Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official 2D Animation Preview Packages

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by rustum, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

No I understand that I need to have each part on a layer. But why is it PSD support instead of PNGS? It makes sprite swapping even through code pretty much impossible right now...

Anyway for now we will continue using spine by esoteric, but I am hoping that this becomes more widely usable sooner so that we can switch to it, I hate using external runtimes when I dont have to.

EDIT: also when I tried to import the PSB using PSD importer, it flattened the image and gave me no way to unflatten it.

What is the general process to getting a layered PSD in with parts correctly? I followed the guide but it just imports as a flat image with no way to determine what part is what

EvOne likes this.
  2. LilGames

LilGames

Yes, it flattens to a sprite atlas, since that's how game engines prefer 2D assets. You can still "access" the individual sprites, as with any sprite atlas, view the atlas or view it in "pose mode" as you should have had it in your PSD layers.

Select the character gameObject (that the PSD importer creates) then in the inspector click Sprite Editor. your first view is "flattened" parts (the atlas), but select "Skinning Editor" from the upper left drop-down and you should see your character's layer parts in the exact same position as you had it in the PSD.

The big question you are rightfully asking though is HOW to swap individual sprites. That's something many are asking for in other forum discussions about the new 2D Animation package

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  3. Th0re

Th0re

Hi,

I have quite some experience with 2D skeletal animation, including the old-school way of just parenting with pivots. I also used Anima 2D and Puppet 2D.

My Workflow & Setup
    Import from PSB is excellent. In the sprite sheet, I put all the sprites into a group called “Skin” and import them with the group option on. Then, I name the root bone “Skeleton” (the spine). Both of that goes under the actual agent Holder game object (which carries animator, colliders, most scripts). I also create a “Control” under the Holder, add the IK manager to the skeleton, and create limb solvers. I put them under this new “Control” object, delete each their childs and set each to be their respective targets.

In result, the Holder has now three children: the Skeleton holds the bones and functionality, Skin holds the appearance and Control harbours the IKs, and is for animation, which I think is also the paradigm used.

Problems & Inconsistencies
    I found it better to separate some parts of the characters that are better animated separately (like the face, where sprite swap animations make sense). Or parts that are “attached” and don’t need to be part of the core skeleton rig. I have these sprites on a separate sheet.

1. Problem: Unfortunately, such “skin” objects need to be dropped into the skeleton hierarchy again, ruining the neat separation set up before.
    2. Problem: to rotate the head and to animate the body, I need to animate the skeleton bones directly, which also blurs the separation between skeleton and animation controls.

Suggestions

Both of these problems may have a similar solution, and perhaps this exists already (please, let me know!)
    1. Solution: a component that allows a game object to be 'hooked up' to a bone and treated AS IF it was its child. That way, additional sprites or bind/mount objects can be kept separate from the often intricate skeleton hierarchy.
    2. Solution: Puppet 2D has a "parent control" that imposes its position and rotation onto a target bone (intended for root bone), turning a game object into a control target similar to IK objects. So that you can animate this target object and the bone follows directly. Similar to that, an "orient control" that imposes only its rotation to the target bone, turning it into a knob to control a bone's rotation only. That way, targets can be animated consistently without dealing with the skeleton hierarchy.

Edit: this can be done at least for a rotating part with the CCD Solver2d. You can set it to chain length 1 and toggle the Constrain Rotation.
    Root Rotation Problem
    The root bone, effectively the spine that starts from the hip and goes to the neck starts with a 90° rotation. Since this rotation is at the root, this caused some headaches with the stuff that effectively has to follow the bones (like the additional sprites). I solved this, but I would prefer if it was possible to zero out the root bone rotation, and not start the whole rig 90° rotated.

Other than that, great system, so far easy to use, and the best I've tested so far, because of the good import and clean setup (as well as copy pasting) of the bones. /Sorry for the Wall of Text ;)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    MadeFromPolygons and EvOne like this.
  4. SamfinacoLimited

SamfinacoLimited

Hi,

I face the problem with memory leak on iOS when there is active gameObject with SpriteSkin in my scene.
    Using latest version of 2D Animation 2.0.0-preview.3, tried Unity 2018.3.8, 2018.4.0.

