Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved XR Interaction Package update inactivity

Discussion in 'XR Interaction Toolkit and Input' started by MaskedMouse, Oct 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

I noticed the forum section now being called XR Interaction Toolkit and Input.
    The last update of the XR Interaction package has been since april 2020.
    I'm just hugely disappointed in this package. Finally a package that is made for XR but packed with bugs that hasn't been solved in months, no updates and lack of communication.
    When can we finally expect some updates regarding this package?

Thus far I have been fixing the issues myself regarding XR UI Interaction.
    Some with a workaround, others with a simple implementation left forgotten.
    Like literally simple fixes that can be done in matter of minutes once you've tracked them down.

- Graphics that have
    RaycastTarget
    toggled off are still being targetted because the
    TrackedDeviceGraphicRaycaster
    does not take the
    RaycastTarget
    into account.
    -
    XRInteractorLineVisual
    has a
    StopLineAtFirstRaycastHit
    but wasn't implemented. So I added it to the UpdateLineVisual method.
    -
    XRUIInputModule
    has no override for
    ToString
    , when reading out the event system it shows nothing because ToString of the Input Module is empty. So I override the ToString and return some information using a string builder.
    - Mouse input ScrollDelta was being set to the opposite of the previous frame rather than
    Input.mouseScrollDelta
    causing the scrollbar to not move.
    - Passing the
    Primary2DAxis
    of the Left & Right hand XR Device to the eventData.ScrollDelta so that you can scroll through a list with the thumb sticks. Because it hasn't been implemented at all for XR Devices.

Probably more, but can't remember out of mind.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  2. Shizola

Shizola

Hey @mfuad can we please get any kind of update please?

daveinpublic likes this.
  3. LeFx_Tom

LeFx_Tom

I second this. There was time and time mentioning of "a release coming soon" which never came...
    So far the whole communication about the XR Toolkit is very disappointing. No clear roadmap, no clear communication about dates, no reliability.
    I don't get the lack of interest from Unity for this either...VRTK is in a complicated state (v3 is deprecated, v4 is....well...not for everyone)
    The XR Interaction toolkit would be an ideal stepping stone to bring more people into XR...but for that, it needs love...and continuous work.
    The foundations are there...but definitely not finished...far from it in parts.

Same goes for the whole XR plugin manager thing...
    To be honest...VRTK3 handled the whole idea of having one project for each VR headset brand way easier with the SDK manager. But that's a different topic...

Shizola likes this.
  4. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

Hey there! We are releasing a new preview version of XRI next week, accompanied by a forum post that shares what's new, known issues, samples, and roadmap, keep an eye out!

Will lock the post in the meantime as this is the answer you're looking for!

5. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

Hey everyone, please see our latest forum post for more information on the new preview of XRI that got published today. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.