Search Unity

Official Creator Kit: FPS

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Woolley_Kat, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Woolley_Kat

Woolley_Kat

Unity Technologies

FPS_AssetStore_SocialMedia_BrainRoom with Gun (1).jpg
    Unity's Content Team are excited to announce THREE brand new projects for your code free, drag and drop delight. Please use this forum thread for the FPS Creator Kit and tell us what you think, we're always looking to improve our content for you.

Find the tutorial on Unity Learn
    Find it on the Asset Store

Learn the basics of Unity in under an hour with our Creator Kits - they're like miniature versions of the bigger Game Kits. Aimed at complete beginners, create your own 3D level with our room snapping tool, learn about enemies, prefabs and ending a game level with this beginner's FPS Creator Kit.

Forum post for the Puzzle Creator Kit
    Forum post for the RPG Creator Kit

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    M_MG_S, Gametyme, Mauri and 1 other person like this.
  2. Gabosaurus

Gabosaurus

Hi,
    I'm following the Creator Kits: FPS tutorial and at the Design your own level, Add you own Room, the Editing Layout doesn't seem to generate the rooms at the doors. Moving the mouse around doesn't show the position of new rooms or corridors (neither does pressing R).

I'm using Unity 2019.1.5f1.

G.

3. UnityRos

UnityRos

Unity Technologies

Hi @Gabosaurus!

Sorry you're having trouble with the Creator Kit: FPS. We need a little more information to help:

Did you select a room or corridor thumbnail image, before moving your cursor from the Inspector into the Scene view? The selected room or corridor will appear greyed out -- see the example below:

Screenshot 2019-07-08 at 17.19.15.png

2. If so, could you please take us a similar screenshot of your Scene view and the Inspector? Then we'll be able to investigate this issue in more detail.

4. Gabosaurus

Gabosaurus

Hi,

The issue is with both corridor and room. For example, the first corridor can be placed correctly but I can't continue it with another one.

One corridor added, but can't place another one after it.
    ScreenShot1.png

Try to delete it, but it's never selected (in orange)

ScreenShot3.png

Same with Room.

ScreenShot2.png

TY,
    G

5. JacekMackiewicz

JacekMackiewicz

Unity Technologies

Hey Gabosaurus,

I tried to reproduce your issue but couldn't get it to occur on my end. I've got some questions for you to help us track it down and fix it!

Would you be able to share any of the console errors you're receiving in the console? Seems like there is some NullReferenceException error.

Sometimes when projects aren't working correctly but should be, it could help to try a Reimport of the project - to do this right click anywhere within the project window and select "Reimport All". This process goes through importing every asset into your project as if it was opening it for the first time - which can oftentimes lead to a fix in case some files didn't import correctly upon initial opening. Alternatively, deleting the Library folder from your disk where the project is stored can have the same effect (This folder will be reacquired when the project is opened again).
    Good luck and keep us updated!

6. R1PFake

R1PFake

Can you explain why you used this specific skybox? Since it's not visible to the player, I assume that it was only picked for lighting settings?

It looks like the LevelLayout scripts hides all rooms from the hierarchy (by setting a HideInHierarchy flag). Can you explain why? Is it just to keep the hierarchy "cleaner" or is there any other purpose for this? Was a little confusing to be honest.

7. andyz

andyz

Your asset link above is broken and the tutorial site tries to make a popup to link to asset store download!

8. ayellowpaper

ayellowpaper

Hey,

first of all thanks to the content team for the effort you put into the packages. It's really appreciated.
    While I'm an advanced developer I'm more interested in the code and stumbled over this bit:

HideFlags.png

Maybe it's finally time to get HideFlags to serialize in the editor if even the content team needs to resort to a hack? I've done the same thing myself more often than I wanted to. Also, maybe make the objects unclickable as well. It has always bothered me that I can completely hide the object in the hierarchy but still be able to click on it.

