Search Unity

Official Creator Kit: RPG

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Woolley_Kat, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Woolley_Kat

Woolley_Kat

Unity Technologies

illustration marketing1_7-4.png
    Unity's Content Team are excited to announce some brand new projects for your code free, drag and drop delight. Please use this forum thread for the RPG Creator Kit and tell us what you think, we're always looking to improve our content for you.

Find the tutorial on Unity Learn
    Find it on the Asset Store

Learn the basics of Unity in under an hour with our Creator Kits - they're like miniature versions of the bigger Game Kits. Aimed at complete beginners, create your own beautiful physics-based puzzle using ramps, dominoes, spoons and switches to guide your super shiny marble through your marvellous machine. Learn about Unity’s physics system in this step by step beginner tutorial.

Forum post for the Puzzle Creator Kit
    Forum post for the FPS Creator Kit

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    M_MG_S, Nebula0001_ and Hino_Dev like this.
  2. Kevman69

Kevman69

I downloaded the Kit Right away I'm seeing this error: Assets\Creator Kit - RPG\Scripts\Tiles\Brusthes\Coordinate Brush\Scripts\Editor\CoordinateBrush.cs(9,36): error CS0245: Also, nothing is in the Tile Palette so I can't follow the guide.

3. Kevman69

Kevman69

4. zombee81

zombee81

5. zombee81

zombee81

I think I may have solved it, it says in the scripting API that the GridBrush class requires the "using UnityEditor.Tilemaps;" statement, however, I've found to get the files completely error free, you also need "using UnityEditor.Tilemaps;" too.

Takes a bit of work but it's better than not working at all.

MilanCREEPERPOWER likes this.
  6. JacekMackiewicz

JacekMackiewicz

Unity Technologies

Hey zombee81 and Kevman69,

Thanks for reporting this and sorry to hear you're having problems using the kit! Are you on Unity version 19.1? We are aware of issues with the beta versions of Unity which have been fixed and will be uploaded upon 19.2's official release.
    Our projects only ever work on the stable Unity versions, as beta/alpha's are less stable and change on a weekly basis causing them to be unsupported for our projects.

7. zyuan

zyuan

It's working. It's a very good case.But I don't know how the developers deal with occlusion between sprites, I find it has to do with the Y-axis in the pivot of sprites, but I can't find a script to deal with this, or is there any other way to deal with it?

8. zyuan

zyuan

Ok, I finally found this function, this is really useful for making 2d games!

9. zombee81

zombee81

I see thanks for the info, I'm using 2019.2.0a7, is the stable version 2019.1.10f1? Oh! Any chance you could do the 3D version of this Creator Kit: RPG? At some point anyway, I don't want you to think "I want it now", just asking to add it to the Creator Kits that you are going to do. :)

Slx_GZ and YetAnotherKen like this.
  10. Syrinox

Syrinox

any Ideas how to solve this issue? I'm using unity 2019.1.8f

Assets\Creator Kit - RPG\Scripts\UI\SpriteUIElement.cs(24,9): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'PixelPerfectCamera' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I'm still learning and I have no Idea how to solve scripting issues yet.

Attached Files:

11. Jon_Brant

Jon_Brant

This is awesome, got it working straight away with 2019.1.1f1. I want to use the conversation system in another game, I've extracted what seems to be the relevant files, but I'm having to comment out quest related things. Any advice for extracting this? It's mostly working, but the UI is only half working. I could just code it myself, but I have no idea what to even google for that 2 column list in the inspector

Edit, nvm, got it working. Had to include quests. So basically you need to include every script related to Conversation, Quest.cs, and SceneContext.cs. You'll need to comment out errors about cutscenes and models, etc. But it seems to work for my needs

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  12. FranciscoCarvajal

FranciscoCarvajal

Upon import, a warning about dependencies pops, if you choose to install this dependencies, at least some of the files on the package won't be written (particularly, the main scene). The resulting sample scene is an empty scene. My workaround was:
    1. From a new project import the package
    2. When the warning about dependencies pops, click on "Skip"
    3. The project will be imported, but you will get two errors complaining about missing dependencies
    4. Import the package again, you will notice none of the files are selected to import and you won't be able to select them. Click import anyway.
    5. When the warning about dependencies pops again, now click on install.
    6. ...
    7. Profit!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Arcagully likes this.
  13. ksc_3899

ksc_3899

I was going through the scripts when I found this. Untitled.png

Why is it not inheriting from Monobehaviour for even such a simple function as OnTriggerEnter2d and OnTriggerExit2D? And do we really need 'using RPGM.Core'?? Is the script just over complicated or is there a valid reason behind, be it in terms of performance efficiency or anything?

