Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Editor skinning thread

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by pointcache, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Kamyker

Kamyker

It's pretty old but I had to save all icons from 2019.2 and load them in newer version. Some code is in https://github.com/kamyker/UnityDarkenThemer

2. Mauri

Mauri

Just decided to give this one above (which can be found here) a try because I liked it a lot. Looks pretty good I'd say:

There are some quirks, however:
    • Package Manager - or UI Toolkit-based elements in general - do not seem to be stylable, leaving them in the default Unity color.
    • Checkboxes, toggle boxes, scrollbars, etc... use plain images. Same with that bottom-right Tools window inside the Scene view. They would need to get replaced in order to make them fit.
    I'm considering finishing this up as best as possible and throw it onto GitHub.
    Would there be any interest?

Edit (Dec 11): It can now be found on GitHub and there's a dedicated thread here:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    mgear likes this.
  3. pointcache

pointcache

Interest - yes. The images need some way to easily inject your own, maybe a scriptable? A way to dump them on disk, and then import on load?

4. starfoxy

starfoxy

Looking sharp @Mauri ! I am always interested in having new themes to use!

5. Vincent454

Vincent454

Does anyone of you know how to swap out the editor icons? I am trying to use the old icons from before the 2019 editor "upgrade". I put them in the "Editor Default Resources\Icons" folder as described here. However this is not working at all.

I saw some of your skins had changed a couple of editor icons, how do they achieve that?
    I have the import format set to "Editor GUI and Legacy GUI"

Can anyone help me out?
    I am working on a theme that restores the editor to how it used to look, and this is pretty much the final step.

upload_2022-8-1_17-37-36.png upload_2022-8-1_17-37-59.png

6. Khaeops

Khaeops

Been using the theme posted by @Mauri and I'm really enjoying it, but in my editor version (2021.3) and up some of the elements are using the default colouring. So I tried to poke around and style them but I don't think I'm quite understanding how it's done. Either I'm using the wrong element names from the UI Toolkit Debugger or I'm way off on the configuration structure. Is there like a 'full template' somewhere?

Vincent454 likes this.
  7. Vincent454

Vincent454

I have encountered the same problems. The names the debugger gives you dont work (Even though the "documentation" says you can use these), and I have found no way to change the play button especially

8. Mauri

Mauri

@Khaeops and @Vincent13122 Sorry for the rather late reply :confused:

It's not that you're "too dumb" or anything like that. Unfortunately, some of the Editor's own UI Toolkit elements just can't be styled this way (i.e. with a sole .uss stylesheet) - unless you're using custom code scripts like MechaWolf99. I haven't tried his method (yet) because my goal was ultimately to only use a simple, non-invasive stylesheet file to theme the entire Editor.

Unity Technologies itself doesn't officially support theming the Editor. I remember I once had a chitchat with a staff member regarding Editor theming and it was made pretty clear to me that, what I was trying to do, is not really desired by them. So, I eventually gave up frustratingly.
    -

Khaeops and Vincent454 like this.
  9. Wilhelm_LAS

Wilhelm_LAS

In 2023, we cant customize the global classes? I want to override unity-binding--prefab-override class globally but now i dont know what to do. Have anyone succeeded for styling UI Toolkit element's classes?