EDIT: Other than that I think that the assets are very beautiful. I just wish we'd get more advanced games instead of these mini games. I understand the goal is to teach beginners, but we already have a wealth of beginner tutorials and resources. We are still missing a bigger project and a more indepth tutorial going in more detail how to create proper systems with Unity. Something like multiple levels, managing game states, level streaming (an open world) or something along those lines.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Molecule_Arts and Adam-Bailey like this.
  9. Roostay

Roostay

Firstly, i've very new to Unity, having only recently completed John Lemon, I set about the FPS tutorial. it all seems to be relatively straight-forward, until I reach the End Game. I've move the Box Collider a long way from the start point, howeverloading the

10. Roostay

Roostay

as soon as my head hit the pillow I realised it... the End Checkpoint Script is non-specific as to what needs to collide in order to end the game; i've an enemy too close to it! :rolleyes:

11. Aydom

Aydom

Hello Unity Team,

A big thanks for producing such great content. One thing I noticed is that the footstep sounds don't play when you have the other weapons equipped. Is this a bug? Or is it part of the tutorial to fix that issue?

12. ThegreenY

ThegreenY

First of all I must say that I like the whole thing so far quite well, I only noticed one thing that I don't like so well.
    I've been trying to add a main menu for 8 hours now, but it didn't work, could you add something like that?

Wanted to do the whole thing the following measurements:

- 3 Buttons:
    - 1. Play Game --> Level Select --> Load Level
    - 2. Settings | Credits or other
    - 3. Exit Game

- Pause Menu:
    - Exit Game --> Return to Menu

13. Corsello

Corsello

Hi,
    such a great kit, i love it!
    I'm getting a lot of warnings about missing scripts, is this normal or am i missing something?

FPS kit.png

14. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

15. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Hey, looks like you're missing packages from the package manager, which is where some Unity features are kept. Try closing the editor and opening the project again.

If that fails right click in the project window and select 're-import all'

16. Corsello

Corsello

Hi,
    neither of these solution worked for me, but i updated unity to 2019.2 and the project seems to works fine now, i don't have warnings anymore.There are 2 music tracks in the audio folder but i am only listening to sound effects, is this normal?
    Thanks!

FPS kit.png

17. LindsayD622

LindsayD622

Mine wont even open. I have the 2919.2.2 Unity update but I still can't open it through my hub or through the asset store. How do I resolve this

Attached Files:

18. Valjuin

Valjuin

Unity Hub -> Down arrow next to the “New” button -> Select 2019.2.2f1

Select 3D Template -> Name your project and enter location to save to -> Click on Create

In Unity main menu -> Window -> Asset Store

In Asset Store window, search for Creator Kit: FPS

Click on Creator Kit: FPS -> Import

When Import Unity Package window opens, click on Import.

19. Stefan86

Stefan86

Hello..
    Can I Use the Player Character and the Enemy Characters in a Commercial Game?

20. ZDragon_

ZDragon_

Can anyone help me why my VS is all like this?
    They(the dlls) all seem missing,VS cannot find the dll file?And System.void\object havent been imported,why all like this?
    plz~Orz
    jeeez im gonna crazy

Attached Files:

21. iAmEbola

iAmEbola

I am enjoying this content and tutorial for us beginners. I am a mechanical drafter by trade and spend a lot of time designing 3D Components. So the zoom/pan/rotate and moving around the scene is quite foreign to me based on what I'm used to. Little frustrating, but that's part of learning.

I had an interesting thing where I was creating the rooms and corridors part and started populating the new areas with more enemies. Went to the 3rd corridor and somehow the Targets folder disspeared! I couldn't find it.

I tried reimporting, but nothing. So I closed out. Opened it back up and it reloaded everything brand new and I now have to start all over again. Second time in the past 24 hours. Why does it not save the scene I created? It is like it redownloads the whole turorial and overwrites everything. I'm not one to repeat the same thing over and over. What's going on?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  22. JacekMackiewicz

JacekMackiewicz

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the issues you've encountered with the FPS Creator Kit. It sounds like the Targets folder has been deleted accidentally - Did you search for the Folder using the Project Windows Search function in the upper right of the window?
    If a folder is deleted, reimporting the project won't bring it back, as the reimport functionality goes through every Asset/file currently within the Assets folder and imports it again. (though it is possible to restore a deleted folder by going to your Operating System Trash/Recycle Bin and restoring the folder along with it's meta file).