Is there any workaround for this issue?

5. YD_JMysior

YD_JMysior

Hello everyone,
    this package looks very promising/exciting. Two questions:
    1. What is its current state? Is it production ready? In other words, would it be reasonable to make animations for a game that is supposed to be released to Nintendo Switch, PS4 and Xbox One in about 5-6 months?
    2. Will new versions of the package be backwards compatible? If not, should we expect redoing all the animation assets from scratch with every new release?
    Thanks in advance

EvOne likes this.
  6. Rafarix

Rafarix

I haven't been using it too much but as far as I know it seems to be working well enough. I do not know about making games for the consoles, but here is my current experience with this: Animations are pretty easy to make as it fills in the in between frames itself. You just need to add in the key frames and sometimes make a few adjustments in between, but other then that it does most of the work for you. You DO NOT have to redo animations whenever you update to a newer version.

The only real inconvenience I found is I don't think you can't "reuse" animations for other characters. Such as if you have a walk animation for the player you'll have to remake it for enemies even if they have nearly the same proportions. I do not know if this was updated. Also when you make changes to a character you made animations for depending on how big of a change you might have to redo all the animations.

There was also a bug where it messed up the tile pallet I posted sometime ago but they fixed that issue - Thanks for that fix btw!

7. Th0re

Th0re

I could re-use animations, but I specifically designed the rig to be used for other characters. It all depends how you do it, exactly, but when the skeleton is the same, and you animate IKs, it should work. I have yet to test more, and it’s unnecessary complicated to switch skins and make adjustments, but it can work in principle.

8. MathiasNC

MathiasNC

Is it no longer possible to use without Photoshop to create psb/psd files?
    When I try to rig a sliced PNG file I'm unable to connect bones on different sprites to eachother using the parenting tool. If I use a non-sliced sprite sheet, I can add bones, but not layer each component of the body correctly

using animation preview package 2.1 in unity 2019.1

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    mangapinches likes this.
  9. Th0re

Th0re

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    LilGames likes this.
  10. Rafarix

Rafarix

One thing I do which probably not a good idea in the long run, but works is I use GIMP. I would export the file as a .psd, then go to the file and rename the extension to .psb as GIMP cannot export to .psb. There probably is a better way to do this, but it works for me since I don't have photoshop

mangapinches likes this.
  11. felipebarros2010

felipebarros2010

Hey, Im having the same issue here. Did you figure out how fix it?

Thks

12. Rafarix

Rafarix

From my small experience with this based on the screen shot provided try having "Create Bone" or "Edit Joints" selected to remove bones. If you have it on "Preview Pose" or "Reparent Bone" you cannot delete any bones on your sprite.
    UnityEditor.PNG

13. mangapinches

mangapinches

I have been creating my art in ClipStudio, a manga and animation program. It can only export PSD and PSB as a single layer...so it fails when trying to slice the separate layers in the Sprite Editor. I have tried with separate pngs but then the peices are all separate in the Skinning Editor. Maybe the best solution will be to ask ClipStudio for a multiple-layer export option...

I just downloaded GIMP and going to give it a try. Hopefully there will be a way to use pngs...I can't really afford Photoshop right now.

Any solutions are appreciated. Thanks!

14. mangapinches

mangapinches

UPDATE: So I was able to manually create the layers from the different images in GIMP, then export as PSD. Manually changed extension to PSB. When importing to Unity version 2019.1.8f1, the imported file was able to rig and bones worked fine. However, I got a message that says "File's Layer ID is not unique. Please report to devleoper. 0 <InsertLayerName::InsertOtherLayerName> UnityEngine.GUIUtility : ProcessEvent(Int32,IntPtr)

Also getting:
    Sprite "SourceFilePSB_0" contains bone weights which sum zero or are not normalized. To avoid visual artifacts please consider fixing them."

