Search Unity

Why Unity 2019 and not 2020?

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by fran_m, Oct 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fran_m

fran_m

Hi,
    Can anyone explain to me why has been choosen Unity 2019 instead of Unity 2020?
    I cannot see the advantage of using 2019 on a new game project, when the project be released to producton 2020 could be in LTS version. Is really 2020 so unstable compared to 2019 LTS? what is the advantage?
    Thanks

2. MileyUnity

MileyUnity

At Unity we always recommend our users to use the latest LTS version instead of one of our TECH streams. We only recommend using TECH releases if there’s a feature you truly need for your production project, if not then we recommend you to stay on the LTS releases.

This project will try to follow our own recommendations as much as possible though if there’s a valid reason for us to steer in a different direction then we can look in to that when needed but I doubt we’ll need to upgrade outside of the 2019.4 LTS branch.

You can read more about it here https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/04/0...g-the-tech-and-long-term-support-lts-streams/ with the latest update about 2020 being posted here https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/01/29/switching-to-two-releases-in-the-2020-tech-stream/

Ryiah, Mauri, Neonage and 1 other person like this.
  3. Neonage

Neonage

There is no need to use 2020 for the project of this scope, as we won't use bleeding-edge tech. (except Animation Rigging and Burst)

And talking about LTS, 2019.4.7 has some bugs with recomplication where package can randomly became not referenced (other scripts throwing errors), or script is not updated after rename in IDE, resulting in the need to reimport it. Haven't encountered it in 2020, was it fixed in latest LTS?

4. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

I think I might have seen this yesterday? But then it kinda fixed itself. Let me know if you see it again and you have more info, maybe we can report it.
    At the moment the project is on 2019.4.11f1 anyway, so maybe it's an issue of the past.

5. fran_m

fran_m

Unity 2020, does not make the development easier?
    And what happens if you start a project in an older version, the project succeeds and expands and you need the new features of the new Unity version?

6. Mauri

Mauri

See @MileyUnity's reply above.

7. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Which house do you want your children to live in?

Unity 2019
    Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 8.52.18 AM.png

Unity 2020
    Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 8.53.03 AM.png

bonus: the 2019 house does not magically disappear when the 2020 house is completed.

other analogies:
    • the 2 houses are across the street from each other, both are in the same school district.
    • You can easily walk back and forth between the two houses.
    • the 2020 house will have a jacuzzi in the master bathroom (there are no walls or roof yet, but you can sit in the jacuzzi and imagine how it will be once there are walls)
    • Someone mentioned the 2019 house will get a jacuzzi too, but it will be smaller because it wasn't in the original plan.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  8. Kamyker

Kamyker

2019.4 makes sense for this project as it's learning resource.

I hope in the future other kinds of Open Projects will take place that will aim to improve the engine and try new packages. In that case tech or even beta should be used to look for bugs and have access to the newest features (for ex. URP 10.0 requires Unity 2020.2). Something between what Internal Production Team is doing and open-project-1.

From my experience 2020.1 is more stable than 2019.4, at least when I switched to that version 1.5 months ago.

Neonage likes this.
  9. Neonage

Neonage

Fun story: A month ago I wanted to start open-source open-world game project made purely with DOTS.
    It would be so much harded to make comparing to this project :confused:

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Upgrading mid-project is a typically trivial process. Worst case if anything breaks this project will have plenty of experienced developers to fix the problems.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  11. Neonage

Neonage

By the way, the only thing I really need from 2020.1 is generic types serialization.
    AFAIK it was only limitational issue. Is it possible to backport it to LTS?

12. Neonage

Neonage

It appeard randomly again after editor script save and before recompilation.

upload_2020-10-4_16-0-9.png

13. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

If you can find clear reproduction steps, you could file a bug and attach the project as a reproduction case.

14. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

And if you can’t reliably reproduce it since it may have random factors or it needs multiple days of your time to narrow down, just accept that that’s how Unity is, because no one is going to fix it.

15. Neonage

Neonage

Yes, it's really random, I'll see if it happens with player assembly scripts

16. MileyUnity

MileyUnity

Before this thread starts going way off-topic, I'm going to close it as the question has been answered. @Neonage if you're able to create a reproduction for that bug then please file it and the team will have a look :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.