In regards to resetting all your progress, our tutorials work in a specific way different to a usual Unity Project. Redownloading a Learn Project clears all progress so you can follow the steps. However opening a pre-existing Learn Project through the Unity Hub will give you access to any scenes you have worked on and saved. To do this you need to select the "Keep" option when closing the Unity Editor. Otherwise the Learn project is forgotten and removed from your hard drive.

iAmEbola likes this.
  23. iAmEbola

iAmEbola

Thank you for your reply. That's what I was thinking after I thought about it for some time; or I accidentally moved it to another sub-folder. Who knows? LOL

I only manually searched the folders within the project itself manually to see if I just misplaced it or whatever. I didn't do a comprehensive search, no.

Gotcha on the reimport aspect.

I was opening the tutorial from the Unity Hub. I don't recall getting a "Keep" option when I closed. Odd. I guess I'll have to pay better attention.

Thanks again!

JacekMackiewicz likes this.
  24. CHS_CS254

CHS_CS254

I've probably screwed a few things up and just can't find what I did but.. I can't get my game to start at the beginning. When I try to play, the camera shows the begining but the end level menu is up and the screen is grayed out. Suggestions?

25. steppkek

steppkek

I can't donload any creator kits because the button is just blank

26. alexerd

alexerd

Thanks for sharing good information

27. Youngnoh

Youngnoh

I can click and select SkullRoom or SkullRoom_Brain game object in Scene view.
    But they are not shown in Hierarchy window.
    Does this project have special features that hide some game objects in Hierarchy window?
    How do I make them visible in Hierarchy window?

28. marcolbx

marcolbx

29. Kriszo91

Kriszo91

Hello!

Any way to blend with FPS Microgame?

30. nileshcentury

nileshcentury

Hello,
    I was able to finish FPS creator kit and followed most of the ideas. I have a question on modifying end screen. When player hits end level, end game screen pops up showing target hit, penalty, score,etc. How can I change text on this screen. I followed how to change all math from scripts. But other passive text such as title etc. is something I wish to add. Please let me know how to access this to add more text to this. Thanks

31. player123753

player123753

I followed the tutorials to set up a Endpoint, and when I pressed the play button to test the game, it just showed the cutscene of endgame without any action. that endpoint was different from I set. I don't know what mistakes I made. Could someone help me to figure out? Thanks a lot.

32. Bruno_jogo

Bruno_jogo

How do I update?
    Already deleted the FPS creator kit and redownloaded it and I'm still having the same issue "import parameters got modified during import".
    I can solve this error by reimporting, however, any changes, get saved in a different folder and not user friendly, as follows: C:\users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Temp\<the name of the project constituted by letters and numbers>.
    If I get any new error I will update about this subject.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  33. GregoryLane

GregoryLane

34. GregoryLane

GregoryLane

In addition to sharing your levels during our Learn Live course on June 2, 2020, We will also be answering any questions you have about this project or FPS level design.

Write your question in advance here: https://connect.unity.com/p/have-your-question-answered-live
    and don't forget to register to attend part 3 of our Learn Live series: https://create.unity3d.com/register-zoom-webinar?w=98768566283

35. Derp_Cat_Studios

Derp_Cat_Studios

I am having an issue with the kit. I was going to open it when it did not import, but I use Unity Version 2019.3.015f

36. DSivtsov

DSivtsov

Issue "Character moving (to left) without any input"
    Workaround
    I detected that the joystick, which didn't use, can give some noise which was detected by code as the command to move the character.
    After I disconnected joysticks all, the all stochastic movement was finished.

37. cbfunky

cbfunky

I would like to add that I'm also having issues with the import, getting the same "import parameters got modified during import" as some peeps above - the view is just empty, there are no scenes or anything available. I just update to the latest version of Unity (2020), so that shouldn't be the issue. Have there been any ways on how to solve this?

38. DSivtsov

DSivtsov

Issue "Add the Sounds to new Target"
    "5.Add the Target Sounds
    1. In the Hierarchy, click the grey arrow to the left of the GermSpike GameObject. This will reveal its child GameObjects: HitPlayer and IdlePlayer." https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/cu...d569edbc2a08736db6f5#5ef6a4e8edbc2a252af47379
    But the childs of the GermSpike: HitPlayer and IdlePlayer is absent.
    Workaround
    It can be copied (GameObjects: HitPlayer and IdlePlayer) from other target object (GermSlime).

