Search Unity

Official Creator Kit: Puzzle

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Woolley_Kat, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Woolley_Kat

Woolley_Kat

Unity Technologies

marble1 (1).jpg

Unity's Content Team are excited to announce some brand new projects for your code free, drag and drop
    delight. Please use this forum thread for the Puzzle Creator Kit and tell us what you think, we're always looking to improve our content for you.

Find the tutorial on Unity Learn
    Find it on the Asset Store

Learn the basics of Unity in under an hour with our Creator Kits - they're like miniature versions of the bigger Game Kits. Aimed at complete beginners, create your own beautiful physics-based puzzle using ramps, dominoes, spoons and switches to guide your super shiny marble through your marvellous machine. Learn about Unity’s physics system in this step by step beginner tutorial.

Forum post for the RPG Creator Kit
    Forum post for the FPS Creator Kit

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    M_MG_S, muresdav, widesunanda and 2 others like this.
  2. jyotshana_unity

jyotshana_unity

hey I am facing some problem with this kit. (Unity version - 2019.3.0)
    1. project has invalid dependencies.
    2. namespace playerloop does not exist.
    please help me out.

3. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

@jyotshana_unity Hello there! We generally only verify our projects work on released versions of Unity. Do you still get these problems on 2019.1?

4. NorthStar79

NorthStar79

yeah, It does not work with 2019.3 and that sucks. if I was a new user and just get excited with this project. and download the unity the first time. I would certainly download the 2019.3 why? because there is no way to know which version is alpha for an untrained eye. And there is no (not a single) warning about version incompatibilities regarding to project in "Unity Learn"
    Yeah, you created very nice learning opportunity here but you lose all newcomers by the same time.

I don't know how you manage this but you are doing it every single time. Please stop. stop and think about your standard QA criteria.

5. Rowlan

Rowlan

The puzzle is really nice, thank you very much for that. A few questions if I may:

* I tried to create a pinball from it, but when I rotate the flipper by 90 degree and hit the space bar, nothing happens. Why is that and how can I change that?

* collision detection is Discrete instead of Continuous Speculative. Wouldn't the latter be more appropriate?

* on the Flipper gameobject RigidBody and Hinge Joint aren't editable, not even in the prefab. Why is that and how can I make it editable?

6. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

@NorthStar79 Hello there, thanks for your feedback. Do you think we should do something to make it more obvious which the intended versions are? At the moment it's only implicit that we only support released/non-beta/non-alpha versions.

@Rowlan Hello there, I will do my best to answer your questions. Firstly if you know what the difference between discrete and continuous speculative collision detection is, this project might be a bit too beginner for you. The target audience for this project is someone with no game development experience at all. Everything is locked off so that beginners have fewer opportunities to go wrong. For example, that's why the Rigidbody and Hinge Joint components are greyed out when you look at the Flipper's inspector.
    * The Flipper script simply turns on the Hinge Joint's Motor. In order to make it work in different directions, you may need to adjust the direction of the hinge's axis. This will depend on exactly how you are rotating it though.
    * Continuous Speculative is generally good for very fast moving colliders, not really required for this kit but if you want to speed things up then it might be worth switching.
    * Should have read this question before I answered it above! So as I mentioned, this is aimed at absolute beginners and we've done our best to cater for them specifically - options are limited in order to try and stop users from doing things outside of the scope of the kit. To make them editable, open the InteractivePuzzlePieceEditor script and comment out the OnEnable and OnDisable methods.

Rowlan likes this.
  7. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

IMPORTANT!

This project is aimed at complete beginners meant as an introduction to Unity.
    It is very closely tied with the tutorial found here: https://learn.unity.com/project/creator-kit-puzzle We have tried to close off some options to make it more difficult to make mistakes or to do things outside of the tutorial's scope. This does not mean that people who aren't absolute beginners cannot use the kit but they should be aware of the reasoning behind a lot of the decisions made when developing this project.

Rowlan likes this.
  8. roshan090

roshan090

My 2nd marble stuck in air. how can i solve this problem. i specify the starting marble and target marble both.
    thanks

9. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

@roshan090 It sounds like your marbles are stuck with IsKinematic being true. This is set to false for the starting marble when the level timer starts but should be set to false by default for all other marbles.

roshan090 likes this.
  10. roshan090

roshan090

thank i got it.
    but for other marbles they are also IsKinematic. how can they unchecked IsKinematic run time or i should unchecked them manually ?

