Search Unity

Feedback Unity why have you made your entire gui look like garbage now?

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by Player7, Jul 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Player7

Player7

I can't find a single redeeming quality about it... like nothing ..this POS GUI is even worse to use, I know I commented on it last year when pictures were posted around it.. but like you've done nothing on it... therefore I can only assume 2019.3 alpha might aswel be the final.

...Current..

Future Ugly GUI x9000....

Seriously who the F*** is responsible for this crap .. if it wasn't for the asset store stuff I've bought this would be enough for me to consider UE or even CryEngine going forwards if this the future of your editor UX/GUI. Kinda wonder what is the point in improving the engine features when you set your GUI back to the effing stone age of garbage design, it's meant to be improving not getting worse!

The absolute worst thing about it is the darker grey background on everything, underneath black text... like who the f uck recommended these S***e design changes?

The previous light skin is at least a little more contrasting.

...no gradients on icons, no gradients anywhere!! now just a bunch of flat icons, and flat S*** shades of grey on everything ...disgusting really.

...drop down menus, practically blend in with the gui and even look like disabled elements with the grey shades..

Even the in game view stats panel is this ugly fking light colored grey blob (think that was the only darker gui part that showed on the light skin previously)... with ..wait for it.. square corners on the bottom, and really curved bevelled edges on the top?.. so basically like the previous one but even bloody worse! ... the only fking place for a curved bevel on that, should be the bottom left corner..

Inspector area..... where to mess up the most on everything I guess, because it's the most used part of the GUI.. so why not really herp derp!

Sliders, somehow with the entire gui going to square corner crap, you then use circles for the sliders?? this is disgusting, at least stick to some consistency in shapes.

..much disappoint really.

SimonDziak, halley and Alverik like this.
  2. Peter77

Peter77

Could it be that this is because in the second screenshot the editor is in play mode? In play mode, the editor UI gets tinted with whatever color is stored in the preferences.

If I look at the screenshots in this post:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/second-editor-theme-iteration.635344/

... the light theme does look more contrasty than in the images in this thread.

3. Player7

Player7

I don't even want to open 2019.3 to check that, suffice to say it would still look just as ugly and unfinished to me.

I'd be amazed if they actually did bother to include the playmode tinting option in the preferences, seeing as so little is exposed in preferences for things... but I don't even like play mode tinting, I still use the editor inspector etc while in playmode, plenty of actual useful things they could do when going into playmode, tinting the gui ain't really one of them.

4. SMacfarlane

SMacfarlane

Unity Technologies

Changing the play mode tint is indeed available in the preferences of your editor and you can also change the editor colors and outlines if you wish.

upload_2019-7-12_12-5-15.png

Mauri, karl_jones and pointcache like this.
  5. pointcache

pointcache

This option was available in unity i think since the beginning.

upload_2019-7-12_15-11-4.png
    unity 2.6

6. Player7

Player7

...well this changes everything.. suddenly I've seen the light, a single color customization option for an entire gui, that has existed for years has been brought to my attention.... I can now finally not look at this 2019.3 gui with contempt and indignation.

I'm joking clearly :) this is still awful :oops:.. the playmode tinting just looks worse I guess with everything being so fffking flat in color styling.

Good bye gradients, bevels and good use of color (actually surprised the active tab button hadn't been stripped of the top color strip)... as we head into the future of S***ting bland monotone interfaces.

I mean really a single redeeming quality of gui, is it even faster? nope
    is there any ux improvement in workflow? nope
    is there any layout improvement? nope

Nothing has improved to me, you don't even add theming support or more color customization options into the preferences... there is so much more that could be done to improve unity's gui/ux and nothing is demonstrating that is going on here...

halley, Alverik and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  7. pointcache

pointcache

Apart from venting babyrage what do you want to achieve?

mnarimani, rmb303, Stormy102 and 7 others like this.
  8. JoNax97

JoNax97

I didn't want to get into the drama but I think you're going a tad too far with your whinning.

That's your personal opinion, and you can give it in a respectful way. There was a thread a while ago where lots of people have their feedback and, mind you, actually addressed problems in a constructive way and hinted at solutions. Yo may as well try to do just that.

