Search Unity

Worldwide Hosting? (how)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by N1warhead, Jun 11, 2015.

1. N1warhead

N1warhead

Okay, I've been trying to scour everything I can, how in the world do I set up UNet to work outside of LAN?

It's really really aggravating to see only LAN Stuff.
    I want to people to play with people around the world, not just on my local network.

I don't want to use cloud hosting(because of the amount of players that will be in each game), I just want to be able to host a game, and someone from I don't know 2,000 miles away be able to join and play it.
    I'm not looking for anything else, just simply joining a master server and the rest should be like any other solution for online play.

I just want to know if someone can lead to to something to explains how to do global hosting from a PC/Server.

Or is this not yet/won't be part of UNet?

2. Indiefreaks

Indiefreaks

If you don't want to use cloud hosting or the UNET matchmaking system, you still can do it on your own but it'll ask you some work.

In order for someone to find your server, you need to provide some kind of matchmaking mechanism.
    For that, you can use either the builtin Matchmaking mechanism or for instance a website which your server would register his address and port to. This same website would allow any client to request for servers and it would return their IP Addresses and ports to clients. Once retrieved, you'll simply display the list of servers to players on the client and they'll be able to choose which server they want to connect to.

All the rest is pure UNET NetworkManager HLAPI stuff that you can find either in the documentation or in these forums...

Hope it helps

N1warhead and ChrisSch like this.
  3. N1warhead

N1warhead

Thanks bud, I'll look into this soon :)