11. NorthStar79

NorthStar79

You can write this in bold into the top of the Learn page

12. Rowlan

Rowlan

I really love what you guys are doing here. And I wish there were more. This project actually made me want to try to create a pinball machine. It would be really nice if you guys would extend this tutorial with even more physics examples.

By the way which license is that, i. e. can the scripts be freely used?

13. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

@roshan090 you need to manually set the ones that are not part of the timing system.
    @NorthStar79 we are are in the process of making a change like this I believe (I'm not in charge of the Asset Store side of things).
    @Rowlan everything that we make you are totally free to use in whatever way you wish. The only exception is fonts, we do our best to provide fonts that are totally free for any use but always check the license that we provide with them before using them.

roshan090 and Rowlan like this.
  14. roshan090

roshan090

i checked this kit and found this kit is purely designed for the pc games because you are using post processing in it
    i tried to implement light weight render to convert mobile game but m losing lighting and fog effects how i can convert the post processing render for mobile

15. widesunanda

widesunanda

Thank you

16. fct509

fct509

I just started this just started this as a way to get more familiar with the changes made to Unity 2019.2, and it turns out that while the instructions say that this is compatible with Unity 2019.1 and 2019.2, it's not possible to open with Unity 2019.2 if you follow the instructions.

I'll repeat, for those that follow the tutorial's instructions, it is NOT possible to open the project if you use Unity 2019.2. I'm sure it's possible to open it if you don't follow the instructions, but if this tutorial is intended for beginners then it failed at the very start. Step one of the tutorial says it can be done with Unity 2019.2, and step two (which is basically, open the project that we will be using for all of this) can NOT be completed if you use Unity 2019.2.

That's a bit of an issue.

17. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

@fct509 Hello there, sorry to hear it's going wrong for you. We've tested with 2019.2 and it seems to be working fine. Could you please elaborate on what exactly is going wrong so we can look into this further? Does the Unity editor completely fail to open? The more details the better. Thank you.

18. fct509

fct509

I, personally, am able to open the project with Unity 2019.2. Yet, I'm able to do so, because I'm not a beginner, which is the intended audience. I did not say that the project doesn't work with Unity 2019.2, I said that instructions in the tutorial do not work with Unity 2019.2. I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

So, as the tutorial is right now, a person won't be able to open this unless they first open it with Unity 2019.1. If a User were to follow the instructions as they are written, this makes Unity 2019.1 a requirement that cannot be substituted with Unity 2019.2. The instructions say that this tutorial "is only compatible with Unity 2019.1 onward". That quote gives the implication that you should be able to follow the instructions from the very start with Unity 2019.2, which is not the case. Also, Section 1 says to download the latest official release of Unity, which is currently Unity 2019.2.3f1. That's two locations that give the impression that a User should be able to follow this tutorial with Unity 2019.2 from start to finish.

Section 2, step 5 (to be precise) tells the User to click on the "OPEN PROJECT" button inside the "Learn" tab of Unity Hub. This button is grayed out unless you have at lease one version of Unity 2019.1 installed. So, if the User doesn't have Unity 2019.1 installed on the machine they are using, then continuing by following the instructions will not be possible for the intended audience.

salehHaddawi likes this.
  19. Seniorman14

Seniorman14

The creator puzzle kit is really awesome but i'm really facing a problem. When I build the project, the only scene that opens is the menu. Apart from that, none is opening:(. It's really getting me annoyed

20. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

@Seniorman14 could you describe what is happening in a little more detail please? Are there options to open other scenes in the menu but they don't work or are there no scenes at all? When you build, which scenes are in the build settings menu?

seyamos likes this.
  21. Michael_Manchester

Michael_Manchester

Problem - When I play the sample game and reach the second level, the ball goes through the funnel, lands on the ramp and stops at the gate. But there's no instruction on how to make the gate open. If I press the space bar as I did to make the hammer and flipper move, nothing happens.

