Search Unity

XR Management for Oculus Go workflow Unity 2019.3

Discussion in 'VR' started by Rafarel, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Rafarel

Rafarel

Hi there,

I'm not new to VR, I'm not new to Unity, but I'm new to VR with Unity.
    I'm trying to have a very simple application compiling and running to my Oculus Go using Unity 2019.3 and the new way of enabling VR with the XR management plugin.
    I found almost nothing in term of documentation about the new workflow with XR Management and I spent a few hour trying to have a simple application running on an Oculus Go, but any temptative crashed on the device with a message that tells me that my app just stopped working. I never saw the Unity logo in the HMD ...

What I've done so far :
    - My Oculus Go is in developer mode and recognized by
    adb devices
    and Unity build windows.
    - I've installed XR Management Plugin 3.0.5 and Oculus XR Plugin 1.1.4
    - In project settings, I've added Oculus Loader in the Android tab. (see screenshots below)
    - I've installed Input helpers 1.3.8 and added a Tracked Pose Driver to my main camera.
    - I've added a signe cube to my scene to keep things simple.
    - In build settings, I've added my scene switch to Android platform, then Build and Run.
    - The apk is compiled and copied on the Oculus Gom then ....

Black screen on the Oculus Go, the app crashed and the Oculus ask me to quit the app...

I'll try to use the old Workflow, see if I can have something on my Oculus Go ...
    Anyone can help me on this ?

Thanks, have a nice day!

vr-unity-1.png
    vr-unity-2.png

2. Rafarel

Rafarel

I tried with Unity 2018.4.14f1 LTS with the old workflow and it just worked out of the box.
    I'm still interested in knowing why I can't get this work with the new XR Management workflow :)

sluggo2112 and BrainSlugs83 like this.
  3. franadoriv

franadoriv

I have this same error but a bit different. The game lunch normally but is played like a non vr application. This means i can see a floating black screen with oculus home background and is only rendering one eye. I have the same configuration.

4. Rafarel

Rafarel

@franadoriv Thanks for your feedback. You build and test on Oculus Go too ?

5. franadoriv

franadoriv

Its fixed, you need to update all your XR packet and have only oculus plugin installed

6. Rafarel

Rafarel

Thanks for the update @franadoriv I'll give it a try as soon as I can.
    Merry Christmas!

7. BrainSlugs83

BrainSlugs83

I had the same issue as @franadoriv on the Oculus Quest -- using 2019.3, URP, and the new XR workflow.

I realized that I installed the Oculus Loader, but I didn't have it added to the list; my list of loaders was still empty. -- That made it go fullscreen in the left eye. But the right eye was missing...

Also, the head tracking wasn't working (even though I've added the XR tracking component to the camera...).

I tried switching to Vulkan (since they said it was supposed to work with the Quest in Unity 2019.3), and that was a giant crashy mess; The loading screen worked in Stereo, but app was F***ed.

I switched back to OpenGLES3. Deleted my android.manifest from the project... that gave me some better results, now showing in Stereo -- but the tracking seemed to be doing the opposite -- like it would jut back to the previous position when I moved my head (very nauseating).

Somehow my tracked pose driver was removed from the camera, I'm sure it was there before... but it's not now... so... anyway, I added it back...

Now I get smooth head tracking... but my head is in the floor. Awesome. I guess I can use relative transform and parent the camera, but... I'm guessing I'm going to have to make an Oculus API call to get the player height ... ugh.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  8. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

It is very likely that Vulkan support is not actually properly tested in this release. Check your player - rendering settings I think there will be OpenGles 3 and Vulkan there.

Also, Oculus Integration pack from the Asset store has a hard coded bit of code in it that checks of Vulkan is included in the player settings and cancels the building of the project usually to prevent that.

However all of that should be redundant if Vulkan is actually officially working in Unity 2019.3 which it still doesn't seem to be in our tests.

More info here, I am chasing all this as it's affecting me too
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/fol...ous-systems-supposed-to-work-together.817086/

BrainSlugs83 likes this.
  9. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Use this for the player rig to get height off ground and all other things, it's cross platform too.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/12/17/xr-interaction-toolkit-preview-package-is-here/

Rafarel and BrainSlugs83 like this.
  10. BrainSlugs83

BrainSlugs83

I'm not using the Oculus Integration pack at all -- I thought that was kind of the whole point of unifying the XR stuff in 2019.3.

Anyway, I ended up just throwing together a script that sets the TrackingOriginMode (linked here: https://pastebin.com/DC5LGD4S ). -- It's based on what y'all were talking about in another thread I stumbled on to: https://forum.unity.com/threads/oculus-quest-wrong-floor-position.702422/

Thanks for posting that -- I think with the above script, I'm good now -- but I'll take a look at it.

I honestly just want as minimal as possible of a system. I really hate all the broken crap that a lot of things add (the Oculus integration package is one of the worst offenders IMO, so glad to be ditching it!).

ROBYER1 likes this.