Search Unity

2018.3.0b12 - Collaborate stuck again on resolving packages

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Immu, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Immu

Immu

Hi. As usual, I've updated to new Unity beta. Then send my project updates to collaborate
    Got back home. Tried to launch the project with beta12 on my laptop.
    Started the usual conversion with local files by opening the project with beta 12 (before getting the update via collaborate) and with this beta version...Its stuck on resolving packages...
    Checked all the firewall, tried with deactivating all of them. Not better.

Tried to directly take the whole project from a clean state. Not better. It gets back all the data until it tries to resolve packages. Or give a nice 'AN ERROR AS OCCURED' message on the collaborate window after starting to retrieve data.

All of that didn't happen since - i think beta 3 or 4 for 2018.3, something like that). And now It's back.
    Any help?

You wanted a feedback about why 2018.3 felt not ready to get out of beta for me? Here's a pure example x3

2. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

That's not specific to the beta 3 or 4, I've talked about it two weeks ago and was on b9 or something. This bug doesn't come from the beta: I know because it solved itself few days later, and then came back next week each time on different computers. That's an issue with unity's servers.

I saw your other post about this yesterday and almost told you to update collab to it's new version. I did and now unity crashes. It crashed after a check for changes and twice during an update attempt. I wasn't even using the computer, it was doing that one thing.

I've complained about issues like this for months now and my opinion is that collaborate is an abandoned service. I don't know what's going on, all I can say is that this year, the only new things about collaborate have been bugs. Even easy features to add like asking the user to confirm before forcing a check for changes in the middle of an important meeting are not even considered leading me to think Unity doesn't have any control over that service. I seriously don't see any other explanation.

I asked around and everybody told me they have trouble with collaborate. The only one who don't are the one who are already on Git and who tell me Collaborate isn't suited for professional use. Something I couldn't agree more since my experience is a service lacking simple but important professional features and and also lacking any type of support.

About the beta not being ready, from the start I had a collaborate issue with it taking 10 min of "compiling" every time we update. It was two month ago and nothing has been done despite me recontacting unity about this and them telling me somebody is "on it". 2018.3 is about to ship and I might lose business because I'm stuck with a product that prevent me to work

My advice is to follow everybody else and go on Git. I haven't yet because I'm busy and my project is very big but I'm doing so as soon as I can. The learning curve might be steeper but it won't put you out of a job like collaborate.

Immu likes this.
  3. StaceyH

StaceyH

Administrator

Hi @Immu - The issue that you are seeing is actually related to Package Manager, not Collaborate. We’ve reached out to the team to give them a heads up and are going to move this post under their forum so that they can work directly with you. Just so you are prepared - it sounds like they will need the editor.log and upm.log in order to investigate.

Regarding Collaborate overall - I can assure you that it’s not an abandoned service. As we mentioned in this post, we’ve been focused on fundamental changes, most notably moving the snapshot over to git and migrating from AWS to GCP, which will ultimately improve stability and address bugs.

We know that the “Checking for Changes” dialog that Collaborate has is a hindrance to productivity, especially for larger projects. The check is important pre 2018.3, as it’s needed to ensure that the client is accurately tracking project changes. Providing a cancel button is highly risky, as it introduces a lot of downstream impacts that can cause significant stability issues if not handled properly.

One of the major benefits to moving the state tracking to git is that we can remove the check altogether. We have a fix that is currently being tested and is planned for 2019.1 and will be backported into 2018.3. Given the risk associated with adding a cancel button and the necessity of the check, we do not currently have any fixes planned for 2018.2 or below.

Immu likes this.
  4. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

5. Immu

Immu

Hi. Here there are:

Editor.log :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Initiating legacy licensing module
    2. LICENSE SYSTEM [20181130 20:9:39] Next license update check is after 2018-12-01T19:05:44
    4. LookupAccountName() failed. Error 1332
    6. LICENSE SYSTEM [20181130 20:9:39] Couldn't set permissions of the license file (Win32_AddFileAccessRights).
    8. Built from '2018.3/staging' branch; Version is '2018.3.0b12 (77f6238a7ced) revision 7861795'; Using compiler version '191326128'
    9. OS: 'Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit' Language: 'fr' Physical Memory: 16342 MB
    10. BatchMode: 0, IsHumanControllingUs: 1, StartBugReporterOnCrash: 1, Is64bit: 1, IsPro: 1
    11. [Package Manager] Server::Start -- Port 50595 was selected
    12. Setting up noproxy from UNITY_NOPROXY environment variable. Setting to: localhost,127.0.0.1
    13. ListPackages failed, output: {
    14.  "name": "unity-editor",
    15.  "version": "5.7.0",
    16.  "problems": [
    17.    "extraneous: unityeditor-collab-history@0.6.15-fix-history-revisions.1 C:\\Users\\alexi\\AppData\\Roaming\\Unity\\Packages\\node_modules\\unityeditor-collab-history"
    18.  ],
    19.  "dependencies": {
    20.    "unityeditor-collab-history": {
    21.      "version": "0.6.15-fix-history-revisions.1",
    22.      "extraneous": true,
    23.      "problems": [
    24.        "extraneous: unityeditor-collab-history@0.6.15-fix-history-revisions.1 C:\\Users\\alexi\\AppData\\Roaming\\Unity\\Packages\\node_modules\\unityeditor-collab-history"
    25.      ],
    26.      "from": "unityeditor-collab-history-0.6.15-fix-history-revisions.1.tgz",
    27.      "resolved": "file:unityeditor-collab-history-0.6.15-fix-history-revisions.1.tgz"
    28.    },
    29.    "unity-editor-home": {
    30.      "version": "2.2.1",
    31.      "from": "unity-editor-home.2.2.1.tgz",
    32.      "resolved": "file:unity-editor-home.2.2.1.tgz"
    33.    },
    34.    "unityeditor-cloud-hub": {
    35.      "version": "0.0.15",
    36.      "from": "unityeditor-cloud-hub-0.0.15.tgz",
    37.      "resolved": "file:unityeditor-cloud-hub-0.0.15.tgz"
    38.    },
    39.    "unityeditor-collab-toolbar": {
    40.      "version": "0.7.16",
    41.      "from": "unityeditor-collab-toolbar.0.7.16.tgz",
    42.      "resolved": "file:unityeditor-collab-toolbar.0.7.16.tgz"
    43.    }
    44.  }
    45. }
    48. COMMAND LINE ARGUMENTS:
    49. C:\Program Files\Unity\2018.3.0b12\Editor\Unity.exe
    50. Setting up noproxy from UNITY_NOPROXY environment variable. Setting to: localhost,127.0.0.1
    51. C:/Users/alexi/Desktop/Work/IFSCL
    52. Using Asset Import Pipeline V1.
    53. Initiating legacy licensing moduleLoading GUID <-> Path mappings...0.000074 seconds
    54. Loading Asset Database...0.068614 seconds
    55. Build target: OSXUniversal found and added!
    56. Build target: WindowsStoreApps found and added!
    57. Build target: Win64 found and added!
    58. Build target: Win found and added!
    59. Build target: LinuxUniversal found and added!
    60. Build target: Linux64 found and added!
    61. Build target: Linux found and added!
    62. Build target: iOS found and added!
    63. Build target: tvOS found and added!
    64. Build target: PS4 found and added!
    65. Build target: XboxOne found and added!
    66. Build target: Android found and added!
    67. Build target: WebGL found and added!
    68. Build target: Switch found and added!
    69. Build target: Lumin found and added!
    70. Build target: PSM found and added!
    71. Build target: PSP2 found and added!
    72. Build target: WiiU found and added!
    73. Build target: Web found and added!
    74. Build target: WebStreamed found and added!
    75. Build target: OSXIntel found and added!
    76. Build target: OSXIntel64 found and added!
    77. Build target: BlackBerry found and added!
    78. Build target: PS3 found and added!
    79. Build target: N3DS found and added!
    80. Build target: WP8 found and added!
    81. Build target: SamsungTV found and added!
    82. Build target: Tizen found and added!
    83. AssetDatabase consistency checks...0.109680 seconds
    84. Refreshing native plugins compatible for Editor in 47.56 ms, found 7 plugins.
    85. Preloading 0 native plugins for Editor in 0.00 ms.
    86. Setting up noproxy from UNITY_NOPROXY environment variable. Setting to: localhost,127.0.0.1
    upm.log:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. {"level":"info","message":"Starting Server","timestamp":"2018-11-30T19:09:40.401Z"}
    2. {"level":"info","message":"Health Request received","timestamp":"2018-11-30T19:09:40.451Z"}

6. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@Immu, the editor.log file seems to be truncated. There is no Package Manager error logged. Can you check that you shared the complete file? The *upm.log* is clean. Looks like the editor can communicate with the Package Manager process.

7. Immu

Immu

Well, indeed, I had to close the program while it was stuck on that particular process (I waited for more than 10 minutes) and, those two lines popped up at the end of the editor.log right after the settingUp no proxy, since I shutted down the program:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [Package Manager] Failed to resolve packages: operation cancelled.
    2. Exiting without the bug reporter. Application will terminate with return code 1
    Edit:
    Well it works now 0_0...
    Done 20 tests in two days, it was always been stucked for 10 minutes - always disabled all firewall. But now it works...
    I really don't get it :/
    Anyway, thanks a lot for your quick help.

8. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Ok! Really strange indeed! If it ever happens again, please post here.

Pascal

9. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Hi @StaceyH .

Check for changes is not new and I've heard your are working on removing it for a full year now. And yet, it's still not ready and months away. As you stated, check for changes is an issue for people working on big project. That's what we do as professionals, big projects with lots of assets we buy on the asset store and then store on collaborate's extra storage you bill us every months. How do you explain your own tool is not dimensioned for these paid services?

The issues are not limited to check for changes. The UI is the worse I've even seen. It's buggy, laggy and untrustworthy. Anybody I've seen using collaborate complains about it the very first day. Even the seats management is a nightmare.

Sending data is erratic. Collaborate will saturate your upload bandwidth, will fail to contact its own server because of it and will cancel your commit. I've had to send my work as unitypackages through wetransfer on many occasions. And i'm very lucky because many users reported data loss.

Two month ago I reported a big bug, every time I update from Collaborate, Unity "compile" something for ten minutes. This is a big handicap when clients working with me easily lose an hour of work everyday because of this. Still, zero support from your part despite contacting Unity many times about this and being told someone is working on it. I still don't know who is that person and am still waiting for them to ask questions about this to solve it.

So, it's not abandoned? Prove it.

10. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Hello @Marc-Saubion,

I apologize for your experience with Collaborate. It should never be frustrating, hard or unreliable. I'll make sure your feedback reaches the Collab team.

At the risk of abusing your goodwill and patience, I always invite our users to work with us when they have poor experiences, as with any complex piece of software, there are variables that once combined produce truly unexpected outcomes and your first-hand experience is truly valuable in order to isolate the issue. If you could kindly provide me with some concrete examples of how the feature misbehaves and I'll make absolutely sure that we examine it attentively.

Cheers,
    Pedro
    Unity STE