You're both disrespecting the person who tried to give you useful help and showing you're not interested in actually solving anything.

They've been working on a new UI backend called UIElements that actually is faster and more customizable. Most new editor features are built on top of it and the older ones are being ported.

As for UX, the team already said they're doing the editor redesign in phases. The new UI style comes first, then a deeper redesign will arrive.

If you want the editor to actually imtpove, start by resepcting the team's work and voicing your disagreement in a constructive way. Either that or just use a tool that suits you more.

9. Player7

Player7

I'm not going far enough actually, this stuff was brought up ages ago and enough feedback was given on it.. what did they do with it.. sweet f-all. Pointless giving 'constructive' feedback now, though gradients, bevels, and colors would be a good start for the blind who don't read good.

SimonDziak, halley and Alverik like this.
  10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Well, to be a bit out of character, I'll be a bit positive. They did take some feedback, I see less wasted vertical space and it has a tad more contrast than the older previews we saw. I'd say this is overall an improvement than the earlier previews.

I still think it's a step down than what we currently have. I'm hoping it will be ever so slightly faster, although I'm not holding my breath, somehow Unity seems unable or unwilling, or both, to make an editor that feels as snappy as pre 5.x used to feel.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Ryiah, Alverik and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  11. tertle

tertle

I actually like it :oops: I dislike going back to previous builds now.

Though it does look better with dark (pro) skin.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  12. Onigiri

Onigiri

New Editor UI is better. Cant work on old versions now with all that ugly gradients.

13. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

lol

SirIntruder and Alverik like this.
  14. chrisk

chrisk

To me, it makes no difference. They are basically the same GUI and no improvements to UX. Who gives a sh*t about the flat icons? It's just different and the matter of the personal tastes.

Just focus on making the editor faster.
    It's getting freaking slower with every release with no apparent reasons.
    For example, I often have to click on a checkbox three times.
    First Click -> not responding, hmm... it leads me to click again.
    Second Click -> It responds late but it puts back the checkbox to before.
    Third Click -> Thank god, finally, it worked. This story repeats several times a day.

Is this a joke? We are in the 21st century I'm using the fastest CPU and lots of memory and yet I'm struggling with checkboxes

If you can't improve perf, please do me a favor. Stop waiting your (and our time) on this bullsh*t theme make over and just improve Editor UXs. There so many small yet important UX improvements you can make to save our lives. Unity is simply a cancer-causing sh*t but unfortunately, I'm locked in for this project.

15. tertle

tertle

I have a 7 year old PC, work on XX GB projects and have never experienced anything like that. What are your checkboxes doing o_O

Stormy102, jonathans42 and Erothez like this.
  16. Player7

Player7

Ain't changing my mind on this.. the entire lightskin is just broken and poorly styled garbage.

Could say there were things wrong with the previous gui theme but instead of improving it they just made it all bloody worse. Grey text on light grey shades, interactive elements all just shades of light and grey, no color separation! just pure uglyfied everything, flat color checkboxes, buttons, no borders... complete and utter basic noob design.

Good use of coloring, contrast, borders, bevels ... it all just all got thrown out the window..for those saying it ain't bad I think you need your eyes testing. And those saying it ain't bad are using the dark theme... go figure darker themes hide the ugly design of it all.

If anything think this new light skin theme should be a driving point for new users to look at other engines that just provide what I would still consider mostly S*** flat gui's now, but at least in darker styled themes, where looking at such stale flat and boring light color gui styles is slightly less of an eye strain in working with visually dumbed down aesthetic retardation.

Alverik and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  17. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Some of the new icons are better, some of the new colours are better. and some are worse.

- the white text on blue highlight is better than blue on black
    - The removal of all colours is bad in my opinion.
    - The contrast of the gray text on gray background is worse in the new version.
    - The new help icon is better but its too small
    - The new search bar icon is too small.

Alverik likes this.
  18. Player7

Player7

The darker theme of this new gui is just more tolerable...