Question - When I start making my own scene and adding ramps, I kept clicking in the scene window which added multiple copies of the same ramp. I didn't mean to do that and want to delete most of the ramps and replace them with others. But the only ramp I can select is the last one added. If I click anywhere else the background is selected. But if I exit my scene and reopen it, I can then click any of the ramps I want and press delete. Why can't I just do that immediately?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  22. michaeldzbenski

michaeldzbenski

I have the same issue. When I build a WebGL Version of the game, it builds successfully, but with some errors. The game starts, but when you click on the levels it takes you right back to the Menu screen.

I get these in the Console:

Script attached to 'WebGL Settings' in scene '' is missing or no valid script is attached.
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Script attached to 'WebGL Providers' in scene '' is missing or no valid script is attached.
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

This one also creeps around...
    Assets\Creator Kit - Puzzle\Scripts\Audio\RotationalVelocityAudio.cs(8,26): warning CS0109: The member 'RotationalVelocityAudio.rigidbody' does not hide an accessible member. The new keyword is not required.

Take out "new" it says you need it, leave it in and it says to take it out.

Please help!

23. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

@Michael_Manchester For the Problem section, the gate should open when you press and hold the space bar. I have confirmed that it works on the official version. Is it possible you changed something in the scene? Try reimporting that scene and see if it works. For the Question section, the LevelLayout GameObject has a Puzzle Layout Script which has a Remove button. Simply select the Remove button and then click on the parts you wish to remove in the scene.

@michaeldzbenski There are some bugs with the menu system which are in the process of being fixed currently. It's possible that these bugs are causing the problems you're experiencing when building to WebGL. Please try again when the new version comes out.

24. Aquaprncss

Aquaprncss

Hey, thanks for the tutorial!

I am wondering if it is possible to add a button, on which the Player can click at and gets text displayed, without adding scripts.

25. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

@Aquaprncss We're not adding features to this anymore I'm afraid. If you give me a little more context for what you are trying to achieve I can help you with it though.

26. Krokbenet

Krokbenet

Hi, I am trying the tutorial and I currently have the the example scene open. I'm using Unity 2020.1.0f1. It works fine, but when i click level 01 in play mode, the screen is black, except the time counter in the top left and the press R to restart. The counter is also overwriting itself, without erasing previous numbers. The music is on, and some sounds pop up if I move around the mouse.
    One error is shown in the bottom of the screen: MultiScaleVODownsample.2.compute: Kernel at index (0) is invalid.

Is this problem just in my computer, or could it be something with the new Unity update? his is the first time I try the tutorial.

Thanks, Johan

charlieSQ and Deleted User like this.
  27. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

Hi @Krokbenet thanks very much for letting us know. We hadn't seen this bug during testing, does it reproduce 100% of the time? Was the bug present as soon as you started using the project or was it after you made some changes? Any additional help you can provide would be extremely useful. Thanks again!

28. Johnscaban

Johnscaban

The creator puzzle kit is really cool but I'm facing a problem. When I build the project, the scene that opens is the menu. The levels are displayed, but when I try to enter them, it doesn't open. Please fix this.:( P.S: I'm using Unity 2020.1.1f

29. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

@johnscaban Hello there! Sorry you're having trouble. We recently uploaded a new version of this project. Is this the one you're having trouble with? If you're not sure, go to the ExampleMenu scene, on the MenuCanvas gameobject check the SceneMenu script. If it has the Setup Scenes button then it's the new version, if not it's the old version. If you're using the old version please can you try the new one to see if you still have the same problem.

30. Johnscaban

Johnscaban

@JamesB Hello! and yes, I was using the old version. I uploaded the new version and it solved the problem. Thanks for helping me!;)

31. Anieways

Anieways

Thanks @JamesB, that's quite helpful!
    Would be nice to reinforce this in the tutorial as well.
    Took me sometime to land on this page here. A quick note within the tutorial would have made a big difference.

32. dubois121

dubois121

thank you for the tutorials.

creator kit : pinball possible ? with the leds inserts and GI

33. NicoB

NicoB

"Hi @Krokbenet thanks very much for letting us know. We hadn't seen this bug during testing, does it reproduce 100% of the time? Was the bug present as soon as you started using the project or was it after you made some changes? Any additional help you can provide would be extremely useful. Thanks again!"