15. Th0re

Th0re

I saved out the .psb asset to .psd to use it in Procreate to touch it up a little. Then exported the whole thing back as .psb with the same arrangement and layer names. That destroyed the rig for good. :confused:

I conclude that a psb file cannot be replaced, even when the new file is identical in content and naming.

Some game objects showed "Missing (Sprite") in Sprite Renderer. Oddly enough, the sprites actually exist in the project folder, just as before (naming and all). When dragging them back into the Sprite Renderer component, they show up in the scene, but are misaligned, and don't animate with the bones.

It was not possible to undo these changes, restart to have changes undone, or simply put back the original file (I did back that up). As far as I can tell, it obliterates the rig entirely.

After investigating, the element within the psb asset in the project folder of a broken part shows the message below in the inspector. It appears related to the ESC or SubScene workflows. I have no idea what it means, and there is also no such "GameObjectEntity" component on this element or anywhere else to find. Here is what it says.

If anyone has an idea how to fix it, please let me know.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  16. Markstam291

Markstam291

Hello all!
    I want compine Skeletal 2D Animation with collider - rigidbody, so how to auto generate collider rig - collider on each bone?
    have any video tutorial?
    please help me, thanks!

17. Cientista73

Cientista73

Hello,

Does anyone have a workaround for swapping sprites or a estimate when this feature would be supported ? Would It be possible for example to layer multiple sprites for the head so I could enable/disable them ? My game really depends on this feature.

Thank you

18. Th0re

Th0re

Here‘s a script by Kamyker, maybe that does the trick. “Simple Scriptable Object that allows overwriting bone, mesh, weights data across sprites.”

Another way: You can set up a skeleton, and copy that over to a new sprite sheet, hook it up there. It’s reasonably fast, unless you need a lot of fine tuned deformation or extraneous parts that differ between characters.

If you have a simple rig, you can also do it the old school way. Create a skeleton with no skin (e.g. disable the sprite renderers). Then prepare your sprite “skin“ by setting the pivots on each sprite part. Next, drop the respective part directly under each bone. If that puppet works, you can swap out the sprites in their sprite renderer component of each game object, change all parts, or just some. But it‘s not automatic. You can make it more fancy by storing the collection of sprites in a scriptable object, and write an editor script that loads these and applies them. It used to be possible to copy the meta file of the sprite sheet, and given an identical sprite sheet setup, carry over the pivots — maybe that still works, which simplifies some work.

Another way to help with the pivots is to drop each sprite part first into an empty game object, zero local transform, and then arrange this object under the bone. It‘s then possible to drop another sprite into this “container” and it should sit correctly (provided that the sprites are not too different in their proportions).

Cientista73 and EvOne like this.
  19. EvOne

EvOne

It seems that in Unity 2019 this script is no longer working. I could not find a using directive that would remove these errors :(

2019-07-14_09-55-23.png

20. tpun

tpun

I've downloaded the samples, did what you suggested and it doesn't work in 2.0. If anyone has any suggestions please advise.

21. tweedie

tweedie

If you want FFD, unfortunately you can't just parent the sprite to the bone, and you cant just swap the sprite out on the renderer, because then it'll complain about no binding / mesh info (which is why I've repeatedly asked if it would be possible to separate that data out from the sprite itself, it seems incredibly limiting this way).

If you need anything beyond simple bone rotation, you can either:

- Write the MeshData from a base sprite in the PSB to a new sprite, but that'll require either using some third party code like the github page linked above, or digging through the framework yourself.
    - Swap the skeleton's materials out for a custom shader which doesn't use _MainTex as the "drawn" sprite. However, for any sprites that are packed to an atlas, this will require you undo the base sprite's RectOffset / UV mapping and reapply the UVs necessary for the new sprite, which in turn means your replacement sprites should have the same aspect ratio as the base sprites and have the same relative scale to their canvas (meaning you could have a lot of wasted transparency, and your meshes need to be large enough to accommodate any sprite you give it, so your overdraw could increase too).

