Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

With iOS SDK 4.2 for iPad, do I use Unity 1.7 or Unity 3.1?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by aerende, Dec 1, 2010.

1. aerende

aerende

With iOS SDK 3.2, for making apps for iPad I've been using Unity 1.7. With iOS SDK 4.2 can I use Unity 3.1? Or do I keep using Unity 1.7?

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

You can keep using the old one if you want, just keep in mind that iOS 4.0 isn't officially supported by it (it was released before 4.0 release) so there might be trouble.

If you own Unity 3 iOS, and start a new project you might want to go over there unless bugs in it prevent you from doing it for the project

3. aerende

aerende

I own both Unity 1.7 and Unity 3.1. The iPad app I have is in 1.7. I guess you are saying I can load the iPad app into Unity 3.1 and then try to compile an XCode project with iOS SDK 4.2, correct?

4. Moonjump

Moonjump

It should try that. You will probably get some errors. Some people have said they got a lot moving from 1.7 to 3, but for me it was very few, and the solution was generally explained on the Console in Unity. It mostly involved removing the word iPhone from touch commands as they are now also designed to work with Android. So I was up and running within the hour.

Make sure you keep a backup of 1.7, and the project in that state, in case you have more major problems.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

It depends a bit on what you do.
    you will have to resetup textures for sure and guiskins might require work too.
    otherwise it can be rather straight forward if no physics was involved