Hello , I got the same issue in the FPS about the kernel issue, here is the log

IndexOutOfRangeException: Invalid kernelIndex (1) passed, must be non-negative less than 4.
    UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.MultiScaleVO.PushRenderCommands (UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer cmd, System.Int32 source, System.Int32 destination, UnityEngine.Vector3 sourceSize, System.Single tanHalfFovH, System.Boolean isMSAA) (at Local/Temp/d694b4e5a17dace41ab0c2056d0d5975/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@2.3.0/PostProcessing/Runtime/Effects/MultiScaleVO.cs:371)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.MultiScaleVO.GenerateAOMap (UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer cmd, UnityEngine.Camera camera, UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderTargetIdentifier destination, System.Nullable`1[T] depthMap, System.Boolean invert, System.Boolean isMSAA) (at AppData/Local/Temp/d694b4e5a17dace41ab0c2056d0d5975/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@2.3.0/PostProcessing/Runtime/Effects/MultiScaleVO.cs:172)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.MultiScaleVO.RenderAfterOpaque (UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessRenderContext context) (at Local/Temp/d694b4e5a17dace41ab0c2056d0d5975/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@2.3.0/PostProcessing/Runtime/Effects/MultiScaleVO.cs:505)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessLayer.BuildCommandBuffers () (at /Local/Temp/d694b4e5a17dace41ab0c2056d0d5975/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@2.3.0/PostProcessing/Runtime/PostProcessLayer.cs:570)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessLayer.OnPreCull () (at Local/Temp/d694b4e5a17dace41ab0c2056d0d5975/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@2.3.0/PostProcessing/Runtime/PostProcessLayer.cs:462)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)
    MultiScaleVODownsample1.compute: Kernel at index (0) is invalid
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)

Thanks !

34. Xiw

Xiw

Found a workaround here (http://answers.unity.com/answers/1765280/view.html).

35. Albear

Albear

Hello I get to the second stage of the tutorial where ive downloaded it via the hub and opened it and it says now save but it keeps telling me i have to save in the asset folder of my project, but when i try to save it in the asset folder it just repeats the message, any ideas what im doing wrong?

36. Albear

Albear

Doesnt matter, saving didnt work so i got frustrated and closed it and it asked if i wanted to keep it and then it let me save it so problem solved

37. Albear

Albear

38. amitoren85

amitoren85

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi I downloaded Unity 2020.1.11f1 and this project from the Hub a few days ago. I checked my Inspector and under the SceneMenu (Script) I definitely have a button at the bottom to Setup Scenes so I have the newest version but when I press play it's still just a black screen. In your tutorial:
    7.Creator Kit: Puzzle release note for Unity 2019.1
    This Creator Kit is best used with the most recent release of Unity. If you find any technical issues when working through the tutorials, please report them to us in the forum.
    One bug in this Creator Kit has been identified:
    • If a level is accessed by menu when it is loaded in Play Mode for the first time, it will appear unlit. Once it has been loaded and played, it will no longer appear unlit when accessed by menu.
    This issue will not affect the build of your game, and has been fixed for future Unity Editor releases.​

However I'm still having this bug with the latest version of unity as well as the latest project. I also tried to load Level 1 but it was also just a black screen. For good measure I tried to play from the ExampleMenu as well but still black.

The Console seems to giving many errors. I don't know enough to know what the errors mean, but I see other users were having Kernal issues and that's definitely a word popping up in my error messages as well

