Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows build outputs pdb files

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Culzean, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Culzean

Culzean

I haven't seen these files before, but since upgrading to Unity 5 it now outputs these files for Windows builds. I understand these are for debugging development builds. However my project is till out putting these files and I have set it to release mode. Is it ok to delete these files? any ideas why my project is out putting these files?

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I'm not sure how you didn't notice them before - I'm pretty sure it always did it.

I wouldn't delete these files. You don't have to upload them to the windows store, but they will be useful if you get any crash dumps from the Windows Store and you wish to investigate.

3. Culzean

Culzean

Thanks, will keep them with backed up alongside the builds. Erm looking at a pc build created with Unity 4 there is no sign of these files separate, that's for stand alone pc release.

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Ah, Windows Standalone. Since you didn't specify that in the original post, I thought you were publishing for Windows Store, as that's what this forum is primarily for.

Either way, I believe we started shipping PDBs with Unity 5 for windows standalones too to ease debugging/profiling with external tools. We always shipped those PDBs for Windows Store applications.

5. rstorm000

rstorm000

Is there a way to stop these from being built? On OSX and Unity 5.2.3 (Development mode and script debugging are both unchecked)

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I don't think so - may I ask why would you want them not to be built?

DanVioletSagmiller likes this.
  7. rstorm000

rstorm000

Making patches and builds for players. Doing differences on zips in folders. Now will have to script removing them so they are not included in the player downloads. This makes the patches and downloads larger for all.

RiverExplorer likes this.
  8. carmine

carmine

Could someone use a .PDB file to find a function or variable inside the .exe such as "IsRegistered" or "ThisWasPaidFor" and they muck around to try to unlock a game or replace/override a function?

9. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

You don't need a pdb file for that, because in Unity users are programming with managed language, so you can decompile managed assembly without having symbols.

In the case above pdb files are provided for Unity engine executable, which doesn't contain user code inside.

10. Fattie

Fattie

"may I ask why would you want them not to be built?" Because they are silly and annoying.

Also, since we pay thousands of dollars a year to Unity for a license, the general plan for Unity is (1) do what we say (2) do what we say

Generally, software that works is better. Unity should adopt this approach. If we turn off silly debugging features, we want them turned off.

Hopefully this silly clutter will be turned off, unless asked for in builds, ASAP

impurekind likes this.
  11. gstier

gstier

That's a terrible answer to some very legitimate questions. The people here are just trying to manage their applications, which includes managing build processes and application size. If you really can't imagine a scenario in which this is a bad thing, then here are a couple for you:

First, there is a 'Development Build' setting. The presence of such a setting implies that debug info will or will not be built based on this setting. By building the debug information all the time, you are essentially ignoring that build setting. So should we log a bug for that? If this is not a bug, then what purpose does it serve?

Second, I (like many others) have an automated build process that builds my application, zips it up, then moves it to the appropriate testing environment. My application is 40mb without these pdb files, and 170mb in size with them! That's over 4 times larger! Over 75% of my zipped application is from debug information that I specifically asked to not have included when I unchecked the 'Development Build' option.

Fattie and rstorm000 like this.
  12. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Guys, pdb files are provided for your convenience, when you zip or make an installer, simply add an option to ignore them and that's it, it's not that hard.

mowax74 likes this.
  13. ratking

ratking

This is a really strange thing. Why is there no option to NOT build these debug files? It may be "for our convenience", but right now they only add to my inconvenience.

Tethys, _monoflow and Cascho01 like this.
  14. Jespertheend2

Jespertheend2

I don't know what's wrong with everyone here, either you are already using a build script for a better workflow and removing the files using a script is easy to make. Or you aren't using a build script in which case you will have to zip the files manually anyway. I really don't see why everyone is so annoyed by a couple of files.

wow rude

15. ratking

ratking

My main problem is the lack of communication from Unity Tech. I already had the case where a developer distributed some zipped demo with these *.pdb files because they either didn't know a) that Unity (suddenly) creates them or b) that they are not needed for distribution. Either way, Unity should have had a clear message somewhere, that builds have now files you might not need, especially not for release.

In any case it's really strange when Unity copies (in my case) unnecessary files onto my harddrive every time even though I don't need them. Is it so hard for Unity to add a checkbox to the GUI?

Tomer-Barkan likes this.
  16. Axel-F

Axel-F

If you really never ever want to debug Windows stand alone builds put this script into your Assets/Editor folder, name it PostProcessBuild.cs and these annoying PDB files will be history:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEditor;
    3. using UnityEditor.Callbacks;
    4. using System.IO;
    6. public class PostProcessBuild
    7. {
    8.     [PostProcessBuildAttribute(1)]
    9.     public static void OnPostprocessBuild(BuildTarget target, string pathToBuiltProject)
    10.     {
    11.         if (target == BuildTarget.StandaloneWindows || target == BuildTarget.StandaloneWindows64)
    12.         {
    13.             // remove these annoying PDB files as we don't want to debug stand alone builds!
    14.             string pureBuildPath = Path.GetDirectoryName(pathToBuiltProject);
    15.             foreach (string file in Directory.GetFiles(pureBuildPath, "*.pdb"))
    16.             {
    17.                 Debug.Log(file + " deleted!");
    18.                 File.Delete(file);
    19.             }
    20.         }
    21.     }
    22. }

DanVioletSagmiller and Tethys like this.
  17. JtheSpaceC

JtheSpaceC

Thanks for the script. It works perfectly!