We opted for the second route because I'm expecting the API to shift under our feet for the foreseeable future and didn't want to write tooling that's gonna break a couple of months from now. Overdraw on characters also isn't a big concern for us. This method isn't especially efficient but, I think, is the most flexible and easy enough to change down the line (no custom data on sprites, doesn't require the replacement sprites to be in a rig etc).

Cientista73 and EvOne like this.
  22. K0ST4S

K0ST4S

Bug: character bone handles disappear after first Play.

Questions:
    Can I make a prefab out of rigged .psb file? If I do, I get "Sprite has no Bind Poses" error later.
    How to edit default pose?

Version:
    2D IK: preview.1 - 1.0.1
    2D Animation: preview1 - 2.2.0

23. Rafarix

Rafarix

It can, but it's a bit tricky.

From what I have experienced if you touched up on a sprite you want to update such as something minor like a color change to safely replace it DO NOT drag and drop the .psb file into unity.

Instead try this:
    1) Save and close unity
    2) Find and open the folder to where the sprite you are updating is
    3) Copy and paste the new sprite into the folder and choose yes to replace
    4) Reopen unity and check the sprite it should still be there fine.

I should note that this works best if there is no new object that is not attached to any of the old sprite; such as a sword that is detached and the character never had before. As the new object may not appear if your sprite is already made in the scene, and is at least to me more finicky to add in.

EvOne and Th0re like this.
  24. edrache

edrache

Hi, I have problem with IK and LimbSolver. I've made a skeleton and when I used LimbSolver one bone rotates in 3d. I removed this bone and created another one in the same place (almost) and now it worked.

I've prepared Project with this issue and here is youtube video with my problem:

You can download a simple project with a test scene here:
    https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZMWpv7ZegPNnws7Un7GCFdjXxBLo5KbXTPy

Or download attachment.
    What is wrong with bone 'Body'? Is it me or is it a bug? :)

Attached Files:

25. Th0re

Th0re

Somewhere above, I looked for a solution to hook up additional game objects (sprites) to bones, without having to drop them into the bone hierarchy as children — similar to how it’s done automatically with the “skin” sprites. I found out about the constraint component, which may be useful for others as well. https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Constraints.html

mountblanc and EvOne like this.
  26. pyst1996

pyst1996

I have many photos and I want to create animation based on existing photos, how should I do it, help me!
    upload_2019-7-31_20-11-13.png

27. komoka

komoka

Is it/will it be possible to use this in screen space?

28. Rafarix

Rafarix

It's kind of hard to explain but this video that was posted here earlier gives you a good rundown on how to use the 2d animation package.

I assume your image is a horse rider just sitting idle. What I would suggest is any limbs you want to move they need to be on a separate layer for example the horses tail as it moves from one side to another should be alone on its own layer so you can attach a bone to it and move it without influencing any other parts it shouldn't.

Also in the video I do find .psb files the best way to utilize 2d animation, and if you do not have photoshop what you can do is use a free image editor such as GIMP or Krita save/export to a .psd file and change the extension manually to .psb

29. CoCoNutti

CoCoNutti

Yes, I use Illustrator for all my art.

So in illustrator, export to Photoshop file (PSD).
    Then in Finder, rename that exported file to have the PSB extension.
    Import it into Unity, with User layer grouping ticked
    Hey presto! ;)

Some Illustrator tips I discovered using the above technique:
    In Illustrator, it doesn't like (for me anyway) to have each piece on an individual layer. Rather, I had all pieces of the character on ONE layer and each item was named eg Leg_Left, Leg_Right, etc. Also, it seems to hate nested groups.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  30. CoCoNutti

CoCoNutti

I had this same issue tonight - lost the entire rig >< >< >< The above process, whilst might work, isn't a great solution though. I mean, you should be able to update sprites without losing all of your work. I think this is a bug??

EvOne likes this.
  31. Wecica

Wecica

I can't preview animations while editing the animation transition in the controller.
    By the way, how could I swap cloth using this skeleton 2d animation?