14. ksc_3899

ksc_3899

And also, I'm unable to walk through the border of the house while I'm able to walk through the internal parts though both have been painted using Tilemap Palette. How is that functionality implemented?

15. Kate_Argent

Kate_Argent

Hello. I am having some issues with the tutorial on this RPG. Once I get to the bit where I am meant to run the game I get a very zoomed in game window and three error messages in the console (picture below). On top of that the walk animation doesn't play plus the character seems to act as if he is on Ice (slips around with momentum).

I am on Unity 2019.2.0f1 personal. I downloaded the assets, and did have an issue with the "Temp/com.unity.multiplayer-hlapi.Runtime.dll" which required me to re-install that plugin. But I am now at a bit of a loss as what to do now. This is a fresh Unity install with your asset pack downloaded so I don't know what could be conflicting with it.

16. JonTerp

JonTerp

The movement in this feels less than ideal. I ended up modifying it to be smoother and fixing up the animation script to support full analog movement. It's not "retro" but it feels infinitely better.

In "InputController.cs" replace "CharacterControl()" with:

Code (CSharp):
    1. void CharacterControl()
    2.         {
    3.             Vector3 walkDirection = Vector3.zero;
    5.             if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.UpArrow))
    6.                 walkDirection += Vector3.up;
    7.             if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.DownArrow))
    8.                 walkDirection += Vector3.down;
    9.             if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.LeftArrow))
    10.                 walkDirection += Vector3.left;
    11.             if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.RightArrow))
    12.                 walkDirection += Vector3.right;
    14.             walkDirection.Normalize();
    16.             model.player.nextMoveCommand = walkDirection * stepSize;
    17.         }

To fix the animator replace "UpdateAnimator" in "CharacterController2D.cs" with:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         void UpdateAnimator(Vector3 direction)
    2.         {
    3.             if (animator)
    4.             {
    5.                 if (Math.Abs(direction.x) > Math.Abs(direction.y))
    6.                 {
    7.                     animator.SetInteger("WalkY", 0);
    8.                     animator.SetInteger("WalkX", direction.x != 0 ? 1 : 0);
    9.                 }
    11.                 else
    12.                 {
    13.                     animator.SetInteger("WalkX", 0);
    14.                     animator.SetInteger("WalkY", direction.y != 0 ? direction.y > 0 ? -1 : 1 : 0);
    15.                 }
    17.             }
    18.         }

Millan, DrDerkington, Minious and 2 others like this.
  17. kdefives

kdefives

Hello,
    I finished this tutorial https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/cr...189dedbc2a3ae01f0c0e#5ccc3fbfedbc2a41153f3633 . The quest is starting correctly, the apple appears but when i take the apple, nothing happen.
    I can see the apple appears in my inventory but when i go back to discuss with the Archer, he don't talk to me and nothing happen... :(

Can you help me to understand?

I read one more time the tutorial and i correctly setted the Quest GameObject by doing the drag n drop of Conversation Scripts to the Quest in progress and Quest completed fields, as you can see below:
    screenshot.png

Maybe i miss something...?

Thanks in advance for your help!

christianlewis024 likes this.
  18. lmichael123456

lmichael123456

Hi- the sample scene seems to have errors loading any of the provided scripts which come with the package. For example, for CharacterController2D, the object has the error "The associated script cannot be loaded. Please fix any compile errors and assign a valid script." The same error appears for all objects which reference a script provided by the pack. The scene will run and the idle animation will display, but the game is non functional and nothing can be moved. Please help!

19. JacekMackiewicz

JacekMackiewicz

Unity Technologies

Hey!
    Sorry to hear you're having issues getting the kit to run - could you let me know what operating system and unity version you're using? And also how you obtained the Kit? Downloading it through the learn tab of Unity Hub or from the Asset Store in the latest stable (19.2) versions of Unity should be working correctly!
    There's also a slight chance something went wrong while importing - you could try right clicking on the Assets folder in the Project Browser and selecting "Reimport All". This might fix your issues!