That 'Tier Settings' panel (and all similar options that use that style) in the light theme is a dark shade of grey with grey text on top.... Unlike the dark theme where the text is white with dark grey.. which works fine. .. in the light skin it should be a lighter shade in order to provide some contrast, ie just like it was done the pre 2019.3 gui.. before this regressive gui change.

Its like for every 1 little thing that is better in the new gui, its setback by a number of other issues like some other icons looking rubbish or having all the color taken out, no gradients, no bevels...etc. ..Project settings dialog has layout issues with small widths, the inspector view and component expand/collapse areas just look awful and bland as do all the input field areas like all drop down buttons look terrible with flat coloring, sometimes its not even crystal clear if they are disabled.. same goes for text fields etc

hate it.. dark theme is tolerable that's it, light theme is just plain broken.. it's alpha though right, maybe they'll have time to fix it otherwise I hope in 2020 hindsight edition they will support theming so people with better design taste can just fix all this so they don't have to be stuck with flat monotone gui ?

Alverik likes this.
  19. Player7

Player7

And just look at the padding difference from the old and new.. you just end up with more scrolling to do with the new gui.. I mean anyone with a gameobject with a crap ton of components on it is gonna be pissed (I am, dgaf about those who think this new theme is better in anyway) because this overbloat pad styling between each label and element is just another issue that is wrong with it...

20. SimonDziak

SimonDziak

In general, I agree with your message. The UX/GUI has a lot of room for improvement and should definitely be a top priority.

Alverik likes this.
  21. pointcache

pointcache

If Unity is still reading this thread, could you guys this time expose editor styling?
    I know dark theme is a money maker for you, but it's 2019.
    Previously making custom themes and modding editor was possible
    https://github.com/zios/unity-themes

It makes sense to allow people to change editor colors at least, like its done in most
    professional packages. Pretty sure that wont happen tho, still has to be reiterated.
    Also icons and stuff, i'd myself would really like to modify the icons from bleak bw to colorful and easily identifiable.

22. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Is it? I think the only people that care about it are Unity themselves.

23. jonathans42

jonathans42

Unity Technologies

Hi pointcache,

If you have some time to spent, you can override most of the USS styles to get a new look. As an example, in a project or a package, create three files

- "Editor/StyleSheets/Extensions/common.uss"
    - "Editor/StyleSheets/Extensions/light.uss"
    - "Editor/StyleSheets/Extensions/dark.uss"

Then in "Editor/StyleSheets/Extensions/dark.uss" add this:

Code (CSharp):
    2. .dockHeader {
    3.     background-color: #005454;
    4. }
    Then if you domain reload and refresh you get something like this:

upload_2019-7-15_8-39-1.png

If you need to find the style name of various components, you can use the IMGUI Debugger and use the Pick Style button to hover a UI component, then read its style name.

upload_2019-7-15_8-40-49.png

As for icons, they can be overridden by creating a folder "Editor Default Resources\Icons" and putting icons with a similar name to built-ins one. In a near future, we might make the internal `editor_resources` project available on GitHub with all the tools to create your own skin/theme.

Let us know if you come up with a nice new theme (by the way you do not need a pro license to do this)!

Thanks,

Attached Files:

Ony, andreiagmu, Stardog and 15 others like this.
  24. Peter77

Peter77

That's just great, thanks for sharing this Jonathan!

So... Anyone going to create a dark theme and selling it for way to much on the asset store? You know, can't give it away for free! :D

Alverik and jonathans42 like this.
  25. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

it was mentioned before this overriding / themes are possible somehow, great to see there will be a github with info.

Many thanks for making this, I will make a new custom theme for it.

Alverik and Peter77 like this.
  26. GameDevCouple_I

GameDevCouple_I

The UI isnt great, but its nowhere as near as bad as you make it out to be.

Off topic:
    Also, raging about something and saying its enough to move you to "UE or Cryengine" doesnt really make your point any more impactful, in fact if anything it makes people less likely to take you seriously given that those tend to be common "babyrage" points (threats?) that pop up in threads made by whining users and then are still here months later, using the same threat to hold unity team hostage over the next X feature said user deems to be most important to them.

Just do what everyone else does and provide feedback, instead of ranting about the feedback you are seemingly trying to provide at the same time. You have feedback? Great, give it and move on instead of providing a rant and making it more cumbersome for any staff to actually pick out the information that is relevant from.