EvOne likes this.
  32. EvOne

EvOne

There is a way to change skins, but not by replacing graphics alone :(
    The official version is described in the documentation and (for me) is too time-consuming, which I wrote about in the next forum thread. Here is my post:
    And here is the answer of the Developer :)

But, this way of replacing graphics is... -It seems to me that this is the Wrong Way :oops:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  33. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

The current PSDImporter implementation uses the ID that is embeded in the file to identify each layer. With this, the Layer can be renamed and the importer will still able to link back to previous imported data.

By exporting the art asset from another authoring tool, it is not gurantee that the ID will be the same (eg at this point GIMP does not update the Layer ID when exporting to PSD).

Thanks for all the feedback, we will try to look into this and see what we can do for supporting the file format created from other authoring tools.

EvOne likes this.
  34. sed

sed

Did you find a solution to it?

35. animatorkpal

animatorkpal

I am experiencing issues others have mentioned earlier in this thread. I want to make adjustments to my art files but every time I do so it breaks the character's rig (and thus animation) as well as the prefab. I saw that "a fix is being worked on" being mentioned earlier, is there a timeframe for when this will get rolled out? I kind of need to know if I need to redo all bones, skinning and animations for every character who's art ever needs minor tweaking. I'm regretting using this instead of doing the extra work to build my chars in Maya. It seemed so easy... If it's not going to be for months I will probably have to go the traditional Maya route.

36. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Which version are you using and what is your workflow?
    And you mention it breaks, how is it breaking? Can you send us a 'before' and 'after' file which we can reproduce the breakage?

37. animatorkpal

animatorkpal

I am using Unity Version 2018.3.4f1 and the 2.0 preview.3 2D animation package, I had been on 2.0 preview.1 when this bug initially occurred.

I'll preface that this morning the file seems to be cooperating better, of course, I'm sure it's because I complained on the internet, but I'm still seeing some issues.

For my workflow I created these characters in .psb files then rigged them using the sprite editor. From there I made the character into a prefab to be used in multiple scenes and I then animated them using unity animation tools. I want to go back and polish some of the art files since I am doing prototyping and now we are at a state where I need to polish the art. Yesterday when I went into the .psb file and make edits to the layers (like erasing some pixels around the edge of the layer for example) one of two things would happen, either part of the character would become "unskinned" or bones would disappear from the character prefab and in both instances the animations all break.

I updated to the newest animation package yesterday at some point during my troubleshooting and did not see a difference. I was constantly restarting as I was testing/breaking/reverting files so I'm pretty sure I restarted after installing it. Maybe a switch between projects fixed it, it definitely did some compiling when I opened it this morning.

Today when trying to test things out to write this I don't think I'm seeing issues with directly changing the layers (ie. erasing the edges) causing the rig to break, but I am seeing issues where it seems to be re-averaging the location of the image so if I erase a lot of the layer the pieces don't "line up" anymore in unity. This less frustrating but still not great, I would expect location of the artwork to be "fixed" especially once I have meshed/rigged it.

However, if I try to do any serious photoshopping on these files, say, adding a gradient in a separate layer and merging it down to give the character a fake shadow it definitely breaks the rig and bones disappear. I assume this is because it's looking at some sort of hidden layer ID information and not the layer name, but as an artist I really would want to be able be able to mess with the layers and still have it work. I tried making a copy of the file, made edits there, and then dragged the "same layer" into the file which still broke the rig. Now I just tested deleting the artwork from the layer, and pasting the polished artwork directly into the now empty layer and that seems to work. So that's an annoying workaround, but at least it doesn't seem to break the rig.

I would need to get permission from my manager/company to be able to share the files with you. I'd prefer not to go through that if possible. Especially now that I seem to have a workaround for most of my issues.

EvOne likes this.
  38. EvOne

EvOne

Above, the developer answered a question similar to yours - yes it’s layers ID, the names of the layers do not matter.

And although the logic of the developers can be understood and accepted - the lack of a simple way to replace all the graphics with a fixed or new one (subject to certain rules for this - after agreeing to this replacement, with matching layer names etc) - this makes it very difficult to perform real tasks.