20. KookaFr

KookaFr

Hello,
    I'm enjoying this tutorial but...
    Is there a (good) way to save the project for further use, after having turned off the computer? (because when Unity crashed yesterday during the tutorial, I couldn't find my files after the reboot...). Or is it necessary to first create a new project from scratch?

21. KookaFr

KookaFr

My bad...I was able to save the project this time.

22. GadgetEmpress

GadgetEmpress

KookaFr - how did you resolve this? I had to reboot and lost my progress - I keep saving as the tutorial says, but when Unity restarted my custom scene was gone.

23. skatche

skatche

Hi, I had the exact same issue as in the "resolved" thread here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/creator-kit-rpg.693349/#post-4639651

I was using the latest files (downloaded today). When I closed and re-opened it still didn't work, except now the error was "Copying assembly from 'Temp/com.unity.multiplayer-hlapi.Runtime.dll' to 'Library/ScriptAssemblies/com.unity.multiplayer-hlapi.Runtime.dll' failed". I was at the point in the tutorial when I had just added fences.

24. lordice1

lordice1

Is there away to add own tile sets and characters??

25. wechat_os_Qy01XXCV7CbQ5slJrh5RMBXxk

wechat_os_Qy01XXCV7CbQ5slJrh5RMBXxk

Hi, I use the Unity version 2019.2.1f1 and import the project. I had the issue when I opened the project:"IOException: Win32 IO returned 234. Path,C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\8aab0cc61b684a14194bc82507b54a2c\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.multiplayer-hlapi@1.0.2\Tests\Runtime\NetworkManagerGivesErrorWhenNoPlayerPrefabSet\NetworkManagerGivesErrorWhenNoPlayerPrefabSet.cs:"

I have encountered the same problem when I opened other tutorials. Is there any problem with my unity version?

Attached Files:

26. alexerd

alexerd

Welcome to the RPG Creator Kit! If you fancy your self an intrepid adventurer and love completing NPC quests to fill up your inventory, this is the package for you. This Creator Kit is code-free, which means that you can focal point on mastering about the Unity Editor and customizing the game based totally on your personal thoughts and interests.

27. ElenaSp

ElenaSp

I solved this problem by updating all the project packages in the package manager

28. DemonWarhead

DemonWarhead

When i open the project and i just try to run 16 errors come up . Screenshot 2020-02-18 at 10.29.56.png

29. Sukiebleu

Sukiebleu

hiya I've got to 'develop the player experience' and had a problem. I cannot for the life of me work out how to get the yellow story thing to flash up in play mode, and ive not really struggled with any of the other bits. Is it my mac?

30. Valjuin

Valjuin

Does the Story Item show up when you play the Sample Scene?

Screenshot 1 shows Story Item in yellow:
    Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 15.04.00.png

Screenshot 2 shows Story Item as it appears in Game View:
    Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 15.13.53.png

31. kmaksri

kmaksri

I'm having the same problem. The Story Item show up in the Sample Scene but not in the play mode

32. CloudNineDevs

CloudNineDevs

I messed something up with the NPC dialogue thing in the beginner kit and now when I try to interact with the NPC it no work. How fix?

33. Valjuin

Valjuin

In Play Mode, when your player character walks into the space where you have placed the story item, do you hear a beeping sound?

Sukiebleu likes this.
  34. Sukiebleu

Sukiebleu

I'm having the same problem and I do

35. Valjuin

Valjuin

The beeps indicate that the Story Item has been triggered so it should show up, but this will only happen if Text has been added.

36. Yasay

Yasay

I have no Idea what i am doing, I’m supposed to be creating a game for my class and I started the tutorial, got to the house and walls, then when I went to create the roof, It took me to a weird screen, I cant get back to the screen I was working on, and I don’t know what the heck I’m doing. Have gone back through the tutorial to try and redo, please help.

Attached Files:

37. timmccune

timmccune

It appears there are quite a few references missing (Mostly in DialogController) in the most recent download. After reverting the prefab back, Setting the button references to (What I believe) are the right references to their sprite renderer and textmeshpro GOs, Setting the reference for the DialogControllers DialogLayout and its Sprite UI Element components Camera reference to the UI Camera GO. I am able to get it to run. However, when I approach the nearby NPC, the dialogue box appears incorrect (See attached image). Any suggestions? Using Unity 2019.3.0f3.