Im sorry but there is a respectful way to provide feedback and this is surely not it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  27. Player7

Player7

yeah whatever the criticism might come off harsh but i stand by it, it is a regression from the current overall, it's light theme is bad, dark theme is only just tolerable..

If you can read ..." if it wasn't for the asset store stuff I've bought this would be enough for me to consider UE or even CryEngine going forwards if this the future of your editor UX/GUI." some people obviously have trouble comprehending things.... ie I'm invested in using Unity, therefore any changes that don't sit right with me are going to brought up as it's my usage of the product it will effect. Now if I wasn't invested in using it, then yeah I'd look elsewhere.

The relevant information is.. it looks like Unity does have some built in theming support now (why that wasn't mentioned earlier on in the thread as being supported right now I have no idea, it certainly wasn't in reply to my topic about it) And after checking into it, it looks like gradients like background-image, linear gradients aren't supported... maybe it's different I have no idea, .uss might have some other way of doing.. if it does, maybe it will be the saving grace for the awful styling that is going to take place in 2019.3

Alverik likes this.
  28. Stormy102

Stormy102

How's this for an idea... Don't use 2019.3. You'll have a year or so of 2019.2 being supported after release, after which I'm sure that custom themes will exist - maybe even one with the old theme. Raging and typing out expletives is hardly going to raise your point in a constructive manner, nor will it effect any change. Try to behave somewhat professionally and stop being such a keyboard warrior :)

29. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Right as if he expressed himself in the politest of ways Unity would go “oh okay changing the GUI right now”.

Let the man vent, it’s the only thing these forums are good for.

Alverik likes this.
  30. JoNax97

JoNax97

Actually no, this shouldn't be tolerated. Aside from basic respect stuff, there's a simple reason his aggressive manners affect me in a negative way: Unity devs are not required to participate in the forums, they do out of personal desire in many cases. And this kind of attitude (I would say borderline harassment) only draws them away, worsening our communication with them and making their work less transparent.

Ony, Iron-Warrior, Stormy102 and 4 others like this.
  31. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Then you need to be polite for 2 people.

32. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Still a lot of work to do but It's getting close. Recreating the Dark theme to the best of my ability (since I don't have access to it I can't replicate it 100%) then after I'll edit it to create a theme I also have in mind. Also if anyone knows a way I could switch themes if I have multiple without overriding the same file (Since it seems Unity reads the file name to change the theme dark.uss - edits dark theme and light.uss - edits light theme)

upload_2019-7-15_22-43-9.png

upload_2019-7-15_22-43-18.png

Seb-1814, Quast, Stormy102 and 3 others like this.
  33. Mauri

Mauri

^ This is what confuses me a bit, tbh. Even with the free version you can now (theoretically) replicate the official dark theme without any issues. So what sense does it still make to lock it behind the Plus/Pro gate? o_O

Asad-Gamer, Storm4_ and Alverik like this.
  34. Zarconis

Zarconis

That UI looks like it was written in Delphi back in the early 90's, I'm not just saying that it looks pretty much the same. Windows 95 / 3.1 nostalgia?

Alverik likes this.
  35. Peter77

Peter77

36. Zarconis

Zarconis

Alverik likes this.
  37. TheZombieKiller

TheZombieKiller

I was able to "export" some of the built-in USS files with the following code (I mostly got the paths by looking through "Editor/Data/Resources/unity editor resources" in a hex editor), but unfortunately they don't seem to work properly as "extensions."