39. Siegfried

Siegfried

I cannot wait for proper bug free production ready version. good job guys!

40. EvOne

EvOne

But it works! What are the bugs?
    -Yes, there are unrealized and not very successfully (so far) implemented opportunities.
    But - in general, this is a very convenient, powerful and most importantly - the "native" package of 2D animation from Unity developers themselves!
    If you are talking about performance problems - the only thing that I now recalled from the unresolved "bugs"
    -is that they are working on it, no one has abandoned the development.

Is it really so "burning" that you can’t wait for a couple of updates?.. :confused::)

41. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Giving a quick update on the performance fix.
    Sorry for not able to publish the fix this week due to some unforeseen issues. The package is ready and we will get it onto our servers as soon as we can.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Th0re, EvOne and Zepa like this.
  42. Gray_Streak

Gray_Streak

Any plans for squash and stretch or Free From Deformations (like puppet2d or spine) in 2d animations or do I need to roll my own?

I really want to use this in my next project but S&S is too important not to include (for my usage).

EvOne likes this.
  43. stereographik

stereographik

Hi, the preview package is nice, I hope the public will push SVG support and animation to spritesheet convertion.

EvOne likes this.
  44. EvOne

EvOne

SVG support... -It's a Dream!..:rolleyes:

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  45. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

It is on our roadmap as one of the things we want to support!

Gray_Streak likes this.
  46. LeleUnity

LeleUnity

I have two important feedbacks to give, I would like to see them implemented in your beautiful package:

1) YOU SHOULD definetly copy the feature of Creature:
    Easy creation of secondary motion, like wind, clothes, bounces:

It would be nice to have something like their MOTORS which are reusable component that can be tweaked, for example,
    "Up and Down Motor" with that you can create immidiatly an up and down movement and twek the frequency and many things. or "Bend Phisics motor" which give realistic animation to ropes, tails, etc... See the video for more information.

2) It would be nice to have an ALREADY MADE SET of common animation for humanoids, like Run,Jump,Sword attack, Dance and so on.... several software have them and is an incredible plus to speed up production...

P.S. Creature has very nice feature but works very bad with Unity, not very integrated, you need to code all UV maps and things by yourself, no Atlas split, etc...

EvOne likes this.
  47. EvOne

EvOne

OMG... What are the “motors”? - here the FFD is not even there yet (we are Waiting! :rolleyes:),
    no banal Pose Manager... :eek:
    Motors... o_O
    Yes, I would be glad, but... -Everything is going according to the Plan!.. :cool::D

48. pastaluego

pastaluego

Is the 2D Animation package's Skinning Editor Geometry wizard the first time Unity has been able to let you manually modify the mesh of a sprite through a UI instead of only code? Or is it somewhere in the old sprite editor somewhere? Because even though it's packaged up with 2D Animation, I've found it incredibly useful for unrelated stuff like to be able to easily modify the verts of a sprite for vertex shader shenanigans. Am I just oblivious to a window in Unity that has always let you do this?

49. Arnklit

Arnklit

Just gonna voice my concern about the requirement for using the PSD importer workflow. I use Krita and had to use the workaround of saving as PSD and renaming to PSB and that works, though I also get "File's Layer ID is not unique" errors. I'd much rather we had the option of using a flat file and arranging it ourselves. That way you would feel safe editing the graphics as much as you want without destroying rigging, animation etc.

I think it's worrisome to assume everyone is working in Photoshop, but also that people can use PSB as their asset format, some projects will have custom tools that need to process their images before they end up in Unity.

EvOne likes this.
  50. Agentneil

Agentneil

Am I using this wrong?
    I have been using this animation package since maybe April this year, and it is the most expensive thing in my game. At max I have 6 2D sprites (fairly complex ones) running at once, and the SpriteSkin.LateUpdate takes up most of the profiler.
    Is there a way to just record the animations and play the clips? I feel like that is what is should be doing, but it seems like it is deforming the sprites at runtime.

Using: 2D Animation 2.0.0 and Unity 2018.4.0f1

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    EvOne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.