Deleted User likes this.
  39. rahulwahi42

rahulwahi42

Hi, I am new to Unity, I just started the tutorial. I am getting a black screen on playing the game. Kindly help me with this
    upload_2020-9-21_23-56-25.png upload_2020-9-21_23-57-16.png

Wang_w571 likes this.
  40. shadow300z

shadow300z

Exact same situation. Fired it up and have the same black screen with white hud.

41. Dadou-6942

Dadou-6942

How can i change the size of the map pls

42. cjmcnabb

cjmcnabb

I'm also new, and also having this issue. HOWEVER. First i was on windows 10 with a fresh unity install. Installed this project and its version. Black screen just like this, ui showing, i can shoot in game and hear it but all i see is black. I thought well hmm, maybe its my graphics settings that ive changed for win10. SO i install a fresh ubuntu 20.04 desktop. Download the hub, download this project, run it. BOOM works... BUT after making other changes to the settings of ubuntu display etc, i go back into the project and play it... BLACK SCREEN white blurry hud just like before?!

TL:DR - Windows 10 AND Ubuntu 20.04 are having this same issue on my machine. BUT it worked on a CLEAN ubuntu 20.04 install. Hope this helps isolate the problem. IDK whether to delete this partition and fresh install ubuntu again or just give up with the project.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  43. cjmcnabb

cjmcnabb

Well i just fixed it.

The black screen were seeing is on loading our SAVED version of the Project. If you just go to Learn - and open the project by reimporting it, it runs just fine. The issue must be related to HOW were saving our project. Maybe how the scene name is referenced? Is there a right and wrong way to save an example project like this?

Deleted User likes this.
  44. Deleted User

Deleted User

The lack on instructions on saving protocols is really frustrating. Usually there's a best practice for saving projects so the directories interact well, but following the tutorial it asks us to save a scene to an assets folder in user/AppData/Local/Temp/numbersandletters/Assets and then make a new Unity Folder for the project as a whole in Documents and then open THAT project from the Hub. But apparently this doesn't work as I had the exact same black screen issues as @rahulwahi42 . Finally exited everything and did as @cjmcnabb did and opened the project fresh from the Learn section of Unity Hub and it works. Here's hoping I can save this version without errors??? As someone brand new to Unity, my first 3 hours of just trying to get started have been incredibly rage-inducing. Someone needs to be going through these basic tutorials and making them better for complete novice students.

Kalennienna likes this.
  45. anilcool

anilcool

Error while importing in 2020.2.1f1 version

upload_2020-12-27_15-24-45.png

N0rseG0d0din likes this.
  46. brian1gramm1

brian1gramm1

I'll tell you what...This project is so messed up. I've not seen any answered to all the problems ppl have been having, and I have seen them all on my trail run of this project. I might as well just start from scratch and do it all myself

EDIT: After much studying of the LevelLayout.cs code. I solved the issue with why the editor would not let users move, place, or rotate new rooms.

FIX: Reset your editor layout to default.
    The issue lies with the makers of the code trying to force focus on the scene view on lines 403-407:
    //Since the scene view is not having focus after we choose a new room, pressing R won't rotate it until
    //we click on the scene view. So we force focus on windows. But we only do it if the cursor is above the
    //scene view otherwise we mess focus on OSX with the scene view always stealing focus from other app
    if (SceneView.currentDrawingSceneView.position.Contains(GUIUtility.GUIToScreenPoint(Event.current.mousePosition)))
    SceneView.currentDrawingSceneView.Focus();

This code does not take in to effect the known Unity Glitch with the Custom Editor Window Layout that has yet to be fixed. By reseting your layout ot default, it corrects this error. I'm still working on all the other problems ppl have noticed, but at this major one is fixed.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  47. N0rseG0d0din

N0rseG0d0din

I'm having the exact same issue

48. R1PFake

R1PFake

Im not sure what's going on in your projects but I opend the project and had 0 issues, everything works fine for me. Maybe try to reinstall Unity or redownload the package.

49. N0rseG0d0din

N0rseG0d0din

I tried Reinstalling multiple times and I still get the same issue. One thing I did notice is that it was creating the projects in my AppData/Local/Temp folder

50. R1PFake

R1PFake

Did you import the project with the Unity Hub ("Learn" tab) or did you download it manually from the Asset Store? I downloaded mine from the Asset Store without the hub, maybe that makes a difference, but im not sure.

GregoryLane likes this.