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

This solved my problem

41. Johnscaban

Johnscaban

Hello, I'm facing new problems. I copied all of the content in all three example scenes and pasted it on new scenes. I renamed each new scene along with its lighting settings and the scene references (I like to be descriptive with the names). After that I play-tested the game and each time I press R it restarts on either level 1 or 3. Note: If I'm on level 1 or 2, it restarts on level 1, and if I'm on level 3, 4, 5, or 6, it restarts in level 3. Also when I play level 2, it never gives me three stars even though the required time is 6.5 and I finish the level at 6.12. And when from level 2 I go to the menu it doesn't register any of the stars I gained on level 2. It also gives me this error:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    2. Parameter name: index
    3. System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException (System.ExceptionArgument argument, System.ExceptionResource resource) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    4. System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException () (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    5. System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T].set_Item (System.Int32 index, T value) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    6. SceneReferenceEditor.GetAllSceneReferences () (at Assets/Creator Kit - Puzzle/Scripts/Editor/SceneReferenceEditor.cs:70)
    7. SceneReferencesBuildSetup.GetSceneReferencesFromActiveScene (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[SceneReference]& sceneReferences) (at Assets/Creator Kit - Puzzle/Scripts/Editor/SceneReferencesBuildSetup.cs:60)
    8. SceneReferencesBuildSetup.PlayModeStateChanged (UnityEditor.PlayModeStateChange playModeStateChange) (at Assets/Creator Kit - Puzzle/Scripts/Editor/SceneReferencesBuildSetup.cs:22)
    9. UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_PlayModeStateChanged (UnityEditor.PlayModeStateChange state) (at <bd45cfd5e8c2437da9b5cc29b19f336f>:0)
    10. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)
    and this error appears repeated when I click on a scene reference:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.IsChildrenIncluded (UnityEditor.SerializedProperty prop) (at <bd45cfd5e8c2437da9b5cc29b19f336f>:0)
    3. UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.PropertyField (UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUIContent label, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at <bd45cfd5e8c2437da9b5cc29b19f336f>:0)
    4. SceneReferenceEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Creator Kit - Puzzle/Scripts/Editor/SceneReferenceEditor.cs:32)
    5. UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<>c__DisplayClass58_0.<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>b__0 () (at <bd45cfd5e8c2437da9b5cc29b19f336f>:0)
    6. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)
    Please help me! I'm using Unity 2020.1.14f

42. Johnscaban

Johnscaban

I broke the game because I duplicated the example scenes and added them to the user created scenes! Is there any way I can fix it without deleting and reimporting from zero the project?

43. Skeckulous

Skeckulous

Still broken when trying to use. Can you guys fix the project? Currently the solution is below, but at step 6 of the first part of the project, you can't render the scene as it's entirely black and the console is filled with errors. It's hard to send people to these tutorials if they don't work right off the bat and if it requires them to debug/fix things about the tutorial before they even start.

Current Solution (note if you're on a Mac thne swap out Windows for Mac below):

If you're loading up just a black screen, I found a solution in the forums. Using 2020.1.11f1 and have the latest project package

44. Agmdaniel

Agmdaniel

This doesn't work at all. First I got one batch of error messages like:
    Assets\Creator Kit - Puzzle\Scripts\Visuals\TargetGroupWeightControl.cs(3,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Cinemachine' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

then I got a new error message:
    Assets\Creator Kit - Puzzle\Scripts\Visuals\TargetGroupWeightControl.cs(3,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Cinemachine' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

45. Mauri

Mauri

Both error messages are the same, though?!

Have you made sure that the
    Cinemachine
    package is installed? (See How-to install packages)

GregoryLane likes this.
  46. Agmdaniel

Agmdaniel

I've only owned Unity for about a month, and in fact only had it for maybe 2 weeks when I made that post. Remember, this puzzle game is created BY Unity FOR Unity, specifically for new people who have never used Unity before. Not only don't I know what you're talking about, it tells me that Unity is a buggy, flawed mess if it expects new people to compensate for its many bugs and mistakes.

Still, there is happy good news. I filed an official complaint with Unity on their official bug complaint area, and some guy from Unity support wrote me back in like 20 minutes and fixed it; he explained to me how to do something where I updated a bunch of asset somethings from the unity registry. So this is still a buggy mess of an intro game-- BUT Unity does have great free customer support!

GregoryLane likes this.
  47. Vector035

Vector035

In 2020 v I just Haven't download or open project, only "view tutorials"

48. LootHunter

LootHunter

Huge thanks for the workaround. Issue still exists in 2020.3. But at least I don't have to post and wait for tech support reply.

49. The_McLaughlin

The_McLaughlin

Here's a question for something I don't really understand. I went though and did this tutorial. When I do the build. Testing the game in Unity the first level the marble is lined up with the track and falls down onto the track at the start of the game. I ensured that I hit set up scenes in the Menu Canvas before starting the build of the game. But whenever I build the .exe file I open it up and click the first level and the marble is no longer lined up and drops behind the track... any ideas on how to fix that one?

50. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

@The_McLaughlin Just to clarify does following these steps result in the issue you mention:
    1. You setup your scenes in the editor.
    2. You test all your scenes in the editor.
    3. They all work.
    4. Without changing anything else, you build the project.
    5. The scenes no longer work.
    Is that right? If so that is exceptionally strange because building does not affect the serialized data in scenes (such as object positions).