settings in the Unity editor will solve the issue.

However it doesn't worked for me, as soon I revert to factory settings the layout, i get the error:

FallbackEditorWindow

So it's an endless loop every time I open a project.

Also, this bug has brought another big problems to my projects, I have a team of 5 ppl working on collaborate and since I noticed this issue, our project doesn't work as it should as there are several things that are missing (some references)

At first we had to re-import all the project in order to get back those missing references, luckily enough we pinpoint the folders that were causing the issues (We're using Photon and a Custom resources folder) but I can vouch that this issue made us lose several hours of work for almost 2 weeks.

We have Unity Plus at our company and also paying seats for collaborate and things like this really makes us want to drop the license.

Screenshot (4).png Screenshot (3).png

16. dgoyette

dgoyette

Have you updated to 2019.4.15? I was getting the error in 2019.4.14, but upgrading to 2019.4.15 (along with deleted Library, as recommended) has 100% resolved this for me.

17. Tangerunity3d

Tangerunity3d

No, I haven't update my version. I can't.

We are at the middle of a project and as I stated, me and my team are using collab. Can't force my entire team to update every single time Unity launches a version with some bug.

Considering each new release takes 20-30 mins to fully install with all the components we need... is not viable.

Been using Unity since version 4 but this model of releasing a new LTS version every 3 weeks make me want to throw the computer out of the window with Unity along!

VideoVillain likes this.
  18. dgoyette

dgoyette

Well, I don't think there's really any option other than either downgrading to 2019.4.11 (before the bug was introduced) or upgrading to 2019.4.15 (where the bug was fixed). If you can't/won't upgrade, the I don't think you have much choice other than just to ignore the error.

Your statement about this having caused other problems with your project seems suspect to me. I don't know the full details of what went on in this bug, but for me it wasn't accompanied by any concrete problems, just an annoying console log entry. I'd recommend approaching the other issues independently. Just because two problems started at the same time doesn't mean they're related.

19. Rickmc3280

Rickmc3280

I just upgraded to 2019.4.16 and get the issue. Was getting it in 2019.4.14 also.

20. dgoyette

dgoyette

Did you fully delete your Library folder after upgrading to 2019.4.16? The bug resolution suggested you'd probably need to do that if simply upgrading doesn't resolve the issue.

21. Rickmc3280

Rickmc3280

I read your comment to someone else about deleting the library and forgot to ask... (also, no I did not), will it harm anything to just find the folder and delete it?

22. dgoyette

dgoyette

In most cases, you can "safely" delete the Library folder in a project. It's full of stuff that Unity generates, and so Unity will generate it again the next time you open the project. (You'll need to close your project before you delete the Library folder.) The caveat is that for large projects, it can take a long time for Unity to regenerate all the stuff in Library after you delete it. My project is about 10 GB in size (excluding the Library folder), mostly textures, and it can take 20-30 minutes to rebuild everything after deleting Library.

So, you should be able to delete Library without any concerns, though you probably want to do so when you've got a few minutes to spare while Unity rebuilds everything.

Rickmc3280 likes this.
  23. Rickmc3280

Rickmc3280

10 Minutes laterrr...
    It was moving fast, so I was like nah, it will be fine. Still working on it :rolleyes::D.

15 Minutes lateerrr...
    Have been waiting for it to finish so I can submit success or not... but it is still going xD. Guess Ill just respond later.

EDIT TO ADD:

Seems like it fixed the issue, works for now.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    dgoyette likes this.
  24. liquidsolder

liquidsolder

I was having the same error and it was because On my last project i was using the new input system. i had to install input system package and restart and the error went away

25. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

This is still an issue in 2021.1.4f1. Also still get the bug where the asterix doesn't show up if you've made a change, to remind you to save....been dealing with that one for years now. Good old reliable "lets push out the next version without fixing anything" Unity attitude. And they wonder why I won't pay for a pro version.....

26. velezoso

velezoso

I have created my own custom Editor window and I got this error in Unity 2019.4.30f1

I could see in window > windows that my Editor was opened but it was not possible to see it, so
    I have removed the Library folder and reimported all the project (Assets > Reimport All) and the problem was gone.

I hope this helps

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  27. MarianoMariscal

MarianoMariscal

In my case going to
    Window -> Layouts -> Reset All Layouts
    fixed the issue.