Attached Files:

38. PolymathicIndustries

PolymathicIndustries

Hi, I am new to unity and I am working my way through the tutorials. I am working on the RPG Creator right now and I am having a major issue. The whole tutorial works except for the UI. For some reason when I speak to a character or when I hit a story item the UI is being printed below the screen. Now, this is not a coding issue, in fact it seems just like a positional issue, but I would REALLY appreciate some guidance on this one. I made a posting at the link below with screenshots detailing my exact problem if you need any reference.

https://answers.unity.com/questions/1702559/how-to-adjust-a-story-item-text-view-when-placed-w.html

39. Frosteye

Frosteye

Hello, I have an issue with this project when editing the background tiles.
    Unity has a very low performance, it's like the engine is processing more than it can handle.
    But as soon as I change to other layer of tiles or exit the tile editor, everything goes back to normal.

Does anyone else have this issue?

40. theunfoldingbutterfly

theunfoldingbutterfly

Did I miss something? I'm able to select a response to the NPC, but I can't enter the response. The conversation doesn't move forward. The dialog boxes just stay as they are in the screenshot. How can I fix this?

Screenshot (360).png Screenshot (358).png

41. theunfoldingbutterfly

theunfoldingbutterfly

Nevermind. I randomly started hitting other keys besides ENTER and RETURN, and the SPACE bar progressed the conversation.

christpb2020 likes this.
  42. psutinrerk

psutinrerk

Hello how do I create a save and load function for Creator Kit: RPG?

dpracer79 likes this.
  43. ShiftyAce

ShiftyAce

I'm having the same issue as one of the previous posters. When I create a storyline item and enter text into the "Config" section as instructed, it will reflect the changes in scene view but will not appear in game mode. I adjusted the collider to a bigger size and tried adjusting the layer to fix, no change. When hitting the collider I hear the beep, but nothing appears. Only support I found through google was this page lol

unityscreen1.png unityscreen2.png

Solved : Ahh I figured it out! So when playing in the standard windowed view through the UI, you can't see it. But something dared me to turn on "Maximize on play" (I found this function in the toolbar on the game display while in play mode)
    After I did that, I saw that it appears on the bottom of the screen! Not sure how to move it at the moment as I don't see it in screen view, but maximizing the play screen will solve this issue if you have it!
    unityscreen3.png

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  44. Valjuin

Valjuin

As, of course, will setting your display as instructed in Part 1.6 of the tutorial:
    Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 13.52.55.png

45. whitedoggames

whitedoggames

HI, i am fully beginer and want to know how to add cutscenes, save load game, startmenu and finish???

46. PolymathicIndustries

PolymathicIndustries

Anyone else having this issue?The whole tutorial works except for the UI. For some reason when I speak to a character or when I hit a story item the UI is being printed below the screen. Now, this is not a coding issue, in fact it seems just like a positional issue, but I would really appreciate some guidance on this one.

47. V1p3r_1966

V1p3r_1966

Every time i go to place a tile it gets really laggy and takes 3 seconds to place one tile. I am using version 2019.3.15f1. Is there a way to fix it so it does not lag?

48. Cheetolickin

Cheetolickin

Hi thanks. For this product I a really enjoying it. I am having an issue though with how to place the prefab objects such as the open door and trees. My character head goes under them when I pass south of them. Does this just have to do with the layer order It comes as?

49. blzngamer

blzngamer

Creating my first NPC dialogue script in the RPG Creator Tutorial walk-through, and my NPC's text box is partially off the screen so that the first line isn't readable. How do I make sure my text box appears in complete visibility on the screen? Thanks!

Attached Files:

PolymathicIndustries likes this.
  50. Scarlet_Dragon

Scarlet_Dragon

Was there a fix for the error:
    Assets\Creator Kit - RPG\Scripts\Gameplay\CharacterController2D.cs(23,9): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'PixelPerfectCamera' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Fired up this tutorial for the first time today, v2019.4.2f1 LTS, downloaded from Unity Hub, I had to do the "save workaround" at step 3 (https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/get-started-with-the-creator-kit-rpg) but can't do step 7 due to the compiler error above.