Search Unity

Feedback [Bug] [Needs to be adressed] Access denied

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by Deleted User, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I use Chrome, up-to-date.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Happened today again:

Reference #18.98e24817.1651387689.3054cc43

It's not because I'm the only one reporting this that I'm the only one experiencing it. :)

I'm using Firefox 99.0.1 (64 bits) on Linux Mint, up to date. I use private windows only which means that cookies, history and the rest are deleted each time I close it. I also refuse all the cookies when I connect here.

And you are the only site that gives me problems (well, not the only one but the other is not a big one like yours). I suspect that the problem is related to me refusing the cookies, your partners might not like that at all.

Sorry but it's not for us to find a workaround; thanks for the info though maybe others will want to use it. :)

nasos_333 likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Today again: Reference #18.88a51002.1651815343.1a2e8c6

nasos_333 likes this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Okay, I get it, this will never be fixed.

Today's reference: Reference #18.c4e24817.1651905878.dacd61

nasos_333 likes this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

I hope you like it, Unity:

Screenshot 2022-05-19 174329.png

I got re-access by applying my workaround.​

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

bump, still happening these days

Happens in my desktop, all browsers i tried (Opera, Chrome)

Does not happen on my mobile, so i can check forum normally there

7. nasos_333

nasos_333

Update: It seems to happen randomly, also happens in mobile now

Please fix, as is impossible to visit the forums normally

8. khos

khos

What is going on at Unity?! Why do partners control their sites? I guess cost related... with service clearly impacted, seems like a bad service.

nasos_333 likes this.
  9. khos

khos

If I see the error I refresh a few times and then the page loads, just some info to share

nasos_333 likes this.
  10. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi, the issue is still happening and with much larger frequency than before.

It fixes itself after few minutes, then happens again, but renders the forums rather unusable at this point

It happens in every browser and platform, i think is related to the load of data a user accesses, e.g. if i dont open any thread can browse more time without see the issue, if open many heavy in images threads then get the error for sure directly.

So i think is just a stopper of drawing too much data from the company handling your traffic

Hope this helps

Note that forums lately are unusable due to this issue, i get constantly the problem and blocks me for many minutes, which means cant also provide asset support and do proper discussion in threads etc

This is by far and away the most critical thing currently and should be the no1 priority to fix

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  11. khos

khos

I am not seeing this anymore, weird, maybe something is fixed?

12. nasos_333

nasos_333

I get it instantly when open any thread with many images, happens every time too.

E.g. this thread i tested just now

https://forum.unity.com/threads/upg...ender-cartoon-shaders-image-fx-tools.1275767/

Or this one

https://forum.unity.com/threads/new...meshes-work-on-mobile-hdrp-urp.351694/page-34

Or this

https://forum.unity.com/threads/big...er-next-generation-ocean-system.767168/page-2

I think is just a bandwidth based limiter with a timer, seems clear now after few tries with image heavy threads.

13. nasos_333

nasos_333

Has been 5 months now and the issue is still there and increasing in frequency making the forums unusable.

Imo is now best idea to change partners, than try to fix a broken backend, which apparently is not possible.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon :(

Hi,

Is there any update on this ?

We try to offer support for assets in the forum and is nearly impossible now, this error happens constantly and at an increasing rate.

It is very critical to be fixed the soonest, as the forums are not usuable.

It happens every single time in every browser and platform, when load a heavy in images thread.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  14. Rowlan

Rowlan

I did some more testing since I had it as well. It's not that much of an issue since it affects only individual users, not the whole user base.

In short, an example link:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/what-is-on-secret-sale-2nd-new-thread.1191568/page-20

Once you visit that one, something happens and your IP gets banned (or whatever weird dark magic happens in the background). You get Access Denied for like 10 minutes, after that you can access the forum again.

The Access Denied seems to be IP based, I tried with different browsers (firefox, chrome, edge) on my PC. All on the same PC had the same Access Denied issue, even ones where I wasn't logged in. So it's not a cookie or browser thing. When I tried on my Phone which was going over the same WIFI the same issue occurred. When I disabled WIFI on the Phone and used paid data tariff the forum worked as usual.

mgear likes this.
  15. mgear

mgear

interesting, tested and it happens..

i'm guessing it could be related to all those images on that thread,
    so browser makes hundreds of requests into unity server?

i've noticed it sometimes happens to me, if i open tens of new tabs, for checking message alerts..
    that would match to some kind of request spam issue.