As for Unity, providing them for convenience is only good if they're actually desired. You must realise that many of your users are amateurs and hobbyists, moreso than with any other game engine. Their needs differ, and that's not even to say that every developer would want those files for every build anyway.

Giving the user the option to include them is clearly a better option.

In just my case, I want to share a 15MB scene with a friend, but those two extra files alone come to over 140MB, making attaching the files to email impossible, and hogging Dropbox space/bandwidth to share. If I didn't know that I could safely delete them (only a minor IN-convenience) then I'd be subjecting myself to major inconvenience when trying to share. Can you really not see a situation where this is undesirable?

cubestate, Tethys and rstorm000 like this.
  18. slumtrimpet

slumtrimpet

Hi Unity... is this guy in PR or customer service? Because he shouldn't be...
    What in the world? Is that some kind of joke reply?

glenrhodes, Tethys and JtheSpaceC like this.
  19. glenrhodes

glenrhodes

I think it comes from the average dev not knowing or realizing that the pdb files are unnecessary for the final distribution. Until reading this thread, I figured that pdb files were a requirement for the final package to run... even though the "db" in "pdb" likely stood for "debug"...

20. sush333

sush333

Just delete those pdb files. they are just for Debugging or something. It wont create problems anywhere.

21. ratking

ratking

Perhaps you should have read the thread, idiot333

22. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Hi,

we'll add an option "Copy PDB files" with default value - false, this will be exposed in Build Settings window, this way you'll be able to control either you want pdb files or not. Hopefully this will make all parties happy.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

23. QFSW

QFSW

Now that this has been added, is there any way to access it via scripting like the other build settings?
    thanks

24. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

The explicit property was not yet added. But you can do this, assuming you're using 5.4.
    Code (csharp):
    2. UnityEditor.EditorUserBuildSettings.SetPlatformSettings("Standalone", "CopyPDBFiles", enabled);

25. QFSW

QFSW

Ah, thank you for that :)
    Do you know if an explicit property will be added?

26. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Yes, it will be added.

Working_Robot likes this.
  27. QFSW

QFSW

28. bigd

bigd

Awesome. Came here looking for this same topic. Good see we'll be given an option in the future. These are currently 150 MB files that are created each time I build.

29. Pawl

Pawl

+1 Came here to say thanks for giving the option to disable the pdbs!

30. Korbinian

Korbinian

FTR, to enable copying of PDBs in a build script, the string to pass as value is "true", so
    Code (CSharp):
    1. EditorUserBuildSettings.SetPlatformSettings("Standalone", "CopyPDBFiles", "true");

31. fenghou

fenghou

It does not work with Unity 2018.4.12f1, so I have to use the code from Axel-F.
    Has the setting interface changed?

(I know unity has a GUI option "Copy PDB Files" , but I have to build the project through command line.)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  32. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Try this:

Code (csharp):
    1. #if UNITY_STANDALONE_WIN
    2. UnityEditor.WindowsStandalone.UserBuildSettings.copyPDBFiles = true;
    3. #endif

33. fenghou

fenghou

It does not work, even if I change the value to false. But the interface is right, thank you. I will try it again.

34. fenghou

fenghou

I still can't get it to work. Please help...

The command line is:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. /c/Program\ Files/Unity/Editor/Unity.exe \
    2.   -quit \
    3.   -batchmode \
    4.   -buildTarget "StandaloneWindows64" \
    5.   -executeMethod BuildCommand.PerformBuild \
    6.   ...
    The build codes are:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     public static void PerformBuild()
    2.     {
    3.         Console.WriteLine(":: Performing build");
    4.         var buildTarget = GetBuildTarget();
    5.         var buildPath = GetBuildPath();
    6.         var buildName = Application.productName;
    7.         var fixedBuildPath = GetFixedBuildPath(buildTarget, buildPath, buildName);
    9.         UnityEditor.WindowsStandalone.UserBuildSettings.copyPDBFiles = false;
    11.         ModifyScenes();
    13.         BuildPipeline.BuildPlayer(GetScenes(), fixedBuildPath, buildTarget, GetBuildOptions());
    14.         Console.WriteLine(":: Done with build");
    15.     }

35. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Could you describe what doesn't work?

36. fenghou

fenghou

After the game is built, the .pdb files are still in the target directory.

37. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you list which PDB files get copied in your case?

38. fenghou

fenghou

There are 4 pdb files in the "Managed" directory:

Assembly-CSharp.pdb
    Unity.TextMeshPro.pdb
    spine-unity.pdb
    Unity.Analytics.DataPrivacy.pdb

And no pdb files found in other directories.

39. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

So, Copy PDB Files doesn't control that. I believe that is controlled by development build checkbox. These files used to be ".mdb" in the past, but Unity's C# compiler adopted the portable PDB format.

Copy PDB files only control native Windows .pdb files for native DLLs. These PDBs are different than the PDBs for C# code. I agree that the setting name is confusing...

40. fenghou

fenghou

OK, thank you for your explanation. I have to use Axel-F's code.

41. dec-dev0

dec-dev0

So https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/WindowsStandaloneBinaries.html is incomplete because it stated:
    It should say Symbol files for debugging the Unity Player exe

By the way, GetBuildTargetName from the BuildPipeline should be public, not external to allow manipulating PlatformSettings using EditorUserBuildSettings.SetPlatformSettings