Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the HLAPI even work??

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Deleted User, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't understand why when I attempt to run one instance of a networked game running I get null refs everywhere. Its literally implausible. I'm using the standard assets which use a lot of [Require]'s and GetComponent(); on Start() and I know the assets already have those scripts attached.

Also it is 1am Mountain Standard time, as of two hours ago I discovered that the main Photon Unity Networking webpage doesn't seem to be loading. Does anyone know if it is still being hosted or if PUN is still being maintained?? My Asset store says the last update was two months ago!

2. mischa2k

mischa2k

Try this one: https://forum.unity.com/threads/unet-hlapi-pro-taking-unet-to-the-next-level.425437/

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The HLAPI does work. If you'd give more details about your null ref errors maybe someone could help.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

I read some stuff from a year ago saying the HLAPI and associated networking features aren't being maintained because the dev who was working on it left. Is that true? Those posts date back to 2017.

I am just using the ThirdPersonCharacter controller. Code has not changed. Its calling Getcomponent<Animator>(); on start(), but doesn't seem to be finding the reference. Perhaps I am doing something incorrectly?

5. cephalo2

cephalo2

I say don't get involved with HLAPI at this time. Especially if you are learning network programming. It cost me 6 months.

Deleted User likes this.
  6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You're correct that the HLAPI hasn't been getting updates from Unity for a while. vis2k gave you a link to the community supported version (mostly vis2k supported) with fixes for all known bugs. But the bugs fixed are mostly issues you wouldn't have hit just starting a UNET project.

Deleted User likes this.