*tested: Disable image loading from browser, no ban if visit that link.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    Rowlan likes this.
  16. Rowlan

Rowlan

I can confirm that, same for me. Those images are very small and have low bandwidth. But maybe it's indeed the sum of async requests of them. Definitely reproducible and solvable by a Unity forum dev.

nasos_333 likes this.
  17. orionsyndrome

orionsyndrome

Honestly, this sounds like the forum devs have implemented a poor solution to react to a naively detected DDoS. Basically, if the database throttles down (or pings too many 3rd party servers) they introduce a deliberate time-out bottleneck, similar to how TCP-IP was designed to reroute traffic and prevent complete system halt. Now I'm not saying that Unity's hardware is at fault (seriously this is all scalable and they're probably just renting it out flat), but this might be a compounding issue, where something else entirely in the forum code ecosystem produces a domino effect and the stresses precipitate to the point of having an overall effect, but without a reasonable cause. Given how horrible these web technologies really are, perhaps there is no one really who knows what's wrong or how to fix it.

Antypodish likes this.
  18. Rowlan

Rowlan

@UnityMaru maybe from the info above it's just some setting that creates a false positive of a DoS attack and that threshold just needs to be set a tad higher.

19. mgear

mgear

i've also reported it that day, got reply that its forwarded to people handling the forum or something..

20. nasos_333

nasos_333

The forum is completely useless at this point, every time i open a thread may lock out for many minutes, looks like a practical joke at this point.

What is the purpose of having a forum if is not working at all ?

This was never an issue before, so i assume a few months back something changed that made this mess.

Please fix this as it is impossible to do anything with the forum anymore.

21. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi, is there any update on this ?

It has only got worse and make the forum unusable, thanks

22. mgear

mgear

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    orionsyndrome, nasos_333 and Rowlan like this.
  23. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the long wait. We had escalated the reports in this thread that continued to come in after the initial fix was deployed but the team was unable to isolate the issue based on the available information at the time. We should have closed the loop with you and provided an update together with follow-up questions so I'd like to apologize for missing out on that, too.

Based on the reproduction steps provided by @Rowlan, I have asked to restart the investigation process again. Thank you very much for bringing these findings to the thread.

We will update you once we have more information to share. Thank you for bearing with us.

UnityJuju and Rowlan like this.
  24. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,

We've deployed some changes to help with these issues. If you continue to experience the same types of errors, please let us know.

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

Happened to me right now, again... I didn't take note of the message.

26. mgear

mgear

27. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks for flagging. I've passed the info on.

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

Things didn't improve during my absence, logging in on my Linux system with Firefox up-to-date is still a nightmare. Getting constant access denied. Again.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2023
  29. Deleted User

Deleted User

This morning again, on both my computer and my phone. Clicking on "Login" returns access denied, clicking on "Create a new ID" doesn't.

30. osmangormus

osmangormus

Unity Technologies

Hi @APSchmidt
    Sorry to read that your Forums experience is not the best. I will try to help improve that. Please feel free to DM your answers, or submit them via the official support channel.

Could you describe the access denied error you experience? Is that an unbranded simple black text on white plain page with a reference code? Or, a themed XenForo error page?
    Could you share a screenshot of that error page, including the browser's address bar with the URL?

Do you use any VPN services to access the Forums?
    Do you run any RSS readers for the forum topics? Or run any bots/scrapers from the same computer, or network?

Do you get the access denied error at id.unity.com, or at forum.unity.com?

Looking forward for your reply...

p.s. Do you still get those access denied errors if you were to login at id.unity.com first, and navigate back to the forums manually?

Deleted User likes this.
  31. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you for paying attention. :)

I don't have a screenshot today because I didn't have the problem (crossing my fingers). The error message I get is exactly like the one in the post #55.

No, I don't.

No, I don't.

Definitely at id.unity.com. It systematically happens when I click on the "Login" button (see image).

Looking forward for your reply...

p.s. Do you still get those access denied errors if you were to login at id.unity.com first, and navigate back to the forums manually?[/QUOTE]
    I guess I'll have to try that.

What I can add it that the other day, after getting an "access denied" I went to a tutorial page I'm currently following and logged in there. I think it was this one: https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/se...00200e9de0&projectId=5caccdfbedbc2a3cef0efe63. Then I got back to the forums page and got the same "access denied".

Capture d’écran_2023-09-06_07-17-54.jpg

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

Sorry, it happens at forum.unity.com/login/.

Happened today again. I was denied access to the forums (forum.uity.com/) even after logging in on a project page.

Screenshot:

Capture d’écran_2023-09-07_07-18-27.jpg

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Access denied today again.

1. I was already logged in on my phone,
    2. Logically, being already logged in I shouldn't have had to log in again on my pc, but...
    3. Access denied happened on clicking on the "Login" button, as usual,
    4. If I get "Access denied" on my pc, it automatically applies to my phone.
    Capture d’écran_2023-09-10_08-28-19.jpg

35. Deleted User

Deleted User