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.IO;
    2. using UnityEditor;
    3. using UnityEditor.StyleSheets;
    4. using UnityEngine.UIElements;
    6. // Must be in an assembly named "Assembly-CSharp-Editor-testable"
    7. // Use an Assembly Definition to achieve this if necessary.
    9. // Alternatively, you could just use reflection to call
    10. // UnityEditor.StyleSheets.StyleSheetToUss.WriteStyleSheet
    11. // but that takes effort!
    13. public static class StyleSheetExporter
    14. {
    15.     [MenuItem("StyleSheet Exporter/Export")]
    16.     public static void Export()
    17.     {
    18.         string[] sheetPaths =
    19.         {
    20.             "StyleSheets/DefaultCommonLight.uss",
    21.             "StyleSheets/Generated/DefaultCommonLight.uss.asset",
    22.             "StyleSheets/Generated/DefaultCommonLight_roboto.uss.asset",
    23.             "StyleSheets/Generated/DefaultCommonLight_segoe ui.uss.asset",
    24.             "StyleSheets/Generated/DefaultCommonLight_verdana.uss.asset",
    26.             "StyleSheets/DefaultCommonDark.uss",
    27.             "StyleSheets/Generated/DefaultCommonDark.uss.asset",
    28.             "StyleSheets/Generated/DefaultCommonDark_roboto.uss.asset",
    29.             "StyleSheets/Generated/DefaultCommonDark_segoe ui.uss.asset",
    30.             "StyleSheets/Generated/DefaultCommonDark_verdana.uss.asset",
    32.             "StyleSheets/Generated/ToolbarLight.uss.asset",
    33.             "StyleSheets/Generated/ToolbarLight_roboto.uss.asset",
    34.             "StyleSheets/Generated/ToolbarLight_segoe ui.uss.asset",
    35.             "StyleSheets/Generated/ToolbarLight_verdana.uss.asset",
    37.             "StyleSheets/Generated/ToolbarDark.uss.asset",
    38.             "StyleSheets/Generated/ToolbarDark_roboto.uss.asset",
    39.             "StyleSheets/Generated/ToolbarDark_segoe ui.uss.asset",
    40.             "StyleSheets/Generated/ToolbarDark_verdana.uss.asset",
    41.         };
    43.         foreach (var sheetPath in sheetPaths)
    44.         {
    45.             var sheet  = EditorGUIUtility.Load(sheetPath) as StyleSheet;
    46.             var folder = Path.GetDirectoryName(sheetPath);
    47.             var write  = sheetPath;
    49.             if (Path.GetExtension(write) == ".asset")
    50.                 write = Path.ChangeExtension(write, null);
    52.             Directory.CreateDirectory(folder);
    53.             StyleSheetToUss.WriteStyleSheet(sheet, write);
    54.         }
    55.     }
    56. }

jonathans42 and pointcache like this.
  38. pointcache

pointcache

39. Player7

Player7

Really go cry somewhere else and avoid my threads! At least you can avoid a post from someone, where as from 2019.3 I wont be able to avoid this regressive gui. So its gotten my feedback.

Alverik likes this.
  40. pointcache

pointcache

And you gotten yours.

41. tertle

tertle

You guys need to chill. You care way too much about a UI.

42. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Caring about the UI is actually a good thing
    So let focus on how we can improve the UI from here on :)

JoNax97, Alverik and GameDevCouple_I like this.
  43. Zarconis

Zarconis

Yeah, whilst there's generally bigger fish to fry than a UI. The text and background are starting to merge, there needs to be highlight points separating elements so you can easily see them.

Colours and shading catch attention to important attributes (nothing wild mind due) but it does help with memory retention too. I'm not mad about it, they could just do with going back to the drawing board a little bit.

44. DoctorShinobi

DoctorShinobi

I suspect Unity might release the dark theme for free since allowing developers to customize the editor means people can easily apply a dark theme.
    If they really are planning that then I assume they won't announce it until 2019.3 releases otherwise people might unsubscribe from Plus/Pro right now.

Mauri and Alverik like this.
  45. Peter77

Peter77

Releasing dark for free and at the same time introducing the platinum theme for $999 per month. People will buy it just for prestige, as it's exactly the same as dark theme. Everybody wants platinum for free from then on and argues both, light and dark theme, are bad for the eye. o_O

46. DoctorShinobi

DoctorShinobi

The platinum skin would be so dark you'd have to be 18+ years old to use it. It would have zero contrast between the text and the background and will be summed up as "just a solid black rectangle on the entire screen"

Mauri and Peter77 like this.
  47. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Politeness is required here. You can lose your ability post altogether. Warnings issued and thread closed. Keep it civil and productive or you can't play here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.